PDA

View Full Version : Hey Apple! Hurry up on a larger screen ipod!!

freeny
Jan 3, 2006, 09:00 AM
While I was out shopping for x-mas I came across several other portable video devices that had much larger screens. I must say they were SWEET! Not sure on the functionality of them but the bigger screen was very nice. I WANT ONE! I really wish apple would make a seperate "video iPod" and not an iPod with video capabilities for us video nuts. Something seperate from the music centric pod so as not to piss off the established market.

HURRY BEFORE I BUY ONE OF THESE OTHER CRAPPY DEVICES!!!!

revenuee
Jan 3, 2006, 09:11 AM
While I was out shopping for x-mas I came across several other portable video devices that had much larger screens. I must say they were SWEET! Not sure on the functionality of them but the bigger screen was very nice. I WANT ONE! I really wish apple would make a seperate "video iPod" and not an iPod with video capabilities for us video nuts. Something seperate from the music centric pod so as not to piss off the established market.

interesting post ... but wouldn't it make more sense to write this possibility to apple rather then on a rumors site that other then a huge fan boy haven (yes i am a fan boy) has no real affiliation with apple?

with that said --- a larger screen would be nice for video, but i wonder if apple would really want to make for form factor bigger OR completely change the form factor of the controls --- who knows ... with a new chip architecture in the computers we will probably see a new design in all of the computers, i see no reason to believe the iPod won't change under the intel regieme

BornAgainMac
Jan 3, 2006, 09:21 AM
iBook Nano should do the trick.

Lacero
Jan 3, 2006, 09:21 AM
iPod is still first and foremost a music player. Video is just a bonus. If the video screen were to be any bigger, most people, notably myself, wouldn't carry it around, since it's too big to fit in a purse or in a pocket.

I'll leave big screen viewing on my PB.

Here's to the Crazy Ones http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35452 (http://www.uriah.com/apple-qt/movies/think-different.mov)

BlizzardBomb
Jan 3, 2006, 09:25 AM
The only way to make the screen larger without making the iPod larger is by having a horizontally-held iPod (similar to PSP but a lot smaller) and/or using touch screen technology, but I think it's fine how it is.

miloblithe
Jan 3, 2006, 09:25 AM
The only way to make the screen bigger and make it still pocketable would be, it seems to me, to change the interface and put the controls on the sides.

Doesn't sound very iPod like.

miloblithe
Jan 3, 2006, 09:26 AM
Jinx! Buy me a coke!

freeny
Jan 3, 2006, 10:57 AM
interesting post ... but wouldn't it make more sense to write this possibility to apple rather then on a rumors site that other then a huge fan boy haven (yes i am a fan boy) has no real affiliation with apple?

Im 100% sure that apple secretly reads these posts, If they are smart they do. There are lawsuits to prove it. I wouldnt be surprized if they hired a guy to do nothing other than sit and read rumor posts and log them (Hi apple rumor dude;) )

The other posts on this thread didnt really address what I said in my OP. I said they need to make a seperate "Video iPod". Leave the "iPod" as it is. Don't rock the boat. I think they have been shown that there is enough interest in a portable video player. One that is video centric apart from the current iPod. Bigger screen, larger storage. I don't care if its bigger than the iPod nor do I think other videophiles do either. The video screen as is is too small as it stands. I now watch more video on my iPod then listen to music, go figure:eek:

BlizzardBomb
Jan 3, 2006, 11:06 AM
The only way to make the screen bigger and make it still pocketable would be, it seems to me, to change the interface and put the controls on the sides.

Hehe! Funny how we both used "The only way to make the screen..." at the start!

Jovian9
Jan 3, 2006, 12:51 PM
I do not think they need a video iPod, but something more like a PocketMac for this area. If it's going to have a bigger screen, it needs to be touch screen. If it is going to be geared more towards watching movies, it needs to have a big hard drive. This should be a portable Mac that runs OSX, or a portable version of OSX. Though I do not want one of these. I'd rather have (as someone mentioned above) an iBook or PowerBook Nano/Mini.

Thanatoast
Jan 3, 2006, 02:00 PM
The other thing to remember is the format that current ipod formatted movies are sold in. Would Apple change the size? Would they have to get a new chip in order to handle the extra pixels? What about all those people who bought tv shows and such at the lower res? I'm sure they wouldn't get to re-download their purchases. The problem's a lot larger than just providing a larger screen.

Of course, it would be nice to watch downloaded shows off of itunes on a regular tv without a pained expression. But life has not provided for us in this way.

dejo
Jan 3, 2006, 02:05 PM

If your only criteria for deciding the best portable video device out there is the screen size, you should re-evaluate your decision process. Either that or go out and buy a Monster Truck. ;)

freeny
Jan 3, 2006, 02:10 PM
If your only criteria for deciding the best portable video device out there is the screen size, you should re-evaluate your decision process. Either that or go out and buy a Monster Truck. ;)
Huh? :confused:

dejo
Jan 3, 2006, 02:20 PM
Huh? :confused:

A Monster Truck has the biggest tires of any vehicle out there. Therefore, it must be the best, right?

freeny
Jan 3, 2006, 03:06 PM
A Monster Truck has the biggest tires of any vehicle out there. Therefore, it must be the best, right?
Are you sure you read my OP?

If you are implying that one of my criteria for watching videos on a portable device is being able to watch it clearly and comfortably? Well then, bring on Bigfoot!:p

I am all for Apple, I own quite a bit of stock and certainly want them to succeed. But I've seen better "video" players as far as screen size. I have never actually used one of these devices so I cant make any decisions on that fact. I would certainly prefer to have an Apple "Video" Player. But unless Apple becomes serious about a portable "video" player, others will take up the market. So far;

iPod movie downloads=NO.
Larger screen=NO.
WMV movie downloads=YES (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=170434).
Larger screens on WMV supported players=YES.

Perhaps this will all change next week? I hope so but not counting on it.
Come on Steve, surprise me:)

gnasher729
Jan 3, 2006, 03:26 PM
The only way to make the screen larger without making the iPod larger is by having a horizontally-held iPod (similar to PSP but a lot smaller) and/or using touch screen technology, but I think it's fine how it is.

There is really no way to make the screen larger without making the iPod larger. With a larger screen, you get larger resolution, that means more power needed to decode your movies, which means shorter battery life unless you make the battery bigger, and that means the case needs to become bigger. You can only play 2 hours of video only as it is; anything less would be unacceptable.

I think you'll have to wait a bit until someone develops a chip that can decode H.264 using less power.

freeny
Jan 3, 2006, 03:30 PM
There is really no way to make the screen larger without making the iPod larger. With a larger screen, you get larger resolution, that means more power needed to decode your movies, which means shorter battery life unless you make the battery bigger, and that means the case needs to become bigger.

I need to work more so I can buy more coke, I need to do more coke so I can work more, I need to work more so I can buy more coke, I need to do more coke so I can work more.......:D

Sorry, Your post just reminded me of that old commercial.

ToastMaster
Jan 3, 2006, 07:15 PM
An iPod with a screen about 3/4 the size of the Creative Zen's screen would be cool with me. The Zen is waaay too big and thick, but a device with a screen like that and about 4th gen iPod thickness would probably be possible and would be very cool. I wouldn't mind whether it was button control or touchscreen.

maya
Jan 3, 2006, 07:19 PM

There are other options available , such as:

1. external remote.

2. stylus.

External remote would work best. And it would fit in without the crappy dock remote, which is a money grab. ;) :)

ToastMaster
Jan 3, 2006, 07:43 PM
Actually, I think a stylus would be a great idea. It would probably keep more smudges off the screen. But scratching could be a problem I guess.

maya
Jan 3, 2006, 07:46 PM
Actually, I think a stylus would be a great idea. It would probably keep more smudges off the screen. But scratching could be a problem I guess.

It would make inputing information a new feature, however it would make the quick and easy navigation a problem. That is the strength of the click-wheel.

Having a combination of both a remote and stylus would be great. ;)

dejo
Jan 3, 2006, 07:52 PM
Are you sure you read my OP?

If you are implying that one of my criteria for watching videos on a portable device is being able to watch it clearly and comfortably? Well then, bring on Bigfoot!:p

I am all for Apple, I own quite a bit of stock and certainly want them to succeed. But I've seen better "video" players as far as screen size. I have never actually used one of these devices so I cant make any decisions on that fact. I would certainly prefer to have an Apple "Video" Player. But unless Apple becomes serious about a portable "video" player, others will take up the market. So far;

iPod movie downloads=NO.
Larger screen=NO.
WMV movie downloads=YES (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=170434).
Larger screens on WMV supported players=YES.

Perhaps this will all change next week? I hope so but not counting on it.
Come on Steve, surprise me:)

I'm implying that your only criterion is the screen size. As you've even admitted, you haven't used any of these other video players. I'd like to suggest you consider many criteria, like screen resolution, battery life, inclusion in a nicely integrated solution set, comfortable UI, etc.

freeny
Jan 3, 2006, 08:45 PM
I'm implying that your only criterion is the screen size. As you've even admitted, you haven't used any of these other video players. I'd like to suggest you consider many criteria, like screen resolution, battery life, inclusion in a nicely integrated solution set, comfortable UI, etc.

So what's wrong with a little screen envy?;)

virus1
Jan 3, 2006, 08:57 PM
iPod is still first and foremost a music player. Video is just a bonus. If the video screen were to be any bigger, most people, notably myself, wouldn't carry it around, since it's too big to fit in a purse or in a pocket.

I'll leave big screen viewing on my PB.

Here's to the Crazy Ones http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35452 (http://www.uriah.com/apple-qt/movies/think-different.mov)
well his point was that apple should branch off and make a video player for those dedicated to video. make it a video player first, and a music player second, but still keep the normal ipod. i think that is the smartest thing to do, and i think that they don't even need a bigger screen. they do, however need a huge batterey life improvement if they were to branch out to a video ipod, because currently a 60GB only lasts for 3 hours of video.

ToastMaster
Jan 3, 2006, 11:52 PM
It would make inputing information a new feature

Yeah, but they'd have to probably make a "writing space" like on Palm Pilots so you're not writing (using the Grafitti language or something) on the screen and thus scratching it up with a plastic point.

rdowns
Jan 4, 2006, 01:00 AM
Relax. Video is just a bonus on the iPod. The content deals Apple are making are what's revolutionary. Since they seem to be doing very well, a bigger screen video device (new iPod family?) will come in 2006.

These other devices may have bigger screens but where's the content?

adk
Jan 4, 2006, 01:37 AM
I'm fine with the current screen size. It's fine for watching TV shows, and the whole Ipod isn't too big. If it got too much bigger people would stop carrying it around as much as they do. What the Video Ipods really need is longer life. It's only 2-2.5 hours. This is because of the backlight constantly being on and the hard drive having to spin a lot more. Since batteries are tough to upgrade, why not install 100mb or so of Flash memory instead of just the 8MB buffer (or is it cache, I forget)? It seems to me that this would add to battery time.

freeny
Jan 4, 2006, 08:46 AM
well his point was that apple should branch off and make a video player for those dedicated to video. make it a video player first, and a music player second, but still keep the normal ipod. i think that is the smartest thing to do, and i think that they don't even need a bigger screen. they do, however need a huge batterey life improvement if they were to branch out to a video ipod, because currently a 60GB only lasts for 3 hours of video.
Thank you!:)

For a while there I thought I was speaking a different language.

freeny
Jan 4, 2006, 01:33 PM
Heres an article I just found that agrees with me from Macworld:p
http://www.macworld.com/2006/01/features/multimedialessons/index.php

This of course shows that I am right:D

Bern
Jan 4, 2006, 04:48 PM
My Powerbook serves as useful portable video player when I'm traveling. I can watch a full length movie or anything else comfortably.

I personally don't see the benefit to Apple to produce a portable video player. I guess they see that as one of the features and benefits of their laptops.

maya
Jan 4, 2006, 04:51 PM
Yeah, but they'd have to probably make a "writing space" like on Palm Pilots so you're not writing (using the Grafitti language or something) on the screen and thus scratching it up with a plastic point.

Not really, you can write on the screen and it will not scratch. As long as Apple does not get cheap on us, again. :rolleyes:

Have you seen what other companies are doing with the Nano and iPod line, they are using a better scratch resistant coating. Apple has just gotten cheap on this regard to boost profits. Surprise. :rolleyes: