PDA

View Full Version : Impulsively Bought iBook!

Shaun.P
Jan 3, 2006, 04:12 PM
Hey everyone,

I have a 1.25Ghz eMac, with Superdrive and with 512mb of RAM and 40GB hard drive (32mb graphics also). Today I sort of impulsively bought an iBook 14"!.

I know that on the 9th of January new iBooks will be released - have I made a bad choice?

I like the fact that the iBook has a slightly faster processor and a better graphics card and has bluetooth etc built in (connected fantastically to my Sony Erikson phone) and I am probably going to sell my eMac.
Any ideas on how much money I should expect for it? I like in the UK.

I think my iBook had a dead pixel, but I softly rubbed it with my finger and it is now working.

Thanks for anyones' comments and advice :).

pknz
Jan 3, 2006, 04:18 PM
Bad time to buy it in one sense, updates are rumored to be in the next couple of weeks.

On the other hand good time to buy as you won't be one of the first across to intel which may have some hiccups and the availability of x86 software in the beginning will be low.

How are you going to feel in a few weeks when your newly purchased iBook is no longer the best out?

freeny
Jan 3, 2006, 04:22 PM
If you can cancel and wait a week then do it. If not, I dont think anyone expects anything new to be on the shelves as far as the laptops go. I think the mac mini is the expected change and they just make "announcements" about the laptops. But I dont think they will actually come out until June. Although I could be wrong so like I said, if you can cancel and hold off, do. If not its probably not a big deal its still a fine piece of harware.;)

If they do release intel ibooks next week, you will still be running all your apps on an emulator anyway so no speed increase lost.

kwajaln
Jan 3, 2006, 04:23 PM
How are you going to feel in a few weeks when your newly purchased iBook is no longer the best out?
I think that's a lame way to approach the decision making process. Who cares if you don't have the absolute best product out there, as long as what you do have does exactly what you bought it for??? There is nothing wrong with the current iBooks and the Intel Apples on the horizon shouldn't be held against the current iBooks.

dan-o-mac
Jan 3, 2006, 04:26 PM
If new iBook were to drop on Jan. 9 the prices are going drop on the current iBooks, so you definately screwed up.

mduser63
Jan 3, 2006, 04:34 PM
If new iBook were to drop on Jan. 9 the prices are going drop on the current iBooks, so you definately screwed up.

I wouldn't say buying a current PowerPC iBook is necessarily a bad idea, but I think it's a bad idea right now. If Intel iBooks are released next week, you can decide if you want one of those. If you decide you still want a PowerPC machine, you'll still buy one, and probably at a lot better price than they are right now. If you can, cancel the order or send it back. If you've already opened it though, don't worry too much, just enjoy your new Mac :).

kwajaln
Jan 3, 2006, 04:34 PM
If new iBook were to drop on Jan. 9
IF IF IF . . . The current iBooks are a sure thing. The potential for a price drop is a good point, but a lot of people would rather have what they want NOW and not fret over $100 savings if they wait. Really, that amount of money just doesn't mean much to those who can afford it.

And you "definately" misspelled definitely! :D

amac4me
Jan 3, 2006, 04:39 PM
I recommend cancelling the order if you can. Just wait until after MacWorld to see if there is an announcement of Intel based iBooks.

Le Big Mac
Jan 3, 2006, 04:46 PM
I recommend cancelling the order if you can. Just wait until after MacWorld to see if there is an announcement of Intel based iBooks.

Don't you have 10 days to return? Why not wait and see?

pknz
Jan 3, 2006, 04:55 PM
I think that's a lame way to approach the decision making process. Who cares if you don't have the absolute best product out there, as long as what you do have does exactly what you bought it for??? There is nothing wrong with the current iBooks and the Intel Apples on the horizon shouldn't be held against the current iBooks.

Sure theres not. However over a week I would consider it a HUGE factor in decision making. A week (hopefully) will not kill anyone if he does not buy it now. Especially when the change between the two will be significant PPC (being fazed our) and x86 (being fazed in).

Shaun.P
Jan 3, 2006, 07:36 PM
Thanks for your help. I bought the laptop today from PCWorld (I live in Scotland) and I have opened it etc. I don't think I will be returning it! I just wanted to make sure that it isn't going to be a waste of money!

Damn my impatience!!!

Shaun.P
Jan 3, 2006, 07:37 PM
P.S> I love how they incorporated scrolling into the iBook.

Is the keyboard not meant to sense when it is dark and light up or is this only power books?

mduser63
Jan 3, 2006, 07:41 PM
P.S> I love how they incorporated scrolling into the iBook.

Is the keyboard not meant to sense when it is dark and light up or is this only power books?

That's only the 15" and 17" PowerBooks. iBooks and 12" PowerBooks don't have backlit keyboards.

maya
Jan 3, 2006, 07:52 PM
Majority vote says to "cancel the order." I would listen to that majority. :)

California
Jan 3, 2006, 07:57 PM
WHat'd you pay?

I have same book and I love it and I don't care what iBook is coming out. Just bought applecare for it and we're going ahead for the next three years intel less.

kwajaln
Jan 3, 2006, 08:53 PM
Listening to the majority is not always the best idea. A hundred years ago the majority thought slavery was a great practice. Extreme example, but don't go with the majority just for the sake of going with the majority.

I have same book and I love it and I don't care what iBook is coming out.
Now THAT sounds excellent ! ! ! ;)

virus1
Jan 4, 2006, 12:40 AM
doesn't apple have some sort of "if you bought in the past 15 days, we will replace your comp" on thier new releases or something?

nichos
Jan 4, 2006, 01:00 AM
doesn't apple have some sort of "if you bought in the past 15 days, we will replace your comp" on thier new releases or something?

I think they give you some cash difference or something, but they don't give you a replacement AFAIK.

I for one would rather have my 1.2g iBook (Just over a yr) than a revision A apple anything:rolleyes: Not only is this new hardware, this is also kind of a new OS, how will these apps run under rosetta? I'll let someone else tell me:)

OnceUGoMac
Jan 4, 2006, 01:26 AM
A hundred years ago the majority thought slavery was a great practice.

You may want to readjust your timeline there.:p

pknz
Jan 4, 2006, 01:40 AM
Listening to the majority is not always the best idea. A hundred years ago the majority thought slavery was a great practice. Extreme example, but don't go with the majority just for the sake of going with the majority.

I guess you'd then agree that this goes hand in hand with the majority of the world wanting to cut down on green house gases and slow global warming. Yet George Bush and his country still are rejecting that.

shadowmoses
Jan 4, 2006, 03:12 AM
I know that Apple UK offer a 28day money back guarentee if you are not satisfied with your purchase so keep it in good condition then return it if a better iBook comes out at macworld.

SHadow

maverick808
Jan 4, 2006, 06:25 AM
I know that Apple UK offer a 28day money back guarentee if you are not satisfied with your purchase so keep it in good condition then return it if a better iBook comes out at macworld.

SHadow

I live in the UK too and I'm not sure this is correct. I know that if you buy online from Apple then the Distance Selling Regulations 2000 mean that you have 7 days during which you can return for any reason. I also know that if you buy in the education store Apple give you 14 days to return for any reason.

However, I am quite sure that unless the product is faulty then if you buy from an actual highstreet store then you do not have the right to return a non-faulty product for a refund. I'm not saying the store definitely won't let you - just that you don't have a right under the law.

Also, I have returned 3 iMacs, 1 PowerBook and various bits and bobs to Apple over the last 2 months and have spoken to them about their return policies. At no point did they mention a 28 day money back guarantee and a couple of times the person I spoke to actually said "let me just check that's within the 14 day return period".

If you have a reference that states a 28 day money back guarantee I'd love to see it.

jblock
Jan 4, 2006, 08:24 AM
There's only going to be an announcement in a week. Does anyone really believe there's going to intel Macs on store shelves next week?

If you're happy with your new iBook I say keep it. Who knows when new ones will be available, and you never know what issues the first generation will have. If history is any guide there's bound to be an issue or two.

maverick808
Jan 4, 2006, 08:34 AM
I think the original poster has decided to keep it but I would definitely have sold it simply because you are going to lose more money on this than you would normally buying a mac.

Say in a year's time you are selling this iBook and at that point every single machine Apple is selling is now an Intel. How much do you think people will be willing to pay for something they know is obsolete and, at that point, not going to be supported much in the near future?

If this was one year ago and you had an iBook then you'd know that in a year's time you would still have good resale value. If you waited a week or so and got an Intel iBook you would know that in a year's time your machine would have good resell value. However, buying right now is silly because...

1) It's almost certain that there will be a MUCH better machine within a month.
2) You're throwing money away when it comes to reselling.

iDM
Jan 4, 2006, 08:35 AM
My .02 with looming updates a possiblity, price drops, potentially new software that may run on it, I would not have bought one. I'm sure you'll still love it for years to come since OS X will run smoothly for a long time on that system.

JimmyDTU
Jan 4, 2006, 08:55 AM
I think the original poster has decided to keep it but I would definitely have sold it simply because you are going to lose more money on this than you would normally buying a mac.

Say in a year's time you are selling this iBook and at that point every single machine Apple is selling is now an Intel. How much do you think people will be willing to pay for something they know is obsolete and, at that point, not going to be supported much in the near future?

If this was one year ago and you had an iBook then you'd know that in a year's time you would still have good resale value. If you waited a week or so and got an Intel iBook you would know that in a year's time your machine would have good resell value. However, buying right now is silly because...

1) It's almost certain that there will be a MUCH better machine within a month.
2) You're throwing money away when it comes to reselling.

Since when do you buy a computer based on its future resale value? If you buy a computer knowing that you're going to sell it in a year, isn't that a bad investment? Shouldn't you be looking into something a little more permanent than that?
If you're happy with your purchase now, and don't mind having a perfectly functioning computer that might not be the cream of the crop in a week or month's time (but what is these days? new computers are churned out all the time), I say stick with your impulsiveness.

Abstract
Jan 4, 2006, 09:53 AM
Who cares if you don't have the absolute best product out there, as long as what you do have does exactly what you bought it for??? There is nothing wrong with the current iBooks and the Intel Apples on the horizon shouldn't be held against the current iBooks.

You wouldn't be singing that tune if you were the one who (knowingly or unknowingly) paid a lot of money for something that will/might be updated in 4 days or so. Whether a product does what you want is one thing, but for the same amount of money, you want the best that you can get.

Price dropping on the exact same model you just bought is one good point. A few upgrades and better specs on the new model is another.

And the "rev A" iBook won't be that bad. The OS will work fine, and laptops with "Intel Inside" aren't exactly new. Other Wintel laptop makers use Intel all the time, so its not like Apple is delving into brand new hardware territory.

I wouldn't say buying a current PowerPC iBook is necessarily a bad idea, but I think it's a bad idea right now. If Intel iBooks are released next week, you can decide if you want one of those. If you decide you still want a PowerPC machine, you'll still buy one, and probably at a lot better price than they are right now. If you can, cancel the order or send it back. If you've already opened it though, don't worry too much, just enjoy your new Mac :).

Best advice given in a long time. :)

jblock
Jan 4, 2006, 10:19 AM
And the "rev A" iBook won't be that bad. The OS will work fine, and laptops with "Intel Inside" aren't exactly new. Other Wintel laptop makers use Intel all the time, so its not like Apple is delving into brand new hardware territory.

The PowerPC chip isn't new either, but that hasn't stopped Apple from releasing new products with the chip that have problems.

Shaun.P
Jan 4, 2006, 10:44 AM
Thank you for all your help.

I have some further questions: I know iBooks are prone to logic board errors etc - is the specific model I have extremely susetible to this?

I have placed my eMac on eBay - tell me what you think and if you have any suggestions. I had to use my phone camera as my Nikon Coolpix is now malfunctioning (Coolpix 2100 - when I switch it on in any mode apart from Setup, the lens comes out, the screen stays black then it switches itself off :().

So - I used my phone camera (Sony Ericsson K608i and sent the files to my iBook via bluetooth!) Amazing!!!

Is my iBook able to connect to networks such of those found in Uni's? i.e. wireless? Most computers in my uni are dells so does that mean my iBook wouldn't be able to connect?

Edit 1: Whoops forgot eBay link! Here it is. (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5850432570)

Edit 2: Forgot to mention - I went on Crucial today to buy 512mb of RAM for my iBook to bring it to 1GB however they don't have any in stock of the kind I need! I phoned them up and they won't have them in until the 16th of this month :(. Is there anywhere else I can buy good Mac memory in the UK?

dan-o-mac
Jan 4, 2006, 11:26 AM
IF IF IF . . . The current iBooks are a sure thing. The potential for a price drop is a good point, but a lot of people would rather have what they want NOW and not fret over $100 savings if they wait. Really, that amount of money just doesn't mean much to those who can afford it.

And you "definately" misspelled definitely! :D

I definitely suck at spelling! The thing is does he really WANT the iBook? If he did would he be posting this?

maverick808
Jan 4, 2006, 11:29 AM
The thing is does he really WANT the iBook? If he did would he be posting this?

Yeah, he really wants the iBook but when the new ones are announced he'll really really WANT one of the new ones. ;)

maverick808
Jan 4, 2006, 11:39 AM
Since when do you buy a computer based on its future resale value?

Every time I buy a machine.

Actually, I find it's significantly cheaper to renew your machine every year than buy one say every three years. Say every year you sell your current machine for $1200 and buy a new one for $1500. Do that three years in a row and that means over the next three years you spend $900. Say, on the other hand you keep a machine for three years. Probably when you sell it you'll be lucky to get a couple of hundred for it as at that point it's a piece of junk so you're going to lose out overall.

So, by selling and rebuying every year you'll save money AND you'll always have a kick-ass machine instead of spending two out of every three years using something that is probably pretty slow.

I sell machines all the time and it's definitely cheaper this way and it's far more pleasurable using the latest machines than putting up with old ones.

jblock
Jan 4, 2006, 12:54 PM
Is my iBook able to connect to networks such of those found in Uni's? i.e. wireless? Most computers in my uni are dells so does that mean my iBook wouldn't be able to connect?

Yes. You can set up using Network Preferences whether the machine connects automatically to whatever open network it finds. You can also define a network as a preferred one and it will automatically connect to those, provided you've saved the passwords.

Shaun.P
Jan 5, 2006, 06:49 AM
I bought memory for my iBook through a place recommended as a Kingston reseller.

Kingston 512MB Memory Upgrade Apple PC2700 SODIMM M8995G/A
Manufacturer Component Number : KTA-PBG4333/512

Can someone please tell me if I have the correct stuff? I went through the details on the Kingston website - entiring manufacturer as Apple, model as iBook but on their website it says that memory is for PowerBooks? Hmm :confused:.

Palad1
Jan 5, 2006, 07:11 AM
You Don't Buy a Rev. A. So your rev.d PPC iBook is a wise choice (provided that you can't wait 6 months for a laptop) :cool:

plinkoman
Jan 5, 2006, 08:29 AM
If you can cancel and wait a week then do it.
If you can, cancel the order or send it back.
I recommend cancelling the order if you can.

man, i love how everyone can reply without even reading the full post
:p :D

...and has bluetooth etc built in (connected fantastically to my Sony Erikson phone)...

...I think my iBook had a dead pixel, but I softly rubbed it with my finger and it is now working...
^first post
it'd be pretty hard to rub out a dead pixel or connect to his bluetooth phone if it were still in a box in china ;) :p :D

on a serious note, you've got a great machine. the existence of a newer or better one doesn't in any way make yours worse. especially when the newer better machine has no native software and is littered with rev.A bugs ;)

emotion
Jan 5, 2006, 10:38 AM
Thanks for anyones' comments and advice :).

What kind of comments and advice are you after?

What else can I say other than unless PCWorld knocked this out very cheap then I'd have waited. If you really needed one right away then you probably should have waited however.

Dagless
Jan 5, 2006, 10:48 AM
Maybe a bad idea... what you just bought will be worth a lot less in the next few weeks, if new iBooks are out. if not then you lost nothing and you can play with your pretty and brilliant machine in peace :)

Shaun.P
Jan 24, 2006, 08:17 AM
Well, I'm glad new iBooks were not anounced. I am pretty happy with my machine and I have bought 512MB of Kingston RAM, so I now have 1GB of RAM :).

I am going to start a new topic as I want advice on three products I want to buy for my iBook.