PDA

View Full Version : itunes won't let me add to library - HELP

capt.ez
Jan 3, 2006, 08:28 PM
hey what gives...itunes won't let me add to library..I'm still new to this...

mad jew
Jan 3, 2006, 08:30 PM
How are you adding (or not, as the case may be)? What file format are you using? What OS are you on? :)

capt.ez
Jan 3, 2006, 08:33 PM
I'm adding mp3, to windows xp.....

mad jew
Jan 3, 2006, 08:34 PM
By just dragging them into the iTunes library?

capt.ez
Jan 3, 2006, 08:35 PM
dragging or file add file to library:)

mad jew
Jan 3, 2006, 08:37 PM
What happens? Does it give you a dialogue box? Does it respond at all? Are these songs already in iTunes? :)

2nyRiggz
Jan 3, 2006, 08:38 PM
what r u using as your primary media player? WM?.....are you talking about all songs including purchase music?

Bless

capt.ez
Jan 3, 2006, 08:39 PM
these songs r not in itunes, nothing happens, no diaglog box...etc...is there only a certain number of mp3s can be added to itunes?

capt.ez
Jan 3, 2006, 08:41 PM
I have many songs I've downloaded over the years and want them now on itunes and I do WM but I'm letting itunes use its player...does this matter

mad jew
Jan 3, 2006, 08:41 PM
I doubt anyone has found iTunes' limit with respect to song storage. I have 13,000 at the moment and it's fine.

Where are you adding these songs from? What are they stored on? Are they on a hard drive or an iPod or something removable?

Sorry for all the questions but this is a pretty bizarre problem. :)

2nyRiggz
Jan 3, 2006, 08:43 PM
itunes should have copied all those songs over from WM...unless u told it not to on the 1st install. change the primary media player to itunes and see what happens.

Bless

capt.ez
Jan 3, 2006, 08:43 PM
i have many songs in mp3 format and adding some new ripped ones recently...they are kept on my c;drive in my music folders with sub music folders by genre.....

capt.ez
Jan 3, 2006, 08:44 PM
let me ask this....what is the best way to get my songs from the hard drive to itunes?

mad jew
Jan 3, 2006, 08:47 PM
Normally, the best way is to drag the folder holding those tunes into the open iTunes library window.

The only semi-relevant article I've found is about permissions (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300198) but it doesn't seem to apply. :o

capt.ez
Jan 3, 2006, 08:50 PM
ok, wait...I'm under the impression that I have to add all the mp3s to the library them drag them to the genre folders on the left that I created in iTunes to put them there for my ipod to upload when I plug it in....:)

mad jew
Jan 3, 2006, 08:55 PM
Do you mean the playlist folders? This shouldn't be necessary and it shouldn't have anything to do with the adding problem though.

capt.ez
Jan 3, 2006, 08:56 PM
yeah...lets leave the playlist folders out of it....

2nyRiggz
Jan 3, 2006, 08:56 PM
drag the folder that has your music to the itunes music folder on your computer.

Bless

capt.ez
Jan 3, 2006, 09:01 PM
just open itunes and the explorer on C:drive and drag the heavy metal folder into itunes...and that will do what? will there be floder in itunes then....? that says heavy metal ??

mad jew
Jan 3, 2006, 09:13 PM
Is there enough free space for your music library? There's a setting in the iTunes preferences that means when you add music, it adds (copies) the files to it's own location. Perhaps there's not enough space on the hard drive to effectively have your library twice over.

FWIW, I'm adding my 70GB of music to iTunes on an XP machine right now. I simply dragged my music folder into iTunes and it's working although it can take a while to respond.

2nyRiggz's idea won't add the music to the library.

2nyRiggz
Jan 3, 2006, 09:29 PM
i still dont see why itunes didnt catch his songs on his drive. it doesnt sound like he fix anything in itunes...sounds like he just install it and it didnt pick up the songs....BUT when itunes installs for the 1st time it always ask if you want the songs transfered....ummmmm

Bless

mad jew
Jan 3, 2006, 09:30 PM
Yeah, it's weird. The only time I've seen this happen is when the music is already in the library and iTunes is set to look after the files. :confused:

capt.ez
Jan 3, 2006, 09:42 PM
thx. for all the help I believe the dragging my folders from the explorer did the trick and now when I rip more songs off of my old cds....and but them into the folders I created I can just replace them and delete the old ones...thx.again...

from hurricane ravaged new orleans.

mad jew
Jan 3, 2006, 09:45 PM
Use iTunes to organise your music and rip your CDs. Most people find it much easier. Make sure Keep iTunes Music Folder Organised is checked. :)

2nyRiggz
Jan 3, 2006, 09:48 PM
go into advance in itunes and check to see where itunes is pointing....just to check if everything is on the up and up.

Bless

captainowow
Dec 24, 2008, 11:06 AM
I recently purchased an iMAC and have previous experience with itunes in Windows.
I have downloaded some music (.mp3) Limewire (please don't reprimand mew for this -please):o
I select my itunes folder
I can see this music in the folder from the ADD TO LIBRARY pop-up window
I select the song
NOTHING happens
I have other mp3 songs in several folders and can play them from itunes but I cannot ADD the song to any playlist folder.
What have I done wrong

BayouBengal
Dec 24, 2008, 12:32 PM
hey what gives...itunes won't let me add to library..I'm still new to this...

Make sure the files are not .wma or perhaps some protected format with DRM from some service not named iTunes. I've had to rerip CD's that back in my Windows days, Windows Media Player ripped to WMA and that doesn't play nice with iTunes in OSX.

Jimmetry
Aug 27, 2010, 08:56 AM
The solution is to re-encode them. Easiest way is using a shell script:

#!/bin/bash
OLDIFS=$IFS
IFS=$'\n\b'
for f in $(ls *.mp3); do lame -b 320 "$f" "New__$f"; done
IFS=$OLDIFS

BrianInNY
May 29, 2011, 10:25 PM
What gives?! I have same problems (iTunes 10.0.1.22) as capt.ez. Rebuilding library from hdd crash (western Digital wd1002faex-dont buy worthless hard drive...dont need sata III for mech. hdd anyway). Music (ALL mp3) on new drive; I go into a folder select all, drag to iTunes, little blue frame highlights in main area, and release. Everything hunky dory. Then I get to a folder, same procedure, little blue frame highlights, but when I release mouse button nothing happens. Go to menu add file..nada. Go to menu, add folder, same. Don't get it. I'm on third folder of music. Doesn't matter vbr or cbr, stereo or joint stereo, just wont work :mad:

I even ejected iPod from comp, doesn't help.
Exited and restarted iTunes, no dice.
Also when starting iTunes I get this scarddlg.dll error, maybe something?

BrianInNY
May 29, 2011, 11:03 PM
okay so I got two of the three folders' worth of music in the library by doing this:

copy whole folder to: My Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Autotragically Add to iTunes
somehow this time songs appeared in iTunes
delete folder (think i'll manage on my own thanks)
exclamation marks appear alerting me that iTunes can't find these files all of a sudden (oh noes!)
click on first song in the series
click yes I want to show you where they're really stored
navigate to the real folder, selecting song
then it asks if I want iTunes to find the other 13,780 something songs (sure maybe you'll find the other fifteen songs in this folder...FAIL)
repeat process 15 more times, this time cancelling iTunes request to look the other 13,779 songs
Google Steve Jobs home address so I know where to send anthrax laced mail bomb...still looking; I'm coming for you buddy! :eek:

NOW for some reason when doing second album iTunes decides to not only add the song from Automatically Add to iTunes, but it also simultaneously adds the ones from the real location, prompting me to delete the songs and readd them from true location; this time it works (for that particular folder). Third folder FAIL FAIL FAIL; won't even go into iTunes to Autocrappy folder, BOOO!!! :mad: Now I remember why Apple sux so bad; time to look for better portable mp3 player, jettison iTunes, live happily ever after!