PDA

View Full Version : iBook Gone MAD!

topspin98
Jan 3, 2006, 10:09 PM
Heyy this may seem very unusal (to me) but my iBook is starting to work like a Dell. My dell is slow and screwed up and clogged w/ virus and crap.

My iBook is extremely slow, it takes about 5-7 minutes to turn on (used to be 30 sec.). My apps wont load ( takes a few minutes to even open iChat!)

Ive recently taken my iBook in for repairs on my screen and the repair came back unfinished! I really am not having a good time with my favorite computer.

The computer has been freezing up as well. I just recently saved up about 30 gigs of space on the 80gig drive. and theres a 512mb ram. my drive is now 54.23gig left. I really wish this would not be like this.

I am willing to even buy a new iBook! but if theres an easier way....

Will the Macintel iBooks be worth saving for?

Thanks,
Jake

mad jew
Jan 3, 2006, 10:19 PM
Okay, since the iBook came back unrepaired, maybe take it back to them and demand they finish the job.

As for the slowness, open Activity Monitor and see if there's a process using up a lot of resources. Take out any third party RAM where applicable. Run fsck (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214) and unplug all peripherals. Create a new account and see if the problems are also in that account. I think that's a pretty good start. :)

iBlue
Jan 3, 2006, 10:19 PM
now i'm not an expert by any means but have you tried running disk utility or perhaps something like OnyX (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20070) ? i had some slow downs because of "aftermarket" fonts i had installed (the font caches were huge) and some other such things going on that OnyX cleared up.
just a wee bit of input, just in case. :)

edit: doh, mad jew replied already, he'd know. ;) :)

mad jew
Jan 3, 2006, 10:21 PM
i had some slow downs because of "aftermarket" fonts i had installed (the font caches were huge)...

That's an excellent point. Are there any apps or fonts you've installed recently? :)

topspin98
Jan 3, 2006, 11:04 PM
First of all..

iBook is back to normal and works as if i just bought it!!!

Thank you.

What i did was i downloaded OnlyX and had it wash out cache and other space taking things. I went into Activity Monitor and saw that a cache of some sort was taking space so that was washed in OnlyX.
I decided to make a new account on the iBook. So I went in it and it was fast and like a new begining so i transfered my 6 gigs of music over to the new name and deleted the other one. And so far my iBook is great!
All i have to do is stomp up to the Apple Store and demand repair! Thanks

PS- Macworld sounds exciting to find whats coming out

Jake:)