PDA

View Full Version : Wow!

spakle
Jan 4, 2006, 05:17 AM
These are the new units from XM satellite radio. Apple better start working with XM and Sirius or they might eventually have a problem on their hands. Units can play sat radio, play mp3's, and you can mark a song and later hook up with Napster to purchase and download. Satellite radio completely Rocks! Apple should be apart of this.

Deepdale
Jan 4, 2006, 05:22 AM
... Satellite radio completely Rocks! Apple should be apart of this.

I like the look on those models and plan to purchase a satellite radio this spring.

.Andy
Jan 4, 2006, 05:31 AM
One man's Wow! is another man's Barf....how would an ipod look with a great whopping licorice arial?

Of interest how popular is satellite radio? Or is it another digital TV where it has to be rammed down people's throats for uptake?

Chundles
Jan 4, 2006, 05:36 AM
What's satellite radio?:confused: ;) We don't have that new-fangled work-of-the-devil satellite radio down here. Hell, HDTV barely raises an interest here - that's what happens when all the good stuff costs waaay too much.

.Andy
Jan 4, 2006, 05:55 AM
What's satellite radio?:confused: ;) We don't have that new-fangled work-of-the-devil satellite radio down here.
I gather it's a *sparkly new* radio distribution system that broadcasts the same crap as before ;). Although this time snappy marketing has convinced people to pay a monthly subscription for something they can otherwise get for free, in addition to purchasing proprietry recievers for their home, car, personal music player etc.

Sounds fantastic :rolleyes:. Or am I missing something really exciting about it that makes it worth it :confused:?

Chundles
Jan 4, 2006, 06:20 AM
I gather it's a *sparkly new* radio distribution system that broadcasts the same crap as before ;). Although this time snappy marketing has convinced people to pay a monthly subscription for something they can otherwise get for free, in addition to purchasing proprietry recievers for their home, car, personal music player etc.

Sounds fantastic :rolleyes:. Or am I missing something really exciting about it that makes it worth it :confused:?

It's basically CD quality, ad-free radio broadcast from the heavens that you have to pay for. We had it in Canada at the ski resort and they tuned us into a station that played the same songs on a 24 hour loop. We could tell what time of day it was just by what song was on.... awful I tells ya, just awful.

The whole cost issue is why it hasn't taken off here yet - that and covering 20 million people over an area the size of the US just isn't economical for the broadcasters. Look at digital TV, the government has said that it will be switching off analogue TV in 2008 although they expect people to buy a TV capable of displaying the digital signal, a digital TV set top box and for a lot of people with very bad antenna wiring they have to have that re-done too. Don't get me started on HDTV...

It's not being turned off in 2008 anymore cause nobody can be arsed to pony up the cash whilst it all works just fine as it is.

Can't wait to set up our 42" HD plasma next year!

Oh, and I couldn't care less about radio now. I have podcasts and the iTMS for my needs now. If it's SonyBMG then they can go and get stuffed until they come around and put their stuff on the iTMS store with everybody else.

.Andy
Jan 4, 2006, 06:59 AM
It's basically CD quality, ad-free radio broadcast from the heavens that you have to pay for. We had it in Canada at the ski resort and they tuned us into a station that played the same songs on a 24 hour loop. We could tell what time of day it was just by what song was on.... awful I tells ya, just awful.

The whole cost issue is why it hasn't taken off here yet - that and covering 20 million people over an area the size of the US just isn't economical for the broadcasters. Look at digital TV, the government has said that it will be switching off analogue TV in 2008 although they expect people to buy a TV capable of displaying the digital signal, a digital TV set top box and for a lot of people with very bad antenna wiring they have to have that re-done too. Don't get me started on HDTV...

It's not being turned off in 2008 anymore cause nobody can be arsed to pony up the cash whilst it all works just fine as it is.

Can't wait to set up our 42" HD plasma next year!

Oh, and I couldn't care less about radio now. I have podcasts and the iTMS for my needs now. If it's SonyBMG then they can go and get stuffed until they come around and put their stuff on the iTMS store with everybody else.
Yeah it doesn't sound like my biscuit even if it was available in Aus. I think I'd rather listen to conventional radio and use the money I save to buy a CD that I'll have forever.

And I'm with you on the digital TV thing Chundles! The only thing interesting me about buying an HDTV is being able to watch DVD's, making good use of Front Row, and hooking up a next-gen console. The idea of forking out extra cash to watch commercial TV at high resolution seems completely mental.

Abstract
Jan 4, 2006, 08:04 AM
Radio sucks in Canada, Australia, and everywhere else for that matter.

No radio station plays such great music that I'd rather get stuck paying monthly fees than go out and buy a CD for the same price.

I think BBC Radio6 is ok, though, but I've never really heard it for real. It was usually XFM where I worked back when I lived in London.

adk
Jan 4, 2006, 11:36 AM
While I don't like Satellite radio, it does have its places in the cars of truckers and traveling salesmen, as well as the hip-hop fan stuck in the oklahoma panhandle. I really don't think it's mainstream enough, and I definitely can't justify paying for radio.

ksz
Jan 4, 2006, 11:45 AM
Another man's Wow is another man's Wow too! Those are pretty cool as is the S50 from Sirius below. Now we have some intriguing choices for portable (wearable) satellite radio.

JW8725
Jan 4, 2006, 11:46 AM
Could this now mean the end of the ipod is near?

neocell
Jan 4, 2006, 11:46 AM
Zero interest in it whatsoever. I wonder if people are just like, "ooo, ahhh, satellites, from space, talking to me!?!?! Cool I gotta have it". 'Cause like everyone's said, it's the same old sh*te repackaged and charged for. I can see it being used in some places (dr./dentist offices, etc.) where they don't want commercials, but nowhere near enough to make it financially viable for the makers. And why the hell would an average jane/joe ever want it besides to use as a status symbol, and a bad one at that. :confused:

ksz
Jan 4, 2006, 11:57 AM
Just like everything else, some poeple will find a use for it and some won't. I am seriously considering it for my BMW, although I think they don't let you choose between Sirius and XM -- you have to go with Sirius. I don't mind paying a monthly fee for it, but I do mind having to pay an extra $7 a month to activate a second receiver. If I could purchase a subscription for my car and buy a portable receiver for no additional monthly service fees, I would jump at it.

mduser63
Jan 4, 2006, 12:40 PM
I've had XM for several months. I have to disagree that it's the same old stuff. I hear all kinds of music that would never in a million years be played on conventional radio. There are stations dedicated to just about every genre of music you can think of, plus talk, sports, news, etc. I really enjoy my satellite radio subscription. It's not really too expensive either. My radio was $50 (now $30), and the subscription is $13/month.

freeny
Jan 4, 2006, 01:22 PM
Sounds nice but $13 a month? Ill do it for $5.

2nyRiggz
Jan 4, 2006, 01:31 PM
Another man's Wow is another man's Wow too! Those are pretty cool as is the S50 from Sirius below. Now we have some intriguing choices for portable (wearable) satellite radio.

Now thats a good looker. i thought the picture the thread starter posted was a phone...oh well.

Bless

corywoolf
Jan 4, 2006, 01:35 PM
One man's Wow! is another man's Barf....how would an ipod look with a great whopping licorice arial?

Of interest how popular is satellite radio? Or is it another digital TV where it has to be rammed down people's throats for uptake?
There are going to be an estimated 5 million Satellite radio subscribers by 2007, under 5% of the Radio listeners.

corywoolf
Jan 4, 2006, 01:36 PM

Awesome!

lasuther
Jan 4, 2006, 02:05 PM
I got XM for 1 year free. After that I put it in all my cars and house. Its worth it and every car I have will have it. And the cost is very low. To have it in 2 cars and my house ($24) is almost have the cost I pay for internet. I spend more than that to see a movie with my wife.

Whenever I hear people talk about the cost it reminds me when my friends said they wouldn't pay for high speed internet, because Dialup was free at school. I pay for the sound quality, service, and variety. The same reason I use iTunes.

lasuther

PlaceofDis
Jan 4, 2006, 02:11 PM
Sounds nice but $13 a month? Ill do it for $5.

yeah i think if the cost was lower more people would be jumping on it. i can't see paying that much for it a month. its like the subscription based music stores. stop paying = nothing. i prefer to buy my music and put it on my ipod. might have a higher upfront cost, but better and cheaper in the long run. unless you like trendy music and are constantly chaning your mind and only like the singles arists release and don't listen to full albums ever (ie my sister)

alywa
Jan 4, 2006, 02:24 PM
I

cwedl
Jan 4, 2006, 02:27 PM
Digital Radio in England Looks sooo much better than this, does this work on the same principles?

alywa
Jan 4, 2006, 02:31 PM
I have one of the Alpine head units with iPod integration. It came satellite ready (you could choose either the Sirius or XM module and antenna).

I decided to get the XM. I was able to lock in a 2 year commitment prior to them raising their prices, so I'm only paying like 8/month right now.

We put it in the "family" car (Subaru Forester), and I absolutely love it. The audio quality, while not CD quality, is still far better than FM.

The biggest thing about it, however, is the content. Great news, sports, and most importantly music. I'm a big jazz fan (classic "real" jazz, not the easy listening garbage), and it's the only game in town.

In fact, in my area, terestial radio is basically worthless unless you want Clear Channel shoving the same classic rock, country, and easy listening down your throat daily.

So, yeah, satellite radio is a good thing; pretty much like cable or directv -vs- over the air networks. You get what you pay for, but if you're not one who drives a lot or isn't into music, than it probably wouldn't be your thing.

altair
Jan 4, 2006, 02:55 PM
I smell a troll, this guy has 3 posts, 2 of which start satelite radio threads and then he disapears.

baned imo

PlaceofDis
Jan 4, 2006, 03:21 PM
I smell a troll, this guy has 3 posts, 2 of which start satelite radio threads and then he disapears.

baned imo

doesn't mean hes a troll. just shows where his/her particular interests lie. its not as if the person is instigating any sort of flame war or baiting people.

spakle
Jan 4, 2006, 03:44 PM
baned imo
I only have three posts because I lost my email account and couldn't remember my password. Been a regular for almost five years now. No troll here.

Facts about Satellitle Radio:
1. Someone said 5 million subs by 2007. Fact: XM has over 6 mil/ Sirius 3mil. You might try 15 million subscribers by 2007.

2. The people that say barf about Sat Radio are the ones that have never tried it. Once you use it you'll probably never use regualr radio again.

3. Price. Yes its 13 clams a month. However, you get to choose between 160 channels of music/sports/news/talk/etc. Plus, when you drive from one place to another the channels never go away. Although you may or may not be able to do it, I had my portable player in use on the last flight I took.

Basically you get to listen to almost anything you want, at anytime, any place with out having to download/rip. Everything is live.

Now, whats so great about these units? Well, you get everything mentioned above, plus you can put your mp3's on it. Right now it looks like 512/1gb options. I'm sure that will expand in a big way over this year. Did I also mention that you can record the live streams of the stations to play back later if you'd like? Maybe you wanted to listen to that baseball/football/hockey game but were doing something else. Just set to record that channel and listen to it later. Think Tivo. As for the S50 from sirius. It doesn't let you listen while on the go. These do. Plus the S50 is pretty thick.

Oh, did I also mention you can pause/rr/ff live radio just like a tivo does?

You see, Satellite radio is a huge advancement in the way you listen to radio. For the people that are gripping about the price. Next time you listen to radio, count how many commericals you hear. Satellite doesn't have any on the music stations. Want to know instant traffic/weather for your city? Bam! Want to tune in to hear what the good lord has to say? Bam...instant jesus. Want to know the sports scores or stock quotes live? Just hit the button. You speak spanish/french? They have channels for you too. Espn, CNN, Foxnews, on and on and on.

Trust me fellas...once you use it, you'll never go back. The only reason I listen to my ipod is for audio books and storage. Go to www.xmradio.com or www.sirius.com and listen to the three day trial web streams they have. For the boys and girls across the pond, africa, asia, etc...go to www.worldspace.com.

Apple should be a part of this. On these units you can hit a button to mark the song. When you get home, hook unit to computer and purchase from Napster. My point is Apple should be the one playing the game with XM or Sirius.

Are you following me now?

Stampyhead
Jan 4, 2006, 04:40 PM
I have no interest in seeing radio reception in the iPod, be it sattelite or otherwise. I have long been dissatisfied with the radio as a medium, and now that I own an iPod the radios in my car and home are permanently silent. I'm happy for those who like sattelite radio and who use it, but I have no need for it myself.

yg17
Jan 4, 2006, 05:43 PM
Or am I missing something really exciting about it that makes it worth it :confused:?

Missing a lot of things....

Uncensored. Commercial-free. Available coast-to-cost.

I have Sirius and it is well worth it. If Apple would team up with Sirius for a portable player, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

dan-o-mac
Jan 4, 2006, 06:10 PM
My father has this in his in his truck and I was not impressed. Yes they have a **** load of stations, but your basically stuck listening to music programmed and picked for you. No thanks, I'd rather listen to my own selection of music.

Coca-Cola
Jan 4, 2006, 06:25 PM
Imagine if you will...

Steve "Oh and one more thing.... Today, Apple is launching it's very own satellite. You will be able to watch the launch in HD in 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 lift off.

Oh and one more thing, did I mention it has a "lazer". And now we are going to hear from a Microsoft spokesperson about free versions of Office for every mac user untill the year 3000.

spakle
Jan 4, 2006, 06:47 PM
My father has this in his in his truck and I was not impressed. Yes they have a **** load of stations, but your basically stuck listening to music programmed and picked for you. No thanks, I'd rather listen to my own selection of music.
So how do you know about new music/artists if you only listen to what you have on your ipod?

I have over 3000 songs on my ipod. Listened to it straight for two years. Even with that many songs, things start to get stale. You have to have another means of finding new stuff.

There is no way you can't find a station or two that plays your type of style. I'm guessing that you just haven't found it while playing on your dads radio.

Also, lets just say you don't want to listen to the stations that much. The point of this thread is how the units are also MP3 players. You can still listen to all your stuff the way you like but have the option to explore a ton of other stuff.

.Andy
Jan 4, 2006, 06:49 PM

I have Sirius and it is well worth it. If Apple would team up with Sirius for a portable player, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
After reading these posts I'm still not convinced. You're three 'features' there are available on free-to-air ABC stations in Australia already......

As for no commercials on satellite I'm going to guess that goes the way of the dodo or is made up by product placement promotions once viewer numbers increase. CD quality's not really an issue for me either. The only time I listen to the radio these days is for talk/commentary on AM. So quality means squat as a feature. When/if it's available in Aus I might give it a go seeing as people seem to like it. But I'll stand by there being nothing groundbreaking to interest me or to make me want to rush out to get it.

spakle
Jan 4, 2006, 07:01 PM
After reading these posts I'm still not convinced....
The CD quality thing isn't true. They use AAC for compression and compress quit a bit. I'd say more FM quality than CD. Not sure of the exact bit rate they are using. They do this because the FCC in the USA only gave XM and Sirius 12.5mhz worth of bandwidth. Meaning, they can only play so many stations. The option is to have 60 CD quality channels or 160 as-good-as-fm quality channels. Not sure what World Spaces restrictions are though (doesn't look like they offer it in Australia anyway).

Commercials are not played on the music channels. Only talk/sports/entertainment. They do have station promos everyonce and awhile between songs but definitely is not a commerical. However, if SAT radio is bigger than regular radio some day, I do see that changing. It will be some time before that ever happens.

As for censorship: in the USA you have to keep the radio clean. That is a big difference between USA and rest of the world.

Anywho, it truely will blow you away if you ever get the chance to use it.

adk
Jan 4, 2006, 07:01 PM
When/if it's available in Aus I might give it a go seeing as people seem to like it.

It's sort of popular here because we don't have awesome free radio like yours here in the US. Man that would be nice.

.Andy
Jan 4, 2006, 07:03 PM
So how do you know about new music/artists if you only listen to what you have on your ipod?

I have over 3000 songs on my ipod. Listened to it straight for two years. Even with that many songs, things start to get stale. You have to have another means of finding new stuff.
Good point spakle. I'll agree some of the music I've bought in the last five years has come from the radio. I probably wouldn't have quite a bit if it weren't for it....

Though most of the music I've purchased lately comes from randomly reading reviews online (including recommendations from people here), hearing a CD in a coffee shop, soundtracks to commercials (Sony Bravia of note) and movies, recommendations from the iTMS, and CD's lent by friends. Radio has kind of become one of the last places I look for new music these days. Not really by choice, just because my habits have changed having my pod and due to my listening tastes.

That S50 looks better. Although I think it's because it's basically a nano with the screen moved to the middle.....

.Andy
Jan 4, 2006, 07:05 PM
It's sort of popular here because we don't have awesome free radio like yours here in the US. Man that would be nice.
Don't you guys have any free to air stations or good community radio stations that you can listen to? In the absence of these I can definitely understand the attraction of an initiative like satellite then.

spakle
Jan 4, 2006, 07:07 PM
Don't you guys have any free to air stations or good community radio stations that you can listen to?Nope. All radio is censored in the US.

KKKL
Jan 4, 2006, 07:09 PM
World Of Warcraft

Chundles
Jan 4, 2006, 07:11 PM

Yeah, that's pretty standard here. The commercial channels are a bit over-commercialised but the government run ABC channels are available country-wide, commercial-free and uncensored.

It's just not that exciting really.

Chundles
Jan 4, 2006, 07:13 PM
World Of Warcraft

¿qué?

What about World of Warcraft?

.Andy
Jan 4, 2006, 07:14 PM
Yeah, that's pretty standard here. The commercial channels are a bit over-commercialised but the government run ABC channels are available country-wide, commercial-free and uncensored.

It's just not that exciting really.
Yeah after hearing all these posts I love my ABC even more now!

Listening to the fantastic uninterrupted commentary of the cricket now on 702 ABC local Sydney.

neocell
Jan 4, 2006, 07:20 PM
I guess I must concede that if you were a radio junkie and lived in the states, and had a bit of spare change satellite radio probably is attractive. I can pick up a few US broadcasts here and I must say American commercials are incredibly annoying (not like Canadian ones are much better, but you don't have to listen to the 20sec of speed legal talk after each one). But as I'm not a radio junkie and I don't live in the states I believe I'll be passing for now...

Chundles
Jan 4, 2006, 07:25 PM
Yeah after hearing all these posts I love my ABC even more now!

Listening to the fantastic uninterrupted commentary of the cricket now on 702 ABC local Sydney.

Wouldn't say "uninterrupted" BLOODY RAIN!!!

We could be in a bit of strife if the rain goes away quickly, Gibbs is smashing them all over the park - he is yet to score a single, all his runs have been in 2 or more, mostly boundaries. Time for Warnie and McGill I think.

spakle
Jan 4, 2006, 07:25 PM
I don't live in the states I believe I'll be passing for now...XM and Sirius are in Canada as well. XM has three French channels if you speak the language.

neocell
Jan 4, 2006, 08:00 PM
XM and Sirius are in Canada as well. XM has three French channels if you speak the language.
I've seen a bunch of ads for Sirius recently but I think they're just signing people up right now, no actual service as of yet, at least that's what the ad looked like. No idea of XM, but I don't really care too much about it either

**EDIT**
checked the site I saw one ad, it appears that it's the hardware release that's yet to come

.Andy
Jan 4, 2006, 08:08 PM
Wouldn't say "uninterrupted" BLOODY RAIN!!!

We could be in a bit of strife if the rain goes away quickly, Gibbs is smashing them all over the park - he is yet to score a single, all his runs have been in 2 or more, mostly boundaries. Time for Warnie and McGill I think.
Agreed. I was hoping Gibbs would go quickly in the light rain - was not to be though. Liked the little interview with Parky they just had. Very entertaining :).

Perhaps these satellite radio guys should give the australian ABC stations a go streamed on the web as a free alternative ;).

betbest1
Jan 4, 2006, 08:23 PM
¿qué?

What about World of Warcraft?
WoW is a common abbreviation for World of Warcraft.

yg17
Jan 4, 2006, 08:28 PM
I've seen a bunch of ads for Sirius recently but I think they're just signing people up right now, no actual service as of yet, at least that's what the ad looked like. No idea of XM, but I don't really care too much about it either

**EDIT**
checked the site I saw one ad, it appears that it's the hardware release that's yet to come

Sirius (and XM I think) has been active and selling receivers in Canada for about a month now. After the holiday season, receivers are tough to find though.

People in Canada have had Sirius and XM for ages now despite the lack of official service up there. All you needed to do before is buy a radio (cross the border if you're close, order online, ect) and activate with a US address. Any address...it could be real or made up.

Chundles
Jan 4, 2006, 08:45 PM
WoW is a common abbreviation for World of Warcraft.

Yeah, I know. But what does that have to do with this thread? The title is "Wow" not "WoW," it's in the iPod and iTunes section and makes no mention of any sort of computer game.

On the other hand, the covers are coming off at the SCG, don't need a fancy satellite to tell me that, I've got analogue free-to-air TV, free-to-air radio and free (cause I'm currently visiting my folks) internet streaming.

Hope the SAfricans go cheaply after lunch.

dan-o-mac
Jan 5, 2006, 11:39 AM

There is no way you can't find a station or two that plays your type of style. I'm guessing that you just haven't found it while playing on your dads radio.

Also, lets just say you don't want to listen to the stations that much. The point of this thread is how the units are also MP3 players. You can still listen to all your stuff the way you like but have the option to explore a ton of other stuff.

I find alot of new artist by reading magazines and internet radio streams which are free and could be ripped into my ipod. I'm not saying it's not a good product, it's just not for me.