PDA

View Full Version : Dead 5G iPod

seenew
Jan 4, 2006, 02:48 PM
Yeah. It worked this morning when I was listening to it with my iTrip on the drive to school, but this afternoon, it's dead.

I tried rebooting with the select and menu button, I tried hooking it up to the wall charger, I tried hooking it up to the computer. All the same, just a black, dead screen. Not even any signal recognizing it's hooked to anything.

Any ideas? Has anyone heard of this with the 5Gs? Do I need to send it back?

clayj
Jan 4, 2006, 02:54 PM
This may seem a stupid question, but did you make sure that the Hold switch on the iPod is not engaged? If it is, your iPod will sure act very unresponsive to your attempts to use it or reboot it.

EGT
Jan 4, 2006, 03:33 PM
Leave it for 24 hours. If it doesn't respond, phone Apple.

breathein
Jan 4, 2006, 03:35 PM
This may seem a stupid question, but did you make sure that the Hold switch on the iPod is not engaged? If it is, your iPod will sure act very unresponsive to your attempts to use it or reboot it.

well if the person plugs it into the wall or anything electrically, the ipod will show motion regardless if the hold switch.

I'd go to the nearest apple store asap or call asap, waiting 24 hours wont do anything. And if you take it into the store they will replace it on the spot. hopefully. lately i have been hearing HORRIBLE reports on apples warranty things

EGT
Jan 4, 2006, 04:00 PM
well if the person plugs it into the wall or anything electrically, the ipod will show motion regardless if the hold switch.

I'd go to the nearest apple store asap or call asap, waiting 24 hours wont do anything. And if you take it into the store they will replace it on the spot. hopefully. lately i have been hearing HORRIBLE reports on apples warranty things

Just doing what it says on the support pages, which also worked for me. :)

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60958

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60942

They will replace it if it has crapped out on you.

Bern
Jan 4, 2006, 04:36 PM
I'm not suggesting this person has done this, but the day after I got my iPod with video I plugged it into to a/c to charge it up and a few hours later noticed that nothing was happening. There was no life on the screen at all. I tried all the Apple suggestions and was getting into a bit of a state about it. Then I realised I hadn't turned the power point on :o

seenew
Jan 4, 2006, 09:49 PM
Ah crap.
I just noticed there is a HUGE (relatively) dent in the back casing.
Damn.

Guess I could still tell them it crapped out on me and then tell them it must have been dented in shipping? :(:confused:

haiggy
Jan 4, 2006, 11:20 PM
Ah crap.
I just noticed there is a HUGE (relatively) dent in the back casing.
Damn.

Guess I could still tell them it crapped out on me and then tell them it must have been dented in shipping? :(:confused:

Hmm.. morals come into play there... but I would do the same thing.
If you are 100% sure it doesn't work, then why not just sign up for online help? It is on the apple.com support page under iPods. You can sign up and they will sent you a box... you send them the iPod and they fix it or give you a new one.

The hold switch being on has no effect on your iPod from working. This is because a hold switch doesn't do anything to stop your iPod from working when plugged into a wall or computer. You can't press any buttons but the iPod will still spin up and power up.

seenew
Jan 5, 2006, 10:11 PM
Yeah, I plan on calling Apple tomorrow and getting it shipped in.

cgratti
Jan 5, 2006, 10:29 PM
Telling them it was dented in shipping wont work, they send you a box that is HEAVILY padded, there is no way it gets dented between 3" of foam without the box not having been mutilated.

Just tell them it died, period, if they as about the dent tell them it happened months ago.

wasimyaqoob
Jan 6, 2006, 01:25 PM
Nope, never heard of this problem.

seenew
Jan 7, 2006, 12:26 PM
Telling them it was dented in shipping wont work, they send you a box that is HEAVILY padded, there is no way it gets dented between 3" of foam without the box not having been mutilated.

Just tell them it died, period, if they as about the dent tell them it happened months ago.

Sounds like a good idea.
My old ipod had dents all over it; I dropped it on wood, asphault, down 3 stairs, and it still played flawlessly.

I guess it'll work.