Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Seems pretty much the same thing that's already been covered a couple of weeks ago: https://www.macrumors.com/2014/02/06/disable-find-my-iphone/

(Also, based on various comments, it seems to bypass Find My iPhone, but Activation Lock, which is server-side, seems to still remain if you were to restore the phone or something like that. Furthermore, it seems like the issue isn't present in iOS 7.1 betas so far.)

nox5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2013
This means if someone finds your iPhone in the street etc. Find my iPhone feature could be easily turned off without the owners's password.

Last edited:

xcrunner

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2007
There's a million reasons to use a pass code. It stops so many flaws and issues. Just do it.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
this version is different with no data connection and this time you can restore the iPhone to factory settings.

It still doesn't bypass activation lock. I've tried it on a locked phone some guy sold me. After restoring to factory settings it will still ask for the iCloud password.

Last edited by a moderator:

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
This means if someone finds your iPhone in the street etc. Find my iPhone feature could be easily turned off without the owners's password and consequently iPhone could be erased and restored to factory settings.

And how would they bypass the screen lock? This is one of the reasons to add a lock code.

I feel this is a non-issue until people discover how to bypass the screen lock.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
hmm except that it is not?

just because you do does not mean everyone uses a password lock.

in fact, you'd be surprised how many don't.

Fair point. Well, perhaps this article will help educate those who don't use a lock code.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
hmm except that it is not?

just because you do does not mean everyone uses a password lock.

in fact, you'd be surprised how many don't.
By the same logic not everyone by far would have Find My iPhone and thus Activation Locked enabled (even if they might have a passcode too).

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
Fair point. Well, perhaps this article will help educate those who don't use a lock code.

I never use a screen lock. All sensitive data resides in the data vault. If my phone is stolen, I go buy another and move on. Only device I do use a screen lock is on my iPad at home. I do so because I allow it to memorize passwords.

Guess I have been lucky as I have never lost a phone or had one stolen, then is never leave it laying around to present opportunity. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.