PDA

View Full Version : miniG5ized

VespR
Jan 5, 2006, 04:49 AM
You've got to see what this guy is doing to his PowerMac G5 :eek:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=943319&page=1&pp=40

It really is impressive to say the least...

gekko513
Jan 5, 2006, 05:06 AM
Wow, that's an impressive amount of time and care used to make something that is so unnecessary and, in my opinion, mostly tacky.

VespR
Jan 5, 2006, 05:10 AM
And there's no G5 in it... :confused:

dcv
Jan 5, 2006, 05:11 AM
What a horrendously ugly case. And not particularly minimised is it? :rolleyes:

MacEffects
Jan 5, 2006, 05:16 AM
What a horrendously ugly case. And not particularly minimised is it? :rolleyes:
Yes, well thats one thing I can stand, people who think they need LEDs everywhere and a little portal to see the the inside... And that is quite big comparted to the Mac Mini, but then again no other computer compie that I know of has mastered the small size of the Mac Mini with the same type of features... This would be far nicer if it was just the G5 case just cut, and not added goofy things every where... I'd take a Dell Case over this :eek:

rdowns
Jan 5, 2006, 05:16 AM
I just threw up in my mouth, a lot. ™

20rogersc
Jan 5, 2006, 05:28 AM
What's the point? I would be more than happy if I owned a PMG5, and ruining it would be out of the question. I'm just jealous that he is able to waste a perfectly good mac. Tuh.

::20ROGERSC::

Belly-laughs
Jan 5, 2006, 06:10 AM
Seems like lesser the taste more the time at hand…

howesey
Jan 5, 2006, 07:44 AM
And that is quite big comparted to the Mac Mini, but then again no other computer compie that I know of has mastered the small size of the Mac Mini with the same type of features...
Erm, barebones PC's. Some are smaller than the Mac Mini, and far more powerful.

gekko513
Jan 5, 2006, 08:42 AM
Show me a barebones PC that is smaller than the Mac mini.

technocoy
Jan 5, 2006, 08:47 AM
show me one smaller and FAR more powerful. seriously i want to see it. and one thats not a friggin hack job slaughter.

technocoy
Jan 5, 2006, 08:48 AM
jinx!

Macmaniac
Jan 5, 2006, 09:07 AM
It looks pretty bad, it would have looked a lot cooler if he had kept the outside normal, and just shrank the whole thing! The saddest part is how the PC modding fan boys are all excited, it looks like crap. The guy who made the mini iMac G5 did a much better job.

My only question is where did he get that case, they are expensive to buy!

revenuee
Jan 5, 2006, 09:11 AM
Is this like the kid that tore out all the G5 internals and replaced it with PC stuff because he "hated macs"?

or did i miss something and that was just a G5 case?

happy.buddha
Jan 5, 2006, 09:31 AM
Wow, that's an impressive amount of time and care used to make something that is so unnecessary and, in my opinion, mostly tacky.

You said exactly what I was thinking, normally I think a little mod is ok, kind of makes a machine stand out a bit, but this guy just butchered to butcher. No sir, I don't like it.

technocoy
Jan 5, 2006, 09:31 AM
*GAG* *looks around* *GAG*

Daedalus256
Jan 5, 2006, 09:32 AM
Well Shiira decided not to load any images on the site but I knew the moment I saw "FX-57" That every single reaction here was going to be negative.

topgunn
Jan 5, 2006, 09:44 AM
Is this like the kid that tore out all the G5 internals and replaced it with PC stuff because he "hated macs"?

or did i miss something and that was just a G5 case?
He later came back and said that he didn't rip out the internals. (He originally said his parents got him a G5 for Christmas but he wasn't a Mac Guy.) He just happened to come across a G5 case and thought it would make a good PC case.

macEfan
Jan 5, 2006, 11:27 AM
wow that was a really tacky job :( poor g5... I hope he puts it back together the correct way again.

adk
Jan 5, 2006, 01:02 PM
Horrendous. He took the sleek G5 case and added hoses, bolt, and knobs as far a the eye can see. Not to mention it's not actually that much smaller.

livingfortoday
Jan 5, 2006, 01:42 PM
I actually really liked where it was going with the watercooling, and the look of it all... until he added that horrible crap all over the front. It looked good when it was a mini G5.

Verto
Jan 5, 2006, 01:46 PM
I thought this was going to involve a G5 and a Mini.

stonyc
Jan 5, 2006, 01:48 PM
I actually really liked where it was going with the watercooling, and the look of it all... until he added that horrible crap all over the front. It looked good when it was a mini G5.I was going to say about the same thing... as is, he should have just fabricated all of his own parts (which he seems to have the knowledge to do) and created his very own custom case, from scratch.

MacEffects
Jan 5, 2006, 06:19 PM

Well, I work with people who one PC Stores and I have never seen such a thing, however if there is please sent me a link. I have seen a Dell Terminal Computer, that has little in it, and it was still quite a bit bigger then the Mac Mini :eek:

Also regarding Power, please don't be confused by Intel's Processor speeds... They are proven to be far slower in 3rd party benchmark tests. AMD is better then Intel, but if you ask me I'd take a G5 PowerPC over anything else :rolleyes:

adk
Jan 6, 2006, 02:15 AM

Please, find me a powerful PC that is 6.5"x6.5"x2". I double dog dare you.

Daedalus256
Jan 6, 2006, 07:53 AM

Here's a french one:
http://www.clubic.com/actualite-18893-idf-2005-intel-presente-le-mac-mini.html

Also, lets not forget about Biostar's LCD PCs!
http://www.biostar.com.tw/products/lcdpc/edeq4.php3

And last but not least, here's AOpen's Mini PC. I know everyone here will disregard it since it looks so similar to a mac mini but it's actually a damn nice PC with a Pentium M and everything.

http://minipc.aopen.com/english/

:)

Lau
Jan 6, 2006, 07:56 AM
And last but not least, here's AOpen's Mini PC. I know everyone here will disregard it since it looks so similar to a mac mini but it's actually a damn nice PC with a Pentium M and everything.

That background reminds me of something....:rolleyes: :D

adk
Jan 6, 2006, 03:53 PM
Here's a french one:
http://www.clubic.com/actualite-18893-idf-2005-intel-presente-le-mac-mini.html

Also, lets not forget about Biostar's LCD PCs!
http://www.biostar.com.tw/products/lcdpc/edeq4.php3

Sorry, none of those satisfy me. The french one has no specifications, so who knows how powerful it is. The biostar is 6.9"(H) x 15.5"(W) x 8.3"(D) - a little bit way bigger than the mini. The last one, the mini PC alllmost satisfies me, it seems like a nice machine. The only problem is that it's same size as the mini (ok, one one hundredth of an inch smaller, no hair splitting please). The person I quoted said there are barebones systems smaller than the mac mini, so my double dog dare stands.

Mord
Jan 6, 2006, 04:22 PM
the mini has a better graphics card, even a 9200 owns media accelerator crap.

dops7107
Jan 6, 2006, 05:15 PM
Guys and gals, come on.

I didn't read the replies here until after I had viewed the entire modding thread. Let's forgive the sacrilege, and comment constructively on what the guy has done. Come on - it's a hobby!! I have to be impressed by the time and effort he is putting in. Whilst photos (mostly blurred) may hide imperfections, I think he's done a very good job, technically speaking at least.Granted, not all the mods may be to everyone's taste, but he has some decent design flair and a fair bit of workmanship skills. [Glad he got rid f that cable-suspended fan, however - that was nasty] I think the cables and frosted perspex at the front look smart.

Even if it runs Windows, and maybe under-powered, give him some credit. :)

vniow
Jan 6, 2006, 05:18 PM

That starts for under $499.

Aopen's starts at a few hundred higher than that I believe...

ppnkg
Jan 6, 2006, 05:34 PM
Somehow I miss the point of this whole operation. Maybe he likes to do things like that. Imagine what his car would look like.

FoxyKaye
Jan 6, 2006, 05:52 PM
Oh... that... poor... G5 case.

And at the end there was a photo of the G4 Cube case next to it and somewhere inside I screamed, "Nooooooooo... don't take the little one too!"

It was like watching Jaws, or Silence of the Lambs, or Star Wars Episode I or something. It just kept hurting more.
Even if it runs Windows, and maybe under-powered, give him some credit. :)
You're right, the attention to detail was stunning. It's just the afterimages of everything else keep getting in the way.

gekko513
Jan 7, 2006, 06:41 AM
That starts for under $499.

Aopen's starts at a few hundred higher than that I believe...
Yes, the Aopen mini PC is more expensive, less powerful in comparable price ranges (Celeron M 1.4GHz and weak integrated graphics) and has less features (Bluetooth not an option).