Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarcusCarpenter

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
London
Hi there, i own a MacBook Pro 2012 15inch i7 quad core 16gb ram Non retina version. i had an SSD installed but it failed so i'm back to the original 5400RPM drive.

I have tested boot times on Lion, Mountain Lion and Mavericks (all latest versions)

Whats other peoples experience running non SSD's ? i personally feel 10.9 was make purely for SSD's as the boot time is much more of mountain lion and nearly double of Lions.

Thanks

Title should read 5400RPM sorry

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Obviously, its going to be slower since read/write operations will be that much slower then an SSD. The over all system will feel more sluggish because of this as the OS needs to pull pieces of itself from the drive.

MarcusCarpenter

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
London
Obviously, its going to be slower since read/write operations will be that much slower then an SSD. The over all system will feel more sluggish because of this as the OS needs to pull pieces of itself from the drive.

I know this obviously, but why is Mavericks slower on a standard HDD than Mountain Lion and Lion ?

MarcusCarpenter

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
London
I'd assume because there's more components on the drive then memory.

Hmm everything seems snappy and fast once the OS has loaded, Damn i hate standard Disks, i wonder what other peoples experience is, it could be that i may have a failing Drive.

Just a quick question, is 600MB/s RW the fastest i could go on a 3gb/s sata interface ?

Cheers

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
I know this obviously, but why is Mavericks slower on a standard HDD than Mountain Lion and Lion ?

It's probably optimised for SSD's.

Apple tends to ensure their latest software works best on the very latest technology. It's the same for iOS. iOS works best on the A7 CPU and is noticeably slower and less efficient on older iOS devices.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Hmm everything seems snappy and fast once the OS has loaded, Damn i hate standard Disks, i wonder what other peoples experience is, it could be that i may have a failing Drive.

Just a quick question, is 600MB/s RW the fastest i could go on a 3gb/s sata interface ?

Cheers

I don't think the drive is bad....you've just come from an SSD to a conventional platter based physical mechanical drive...the drop in speed is perfectly normal and to be expected..the closest thing I have to a standard HDD is the hybrid fusion unit 3 TB in my iMac, but it puts the most frequently used files on the blade so boot and app opening times are similar to an SSD. My rMBP has a 500GB SSD in it. I guess if I were in your position I'd consider a new SSD you are always going to notice the difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.