PDA

View Full Version : powermac G4 to 1U/2U/4U rack conversion?

Choppaface
Jan 7, 2006, 08:25 AM
I have an old dual 500 gigabit ethernet G4 that I want to send to a colocator and I could save a bundle if this thing could be turned into a 1U/2U unit. Does anybody know if anybody has ever posted anything on moving the insides of a G4 box to a 1U/2U case?

Thanks macrumors :)

iMeowbot
Jan 7, 2006, 08:50 AM
Marathon used to sell a 4U conversion chassis, also brackets to mount the existing chassis in a rack on its side, but they were absorbed into Griffin a few months ago and the products have disappeared.

Choppaface
Jan 7, 2006, 03:40 PM
Marathon used to sell a 4U conversion chassis, also brackets to mount the existing chassis in a rack on its side, but they were absorbed into Griffin a few months ago and the products have disappeared.

ack :( thanks for the info. I found an xlr8yourmac on a 4U server based on the G4 that used to be offered:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/GVS_9000_4U_Dual_1GHZ/gvs_9000_dual_1ghz_review.html#storytop

but the company that offers them only sells new machines :(

iMeowbot
Jan 7, 2006, 03:47 PM
I don't know how pricey of a colo situation you're looking at, but another option might be to pick up a used Xserve and perhaps sell off the tower. There are also places that will colo Mac minis if you don't need much computer out there.

adk
Jan 7, 2006, 04:09 PM
Sorry to hijack, but what is the appeals of sending your computer to a colocator?

iMeowbot
Jan 7, 2006, 04:15 PM
Sorry to hijack, but what is the appeals of sending your computer to a colocator?
It's often cheaper than having the bandwidth brought to where you are, and someone else gets to worry about power and environment.

Choppaface
Jan 7, 2006, 07:16 PM
so far the tower colos I've found are >$100 month and I need <$100/mon so squishing the system down to like 2U would be awesome. New hardware would be exciting but can't really afford it and I have so much stuff on my current box I don't want to deal with moving it all, I'm already playing with a shared hosting package and copying things over is proving a pain. I'm sold as soon as the intel minis ship though :) :)

It's often cheaper than having the bandwidth brought to where you are, and someone else gets to worry about power and environment.

yep, in my case DSL/cable isn't good enough in my area for what I'm doing and most of the hosting solutions aren't a great fit so finding a place for my G4 at one of the local datacenters is right now my best option.

marco114
Sep 18, 2007, 03:09 PM
Reviving an old thread...

I am looking at doing a Quicksilver mac to 2u conversion. All the components will fit in a 2U case, it's just a matter of getting it all together. I am going to buy an old 2u Dell case or something like that and gut it and put my mac components in it. I am in a data center and only have 3u left in my rack so space is definitely a concern for me!