PDA

View Full Version : Web Host Suggestions...

iGary
Jan 7, 2006, 08:07 PM
I'm tired of Earthlink.

Entertain me.

Ideally I would like to transfer 3 domains.

Basic sites - not a ton of bandwidth or hosting space needed.

2GB/40GB would work well.

Good service, easy to use control panel etc.

Thanks.

monke
Jan 7, 2006, 08:23 PM
From searching around this forum these are some hosting sites I found:

http://www.o-wh.com/
http://www.dreamhost.com/
http://www.asmallorange.com/

iGary
Jan 7, 2006, 08:31 PM
Hrmm - did a search with no success.

Many thanks for looking for those and posting them. Ay experience with them?

monke
Jan 7, 2006, 08:35 PM
No experience myself, I am in the same position as you right now: trying to find myself a host.

iostream.h
Jan 7, 2006, 08:48 PM
http://hasweb.com

They have wonderful hosting.

Flowbee
Jan 7, 2006, 08:54 PM
I've used Neureal.com (http://www.neureal.com) for 4 years and am very happy with the service. You can host multiple domain names and sites on one account.

ChrisWB
Jan 7, 2006, 08:57 PM
Gary,

I have used Aplus.net (http://aplus.net) and Dreamhost (http://dreamhost.com). I received reliable service with them both, but stuck with Dreamhost due to its pricing and the easy-to-use control panel. I recommend either one of them.

Another host that's frequently cited on here is A Small Orange (http://www.asmallorange.com/).

Note, if you go with Dreamhost, current customers (including myself) can refer you via a coupon and give you a significant discount on whatever plan you sign up with. The way this works is you basically share the refferal reward with the current customer.

Another option - I'm a Dreamhost reseller, which means I can resell a portion of my account to you. We'd negotiate the pricing in private if you were interested.

asif786
Jan 7, 2006, 09:00 PM
Gary,

My personal recommendations:

A Small Orange (http://www.asmallorange.com) & (mt) Media Temple (http://www.mediatemple.net)

:)

iGary
Jan 7, 2006, 09:06 PM
Thanks, guys.

Looking forward to ditching Earthlink. :D

ham_man
Jan 7, 2006, 09:40 PM
a small orange and (mt) have consistently provided me with the most reliable connections (aso as a user and client, (mt) as a user), while Dreamhost has quite possibly the crappiest connections and worst reliability I know of, which explains why it is cheap. You can't have you cake and eat it, too...

monke
Jan 7, 2006, 09:43 PM
Has anyone here used http://www.o-wh.com/ before?

If not what host would you choose out of the ones posted in this thread so far?

iGary
Jan 7, 2006, 09:49 PM
Can you host multiple domains on A Small Orange?

Can't seem to find that.

radiantm3
Jan 7, 2006, 10:06 PM
Dreamhost just upped their disk space and bandwidth to a ridiculous amount. I've been with them for a few months and haven't been happier. None of the mentioned sites even come close in terms of bang for the buck.

clayj
Jan 7, 2006, 10:06 PM
Hostway is very good. I use them for my own personal site and for two artists' sites that I've created. Awesome uptime, great customer service, a huge variety of service plans, and a really good control panel for everything.

monke
Jan 7, 2006, 10:07 PM
Is there a way to get a Special Offer Code for Media Temple?

ChrisWB
Jan 7, 2006, 10:25 PM

Can't seem to find that.
iGary, I checked their forums and this thread (http://forums.asmallorange.com/index.php?showtopic=4321&hl=domains) answers your question. Short answer: yes, with some limitations.

Edit: With the $5 reseller option added, you can apparently have domains appear as separate accounts, otherwise they're treated as subdomains.

virus1
Jan 8, 2006, 03:05 AM
i use hostfor2bucks ... not too great when it comes to the details, but it is dirt cheap..

Lacero
Jan 8, 2006, 03:12 AM
I have 2 sites hosted on iPowerWeb (http://www.ipowerweb.com/). They automatically upgraded my $8/month account to unlimited disk space and 40GB transfer a month. It's great for me because I have about 800 MB of h.264 videos on it, and I plan to be uploading at least another 2 GB in the next few hours. :D

Here's to the Crazy Ones http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35452 (http://www.uriah.com/apple-qt/movies/think-different.mov)

Lau
Jan 8, 2006, 05:29 AM

Can't seem to find that.

I do. :) I can talk you through the process if need be, as it took a while to get my head round it.

AmbitiousLemon
Jan 8, 2006, 05:31 AM
i'm a non-profit web host, so i have a lot of experience referring people to paid services and know most of the hosts listed here well. Some very good reliable hosts have been mentioned, but dreamhost is not among them. Dreamhost is a VERY poor hosting choice, and people do not stay with them long. While their prices might seem pretty alluring, keep in mind the old adage that "if it looks too good to be true, it probably is."

Just so this post isn't entirely negative I should mention that asmallorange has one of the best reputations in the market, and it is well deserved.

munkle
Jan 8, 2006, 06:03 AM
I was with ASmallOrange and can't recommend them highly enough. But I moved to DreamHost as the offers were just too good to turn down.

I have to say I've experienced no problems with them and wouldn't hesitate in recommending them. True the support can take awhile to get back to you but no longer than 24 hours the few times I've had to contact them.

And the bandwidth + disk space is unbelievable. I was dubious as well (and still am to a certain extent) but they seem to have delivered so far. My site has been getting hit hard recently, over 10GB of bandwidth used a day, and it's still holding up strong.

Feel free to contact me if you want a discount voucher.

iGary
Jan 8, 2006, 07:40 AM
I do. :) I can talk you through the process if need be, as it took a while to get my head round it.

Good - I think I may go with them - at least for my smaller sites (3).

I have a site which is going to require immense bandwidth and storage, so I may have to get a dedicted server for that.

Thanks for the offer, Lau - I will be getting in contact. :D

iGary
Jan 8, 2006, 08:07 AM
OK - it is down to DreamHost and A Small Orange now - I can't seem to find out if DreamHost's package supports setting up an FTP site...Help?

whfsdude
Jan 8, 2006, 08:23 AM
OK - it is down to DreamHost and A Small Orange now - I can't seem to find out if DreamHost's package supports setting up an FTP site...Help?

Define ftp site? Do you mean uploading via php or anonymous ftp? DreamHost supports both. Anonymous ftp will require a dedicated IP. FTP via PHP has a limit of 7mb with their compiled version (but you can run your own copy of php with whatever limit you set).

iGary
Jan 8, 2006, 08:25 AM
Define ftp site? Do you mean uploading via php or anonymous ftp? DreamHost supports both. Anonymous ftp will require a dedicated IP. FTP via PHP has a limit of 7mb with their compiled version (but you can run your own copy of php with whatever limit you set).

Are you still listening to HFS ala Espanol? :p :D

Thanks - I don't know enough about web crap, but s long as I can setup some way for publishers to yank files, it will save me a ton in FedEx.

asif786
Jan 8, 2006, 08:32 AM

Thanks - I don't know enough about web crap, but s long as I can setup some way for publishers to yank files, it will save me a ton in FedEx.

I don't know about Dreamhost, but in ASO you can set up FTP users. So you can set up a subdomain (client.you.com) and give them private FTP details where they can login and download their files [or access them in a browser at the subdomain]

Okay, that sounded a lot more confusing than it had to be but I hope you get the idea?

whfsdude
Jan 8, 2006, 08:35 AM

105.7 Balt - That's the new HFS. (Too bad I'm in DC :P)

I would just create a login based ftp account for each publisher and give them a login and password. DreamHost offers a crazy amount of users so it won't be a problem.

I'm not sure how many users A Small Orange offers (never used them) but you should be able to do the same.

iGary
Jan 8, 2006, 08:51 AM
I would just create a login based ftp account for each publisher and give them a login and password. DreamHost offers a crazy amount of users so it won't be a problem.

That's exactly what I want to do - now I just have to fisgue out how. :p

Amall Orange is out of the picture - they aren't accepting any new shared hosting accounts right now, so I am going with DreamHosting - the deal is just too good.

iGary
Jan 8, 2006, 08:52 AM
P.S. - Thanks for all the help everyone.

I just saved $40 a month on my web hosting.

whfsdude
Jan 8, 2006, 08:57 AM
In DreamHost just go to Users > Manager Users and "Add New User"

Give them a ftp account only (not shell). Then you can set a disk quota for them so they don't upload stuff and go over your plans limits.

They can connect to your domain.com in the ftp window and enter their ftp information and it will log them into their account (don't worry they can't view the user your domain is running on) and then they can download and even upload.

You can put files in their ftp account by logging into them.

radiantm3
Jan 8, 2006, 09:00 AM
i'm a non-profit web host, so i have a lot of experience referring people to paid services and know most of the hosts listed here well. Some very good reliable hosts have been mentioned, but dreamhost is not among them. Dreamhost is a VERY poor hosting choice, and people do not stay with them long. While their prices might seem pretty alluring, keep in mind the old adage that "if it looks too good to be true, it probably is."

Just so this post isn't entirely negative I should mention that asmallorange has one of the best reputations in the market, and it is well deserved.

I doubt Mike Davidson and Dan Cederholm (among others) would be with dreamhost still if they were a poor choice. I've yet to have any issues with them. I'm not saying dreamhost is the best host. I've only been with a few. But there's always going to be complaints about every host because no host can be 100% without issues.

iGary
Jan 8, 2006, 09:20 AM
I just signed up with DreamHost - what a "dream" compared to Earthlink - with Earthlink I was spending 40 a month on two domains with no MySQL or any backend support of any kind.

Earthlink's control panel sucks.

This is awesome - thanks, folks.

I now have plenty of space and bandwidth for all of my sites at a quarter the cost.

jaseone
Jan 8, 2006, 10:39 AM
I am going with DreamHosting - the deal is just too good.

Isn't there some sort of saying about that? ;)

iGary
Jan 8, 2006, 10:52 AM
Isn't there some sort of saying about that? ;)

Well, you do have to pay up front, but I got my new domain registered for free, 20GB of storage and a TB of bandwidth for 112.00 for the year.

I was paying 40 a month for two sites on Earthlink. :eek:

Duh me.

Rower_CPU
Jan 8, 2006, 12:36 PM
Well, you do have to pay up front, but I got my new domain registered for free, 20GB of storage and a TB of bandwidth for 112.00 for the year.

I was paying 40 a month for two sites on Earthlink. :eek:

Duh me.

Hopefully you can try to apply a discount code - using "BEST", or another one floating around out there, you get $97 off the first year. The codes typically go to another Dreamhost customer as a little kickback for referrals, but I'm not one to turn down a year's worth of hosting for $20.

Plus, if they turn out to be as unreliable as 'Lemon and others have said, you're not out as much.

theappleguy
Jan 8, 2006, 04:00 PM
Just be careful because they are giving you are server worth of bandwidth for less per year than it is costing them for the server per month. If you try to use all of that space and bandwidth I'm 99.99% sure they will find a way to stop you.

Edit:
No experience myself, I am in the same position as you right now: trying to find myself a host.I would recommend avoiding hosts that oversell at super high levels. If your site is small you don't need that much space and bandwidth and if your site is big, as I said above, chances are they will limit your usage using other means like CPU restrictions (I'm not talking about DreamHost specifically, it is just a general statement about overselling in general). My recommendations are Myacen (http://www.myacen.com) and TJR Networks (http://www.tjrnetworks.com) (I notice they still seem to have their Christmas prices up so if you are lucky you might still be able to get 50% off). :p

_bnkr612
Jan 9, 2006, 07:16 PM
I just signed up with dreamhost and so far so good! Thanks again ChrisWB for the recommendation!

http://josephpeart.com/ coming soon...

I was using ehostpros.com and they somehow canceled my domain name and all was lost. Thankfully I had it backed up... Bastards... Don't use them, they and their customer service is pathetic.

But cheers anyway!

zimv20
Jan 9, 2006, 07:55 PM
i'm a reseller, as well. http://www.hostgator.com/ is who i get my services from. they've got excellent support and packages so good, i can't compete (though i do offer a $50/yr plan).

if anyone wants to host from me, check out http://www.zimfest.net/

Lau
Jan 10, 2006, 07:29 AM
Amall Orange is out of the picture - they aren't accepting any new shared hosting accounts right now, so I am going with DreamHosting - the deal is just too good.

Think you got off lightly - now both my sites are down, and so is www.asmallorange.com. And I need to phone two companies about work experience, and show them my portfolio site. And now I can't. :mad:

AmbitiousLemon
Jan 10, 2006, 07:30 AM
Think you got off lightly - now both my sites are down, and so is www.asmallorange.com. And I need to phone two companies about work experience, and show them my portfolio site. And now I can't. :mad:

i don't think its aso's fault. the past week or so there has been some weird activity on some upstream providers. right now a lot of sites are down that have no connection to aso.

Lau
Jan 10, 2006, 07:33 AM
i don't think its aso's fault. the past week or so there has been some weird activity on some upstream providers. right now a lot of sites are down that have no connection to aso.

Oh, ok, thanks for the information. Do they know what's causing it?

Doesn't stop it being annoying, though. :mad:

AmbitiousLemon
Jan 10, 2006, 07:44 AM
Oh, ok, thanks for the information. Do they know what's causing it?

Doesn't stop it being annoying, though. :mad:

Very annoying indeed. I don't know what is causing the issue, and I'm not certain the aso problem is connected to the recent weird activity (though I suspect it is), but we know where the problem is and it is being addressed.

I'm just glad we noticed this awhile ago and have been working on it - as we are still up and kicking.

Lau
Jan 10, 2006, 07:49 AM
Very annoying indeed. I don't know what is causing the issue, and I'm not certain the aso problem is connected to the recent weird activity (though I suspect it is), but we know where the problem is and it is being addressed.

I'm just glad we noticed this awhile ago and have been working on it - as we are still up and kicking.

Nice one. It's a shame other companies aren't as diligent! Thanks for the information though. It means I can just sit here being annoyed, as opposed to sitting here being annoyed and wondering what on earth is going on and worrying about it. ;) :D

AmbitiousLemon
Jan 10, 2006, 07:51 AM
It's a shame other companies aren't as diligent!

actually we are a non-profit - and always kick the corporate types' butts

Lau
Jan 10, 2006, 07:56 AM
actually we are a non-profit -

Sorry, I did see that on your site, and meant other companies as in profit-making. D'oh.

and always kick the corporate types' butts

Good stuff!

edit: They're back up, but very slooooow. Better than nothing though. :)

AmbitiousLemon
Jan 10, 2006, 10:01 AM
Some more info on dreamhost. What they are doing is called overselling. basically they sell more than they are capable of providing.

You wil find that Company X has a server with a 80Gb HDD & 500Gb transfer each month.

The shared hosting industry is created by dividing this server's resources into smaller chunks and allowing clients to rent them per anum.

For example the above server could host 100 8Gb storage & 50Gb transfer plans.

The problem with some hosts is that they would sell 200! 8GB storage & 50Gb transfer plans, anticipating that none of their clients will use all of their space & bandwith.

If all clients do decide to use their plan to its full potential (or even just a few of them) then all other clients service will be severly effected. This is "Overselling". Its not good, it delivers poor service but is generally damn cheap.

Hosts like this crop up from time to time and they all go out of business within 12 months in a rather spectacular way. Stay away.

Also of note they limit your account to 60 cpu minutes per day which means you will NEVER be able to use the bw you bought. At tops you can get around 120 - 150GB/month (12% of what you bought). Further they have been deleting negative comments from their company forums on this and other issues. They get very belligerent and unprofessional when you bring up issues like this with them. Customers are posting replies from dreamhost customer support in which they call their customers MotherF*****s and other kind words.

Also be dubious of anyone claiming to have been with dreamhost for a long time. The company is brand new. The name has been bought and sold over the years. The reason you see people rushing to recommend them isn't because they are good but because they offer customer incentives to refer people. Its the free ipods things essentially.

Also realize the rates you are being quoted are for the first year only - rates will go up.

It shouldn't take a very wise person to look at their rates and what they are offerring and realize that something isn't quite right. Please do yourself a favor and stay away from this fraudster of a host.

ChrisWB
Jan 10, 2006, 09:18 PM
Lemon,

That's pretty scary. If true, that makes me feel uneasy about my service with Dreamhost. I've been a customer for over a year and there haven't been any serious problems. If I start to experience any, I'll jump ship.

cycocelica
Jan 10, 2006, 10:13 PM
asmallorange.com

I love them.

iGary
Jan 11, 2006, 10:36 AM
Some more info on dreamhost. What they are doing is called overselling. basically they sell more than they are capable of providing.

You wil find that Company X has a server with a 80Gb HDD & 500Gb transfer each month.

The shared hosting industry is created by dividing this server's resources into smaller chunks and allowing clients to rent them per anum.

For example the above server could host 100 8Gb storage & 50Gb transfer plans.

The problem with some hosts is that they would sell 200! 8GB storage & 50Gb transfer plans, anticipating that none of their clients will use all of their space & bandwith.

If all clients do decide to use their plan to its full potential (or even just a few of them) then all other clients service will be severly effected. This is "Overselling". Its not good, it delivers poor service but is generally damn cheap.

Hosts like this crop up from time to time and they all go out of business within 12 months in a rather spectacular way. Stay away.

Also of note they limit your account to 60 cpu minutes per day which means you will NEVER be able to use the bw you bought. At tops you can get around 120 - 150GB/month (12% of what you bought). Further they have been deleting negative comments from their company forums on this and other issues. They get very belligerent and unprofessional when you bring up issues like this with them. Customers are posting replies from dreamhost customer support in which they call their customers MotherF*****s and other kind words.

Also be dubious of anyone claiming to have been with dreamhost for a long time. The company is brand new. The name has been bought and sold over the years. The reason you see people rushing to recommend them isn't because they are good but because they offer customer incentives to refer people. Its the free ipods things essentially.

Also realize the rates you are being quoted are for the first year only - rates will go up.

It shouldn't take a very wise person to look at their rates and what they are offerring and realize that something isn't quite right. Please do yourself a favor and stay away from this fraudster of a host.

*shrug*

No offense, but you say a lot of things withotu much proof.

If I have to move it is easy. I've heard many good things about DreamHost and very few bad ones. As with any service, I get unhappy and I leave. :)

AmbitiousLemon
Jan 11, 2006, 10:50 AM
*shrug*

No offense, but you say a lot of things withotu much proof.

If I have to move it is easy. I've heard many good things about DreamHost and very few bad ones. As with any service, I get unhappy and I leave. :)

Everything I have said are true and the information is available from other sources on the web. Most of what I say are simple facts and not open to interpretation. Things such as the fact that they are overselling and what this means. Facts such as them limiting your cpu minutes and the results this has on the actual bandwidth available to you. Some things that I do not have proof for are the removing of negative feedback from their forums - hard for me to back that up in any way other than to say do some research and you will find people all over the net who have seen it happen. It is also a fact that the business is nto as old as they claim. And lastly it is also an open fact that they pay people to reccommend them - meaning all those positive comments you have heard mean absolutely nothing. If you fall for this stuff, then I am sorry for you. Scams like this are well known in the web hosting business and this example is being talked about a lot on the net, so you can find many others out there saying what I am saying.

I know it is frustrating to hear that you have been cheated after the fact, but the sooner you accept that and move on the better you will be. This is in the same category of free ipods, people on ebay wanting to use western union for all the best deals, and princes from nigeria emailing you about millions of dollars.

I hoped that a post from Macrumors' oldest moderator and someone who has been in the business for many years would have more weight than the claims of this fraudster and the people they have paid to evangelize their services.

The good news about the situation is that it is likely to take many months before this business goes under. You will probably not need even the 120GB of actual bandwidth they can provide you. And people with modest hosting needs don't tend to notice the problems associated with overselling (by that I mean the bad bandwidth). Keep good backups, don't use it to host anything important, and be prepared to find a new host on short (or no) notice and you will probably be fine. The only bad part is you are paying money to a bad company that has lied to you (or simply deceived you depending on your opinion).

Also of note, asmallorange doesn't pay its clients to say good things about them - those claims you can actually believe.

iGary
Jan 11, 2006, 10:56 AM
Everything I have said are true and the information is available from other sources on the web. Most of what I say are simple facts and not open to interpretation. Things such as the fact that they are overselling and what this means. Facts such as them limiting your cpu minutes and the results this has on the actual bandwidth available to you. Some things that I do not have proof for are the removing of negative feedback from their forums - hard for me to back that up in any way other than to say do some research and you will find people all over the net who have seen it happen. It is also a fact that the business is nto as old as they claim. And lastly it is also an open fact that they pay people to reccommend them - meaning all those positive comments you have heard mean absolutely nothing. If you fall for this stuff, then I am sorry for you. Scams like this are well known in the web hosting business and this example is being talked about a lot on the net, so you can find many others out there saying what I am saying.

I know it is frustrating to hear that you have been cheated after the fact, but the sooner you accept that and move on the better you will be. This is in the same category of free ipods, people on ebay wanting to use western union for all the best deals, and princes from nigeria emailing you about millions of dollars.

I hoped that a post from Macrumors' oldest moderator and someone who has been in the business for many years would have more weight than the claims of this fraudster and the people they have paid to evangelize their services.

The good news about the situation is that it is likely to take many months before this business goes under. You will probably not need even the 120GB of actual bandwidth they can provide you. And people with modest hosting needs don't tend to notice the problems associated with overselling (by that I mean the bad bandwidth). Keep good backups, don't use it to host anything important, and be prepared to find a new host on short (or no) notice and you will probably be fine. The only bad part is you are paying money to a bad company that has lied to you (or simply deceived you depending on your opinion).

Also of note, asmallorange doesn't pay its clients to say good things about them - those claims you can actually believe.

They also do not have any hosting avilable right now. ;)

No one has cheated me - so far they have provided everything promised. Thanks for the tips and feeling sorry for me, though. :)

AmbitiousLemon
Jan 11, 2006, 11:03 AM
They also do not have any hosting avilable right now. ;)

No one has cheated me - so far they have provided everything promised. Thanks for the tips, though.

Actually aso is offering hosting right now. They just have a maximum on how many new accounts they add each day until a new order of Sun servers gets set up (apparently Sun was extremely backed up for awhile). The issue should resolve rather soon though since the machines have finally shipped.

I should also add that this is what a responsible company that respects its customers and values quality does. By limiting the number of new clients added each day they are able to better balance the load on their servers, and therefore provide the very best hosting possible with none of the overselling associated problems that you will experience with dreamhost and their like

iGary
Jan 11, 2006, 11:36 AM
Actually aso is offering hosting right now. They just have a maximum on how many new accounts they add each day until a new order of Sun servers gets set up (apparently Sun was extremely backed up for awhile). The issue should resolve rather soon though since the machines have finally shipped.

I should also add that this is what a responsible company that respects its customers and values quality does. By limiting the number of new clients added each day they are able to better balance the load on their servers, and therefore provide the very best hosting possible with none of the overselling associated problems that you will experience with dreamhost and their like

You know what?

You made me feel dirty enough to get my money back and switch.

DreamHost gave me my money back, and I'm now signed up with ASO.

Forgive me for being a bit spite, but you were getting alittle sassy there. ;)

AmbitiousLemon
Jan 11, 2006, 11:43 AM
Forgive me for being a bit spite, but you were getting alittle sassy there. ;)

Well i guess I was feeling miffed that you subtly suggested that I was making things up. I didn't intend to get into a huge bash dreamhost tirade, but the more I read about them the more I felt I needed to share it. I mean it was obvious to those in the industry that they were overselling, and them limiting cpu minutes came out pretty quickly, but the abusive manner they have taken in responding to clients has been appalling. We've seen massive oversellers come and go over the years, but dreamhost is the worst example - though i suspect they will eventually be upstaged by someone offering petabytes of bandwidth.

Again so this isn't all negative I thought I'd mention another good host that recently came to my attention NearlyFreeSpeech (https://www.nearlyfreespeech.net/). Good people with a very unique pricing structure that can easily beat any other host's prices for small sites. Reliable low latency bandwidth too.

iGary
Jan 11, 2006, 11:46 AM
Well i guess I was feeling miffed that you subtly suggested that I was making things up. I didn't intend to get into a huge bash dreamhost tirade, but the more I read about them the more I felt I needed to share it. I mean it was obvious to those in the industry that they were overselling, and them limiting cpu minutes came out pretty quickly, but the abusive manner they have taken in responding to clients has been appalling. We've seen massive oversellers come and go over the years, but dreamhost is the worst example - though i suspect they will eventually be upstaged by someone offering petabytes of bandwidth.

Again so this isn't all negative I thought I'd mention another good host that recently came to my attention NearlyFreeSpeech (https://www.nearlyfreespeech.net/). Good people with a very unique pricing structure that can easily beat any other host's prices for small sites. Reliable low latency bandwidth too.

Well thanks - I'd never use all the bandwidth they offer, but it snagged me, especially with so many recommended here.

I went over to ASO and was far more impressed with their discussion forums and support options. That is what really did it.

theappleguy
Jan 11, 2006, 05:22 PM
I went over to ASO and was far more impressed with their discussion forums and support options. That is what really did it.
A lot of people buy from cheap hosts and don't know what they are missing out on until they switch to a proper host. I guess it's kind of like the Windows user switching to a Mac scenario. :p

thendis
Jan 17, 2006, 09:59 PM
You guys seem to have squeezed all the juice out of A Small Orange, their site says "Due a large number of sign ups, orders have been automatically disabled for the day."

I came across this thread while looking for a host myself. I too, was very skeptical of Dreamhost, and AmbitiousLemon's comments about the CPU limit was the lightbulb moment for me.

ASO looks fantastic - a great deal without being too great that it's dodgy.

only problem is I have to wait until tomorrow to sign up!

*hmph*

Thanks for clearing thingd up AmbitiousLemon, I was finding it really hard to find an objective viewpoint on the matter.

therevolution
Jan 17, 2006, 10:40 PM
I have an account with ASO, so I'll chime in with a quick review. It's generally been very good, though I had a recent encounter with tech support that wan't so great. The guy trying to help me was pretty much incompetent, but we only wasted a few email exchanges before another tech took over and the problem got solved. To their credit, they respond to support requests very quickly. They still get a thumbs-up from me.

jared_kipe
Jan 18, 2006, 09:54 PM
I've very satisfied with bluehost.com 250gb transfer a month, 100gb storage, for only $7 a month. If you decide to go with bluehost follow the link from my website. www.sailbyair.com as I get a kick back.

AmbitiousLemon
Jan 18, 2006, 09:56 PM
I've very satisfied with bluehost.com 250gb transfer a month, 100gb storage, for only $7 a month. If you decide to go with bluehost follow the link from my website. www.sailbyair.com as I get a kick back.

massive overselling + referral kickbacks = very bad host

theBB
Jan 19, 2006, 01:36 AM

Thanks for the info... I checked out "nearlyfreespeech" website. No ads with very flexible and reasonable pricing. Just what I was looking for... I like their freespeech stance as well. Oh, it also comes recommended by "Macrumors' oldest moderator", can't beat that. :)

jared_kipe
Jan 19, 2006, 07:20 PM
massive overselling + referral kickbacks = very bad host
No bluehost is a good host, I have 100+mb email accounts for friends and family. I've never found a web technology they don't support that I need, I run PHP, and mySQL (except webdav, but nobody does, and I got around it with a PHP program). I get subdomains for more websites, and I can install plug in things such as my forums, directly from the Bluehost control panel.

I'm not trying to "oversell" it, I'm giving you the FACTS that are important to most people. And if he decides to go with bluehost, why should he do so through a fellow macrumors site so they get credit. Would it be different if I said things about dotMac and said to use me as a referral so I get next year free when 4 people do it?

But don't take my word for bluehost
http://sitereview.org/?article=1779
http://www.top-10-web-hosts.com/
http://www.domainhosting-review.com/

I shopped around for a long time before picking Bluehost, and you come along and tear my endorsement down. Wow.

AmbitiousLemon
Jan 19, 2006, 07:24 PM
I shopped around for a long time before picking Bluehost, and you come along and tear my endorsement down. Wow.

Before you get yourself too worked up try reading the whoe thread. I was referring to a practice in web hosting called overselling which I described in detail earlier in this thread. It is an extremely dangerous and deceptive practice that unscrupulous and inexperienced web hosts use to get clients. I don't know anything about bluehost, but looking at the packages they offer it is clear they are guilty of massive overselling. I simply wanted to bring this to everyone's attention as people who care about quality web hosting will want to know what kind of deceptive business practices this host uses.

jared_kipe
Jan 19, 2006, 08:11 PM
Before you get yourself too worked up try reading the whoe thread. I was referring to a practice in web hosting called overselling which I described in detail earlier in this thread. It is an extremely dangerous and deceptive practice that unscrupulous and inexperienced web hosts use to get clients. I don't know anything about bluehost, but looking at the packages they offer it is clear they are guilty of massive overselling. I simply wanted to bring this to everyone's attention as people who care about quality web hosting will want to know what kind of deceptive business practices this host uses.
I've read, I've never had any problems with Bluehost. If I started putting up huge GB files and suddenly they told me I didn't get any more space that would be different. But for what I do, its fine, and they are cheap for what they offer.

Oh, and you say they go out of business? Bluehost has been around for a long while. Since 1996 according to them, and I've been using them for a year. So far still in business. ;)

AmbitiousLemon
Jan 19, 2006, 08:20 PM
I've read, I've never had any problems with Bluehost. If I started putting up huge GB files and suddenly they told me I didn't get any more space that would be different. But for what I do, its fine, and they are cheap for what they offer.

Oh, and you say they go out of business? Bluehost has been around for a long while. Since 1996 according to them, and I've been using them for a year. So far still in business. ;)

But you see, thats why overselling works for a little while. You never use what you have purchased. You don't actually have 250GB of bandwidth. You might think its a good deal, but its not if you are only using a tiny fraction of that bw. Its a good deal if you get 250Gb for $8, but thats not what you get. You should look at what you actually use and see if there is another host who may not give you 250GB for $8, but gives you how much you actually use for something less than $8. Its like buying 100 gallons of milk at some warehouse grocery store. It might be a good deal but if you can't actually use that much millk then you are wasting your money. Only difference is with web hosting they don't actually have the 250GB available for each client who buys it. What happens is eventually you or one of your neighbors starts using more and more bw and this adversely effects you bw since there isn't enough to go around. Or they do something like dream host where they limit your cpu minutes meaning you literally can not use the 250GB. O and I doubt the company has been around since 1996 - perhaps the name has but the current company with the current owners, never.

It surprises me that people on this forum can be so savvy about fraud on ebay (someone whispers about a deal too good to be true and western union to transfer money and the forum rushes to warn the person) but fraud with web hosts and people actually defend the people who are ripping them off. Sad.

CanadaRAM
Jan 19, 2006, 08:50 PM
Whew.

Just to chip in, before choosing a host, remember that blacklisting and blocking takes place on an IP level. So you need to kn ow whether your host-to-be is clean or dirty.

Check the host out with the various blocklists. Have they shown up frequently? Are they currently blocked anywhere. If the have been blocked, was it for a short time, or was it chronic?

Find out what the host's policies are re: adult sites, free iPod sites, spamming (or Permission-Based Direct Email MarketingTM). If the host you are on permits shady site operators to live there, you run the risk of your site being blocked along with the porn/spam/scam sites because your site is on a server that shares the same IP address or IP range that will get blocked.

If they advertise mailing list management, "permission" marketing services or "adult friendly" you don't want to be there.

They may also be reselling server space on IP addresses that were formerly used by porn/spam/scam, and may still be blacklisted.

You are looking for a host that enforces a no-garbage policy, and terminates spammers quickly and brutally.

AmbitiousLemon
Jan 19, 2006, 08:54 PM
You are looking for a host that enforces a no-garbage policy, and terminates spammers quickly and brutally.

VERY good advice. I know most of us just pass right over things like "Terms of Service" agreements, but you really should spend some time reading the terms of service (or whatever your host calls them). In addition to things like refund policies, you can also get an idea about how they handle some of those things brought up by CanadaRAM

ChrisWB
Jan 19, 2006, 09:13 PM
This thread really disturbs me. I wish I could cancel my Dreamhost contract and switch to another host. I certainly won't renew my service after this year.

Lemon,

I think it would help if we put together a list of good hosts. In order to be labeled as good they'd have to meet a criteria: no overselling, good support, etc.

radiantm3
Jan 19, 2006, 09:31 PM
This thread really disturbs me. I wish I could cancel my Dreamhost contract and switch to another host. I certainly won't renew my service after this year.

Lemon,

I think it would help if we put together a list of good hosts. In order to be labeled as good they'd have to meet a criteria: no overselling, good support, etc.
Why, have you been having issues with them? I know Lemon is trying to "help", but I don't see why everyone is getting all frantic over this thread. I know people who have been with dreamhost since 97 without any real issues. And as I mentioned, before, I'm not trying say they are the best host you can get, but if you haven't had any issues with them, why worry? I don't plan to switch until they give me a reason to. And so far they have been really good for me and for a few high traffic sites that I visit frequently.

amemoryoncelost
Jan 19, 2006, 10:26 PM
Even though you've gone elsewhere and apparantly they aren't offering shared hosting right now, asmallorange.com

Went through a couple of hosts before deciding to stick with ASO, so yeah, keep an eye on them in the future at least...

ChrisWB
Jan 19, 2006, 10:57 PM
Why, have you been having issues with them? I know Lemon is trying to "help", but I don't see why everyone is getting all frantic over this thread. I know people who have been with dreamhost since 97 without any real issues. And as I mentioned, before, I'm not trying say they are the best host you can get, but if you haven't had any issues with them, why worry? I don't plan to switch until they give me a reason to. And so far they have been really good for me and for a few high traffic sites that I visit frequently.
No, I haven't had any issues with them, but I have a business website on one account that is very important. They can't afford to be down for any significant amount of time.

phampton81
Feb 12, 2006, 03:09 AM
O and I doubt the company has been around since 1996 - perhaps the name has but the current company with the current owners, never.

Funny stuff Lemon, my sister worked for dreamhost for over 5 years. I bet she would be surprised to hear they had been bought and sold as many times as you claim to know somehow.

I wish I knew more about this cpu limiting but I don't. I do know that dreahost has been around since somewhere in the late 90's (96, maybe 97), where it was started by 4 students at Harvey Mudd in Claremont California, the 4 oringinal founders still own their share of the company and play some sort of active role in it in someway. One of the four is listed on wikipedia so I don't feel bad mentioning his name here, it's Sage Weil also the creator of "Webring" which was sold to yahoo years ago. Out of the other three two are involved daily with the business and the fourth maintains his role as "honcho" (term used by the employees for the four founders) on major company issues. None have sold their share in the company....ever.

I do wonder what your reasons for recruiting away from them is. No one here has had any negative experience with them so I am not exactly sure why you would feel the need to bash dreamhost so much. Anyway, if you want I can throw a couple company email addys your way that may clear up some of these issues.

AmbitiousLemon
Feb 12, 2006, 10:32 AM
Ok I'm getting really tried of people like the poster above. Just do a search for dreamhost in google. You will find absolutely everything I have written is backed up by solid evidence and that there are literally hundreds of people who have had extremely bad experiences with dreamhost.

Its really quite crazy the way some people have tried to defend this fraudster of a host. Its like women who have a hard time admitting their partner is abusive. This last poster mentioned his sister "used to" work for dreamhost. Well their recent drop in quality could quite possibly have occurred after she left.

It should be noted that it was apparently only recently that Dreamhost seems to have switched from offering quality hosting to massively oversold poor quality / poor support hosting and that this change seems to have roughly coincided with a cheange in ownership. You will read all about this if you do a search yourself. I'll close this thread now and just leave it up to any readers to go forth and find the info themselves if they are still interested in a 'too good to be true deal.'