Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I'm tired of Earthlink.

Entertain me.

Ideally I would like to transfer 3 domains.

Basic sites - not a ton of bandwidth or hosting space needed.

2GB/40GB would work well.

Good service, easy to use control panel etc.

Thanks.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Hrmm - did a search with no success.

Many thanks for looking for those and posting them. Ay experience with them?

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
No experience myself, I am in the same position as you right now: trying to find myself a host.

ChrisWB

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2004
Chicago
Gary,

I have used Aplus.net and Dreamhost. I received reliable service with them both, but stuck with Dreamhost due to its pricing and the easy-to-use control panel. I recommend either one of them.

Another host that's frequently cited on here is A Small Orange.

Note, if you go with Dreamhost, current customers (including myself) can refer you via a coupon and give you a significant discount on whatever plan you sign up with. The way this works is you basically share the refferal reward with the current customer.

Another option - I'm a Dreamhost reseller, which means I can resell a portion of my account to you. We'd negotiate the pricing in private if you were interested.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
a small orange and (mt) have consistently provided me with the most reliable connections (aso as a user and client, (mt) as a user), while Dreamhost has quite possibly the crappiest connections and worst reliability I know of, which explains why it is cheap. You can't have you cake and eat it, too...

radiantm3

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2005
San Jose, CA
Dreamhost just upped their disk space and bandwidth to a ridiculous amount. I've been with them for a few months and haven't been happier. None of the mentioned sites even come close in terms of bang for the buck.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Hostway is very good. I use them for my own personal site and for two artists' sites that I've created. Awesome uptime, great customer service, a huge variety of service plans, and a really good control panel for everything.

ChrisWB

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2004
Chicago
iGary said:
Can you host multiple domains on A Small Orange?

Can't seem to find that.
iGary, I checked their forums and this thread answers your question. Short answer: yes, with some limitations.

Edit: With the $5 reseller option added, you can apparently have domains appear as separate accounts, otherwise they're treated as subdomains.

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
i use hostfor2bucks ... not too great when it comes to the details, but it is dirt cheap..

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I have 2 sites hosted on iPowerWeb. They automatically upgraded my $8/month account to unlimited disk space and 40GB transfer a month. It's great for me because I have about 800 MB of h.264 videos on it, and I plan to be uploading at least another 2 GB in the next few hours. :D

Here's to the Crazy Ones

L

Lau

iGary said:
Can you host multiple domains on A Small Orange?

Can't seem to find that.

I do. :) I can talk you through the process if need be, as it took a while to get my head round it.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
i'm a non-profit web host, so i have a lot of experience referring people to paid services and know most of the hosts listed here well. Some very good reliable hosts have been mentioned, but dreamhost is not among them. Dreamhost is a VERY poor hosting choice, and people do not stay with them long. While their prices might seem pretty alluring, keep in mind the old adage that "if it looks too good to be true, it probably is."

Just so this post isn't entirely negative I should mention that asmallorange has one of the best reputations in the market, and it is well deserved.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
I was with ASmallOrange and can't recommend them highly enough. But I moved to DreamHost as the offers were just too good to turn down.

I have to say I've experienced no problems with them and wouldn't hesitate in recommending them. True the support can take awhile to get back to you but no longer than 24 hours the few times I've had to contact them.

And the bandwidth + disk space is unbelievable. I was dubious as well (and still am to a certain extent) but they seem to have delivered so far. My site has been getting hit hard recently, over 10GB of bandwidth used a day, and it's still holding up strong.

Feel free to contact me if you want a discount voucher.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Lau said:
I do. :) I can talk you through the process if need be, as it took a while to get my head round it.

Good - I think I may go with them - at least for my smaller sites (3).

I have a site which is going to require immense bandwidth and storage, so I may have to get a dedicted server for that.

Thanks for the offer, Lau - I will be getting in contact. :D

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
OK - it is down to DreamHost and A Small Orange now - I can't seem to find out if DreamHost's package supports setting up an FTP site...Help?

whfsdude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2002
Washington DC
iGary said:
OK - it is down to DreamHost and A Small Orange now - I can't seem to find out if DreamHost's package supports setting up an FTP site...Help?

Define ftp site? Do you mean uploading via php or anonymous ftp? DreamHost supports both. Anonymous ftp will require a dedicated IP. FTP via PHP has a limit of 7mb with their compiled version (but you can run your own copy of php with whatever limit you set).

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
whfsdude said:
Define ftp site? Do you mean uploading via php or anonymous ftp? DreamHost supports both. Anonymous ftp will require a dedicated IP. FTP via PHP has a limit of 7mb with their compiled version (but you can run your own copy of php with whatever limit you set).

Are you still listening to HFS ala Espanol? :p :D

Thanks - I don't know enough about web crap, but s long as I can setup some way for publishers to yank files, it will save me a ton in FedEx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.