PDA

View Full Version : 10 Week Wait

Wardofsky
Jan 9, 2003, 02:04 AM
Naturally I want to get one of the new PB's (The 12inch one) but, here in Australia(No puns please), there is a 10 week(!) wait until they are here, and then a 2-4 build time.

NicoMan
Jan 9, 2003, 02:23 AM
A bit off topic, but funny how your first name is spelt. I thought that in English speaking countries it was spelt Edward.

Anyway, back to the subject, 10 week is a looooong time. I feel for you. Especially when it is more than likely that they will be made in Taiwan or something, which would make it closer to you than to the US or Europe...

Patience, patience...

NicoMan

Wardofsky
Jan 9, 2003, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by NicoMan
A bit off topic, but funny how your first name is spelled. I thought that in English speaking countries it was spelled Edward.

I believe my name is French.

NicoMan
Jan 9, 2003, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by Wardofsky

I believe my name is French.
You are absolutely right (I am French and my bro's name is spelt like yours).

Nicoman

jaguarx
Jan 9, 2003, 05:06 AM
Yea i'm in Australia too and i want to get a 17".
I'm going to singapore in about a month, hopefuly they'll have them there by then, fingers crossed.

I'm in melbourne too, what suburb are you in? I'm in Sandringham =)

Squire
Jan 9, 2003, 06:54 AM
Hey, I can relate to the guy Down Under. I called an Apple reseller here in Korea yesterday. They had both of the new PowerBooks listed on their site. Asked them about the 12-incher and they said 2 months. (I could've sworn Steve said 2 weeks.)

When I asked them about the superdrive-equipped one, they estimated it to be about $350 more! Ouch. (Could've sworn Steve said $200.) I hope they were just ill-informed. I might have to go for an eMac.

Wardofsky
Jan 9, 2003, 08:16 AM
I wonder what the new metal (Can't remeber the name) would feel, look, taste (Whoops, I uhh, wasn't meant to say that out loud), was one of the reasons of changing the metal for better reception, but then again they did put the anteneas visibly on the screen.

losfp
Jan 9, 2003, 04:37 PM
Did you find out from a reseller re: the timeframe?

Actually that's probably not a bad thing for me. Gives me time to actually save up cash for it instead of putting it on the credit card!! I might call one of the local applecentres to confirm that it's going to take @)#*$)#@( ages. Also I guess it forces me to wait until proper reviews of the machines come out.

Honestly, how long does it take to ship them? Aren't they all built in Taiwan or something anyway?

jaguarx
Jan 9, 2003, 04:56 PM
I got the timeframe from the apple.com.au store order sheet.

For some wierd reason the Singapore store site does not have the new PBs yet, but it has an image of the 17" and 'coming soon' on the side, wtf?!

Wardofsky
Jan 9, 2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by jaguarx
Yea i'm in Australia too and i want to get a 17".
I'm going to singapore in about a month, hopefuly they'll have them there by then, fingers crossed.

I'm in melbourne too, what suburb are you in? I'm in Sandringham =)

I am in the humble Middle Park, if you don't know where that is, it's next to Albert Park (The Grand Prick ;-)

*Edit*

I think the 17's are cool but a bit too big for my liking, however it has some of the coolest features that a notebook could offer (The keyboard, speakers, the biggest laptop screen...).

I like the 12's because it would be easy enough to carry around the place in my backpack.

Wardofsky
Jan 9, 2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by losfp
Did you find out from a reseller re: the timeframe?

I know a "friend" in one of the Apple Authorized Reseller stores, he said about a 10 week wait until they get them in.

losfp
Jan 9, 2003, 07:30 PM
D'oh, as they say in the classics.

Nevermind. I don't have the money now anyway (though it's a close call that I might have slapped it on the credit card anyway, if it was available today ;))

losfp
Jan 9, 2003, 07:50 PM
Hmmm.. i just called a place in Sydney, and they said they were expecting deliveries late Jan, early feb. That's very different to ten weeks! Might call a few more places and see if the stories match ;-)

Wardofsky
Jan 10, 2003, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by losfp
Hmmm.. i just called a place in Sydney, and they said they were expecting deliveries late Jan, early feb. That's very different to ten weeks! Might call a few more places and see if the stories match ;-)

Well, I was told 10 weeks, but then again, the iMacs coming in were unpredictable so, who knows...

benixau
Jan 10, 2003, 05:58 AM
hmmmm ....

low stock (none)
very hard to get
long wait

based on previous asumptions (15" imacs) that means that we are going to see an update of the powerbooks sometime soon. :)

oh well it is a rumor site :D

datalok
Jan 10, 2003, 09:24 AM
just ask anyone who works in an Apple dealership about Apple Australias stock control and delivery systems - the words pissup brewery and organise are bound to crop up!

BTW - I'm in Moorabbin

Liamcow
Jan 10, 2003, 07:52 PM
was one of the reasons of changing the metal for better reception, but then again they did put the anteneas visibly on the screen.
The metal They used is Aluminum, John Ive said that it's actually "aircraft grade anodized aluminum" ...it's supposed to be really light...
The old TiBooks were really easily scratched and the paint chipped all the time, so they made it out of a stronger metal...I guess it helps for reception also...

JSRockit
Jan 11, 2003, 08:36 AM
Anybody know how long til we can expect to see the 12" for sale is the US?

Liamcow
Feb 1, 2003, 12:34 AM
SATURDAY, FEBUARY 1ST!!!! TOMORROW 10:30amEST!!!!:D
as you can see, I'm buying my 12" powerbook tomorrow