Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I wanted to actually quote someone today and not just use it I respond to them and it makes you type something. I was just wondering if macrumors will ever let you just quote and not say anything.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The forum will not permit only a quote in a post you must have some other text.

With that said, its against the rules not to add any information to a post.

That is quoting without any real input is considered frivolous as it does not extend the dialog

From the Forum Rules:

Useless and one-word posts. Do not bother making posts with only one or two words (e.g., "cool" or LOL) or a smilie, or post simply to have the first reply in a thread. Such posts waste everyone's time and will be deleted. Posts saying "I agree", "+1", "this", "me too", or the equivalent are also routinely removed, so don't post them. If you aren't interested in a thread, skip the thread; don't post to tell us you aren't interested. If you celebrate making the first post in a news thread, your post will be deleted.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
New York
you did see what the other members up top did?
select all and see in case so you understand ;)

Yeah I seen what they did but I won't do it becuase it's against the rules. I do think that the rules may need a little update that says we can quote and then we need the ability to quote with out saying anything.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yeah I seen what they did but I won't do it becuase it's against the rules. I do think that the rules may need a little update that says we can quote and then we need the ability to quote with out saying anything.

What point is there to just quote what was said and not include your thoughts? As a discussion forum, the rules are designed to help facilitate and encourage discussions, this includes treating people with respect but also prohibiting posting things like +1, "this" or image only posts which do nothing to add to a discussion

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I wanted to actually quote someone today and not just use it I respond to them and it makes you type something. I was just wondering if macrumors will ever let you just quote and not say anything.

I don't get why. What are you even contributing when you simply quote someone and not bother responding to or expanding on their thought? If this site let you do that then what beneficial purpose could it possibly serve? If you want to agree with someone, agree with them. Quote them and write that you agree and such.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Quoting is not something I would use often but if someone says something really well said you could say the same and it shows more people agree with that

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I do sometimes but the problem is when I try to reply to something my iPhone 4 is really slow with typing on the desktop site.

Yes, I sympathise since I remember how painful it was. It was perfectly fine on whatever iOS came with the iPhone 4, but the next version made responding on forums really slow. However, simply quoting somebody's post without saying anything is still pointless.

=w=

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
Quoting is not something I would use often but if someone says something really well said you could say the same and it shows more people agree with that

Why not just quote the person and make it known that you agree with their post and that you think it was well-said.

Since the rules have been stated that you have to add information to a post, you could add a reason why you agree with the poster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.