Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I have noticed now in iOS 7.1 on my iPhone 4 I can not turn off voice control on the lock screen. I have no idea why apple would take that out but they did. I liked that before becuase I never use voice control just becuase it sucks and I know if I press it it will make something up and then call someone. I'm not to happy that apple did this.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
I have noticed now in iOS 7.1 on my iPhone 4 I can not turn off voice control on the lock screen. I have no idea why apple would take that out but they did. I liked that before becuase I never use voice control just becuase it sucks and I know if I press it it will make something up and then call someone. I'm not to happy that apple did this.

It can be turned off on the 4S and above by disabling Siri on the lock screen. Unfortunately this isn't an option for iPhone 4 users.

djl

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2005
Oh my I just installed 7.1 and the first thing I tried to do was disable voice control and it looks like Apple have removed the option!!! NIGHTMARE - if anyone knows how to disable it please let us know! :mad:

==========

OK people I think I've found a solution to this (courtesy of pesun at the apple discussion forums - link https://discussions.apple.com/message/25141994#25141994)

Do the following:-

Code:
1. Turn Siri on --> settings --> general --> Siri
2. (just for the case you deactivated Siri here, not sure if you need to do that)
settings --> general --> restrictions --> Siri on
3. settings --> passcode --> Turn Passcode on --> Allow Access when Locked --> Siri OFF

and it works better than before since you can't activate Voice Control anymore when your iPhone is locked…

Now, when I press and hold the home button (when the phone is locked) voice control doesn't come on! It's irritating that you have to enable Siri but to be honest it is FAR better than having voice control call every man and his dog without your knowledge…;)

==========

Last edited:

sonoma03

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2014
I don't understand how anyone could accidentally activate the voice control.

The problem many people are having (including me) is that voice control turns itself on when the phone is in a purse or pocket. Then it starts dialing people at random or playing music. It's VERY irritating. I can't find any way to turn it off on my iPhone 4 with iOS 7.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The problem many people are having (including me) is that voice control turns itself on when the phone is in a purse or pocket. Then it starts dialing people at random or playing music. It's VERY irritating. I can't find any way to turn it off on my iPhone 4 with iOS 7.
Many people have this issue? It seems that as much as all kinds of things get complained about on forums like this one, even much less important and almost pointless things like icon colors get way more complaints than something like this, which really hasn't had many threads/posts as far as complaints as far as I can tell.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Well it doesn't happen to me often but it happens. It Comes on and calls some one. It has happened to me before

thigh dialing is much easier on iOS 7 because you can swipe anywhere (not just the slide to unlock bar) to unlock the phone. Of course it's not likely to happen if you have enabled a passcode, however, thigh opening of camera is more likely and will consume a lot of battery power if it happens.

blkridinghd

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2014
It's OS 7.1 and I do not have Siri and it is not in Restrictions for me to enable/disable. So the one fix available to me is not available to me.
I have Reset the settings and still nothing.

It calls randomly when it hears my voice. Its a living nightmare.

iph4s user

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2014
voice control issue

I accidentally activated voice control on my 4s and after reading posts, was still unable to deactivate it. I took the phone into the local AT&T store. The technician said voice control can be turned off on the 4s by pressing the home button three times in rapid succession. To turn voice control back on, repeat the process. I'm guessing that is how it gets turned on accidentally in the first place.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's OS 7.1 and I do not have Siri and it is not in Restrictions for me to enable/disable. So the one fix available to me is not available to me.
I have Reset the settings and still nothing.

It calls randomly when it hears my voice. Its a living nightmare.
What do you mean it calls randomly when it hears your voice? How does it get activated to begin with?

----------

thigh dialing is much easier on iOS 7 because you can swipe anywhere (not just the slide to unlock bar) to unlock the phone. Of course it's not likely to happen if you have enabled a passcode, however, thigh opening of camera is more likely and will consume a lot of battery power if it happens.
The camera shortcut worked the same way in iOS 6 and I believe even some versions of iOS 5, so that's definitely nothing new. I'd have to say it's not that easily to have it accidentally happen, but it certainly can.

----------

I accidentally activated voice control on my 4s and after reading posts, was still unable to deactivate it. I took the phone into the local AT&T store. The technician said voice control can be turned off on the 4s by pressing the home button three times in rapid succession. To turn voice control back on, repeat the process. I'm guessing that is how it gets turned on accidentally in the first place.
The triple-click home is an accessibility shortcut: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5018

blkridinghd

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2014
C DM
Voice Control has activated and dialled random Contact numbers even when the phone was sitting motionless and locked on the table. And in my pocket. Usually when I hit the home key once and the number dials without any apparent relationship between the words I speak and the name it chooses.

I look in my Recent dialled numbers and there's calls made (some 5mins) to Contacts that I never made.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
C DM
Voice Control has activated and dialled random Contact numbers even when the phone was sitting motionless and locked on the table. And in my pocket. Usually when I hit the home key once and the number dials without any apparent relationship between the words I speak and the name it chooses.

I look in my Recent dialled numbers and there's calls made (some 5mins) to Contacts that I never made.
It sounds like there's an issue of some sort with the phone you have, perhaps its home button, something else in terms of hardware, or something else along those lines. While perhaps disabling Voice Dial would avoid the random issue of it getting activated, the underlying issue of something activating it to begin with seems like would still be present.

Emailmyremail

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2015
I find it hard to believe this doesn't happen to everyone. Have you never put your iPhone in your pocket? Nearly every time I bend over/squat with in my pocket it'll start playing music, FaceTime, or call my boss or ex girlfriend. Apple probably figured out that the iPhone 4 does this and made it a mandatory feature to encourage upgrading.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I find it hard to believe this doesn't happen to everyone. Have you never put your iPhone in your pocket? Nearly every time I bend over/squat with in my pocket it'll start playing music, FaceTime, or call my boss or ex girlfriend. Apple probably figured out that the iPhone 4 does this and made it a mandatory feature to encourage upgrading.

How does it do it? Is Siri or Voice Control activated somehow and that's what's doing it?

glove00001

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2016
Coastal Georgia
Many people have this issue? It seems that as much as all kinds of things get complained about on forums like this one, even much less important and almost pointless things like icon colors get way more complaints than something like this, which really hasn't had many threads/posts as far as complaints as far as I can tell.
I'm still using an iPhone 4S (verizon), but with a prepaid company. My minutes will run out and then I have to buy another year's worth. As for the voice control acting up, the first Lifeproof case I had, pushed easily on the home button (while in my pocket) and was always making random calls. Weird that I have two of these cases that I bought at Target and they are slightly different in color and in the shape of the front plastic, specifically around the home button. So, here I am, with my old phone that is slowly falling apart. It is in mint condition, as it has always been in a case. But the power button is stuck and two days ago when I dropped my phone, the screen went black. The phone still works, but the screen is either detached at the connector, or just gave up after 6 years. So, now I have a phone that I cannot turn off or make calls. Previously, I was able to turn it off using the screen.
Now, here's the funny part. I took it out of the case, because eventually, I will open it up and try and reconnect the screen. Next thing I did, is try to use Siri, or rather voice control. (running the last version of iOS 7) First, I held the home button, and when prompted, I said, "turn off phone." Well, it called a motorcycle store from my contacts. That went to voicemail and soon ended the call. So, I figured instead, I'd say, "power off." It called my local co-op credit union branch...
Well, you know how they have a lack of sophistication...
Their voicemail just repeats over and over again until I hit a number option.
Which I can't do because no screen.
So, now I am in an endless call and can't hang up.
Short of driving into the middle of nowhere, I need to create a "no service" condition in order to end the call. I wrapped the phone once or twice in aluminum foil and the call was promptly ended.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.