PDA

View Full Version : Smart Playlist Question - Random feature

jallred350
Jan 10, 2006, 08:39 AM
I have a couple of smart playlists that are set up to randomly select songs. My question is: does iTunes re-sample automatically every so often or do I have to go in and do something to make it choose a new random sample?

The way I have it set up, iTunes has not re-sampled yet and it has been 2 days. Do I need to do something else?

Thanks.

balamw
Jan 10, 2006, 08:50 AM
The way I have it set up, iTunes has not re-sampled yet and it has been 2 days. Do I need to do something else?

Smart Playlists are only updated when you sync with iTunes. Didn't always used to be that way. :(

B

jallred350
Jan 10, 2006, 08:52 AM
Smart Playlists are only updated when you sync with iTunes. Didn't always used to be that way. :(

B

Ahh, thanks. I guess I'm just not patient enough and would have seen this had I just waited until I synced. :rolleyes:

Lacero
Jan 10, 2006, 08:54 AM
You can delete all the songs in the playlist and iTunes will re-populate the list with new random songs.

Here's to the Crazy Ones http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35452 (http://www.uriah.com/apple-qt/movies/think-different.mov)

jMc
Jan 10, 2006, 10:00 AM
I have a couple of smart playlists that are set up to randomly select songs. My question is: does iTunes re-sample automatically every so often or do I have to go in and do something to make it choose a new random sample?

Thanks.

It's always worth adding another criteria to these sort of smart playlists. Something along the lines of 'Last Played is not in the last 1 day'. This will udpate the playlist by replacing each song played with a new one.

Jx

jallred350
Jan 16, 2006, 11:33 AM
I must have something wrong with this. The smart playlist with randomly selected songs has stayed the same the last 4 times I've synced. Do I need to do something else to make this playlist re-randomize every so often?

jallred350
Jan 20, 2006, 10:58 AM
I must have something wrong with this. The smart playlist with randomly selected songs has stayed the same the last 4 times I've synced. Do I need to do something else to make this playlist re-randomize every so often?

Anyone?

balamw
Jan 20, 2006, 11:52 AM
Anyone?
Is the "Live updating" Box checked? (Under Edit Smart Playlist).

Or, add a new condition in the SPL for last played is not in the last day/week/month/year as previously suggested.

B