PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Pro is a lame name

weldon
Jan 10, 2006, 12:34 PM
just voicing my displeasure ;) I think the name stinks. Even PowerBook XP would have been better. :p

danny_w
Jan 10, 2006, 12:40 PM
And I wonder how long before the 4-5x faster claim is debunked? And 2-3x faster for the iMac? Don't anybody believe it. I'd say 0.5-1.5x faster for iMac, 2-3x faster for MacBook. Intel benchmarks are notoriously offbase.

stonyc
Jan 10, 2006, 12:40 PM
just voicing my displeasure ;) I think the name stinks. Even PowerBook XP would have been better. :pDon't know if it sucks that bad... but I'll miss Powerbook definitely.

No more P-P-P-Powerbook... hello, M-M-MacBook. :p

OutThere
Jan 10, 2006, 12:42 PM
Which would you rather say..."Lemme grab my MacBook" or "lemme grab my Powerbook" :rolleyes:

shadowmoses
Jan 10, 2006, 12:58 PM
I too think the faster claims are overblown especially on the iMac, anyway i think macbook is quite a cool name,

SHadow

BTW does anyone know how you can stream the keynote off the quicktime section of the apple site??

mikeyredk
Jan 10, 2006, 12:59 PM
where is the firewire 800 port! its gone

Lacero
Jan 10, 2006, 01:00 PM
You'll warm up to the new name. :D As you surf the net in blazing speed.

Here's to the Crazy Ones http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35452 (http://www.uriah.com/apple-qt/movies/think-different.mov)

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jan 10, 2006, 01:00 PM
I like the name. :)

Cannot wait to see a 12" ordinary MacBook. ;)

Nickygoat
Jan 10, 2006, 01:05 PM
And it leaves it open for the new iBook to be simply called MacBook (without the Pro). Which makes it nice and simple :rolleyes:

GimmeSlack12
Jan 10, 2006, 01:07 PM
I'd imagine the new name has to do with getting people not familiar with Macs to understand immediately what a Mac Laptop is. I like Powerbook better too, but I'm sure MacBook Pro is a bit more self-explanatory to the non-Mac user.

annk
Jan 10, 2006, 01:10 PM
I like the name. :)

Cannot wait to see a 12" ordinary MacBook. ;)

Ditto for 17" :D

dops7107
Jan 10, 2006, 01:11 PM

:eek: That's pretty unforgiveable. A downgrade? At $2500?? :(

Cooknn
Jan 10, 2006, 01:13 PM
...I like Powerbook better too, but I'm sure MacBook Pro is a bit more self-explanatory to the non-Mac user.Good point ;)

MacRumorUser
Jan 10, 2006, 01:14 PM
Damnit Janet!!!

Apple just shipped my replacement PB!! I rang them and they said when it arrives, simply call them up and they'll give me anoth RMA number...

Oh well; I've got my macBookPro on order now :)

Looks like they've sorted out the screen, notice that it's 1440x900 and not the strange 960 res of the G4 1.67

devman
Jan 10, 2006, 01:17 PM
The name's cool - you'll get over it. And we are done with power aren't we? The powerbook name may have predated the powerpc but they became synonomous and power is just too strong a tie to a brand (powerpc) we no longer want to promote.

devman
Jan 10, 2006, 01:20 PM
:eek: That's pretty unforgiveable. A downgrade? At $2500?? :(

cool, keep your FW800 and go downgrade the graphics card, FSB and CPU with the PB G4...

alec
Jan 10, 2006, 01:25 PM
we got new laptops. thats all that matters. they could call it the nazi sympathizer swastika computer and id still buy it

mkrishnan
Jan 10, 2006, 01:31 PM
And I wonder how long before the 4-5x faster claim is debunked? And 2-3x faster for the iMac? Don't anybody believe it. I'd say 0.5-1.5x faster for iMac, 2-3x faster for MacBook. Intel benchmarks are notoriously offbase.

What do you mean for something to be 0.5x faster than something else? :eek: :rolleyes: Do you really think the single core iMac G5 is twice as fast as the dual core iMac Core Duo? Otherwise, if you mean 0.5x = 50% faster, then your numbers are basically the same as theirs, because everyone else says 1.5x as fast when they mean that (not 0.5x as fast). ;)

M-theory
Jan 10, 2006, 01:32 PM
we got new laptops. thats all that matters. they could call it the nazi sympathizer swastika computer and id still buy it

roflmao...:D

mashinhead
Jan 10, 2006, 01:34 PM
is it worth paying the extra money for the 1.83 ghz model? And also didn't the previous powerbooks have 8x superdrives, why only 4x here? And no FW800? like the magnetic Power cord feature a lot though

20rogersc
Jan 10, 2006, 01:36 PM
Definately prefer PowerBook, MacBook Pro just doesn't have the same ring.

::20ROGERSC::

HiRez
Jan 10, 2006, 02:20 PM
Looks like they've sorted out the screen, notice that it's 1440x900 and not the strange 960 res of the G4 1.67How is it strange? I think 900 is actually a stranger res. than 960 because it's not divisible by 8.

Daedalus256
Jan 10, 2006, 04:18 PM
Don't know if it sucks that bad... but I'll miss Powerbook definitely.

No more P-P-P-Powerbook... hello, M-M-MacBook. :p

You must have stairs in your house :)

As for the name, it sucks. And for people who are saying "Well, it doesn't use a PowerPC anymore!" Did the Pbook 100 use a PPC? I don't think it did.

MacRumorUser
Jan 10, 2006, 04:35 PM
How is it strange? I think 900 is actually a stranger res. than 960 because it's not divisible by 8.

Because apple were the only crowd to use the 960 res.. And alas this is the screen that has been giving people so many problems...

the 900 screen is common and looking at the specs of macbookpro, is even brighter than the existing HiRes PB...

Chances of them now fixing the existing PB display looks slim to none..

Jaffa Cake
Jan 10, 2006, 05:05 PM
I've got to admit I'm a little disappointed with the name it just seems a little clunky and cumbersome. That aside, it's an interesting looking machine.

runninmac
Jan 10, 2006, 05:08 PM
I like the Name... I don't think it sounds clunky, IMO it seems more streamlined. If only I could afford one:p

wasimyaqoob
Jan 10, 2006, 05:09 PM
No need for Apple to goto Intel. Im sure PowerPC could of came up with a G5 chip to go in a Powerbook - Such a bad move by Apple. Anyway im happy with my G4

iEdd
Jan 10, 2006, 05:18 PM
The comment steve made to go with it wasn't good either. "The new name is MacBook, because we're done with power"

sethypoo
Jan 10, 2006, 05:23 PM
At first the name MacBook Pro was weird to me, but I have, in six hours, grown to really like it.

After all, it has the word "Mac" in it. We are through with the Power moniker, so why continue to use it? I am glad they didn't go with IntelBook Pro.

And I agree with Lacero, you'll be learn to love the name as you experience the blazingly fast speed of the MacBook Pro.

sethypoo
Jan 10, 2006, 05:35 PM
Whoops, double post. Sorry!

Marky_Mark
Jan 10, 2006, 05:44 PM
I've got emotionally attached to 'Powerbook' ever since I had a 170 at work. 'MacBook Pro' seems a bit kintergarten, don't you think?

They don't call the Vaio the SonyProSleekbookForWindowsLovers, or the Thinkpad an IBMBlackNoteWithManlyCorners, do they? No - cos everyone knows what Vaios and Thinkpads are.

Powerbook is synonymous with Apple, and was coined by Alan Kay, along with most of the major design cues - it has a special place in laptop history. :mad:

2nyRiggz
Jan 10, 2006, 05:48 PM
well we are all use to saying powerbook but dont worry that will change soon and MacBook will sound much better.....i liked PB...oh well

Bless

Cooknn
Jan 10, 2006, 05:55 PM
At least it doesn't have a lame Intel sticker on it! :D

-Escher-
Jan 10, 2006, 06:01 PM
Well...the name...humpf...

Like EVERY new thing you have to get used to!!!! So you need to repeat and repeat until you don't even remember the former one! So lets repeat 100 times and it will sound great!!!

MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro

Marky_Mark
Jan 10, 2006, 06:05 PM
Yeah, yeah, okay, so you've broken my foul mood. :rolleyes:

Still don't like the name though. :(

PDE
Jan 10, 2006, 06:13 PM
I have to agree that 'macbook' is pretty lame. Surely they could have come up with something more slick?

Daedalus256
Jan 10, 2006, 06:18 PM
honestly, "Powerbook Duo" sounds pretty sweet. I don't see why they didn't use that.

xyian
Jan 10, 2006, 06:26 PM
1. The new name is strange but I'm not going to commit to it being lame. Different?: Yes Lame: No. The fact that they didn't change the design? Lame.
I would have thought they would come in with a different looking product.

2. Dual core processors aren't all they're cracked up to be. I use one(AMD) at work and though it's faster for some things, it's not the best in the world. I'm sure the quad core is something else but a dual core single processor isn't the best thing. What's funny is they paid $3600 for this computer. If I wasn't in GIS I could have a pretty nice Mac, no?

primalman
Jan 10, 2006, 06:33 PM
honestly, "Powerbook Duo" sounds pretty sweet. I don't see why they didn't use that.

Because PowerBook Duo was a shipping product about 13 years ago:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_duo/stats/mac_powerbook_duo210.html

There were actually seven models. And only one had a PowerPC chip.

QCassidy352
Jan 10, 2006, 06:38 PM
yeah, i don't like it either, but a new name is a small price to pay for the upgrade.

iMacZealot
Jan 10, 2006, 06:43 PM

The PowerBook Duo was a prototype. Somebody on this forum has one and posted about it a long time ago. it was basically a palmtop mac.

anyways, I am dissapointed as well. "MacBook" has too many "K" sounds that slows it down and doesn't give it the ring PowerBook had.

also, I expected a new design, too! Steve himself said in June that they will have to redesign all the computers. What do they do? Put magnets in with a camera and an intel and call it a completely different mac!

However, many times I will see things online and they will look different in person. When the second generation iPod Minis came, from my computer, it they looked completely the same, only no orange one. When i walked into the apple store, it looked really different! I also absolutely hated the looks of the iMac G5 when it came out, but I finally saw it and realized it wasn't some horrid machine. I guess we'll see when they ship in February...

gravityplan
Jan 10, 2006, 06:51 PM
Powerbook sounded sleek and powerful. MacBook sounds like something you get with fries and a coke.

maya
Jan 10, 2006, 06:55 PM
Everyone here first complained what kind of name is:

iPod Photo
iPod Shuffle
iPod Nano
iPod Video
Mac Mini

Knowing you peeps, I say you will forget all about the name in due time as you have ben accustomed to hearing PowerBook for such a long time.

Apple is trying to change its image from old to new, and create a connection with the Apple Macintosh. Rather than Power this G something or the other. ;) :)

maya
Jan 10, 2006, 06:56 PM
Powerbook sounded sleek and powerful. MacBook sounds like something you get with fries and a coke.

Well they also had the "Big Mac" server cluster of G5 Xserve. Want a shake with that? ;)

Laser47
Jan 10, 2006, 06:58 PM
I dont really like the MacBook name. It just doesnt have the coolness compared to a powerbook. Honestly, what would sound cooler I have a macbook or a POWERbook?
But steve said that he wants the word mac in all the mac products so that means ibook is probably gonna get changed aswell.
Im also upset that they got rid of the G naming system. Would it be that hard to call it a G6?
Also seeing as how the powerbo.. Excuse me Macbook did not get any major redesigns it makes me wonder, Is apple ever gonna change the way their notebooks look?

primalman
Jan 10, 2006, 06:58 PM
The PowerBook Duo was a prototype. Somebody on this forum has one and posted about it a long time ago. it was basically a palmtop mac.

WTF you talking about?

The PB Duo series were full-flung PowerBooks that had an optional dock to make it a "desktop" Mac as well. See old Seinfeld episodes for a visual. There were seven models and none were even close to being a "Palmtop Mac".

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_duo/stats/mac_powerbook_duo210.html
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_duo/stats/mac_powerbook_duo230.html
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_duo/stats/mac_powerbook_duo250.html
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_duo/stats/mac_powerbook_duo270c.html
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_duo/stats/mac_powerbook_duo280.html
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_duo/stats/mac_powerbook_duo280c.html
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_duo/stats/mac_powerbook_duo2300c_100.html

Laser47
Jan 10, 2006, 06:59 PM
Lol so does Mac Mini.

Loge
Jan 10, 2006, 06:59 PM
I'm not over keen on the name either, but you have to admit it's better than Vingle. :(

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jan 10, 2006, 07:00 PM
Everyone here first complained what kind of name is:

iPod VideoThere is no iPod video, it's just iPod, right...? ;)

maya
Jan 10, 2006, 07:04 PM
There is no iPod video, it's just iPod, right...? ;)

Unofficially, Yes. ;)

Consumers have the power. :D

Krickett
Jan 10, 2006, 07:20 PM
Today is truly a sad day for avid PowerBook users. I was expecting a "PowerBook G5" and was shocked when i saw MacBook Pro, WTF is this? Are the new MacBook Pro's even 64 bit?

It will always be PowerBook to me.

maya
Jan 10, 2006, 07:23 PM
Today is truly a sad day for avid PowerBook users. I was expecting a "PowerBook G5" and was shocked when i saw MacBook Pro, WTF is this? Are the new MacBook Pro's even 64 bit?

Who cares about 64 bit, when you have a dual core. ;)

jrbsman
Jan 10, 2006, 07:27 PM
I like the Name... I don't think it sounds clunky, IMO it seems more streamlined. If only I could afford one:p

MacBook
MacBook Pro

Mac Mini
iMac
Mac Pro

Nice and easy... everything has its place.

Krickett
Jan 10, 2006, 07:28 PM
WTV, i'm assuming the answer is no. The name still bugs me.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jan 10, 2006, 07:28 PM

It will always be PowerBook to me.Do you need more than 4GB RAM in your laptop...? Or perform some very fast multiplication or division on longs...? :confused:

Get a workstation! :rolleyes:

Laser47
Jan 10, 2006, 07:36 PM
MacBook
MacBook Pro

Mac Mini
iMac
Mac Pro

I think apple will keep the Powermac name, Steves justification for changing the powerbook to Macbook Pro was that he said that he wants the name "Mac" in all of his computers. The powermac already has the word mac in it, but I could be wrong. After seeing what we saw today I guess no one will really know.

maya
Jan 10, 2006, 07:40 PM
I think apple will keep the Powermac name, Steves justification for changing the powerbook to Macbook Pro was that he said that he wants the name "Mac" in all of his computers. The powermac already has the word mac in it, but I could be wrong. After seeing what we saw today I guess no one will really know.

How about calling the PowerMac, MacPower? ;) :)

fawlty
Jan 10, 2006, 07:41 PM
MacBook?

Aaaaaaagggh! Hot potato, orchestra stalls, puck will make amends!

Krickett
Jan 10, 2006, 07:43 PM
Hey maya, keep that on the DL, wouldn't wanna give Steve any more ideas would we? ;)

virus1
Jan 10, 2006, 07:44 PM
:eek: That's pretty unforgiveable. A downgrade? At $2500?? :(thats no downgrade.

thats called survival of the fittest. nobody used fw800. sometimes for external drives, but they are somewhat rare, and the fw400 versions are just as good.

virus1
Jan 10, 2006, 07:47 PM
i hate all apple names. except aperature and final cut pro. the rest just have to live without my approval for a month or two till i get used to them.

EGT
Jan 10, 2006, 07:55 PM
My god. Macrumors has been overcome with whiners :p

The name is fine. :rolleyes:

i4k20c
Jan 10, 2006, 08:07 PM
MacBook just sounds kinda cheap, idk when i hear the words Apple Powerbook, makes an impressive statement, just seems like something cool and professional like.. if i herd someone say, i just got the apple macbook PRO, id be like no dude, mcdonald doesn't sell big mac's for 2 for 2 anymore. :o

Daedalus256
Jan 10, 2006, 08:10 PM

Where have you been for the past like...6 months? Apple is phasing out the PPC.

MacTruck
Jan 10, 2006, 08:11 PM
MacBook just sounds kinda cheap, idk when i hear the words Apple Powerbook, makes an impressive statement, just seems like something cool and professional like.. if i herd someone say, i just got the apple macbook PRO, id be like no dude, mcdonald doesn't sell big mac's for 2 for 2 anymore. :o

LOL! Yep. MacBook Pro is Lame, that's for sure. At least they didn't call it a coolbook or neatbook. :p

Superdrive
Jan 10, 2006, 08:12 PM
I like the name, personally. I think it sounds retro like MacPaint and MacDraw, but has the looks of Power, so you don't have to say it.

To those complaining of no design change, what would you do? Personally, I wish they would dump the pop can and go to something just a little more dent, warp, and bend proof.

MacTruck
Jan 10, 2006, 08:15 PM
I like the name, personally. I think it sounds retro like MacPaint and MacDraw, but has the looks of Power, so you don't have to say it.

To those complaining of no design change, what would you do? Personally, I wish they would dump the pop can and go to something just a little more dent, warp, and bend proof.

Yeah. I agree on the design. Need something a little more stable. I feel I have to carry mac products round on a velvet pillow or they will go to hell quick. My powerbook has no dents but thats because I carry it around very carefully. Now my thinkpad I treat like a fat chick on new years morning after I have sobered up and it looks as good as the day I got it. Very solid notebooks the thinkpads they are.

Laser47
Jan 10, 2006, 08:19 PM
omg This thread is making me hungry. mmmmmmm BigMac.

Krickett
Jan 10, 2006, 08:19 PM
I've known that they were making the switch to Intel for some time know, but that doesn't neceserily mean that they would drop the name. Regardless of what processor they are using, the G5 would have looked bitchin right under the screen if you ask me:) Now we gotta settle for "Pro." WTV though, i'm finished with my venting, i'm sure Apple has made the right decision, they usually do we just don't realize it for a while, but then again there are always exceptions. I hope this won't be one of them

BENJMNS
Jan 10, 2006, 08:20 PM
who cares

the name is easy to understand.

you guys are fanatics. wow.

Krickett
Jan 10, 2006, 08:21 PM
Most Mac users are! That's what makes us special :D

kretzy
Jan 10, 2006, 08:24 PM
I hated it when I first heard it. But now that I've read about it for the last 5 hours ( :eek: ), it's really starting to grow on me.

CoMpX
Jan 10, 2006, 08:24 PM
I like the name. In the keynote, Jobs says that he chose this name because he wanted "Mac" to be in the name. I think they put the "Pro" at the end because it is signifying the professional end of the product line. Just like the PowerBook and the iBook. When the iBook is replaced, I think it will be called the MacBook ______ to reflect the consumer end of the product line. Just my 2 cents.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jan 10, 2006, 08:26 PM
MacBook?

Aaaaaaagggh! Hot potato, orchestra stalls, puck will make amends!You want us to call it the Scottish laptop...?

;)

~Shard~
Jan 10, 2006, 08:26 PM
At the end of the day I guess I don't mind MacBook, but I think Apple could have come up with something as bit better. If I had to choose, I'd still take "PowerBook" over "MacBook".

However, one other thing to consider is that now that Apple is migrating away from the PowerPC, perhaps they don't want to use the word "Power" any more in any of their future Intel machines.

MacTruck
Jan 10, 2006, 08:27 PM
omg This thread is making me hungry. mmmmmmm BigMac.

LOL! I just actually had a big mac an hour ago. I'm satisfied. mmmm.

Daedalus256
Jan 10, 2006, 08:28 PM
This was posted elsewhere on a different forum but here are predictions...

MacBook Pro (Powerbook, duh)
MacBook (iBook, another duh)
Mac Mini
iMac Duo
Mac Pro (PowerMac line)

iEdd
Jan 10, 2006, 08:28 PM
It least it's not a McBook. Though that would be better than a MacNugget ;)

ArkabaS
Jan 10, 2006, 08:31 PM
How about calling the PowerMac, MacPower? ;) :)

Very nice. MacPower would be an absolutely awesome name. But isn't it likely that iBook will stay iBook to maintain the whole consumer (i) vs. power (power, pro) four quadrant system? Since Apple apparently kept iMac, it would make sense to keep iBook.

So, iMac, iBook, MacBook, and... MacPower, MacPC, Mac Pro, or something else

mikemodena
Jan 10, 2006, 08:32 PM
But steve said that he wants the word mac in all the mac products so that means ibook is probably gonna get changed aswell.

My guess is it will be called the MacBook

California
Jan 10, 2006, 08:37 PM
I don't like the name either.

It's icky.

So Macbook will be the name of the new iBooks?

Smackbook
Whackbook
Jackbook
Sackbook
Swackbook
Backbook
Tactbook
Factbook

Suckbook.

Jackbook is my favorite. Sounds sort of like Jackboot.

Powerbook is just a great name. How come they couldn't just have it be a new Albook -- nicknamed a Telbook? like the Tibook?

Bet we will end up calling it a

Tel'book
or how about this?

Hellbook.

I'm just playing around with names. I love Apple. How about Applebook? Yeah, Macbook and Applebook? Both are cheesy but whatever, Apple still is great.

MacTruck
Jan 10, 2006, 08:41 PM
Any one of these names would have been better:

- SuperPowerBook
- SuperBook
- Powerbook Nitrous
- Coolbook
- Swellbook
- Neatbook
- Doublebook
- Phatbook
- Powerbook 4-5x
- Apple Notebook
- ProBook
- Speedbook
- Fastbook
- Not so hot anymore book
- Worse battery life book
- DentBook
- intelibook
- RastaBook
- Smartbook
- BetaBook (my favorite)

-Escher-
Jan 10, 2006, 08:44 PM
My
Awesome
Computer
Better
Outstanding
Overawe
Keel

law guy
Jan 10, 2006, 09:01 PM
Seemed like a name chosen at 7:00 in a meeting that was supposed to end at 5:00. My internal monolouge had the name "PowerBook Pro" being suggested in protest.

LACOSTE
Jan 10, 2006, 09:02 PM
Names for the laptop lineups

1. they scrap the 12" and leave it at consumer level... and still call it the iBook... possibly the 13.1" iBook as previously rumoured

2. 15.4" MacBook Pro, fair'dinkum name... but MacBook would have been fine i think.

3. 17" should have a different name... MacBook Elite or something rather

4. introduce a tabletmac... Macpad, iTablet, Appletablet

maya
Jan 10, 2006, 09:07 PM
- BetaBook (my favorite)

Ssssh, keep the internal name quite already. ;) :D

Stike
Jan 10, 2006, 09:10 PM
Well, since Steve doesnt like the "Power" in Powerbook anymore, it looks like we will be facing something else:

Say hello to the "Mac Pro"... :-D

pyrex
Jan 10, 2006, 09:10 PM
macbook pro is an alright name, i am pissed off there is no firewire 800, and also no dual layer burner anymore. I am confused also if this graphics chip is integrated or dedicated, because i hate integrated graphics cards.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jan 10, 2006, 09:13 PM
macbook pro is an alright name, i am pissed off there is no firewire 800, and also no dual layer burner anymore. I am confused also if this graphics chip is integrated or dedicated, because i hate integrated graphics cards.Isn't this a card (;)):
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with up to 256MB memory on 16-lane PCI Express from the MacBook Pro page (http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/)

Laser47
Jan 10, 2006, 09:14 PM
They should have included a 16x superdrive. Ifs funny how the ibook has a faster SD than the MacBook "Pro".

law guy
Jan 10, 2006, 09:14 PM
Isn't this a card (;)):
from the MacBook Pro page (http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/)

Never fear Pyrex. http://www.ati.com/products/MobilityRadeonx1600/index.html Quite a card at that! A 256 MB DDR3 card. Thanks ATI.

MacTruck
Jan 10, 2006, 09:16 PM
They should have included a 16x superdrive. Ifs funny how the ibook has a faster SD than the MacBook "Pro".

Yeah, what the hell is that all about.

Meeting at apple: "I think we can unload some of these old superdrives in the new macbook, I mean they have been waiting for a new powerbook since the wheel was invented, they won't give a crap".

Jobs: "DO IT!"

Or OSX for intel is so damn beta it doesn't support faster burning or DL burning. (FLASHBACK TO OSX 10.0)

jamesi
Jan 10, 2006, 09:20 PM
i really hope that once the last of the G4 powerbook are sold they will ditch macbook and either go back to powerbook. macbook pro has got to be the lamest damn name ever. they def need to revise that

JRM PowerPod
Jan 10, 2006, 09:37 PM
People in this forum are whingers....

a) Intel evidently doesnt support FW800.....get over it use the card slot (how often do you use a FW800 drive)

b) I thought that u would realise that it has 4X Superdrive because it is now a smaller machine and probably doesnt have the space for the DL Drive....... Who uses a DL Drive anyway.... the discs are 10X more expensive than normal DVD's

c) Time for change people..... the PowerPC is dead.... Thus no need for the 'Power'Book... It was a cool name, but we will get use to MacBook Pro, its already growing on me.

d)THIS IS THE MACHINE EVERYONE HAS BEEN WAITING FOR!!!!!
Everyweek of new 'PowerBooks' next tuesday..... Here it is people, so new that they have changed the name........ This this thing is going to be huge.

Quit your whinging.....
I'm buying

MacTruck
Jan 10, 2006, 09:38 PM
People in this forum are whingers....

People in this forum CAN'T SPELL! LOL!

JRM PowerPod
Jan 10, 2006, 09:39 PM

Meeting at apple: "I think we can unload some of these old superdrives in the new macbook, I mean they have been waiting for a new powerbook since the wheel was invented, they won't give a crap".

Or OSX for intel is so damn beta it doesn't support faster burning or DL burning. (FLASHBACK TO OSX 10.0)

Sounds reasonable..... Also explains why the iMac's have an 8X Superdrive.....

pyrex
Jan 10, 2006, 09:41 PM
so it is for sure a dedicated card? good, that makes me happier, i hate intel and dedicated cards. apple did one thing right, no intel extreme graphics chips

JRM PowerPod
Jan 10, 2006, 09:41 PM
People in this forum CAN'T SPELL! LOL!

What, who can't spell?

jrbsman
Jan 10, 2006, 09:42 PM
Didn't Steve say in the keynote that iDVD now burns to external burners (not that Pros will use iDVD, they'll use DVD Studio Pro) so there is less of a need for an internal drive... if people really want one they have an external burner.

theBB
Jan 10, 2006, 09:44 PM
How about iBook => MacBook Cheapo ?

In any case, "cheapo" suffix is implied and well understood, once you start adding the "Pro" suffix on the higher end model. At least iBook name has the cool feel to it even if it is the lower priced option. If they convert it into just "MacBook" it won't provide the same excitement.

I agree with one of the previous posts, adding "Pro" suffix to every product is not very creative.

~Shard~
Jan 10, 2006, 09:50 PM

I'm sure Apple could carer less about DL burners and the like anymore since they'll be implementing Blu Ray drives in the very near future. :eek: :p ;) :cool:

portent
Jan 10, 2006, 09:56 PM
Long ago (sometime last decade) they were called Apple Macintosh PowerBooks. And the "Power" didn't have anything to do with PowerPC, since they used the name with Motorola 68000 processors.

"Apple Mac PowerBook" would be the perfect name: consistent, yet meaningful.

~Shard~
Jan 10, 2006, 10:03 PM
Long ago (sometime last decade) they were called Apple Macintosh PowerBooks. And the "Power" didn't have anything to do with PowerPC, since they used the name with Motorola 68000 processors.

Apple used the name "Power" with their 68000 machines? I'm pretty sure you're wrong. The only Macs I know of to use the 68000 processor were the Lisa/Lisa 2/Mac XL, Macintosh 128k, Macintosh 512k, Macintosh 512ke, Macintosh Classic, Macintosh ED, Macintosh Plus, Macintosh Plus ED, Macintosh Portable, Macintosh SE and Macintosh SE FDHD. Did I miss one? :cool:

MacTruck
Jan 10, 2006, 10:05 PM
Apple used the name "Power" with their 68000 machines? I'm pretty sure you're wrong. The only Macs I know of to use the 68000 processor were the Lisa/Lisa 2/Mac XL, Macintosh 128k, Macintosh 512k, Macintosh 512ke, Macintosh Classic, Macintosh ED, Macintosh Plus, Macintosh Plus ED, Macintosh Portable, Macintosh SE and Macintosh SE FDHD. Did I miss one? :cool:

Nope, he is absolutely right.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook/index.html

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jan 10, 2006, 10:08 PM
Apple used the name "Power" with their 68000 machines? I'm pretty sure you're wrong. The only Macs I know of to use the 68000 processor were the Lisa/Lisa 2/Mac XL, Macintosh 128k, Macintosh 512k, Macintosh 512ke, Macintosh Classic, Macintosh ED, Macintosh Plus, Macintosh Plus ED, Macintosh Portable, Macintosh SE and Macintosh SE FDHD. Did I miss one? :cool:No, he's right. The first PowerBook 100 had a Motorola MC68HC000 inside... :)

According to Apple-History (http://apple-history.com/)...

Edit: Beaten again... I need to go to sleep... :o ;)

~Shard~
Jan 10, 2006, 10:14 PM
Nope, he is absolutely right.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook/index.html

Sorry, I thought he was referring to the MC68000 processor, not the HC variant. The HC variant had a 16 MHz CPU and a 16 MHz bus speed, whereas the actual 68000 had only an 8 MHz CPU and bus speed. Sorry for paying attention to detail. :p ;)

Spectrum
Jan 10, 2006, 10:40 PM
It's been said before, but I'd like to join in :D : the name MacBook Pro, sucks. Big Time.

It sounds so naff - like a souped up car with a spoiler (what a fitting word), or something equally naff and s#ite.

My 2p

m-dogg
Jan 10, 2006, 11:29 PM
Don't like it.

PowerBook was such a great brand. Kind of sad to see it go.

Hopefully MacBook will grow on me though.

Trench
Jan 10, 2006, 11:33 PM
So what is Apple going to call the Power Mac?

Mac Desk
Mac Attack
Mac Pro

xy14
Jan 10, 2006, 11:35 PM
How much ya wanna bet the PowerMac will be renamed the ProMac or something horrid?

MacTruck
Jan 10, 2006, 11:39 PM
Powermac and Powerbook ARE the computers. You can't change their names. Should have just called it the powerbook without the G4 and left it at that.

LGRW3919
Jan 10, 2006, 11:43 PM
Powermac and Powerbook ARE the computers. You can't change their names. Should have just called it the powerbook without the G4 and left it at that.

agreed. PowerBook Duo?

MacTruck
Jan 10, 2006, 11:46 PM
agreed. PowerBook Duo?

I'll take it. Thats what everyone is going to call it anyways. Say MacBook in public and see if you don't get beat up. :p

iMacZealot
Jan 10, 2006, 11:47 PM
WTF you talking about?

The PB Duo series were full-flung PowerBooks that had an optional dock to make it a "desktop" Mac as well. See old Seinfeld episodes for a visual. There were seven models and none were even close to being a "Palmtop Mac".

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_duo/stats/mac_powerbook_duo230.html
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_duo/stats/mac_powerbook_duo250.html
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_duo/stats/mac_powerbook_duo270c.html
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_duo/stats/mac_powerbook_duo280.html
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_duo/stats/mac_powerbook_duo280c.html
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_duo/stats/mac_powerbook_duo2300c_100.html

Okay, okay. I forgot all about those. But i do remember another PowerBook Duo being posted on here that was a palmtop mac -- way back in the days of "System 7".

iMacZealot
Jan 10, 2006, 11:55 PM
Very nice. MacPower would be an absolutely awesome name. But isn't it likely that iBook will stay iBook to maintain the whole consumer (i) vs. power (power, pro) four quadrant system? Since Apple apparently kept iMac, it would make sense to keep iBook.

Of course they would keep the iMac name. That's a household name! iBook is too, but not so much. I can see that being the MacBook.

Logically, it would make sense to drop the i in iMac, but it doesn't sound right. 'I bought a mac'?

Now that i've heard the name for a while, too, I think MacBookPro sounds much better than the Mac Dimension Desktop XPS 4200. :rolleyes:

iMacZealot
Jan 11, 2006, 12:00 AM
How much ya wanna bet the PowerMac will be renamed the ProMac or something horrid?

I heard that they were going to call it the ProMac a while ago. It's probably that. I think that sounds alright to me.

agreed. PowerBook Duo?
Sorry! That's been used a few times in the olden days of Apple.

(Sorry for the triple posting. I tried to combine these two!)

Krickett
Jan 11, 2006, 01:09 AM
PowerBook Duo gets my vote

dubbz
Jan 11, 2006, 01:46 AM
You'll warm up to the new name. :D As you surf the net in blazing speed.

Yes, that's awesome. Was thinking of upgrading my internet connection, but I think I'll just get a MacBook instead!

Aldaris
Jan 11, 2006, 03:57 AM
Even though it has "pro" in it it sounds so Amature...
... Maybe if they kinda kept a generation thing going MacBook X1,X2,X3... MacBook i1,i2,i3...

iMac i1... ProMac X...

Anyone else thing MacBook X sounds more professional than MacBook Pro?

oh what about roman numerals too, (MacBook Xi...)

Little Endian
Jan 11, 2006, 04:14 AM
The comment steve made to go with it wasn't good either. "The new name is MacBook, because we're done with power"

I too found that comment disturbing even more disturbing than the Macbook name. Sounds really silly to me. For those who disagree try saying "PowerBook" ten times as fast as possible and then do the same saying "Macbook". Then tell me which sounds sillier plus as someone mentioned before Macbook sounds too fast food like can we say the McBook w/cheese.

MacRumorUser
Jan 11, 2006, 05:09 AM
Guess you guys won't like my prediction..

MacBook (replacement for ibook & pb 12") single core 1.6 or 1.83, 13.1 widescreen, 60/80bg 5400rpm HD

MacBookPro (replacement for pb 15") spec's already out

MacBookExtreme (replacement for pb 17") similar specs as 15 but with 256 x1600 as standard and 120 GB HD as standard....

ortuno2k
Jan 11, 2006, 05:52 AM
I'm welcoming the changes but I'll damn sure miss "PowerBook."
Here...let me grab my new MacBook... I don't know, I guess something new you gotta grow into.;)

Will_reed
Jan 11, 2006, 06:30 AM
The name sucks but it will grow on us. I dont like saying the pro part though would be cool if they called it a macbook duo or a macbook core even I dunno The name powerbook g4 is just so much cooler like powerbook g5 would have been.

blouis79
Jan 11, 2006, 06:39 AM
MacBook
MacBook Pro

Mac Mini
iMac
Mac Pro

Opens the door for a whole raft of product line extensions.

Wishing for:
MacBook Mini
MacBook Lite
MacBook Duo (dual boot for people who need a Wintel box for work)
MacBook HD (1980x1080)
MacPad
MacServer
etc

... helps get rid of the confusing link to screen size in the names for better product positioning.

gekko513
Jan 11, 2006, 06:52 AM
How is it strange? I think 900 is actually a stranger res. than 960 because it's not divisible by 8.
At least 1440x900 is 16:10, 1440x960 is 15:10 or 3:2 of all non standard things. :confused:

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jan 11, 2006, 07:36 AM
MacBook Duo (dual boot for people who need a Wintel box for work)Why...?

Give the Darwine guys a week or two... ;)

Or some other port of Wine...

Krickett
Jan 11, 2006, 09:11 AM
Well it makes sense that Steve is so anxious about putting Mac in all the product names since he was one of the guys that came up with the idea for the Macintosh system back in the days when Woz and everyone else was working on the Apple II. Sounds to me like he finally got his chance to get "Mac" into everything.

"Done with power"? Come on Steve, it's a Mac, they are they epitome of power:D

Project
Jan 11, 2006, 09:42 AM
iBook
MacBook Pro

iMac
Mac Pro

Mac Mini

I think id like this product matrix, rather than just MacBook and MacBook Pro... while its commendable to want Mac in all of the hardware, Apple is synonymous with 'i'.

I could also see the possibility of Apple dividing the Powerbook line into two. MacBook and MacBook Pro. Its too hard to scale the full price variances of laptops these days.. so the iBook will fill the budget student market, MacBook for users who would benefit from the greater performance, and MacBook Pro for those who want the absolute top specced laptops at that particular time.

iBook 13.3", 15.4", single core starting at $999
MacBook 13.3", 15.4", dual core starting at $1,499
MacBook Pro, 15.4", 17", dual core, full range of ports starting at $1,999

cube
Jan 11, 2006, 10:08 AM
MacBook is a crappy name but it pales in comparison to the stupidity of using "Core" as the name of a CPU.

Mal
Jan 11, 2006, 10:11 AM
I don't like the MacBook Pro name that much, but I'm sure it'll grow on me. I also think it's highly unlikely that they'll keep the iBook name, but maybe they won't just have a MacBook in it's place. Apple may want to get away from the i naming eventually, since it's becoming too commonplace, and start a new revolution. They're good at that, and even though I bet it won't happen for another year or so, I think they will do that. Of course, they'll keep the iPod, they can't change that, but it'll serve to differentiate their product lineup if they drop the i in the computers.

Of course, new releases of iLife and iWork don't support that theory, but I wouldn't throw it out just yet.

jW

crap freakboy
Jan 11, 2006, 10:18 AM
Not reading all the posts on such a pointless thread. Its a name. Get over it.
Beats having 20% speed bumps. Doesnt it? Some people are never happy. :)

MacTruck
Jan 11, 2006, 10:26 AM

Well some people choose to complain about computer names, some people choose to complain about people that complain about computer names. Its a discussion forum. Get over it. :eek:

Spectrum
Jan 11, 2006, 10:39 AM
At least 1440x900 is 16:10, 1440x960 is 15:10 or 3:2 of all non standard things. :confused:
Except my digital camera (Nikon D70 = 3008x2000 pixels)

MacBookExtreme (replacement for pb 17") similar specs as 15 but with 256 x1600 as standard and 120 GB HD as standard....
lol! Seriously! Can you imagine how naff it would be to have that written under the screen! In any case, 2560x1600 would be absurd on a 17" screen.

Opens the door for a whole raft of product line extensions.

Wishing for:
MacBook Mini
MacBook Lite
MacBook Duo (dual boot for people who need a Wintel box for work)
MacBook HD (1980x1080)
MacPad
MacServer
etc

Now these actually makes a bit more sense - apart from the misspelling of light ;) - but Pro is still crap.

I'll believe those performance claims when I see some "real world" tests of current applications that we all own. For all that it is maligned, in many real world tests the G4 is a solid chip that keeps apace (Ghz for Ghz) with the G5. I cannot see the Intel being radically faster - and, for now, it also needs to emulate.

crap freakboy
Jan 11, 2006, 10:44 AM
Well some people choose to complain about computer names, some people choose to complain about people that complain about computer names. Its a discussion forum. Get over it. :eek:

Got over it.
:D

Marky_Mark
Jan 11, 2006, 01:16 PM
Okay, okay. I forgot all about those. But i do remember another PowerBook Duo being posted on here that was a palmtop mac -- way back in the days of "System 7".

Why am I the only person who doesn't remember a thing about these palmtops? I owned a PowerBook Duo 210 from it's release, and I'm sure I would've seen or heard of a palmtop knocking about. The only palmtop I remember Apple doing was the Newton, which was around about the same time as the PB Duo 210 and 230 (the first two Duo form-factor laptops, running Sys 7.1.2). I do vaguely remember some green thing for the educational market which looked a bit like the clamshell iBook, or was this by a different manufacturer altogether, or just a concept which was never released? :confused:

devman
Jan 11, 2006, 07:48 PM

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=2045916&postcount=810

iMacZealot
Jan 11, 2006, 08:48 PM
Why am I the only person who doesn't remember a thing about these palmtops? I owned a PowerBook Duo 210 from it's release, and I'm sure I would've seen or heard of a palmtop knocking about. The only palmtop I remember Apple doing was the Newton, which was around about the same time as the PB Duo 210 and 230 (the first two Duo form-factor laptops, running Sys 7.1.2). I do vaguely remember some green thing for the educational market which looked a bit like the clamshell iBook, or was this by a different manufacturer altogether, or just a concept which was never released? :confused:

The PowerBook Duo that's a palmtop mac that I'm referring to was a prototype. It never surfaced these rumor sites because the project was killed very quickly. There were other PowerBook Duos that were realeased, though no palmtops.

Apple did make a green-like palmtop mac several years ago. The colored translucent plastic was very similar to the original iBooks, iMacs, and PowerMac G3s and G4s. This palmtop was called the eMate, but developers nicknamed it the EatMe because it was such a bad palmtop. It was originally only for the education market, but Apple eventually made it for everyone.

http://apple-history.com/?page=gallery&model=emate&performa=off&sort=family&order=ASC

DISCOMUNICATION
Jan 11, 2006, 10:21 PM
MacBook MacMini MacNugget

Yeah, the name is pretty bad. I can't believe someone thought it was actually a good idea. They could have at least had a brainstorm session first. This sounds like the first thing that popped into some ones head. Since a name has got nothing to do with form or function, cough, hockeypuckmouse, they probably aren't going to change it.
On the bright side I am glad they are no longer using the cpu as part of the official name.
On the even bighter side I hope this is the real "Year of HD" and Apple cotinues releasing machines with graphics cards that actually meet the minimum system requirements for their own software.
On the down side I hope this isn't a sign that Apple has run out of ideas in the industrial design department. Where are the case redesigns?

They really want to put Mac in the title of every machine? The iBook is the perfect companion name for the iMac.

Marky_Mark
Jan 12, 2006, 08:51 AM
The PowerBook Duo that's a palmtop mac that I'm referring to was a prototype. It never surfaced these rumor sites because the project was killed very quickly. There were other PowerBook Duos that were realeased, though no palmtops.

Apple did make a green-like palmtop mac several years ago. The colored translucent plastic was very similar to the original iBooks, iMacs, and PowerMac G3s and G4s. This palmtop was called the eMate, but developers nicknamed it the EatMe because it was such a bad palmtop. It was originally only for the education market, but Apple eventually made it for everyone.

Thanks for clearing that up - glad I was there or thereabouts :)

Krickett
Jan 12, 2006, 09:33 AM
I'd like to see the Newton come back, or Apple's "Mac version" of it. That would be awesome. I'd love an os x handheld or tablet :)

Stike
Jan 12, 2006, 08:36 PM
According to Steve of (Super Secret Apple Rumors) there is something in the making with 10"... ;)

Meyvn
Jan 12, 2006, 10:06 PM
How is it strange? I think 900 is actually a stranger res. than 960 because it's not divisible by 8. The 900 is a popular standard. The 960 is not. You can't even buy a single other monitor I know of that has 1440x960 resolution.

titangears
Jan 12, 2006, 10:40 PM
just voicing my displeasure ;) I think the name stinks. Even PowerBook XP would have been better. :p

Um.. I'd like a McDrink & McFries while I work on my McBook.

Yup. The name sounds cheap.

msharp
Jan 13, 2006, 02:59 AM

yep, both the fw800 and PCMIA card slot are missing.

I'd say that's not good.... removing the PCMIA card slot will definitely keep lots of people outside of the door...

What is "miniCard" on the MacBook pro? never heard of it before...

capone2
Jan 14, 2006, 12:39 AM
.....ProBook or XBook ? much better !! right ? but im sure we will learn very soon why the name !!

Does this mean PowerMac will be MacPro!! or ProMac?

PB 15" 1.67ghz 1GBRam

~Shard~
Jan 14, 2006, 07:49 AM
Does this mean PowerMac will be MacPro!! or ProMac?

Well, in the PowerBooks Apple replaced "Power" with "Mac". Therefore the new PowerMacs will be called "MacMacs". :p :cool:

amin
Jan 15, 2006, 07:11 PM
Hate to revise a tired old thread, but I just got back from a week in Antigua, where I didn't touch a television or the internet. Therefore all of this is brand new to me. Anyway, the Macbook Pros are very much welcome news to me. The only downside is the stupid name. It's hard for me to believe they couldn't come up with something better. iMac, Powerbook, and even Mac mini were all much better. Oh well, the name's not such a big deal. It's not as if it written on the case.

~Shard~
Jan 15, 2006, 07:16 PM
Hate to revise a tired old thread, but I just got back from a week in Antigua, where I didn't touch a television or the internet. Therefore all of this is brand new to me. Anyway, the Macbook Pros are very much welcome news to me. The only downside is the stupid name. It's hard for me to believe they couldn't come up with something better. iMac, Powerbook, and even Mac mini were all much better. Oh well, the name's not such a big deal. It's not as if it written on the case.

Well, like Jobs himself said, they want to get away from "Power" (whether this is just an arbitrary decision or something to do with the phase out of the PowerPC is anyone's guess), and want the word "Mac" in their Mac products (makes sense), so the name change is fairly justified and not too extreme IMO. As with anything else, it will just take some time to get used to, that's all. ;) :)

azzurri000
Jan 15, 2006, 08:36 PM
Well...the name...humpf...

Like EVERY new thing you have to get used to!!!! So you need to repeat and repeat until you don't even remember the former one! So lets repeat 100 times and it will sound great!!!

MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro MacBook Pro

didn't work for me. still hate it. what a clunky name.

Boelman
Jan 15, 2006, 09:27 PM
name does kinda suck? Suggestions?

MacTruck
Jan 15, 2006, 11:12 PM
name does kinda suck? Suggestions?

MacTruck Pro. :D

p0intblank
Jan 15, 2006, 11:16 PM
I'm already becoming used to the name 'MacBook Pro.' I actually like it now. :)

MacsomJRR
Jan 16, 2006, 01:14 AM
At least it's better than "intelbook" or even
"i-Runaroundandusemycomputerwhereeverthef***iwant"

Macbook Pro is cool.

Epicurus
Jan 16, 2006, 02:00 AM
I'm already becoming used to the name 'MacBook Pro.' I actually like it now. :)

It hasn't even been a week! I don't anticipate that I'll be used to it for some time. Even when speaking about the MacBook in casual conversation I'll accidentally call it the "new PowerBook" 5-6 times in a row.

Its like if Apple decided that the "Mac" brand took too much focus away from the "Apple" brand and renamed everything the "AppleBook" and the "iApple". History and tradition should not be discarded so lightly, even if it is just a brand name.

By the way, I still have a 33MHz PowerBook 180c that I turn on occasionally as well as a 1.25GHz PowerBook G4 (aluminum) that I turn off occasionally.:D

jacobj
Jan 16, 2006, 02:29 AM
MacBook Pro.. I keep running around the street, grabbing people by the shoulders and telling them that I have ordered one. I am not too upset by the name change, but judging by the look of shock and disbelief on these people's faces, they are appalled by it.

As for the speed claims, well Apple is almost obliged to select the benchmarks that show it in the best light. They are hardly going to grab a test that is almost entirely dependent on clock speed and which does not support a dual processor and say, well here you are, it is 1.09x faster - made that stat up. I have no proof that the number is correct so please do NOT cancel your order, panic, cry, jump off a tall building or run around like a headless chicken in fear.

As has been said a thousand times before in this forum (made that up too), the performance increases will depend on the process you are running. The point is that the G4 is a dead duck that Apple should have buried 2 years ago and they would have had they had the ability to do so.

Now back to the name: MacBook Pro. See it is little shiny letters at the bottom of YOUR screen sitting next to your FRIEND'S PowerBook G4 and tell me that the name doesn't just make you smile.

Edit: I didn't order it to better my friends. I don't have any. ;)

AVR2
Jan 16, 2006, 04:15 AM
yep, both the fw800 and PCMIA card slot are missing.

I'd say that's not good.... removing the PCMIA card slot will definitely keep lots of people outside of the door...

I think people said something similar about the lack of a floppy drive on the original iMac... ;)

As for the lack of standard FW800, that only seems to make sense. I would imagine that only a tiny subset of PowerBook owners ever use it, and if they want it on the MacBook Pro they can still have it via that new card interface thingy.

jacobj
Jan 16, 2006, 04:32 AM
I think people said something similar about the lack of a floppy drive on the original iMac... ;)

As for the lack of standard FW800, that only seems to make sense. I would imagine that only a tiny subset of PowerBook owners ever use it, and if they want it on the MacBook Pro they can still have it via that new card interface thingy.

I've had FW800 for 3 years (nearly) and I have never ever used it. Not even once. I thought about getting one of the LaCie drives, but I never got around to it as I was buying something because I could and not because I had a need for it.

Anyway.. this has been debated so many times already. The truth is that people want every legacy piece of functionality hardware and all the new stuff. In truth, unless we want Dell XPS size machines that compress the spine, then we can't have it all.

Deepdale
Jan 16, 2006, 04:35 AM
And it leaves it open for the new iBook to be simply called MacBook (without the Pro). Which makes it nice and simple.

So long as the differentiation between the two lines does not result in the new iBook being called iBook Am (for amateur).

Deepdale
Jan 16, 2006, 04:47 AM
i really hope that once the last of the G4 powerbook are sold they will ditch macbook and either go back to powerbook.

Would any of these have been more pleasing?

PowerBook Pro ... PowerPook P ... PowerBook +

jacobj
Jan 16, 2006, 05:14 AM
Would any of these have been more pleasing?

PowerBook Pro ... PowerPook P ... PowerBook +

How about PowerPowerBook or PowerBookMacPro or ILoveTheNamePowerBookSoMuchThatWhenAppleDitchedItINearlyDitchedApple (obviously this'll have to be abbreviated on the 12" version).

I love the fact that Apple users want to be on the cutting edge of technology and yet they complain bitterly at a name change. I wouldn't care if if was a XCV1246-SHJFF13234/EFFD1234v4 except for the fact that it would be hard to refer to in forums... MBP is fine by me..

Deepdale
Jan 16, 2006, 05:25 AM
I love the fact that Apple users want to be on the cutting edge of technology and yet they complain bitterly at a name change.

Changes in product names - especially ones that have become popular and made that important connection with the public - can be met with a fairly good deal of resistance. True, we aren't likely to alter the MacBook Pro name, but I sympathize with those who vociferously object.

jacobj
Jan 16, 2006, 05:47 AM
Changes in product names - especially ones that have become popular and made that important connection with the public - can be met with a fairly good deal of resistance. True, we aren't likely to alter the MacBook Pro name, but I sympathize with those who vociferously object.

I don't get the attachment to a name... Sorry, I just don't see it.. as long as the name isnt 'ThePinkFluffyFastOne' I don't care.

Deepdale
Jan 16, 2006, 06:12 AM
I don't get the attachment to a name... Sorry, I just don't see it.. as long as the name isnt 'ThePinkFluffyFastOne' I don't care.

Certainly a valid opinion ... wonder what the reaction would be to future iPods being changed to Personal Music Holders.

jacobj
Jan 16, 2006, 06:27 AM
Certainly a valid opinion ... wonder what the reaction would be to future iPods being changed to Personal Music Holders.

That would be madness and I would boycott ALL apple products. ;)

weldon
Jan 16, 2006, 09:05 AM
Oh, and one more thing...

the new "MacPod Pro w/ FM" to replace the iPod with Video and the FM remote. Now that would be horrid.

I still don't like MacBook Pro very much and I think I've figured out why. The name doesn't bother me as much as I just don't think it sounds very elegant. MacBook Pro sounds clunky because (to my ear) the derivation sounds backwards. With PowerBook, the name was derived from notebook and power was added as a descriptive term to tell you what kind of notebook you were getting. Over time, the naming convention was to use the prefix to define the product (eg. PowerBook, PowerMac, iBook, iMac, Xserve, etc.).

With MacBook, the name is derived from Mac and Book is glommed on to the end to tell you what kind of Mac you are getting. Now the suffix is definitive. To be consistent with the new scheme, the names for products should use the suffix to describe the product line. MacPro, MacMini, MacDesk, MacTower, MacServer, MacPod, and so on. But we still have iMac.

I'm used to the old method of using the prefix and the break feels clunky to me. Now that I've got that off my chest, I'm done overanalyzing this tiny little aspect of Apple's product line. I need to get working on saving some money so I can buy one of these things! :)

Lacero
Jan 16, 2006, 09:11 AM
The name sits well with me, now.

MacBook Pro.

Sounds sexy! That is all.Here's to the Crazy Ones http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35452 (http://www.uriah.com/apple-qt/movies/think-different.mov)

~Shard~
Jan 16, 2006, 09:24 AM
The name sits well with me, now.

MacBook Pro.

Sounds sexy! That is all

I agree, it just takes some time to grow on ya... ;) :cool:

amin
Jan 16, 2006, 01:56 PM
I'm sure I'll grow accustomed to the name. It's not as if it matters much to me. For now however, I'm going to just call them "pro books." I think it sounds much better.

sparks9
Jan 16, 2006, 05:21 PM
I really hope they keep the iBook name its great, and everyone know the name!

~Shard~
Jan 16, 2006, 06:11 PM
I really hope they keep the iBook name its great, and everyone know the name!

Probably not everyone in the PC world of potential switchers though... ;)