Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krickett

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2006
Edmonds
Sad Day

Today is truly a sad day for avid PowerBook users. I was expecting a "PowerBook G5" and was shocked when i saw MacBook Pro, WTF is this? Are the new MacBook Pro's even 64 bit?

It will always be PowerBook to me.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Krickett said:
Today is truly a sad day for avid PowerBook users. I was expecting a "PowerBook G5" and was shocked when i saw MacBook Pro, WTF is this? Are the new MacBook Pro's even 64 bit?

Who cares about 64 bit, when you have a dual core. ;)

jrbsman

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2005
But now names are easy

runninmac said:
I like the Name... I don't think it sounds clunky, IMO it seems more streamlined. If only I could afford one:p

MacBook
MacBook Pro

Mac Mini
iMac
Mac Pro

Nice and easy... everything has its place.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Krickett said:

Do you need more than 4GB RAM in your laptop...? Or perform some very fast multiplication or division on longs...? :confused:

Get a workstation! :rolleyes:

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
jrbsman said:
MacBook
MacBook Pro

Mac Mini
iMac
Mac Pro

Nice and easy... everything has its place.
I think apple will keep the Powermac name, Steves justification for changing the powerbook to Macbook Pro was that he said that he wants the name "Mac" in all of his computers. The powermac already has the word mac in it, but I could be wrong. After seeing what we saw today I guess no one will really know.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Laser47 said:
I think apple will keep the Powermac name, Steves justification for changing the powerbook to Macbook Pro was that he said that he wants the name "Mac" in all of his computers. The powermac already has the word mac in it, but I could be wrong. After seeing what we saw today I guess no one will really know.

How about calling the PowerMac, MacPower? ;) :)

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
dops7107 said:
:eek: That's pretty unforgiveable. A downgrade? At $2500?? :(
thats no downgrade.

thats called survival of the fittest. nobody used fw800. sometimes for external drives, but they are somewhat rare, and the fw400 versions are just as good.

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
i hate all apple names. except aperature and final cut pro. the rest just have to live without my approval for a month or two till i get used to them.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
My god. Macrumors has been overcome with whiners :p

The name is fine. :rolleyes:

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2005
MacBook just sounds kinda cheap, idk when i hear the words Apple Powerbook, makes an impressive statement, just seems like something cool and professional like.. if i herd someone say, i just got the apple macbook PRO, id be like no dude, mcdonald doesn't sell big mac's for 2 for 2 anymore. :eek:

Daedalus256

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Krickett said:

Where have you been for the past like...6 months? Apple is phasing out the PPC.

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
i4k20c said:
MacBook just sounds kinda cheap, idk when i hear the words Apple Powerbook, makes an impressive statement, just seems like something cool and professional like.. if i herd someone say, i just got the apple macbook PRO, id be like no dude, mcdonald doesn't sell big mac's for 2 for 2 anymore. :eek:

LOL! Yep. MacBook Pro is Lame, that's for sure. At least they didn't call it a coolbook or neatbook. :p

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
I like the name, personally. I think it sounds retro like MacPaint and MacDraw, but has the looks of Power, so you don't have to say it.

To those complaining of no design change, what would you do? Personally, I wish they would dump the pop can and go to something just a little more dent, warp, and bend proof.

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
Superdrive said:
I like the name, personally. I think it sounds retro like MacPaint and MacDraw, but has the looks of Power, so you don't have to say it.

To those complaining of no design change, what would you do? Personally, I wish they would dump the pop can and go to something just a little more dent, warp, and bend proof.

Yeah. I agree on the design. Need something a little more stable. I feel I have to carry mac products round on a velvet pillow or they will go to hell quick. My powerbook has no dents but thats because I carry it around very carefully. Now my thinkpad I treat like a fat chick on new years morning after I have sobered up and it looks as good as the day I got it. Very solid notebooks the thinkpads they are.

Krickett

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2006
Edmonds
I've known that they were making the switch to Intel for some time know, but that doesn't neceserily mean that they would drop the name. Regardless of what processor they are using, the G5 would have looked bitchin right under the screen if you ask me:) Now we gotta settle for "Pro." WTV though, i'm finished with my venting, i'm sure Apple has made the right decision, they usually do we just don't realize it for a while, but then again there are always exceptions. I hope this won't be one of them

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
I like the name. In the keynote, Jobs says that he chose this name because he wanted "Mac" to be in the name. I think they put the "Pro" at the end because it is signifying the professional end of the product line. Just like the PowerBook and the iBook. When the iBook is replaced, I think it will be called the MacBook ______ to reflect the consumer end of the product line. Just my 2 cents.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
At the end of the day I guess I don't mind MacBook, but I think Apple could have come up with something as bit better. If I had to choose, I'd still take "PowerBook" over "MacBook".

However, one other thing to consider is that now that Apple is migrating away from the PowerPC, perhaps they don't want to use the word "Power" any more in any of their future Intel machines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.