PDA

View Full Version : my stupid pod cuts songs

dorqiekat
Jan 13, 2006, 01:14 AM
I have a 4gen 20 gig ipod and sometimes it randomly picks a song and decides not to finish it. It just cuts off and ends. Even the countdown of the song it self is shorter than it is supposed to be and is on itunes.

:mad:

jimthorn
Jan 13, 2006, 01:18 AM
The files are probably VBR MP3s created with a different app. I've had that happen to me with a couple of files. If you re-rip it in iTunes, it should fix the problem.

dorqiekat
Jan 13, 2006, 01:20 AM
The files are probably VBR MP3s created with a different app. I've had that happen to me with a couple of files. If you re-rip it in iTunes, it should fix the problem.

thanks, I'm too lazy for this........ it's the worst feeling though, you're listening. And it's over, but not really.

jimthorn
Jan 13, 2006, 01:26 AM
And it's over, but not really.

haha. Well put.

Chappers
Jan 13, 2006, 01:36 AM
I have this problem too with songs bought from the iTunes music store - I've just been to busy to do anything about it.

It is a bit frustrating.

dorqiekat
Jan 13, 2006, 01:44 AM
I have this problem too with songs bought from the iTunes music store - I've just been to busy to do anything about it.

It is a bit frustrating.

and it's not like you only have 10 songs and you can remember for later when you're near a computer without nothing to do. No, you say.. you HOPE that you'll remember the song, and fix it. but what do you do? you're listening to your ipod, and it plays, stops, and plays something else. you go, hey... wtf? stupid ipod... hey this is a good song.

then you remember that it has happened, and don't know what to do. So you go to MR and ask, what the hell is wrong with my pod? and of course, you get answers, opinions, help faqs.

THEN, you reply once or twice on not wanting to do it.

go figure.
:p

bousozoku
Jan 13, 2006, 01:47 AM
I had a similar problem with cutting the music short and skipping while the iPod was sitting in the dock and I was directed to do the following:

I understand that the sound quality of the iPod+HP is staticy and that
the iPod+HP skips. I want you to try restoring the iPod+HP while it is
in disk mode to try to resolve this issue. Follow these steps to put
the iPod+HP into disk mode:

1. Connect the iPod+HP to the power adapter, then slide the Hold
switch on and then off, making sure no orange is showing.

2. Place the iPod+HP face up on a flat surface.

3. Press and hold both the Menu and the Select buttons until the logo
appears. This can take 10-20 seconds.

4. When the Apple logo appears, release the Menu and Select buttons
and immediately press and hold the Select and the Play/Pause buttons
until the disk mode screen appears.

If you are having difficulty and the iPod+HP is not resetting or
changing modes, try pressing the buttons lightly; if the buttons are
pressed to hard, they may cancel the command.

If the iPod+HP stays in disk mode, then attempt to restore the iPod+HP
using your computer. This will delete everything on the iPod+HP and put
it back to factory settings.

1. Run the iPod updater. It should be installed in Start > All
programs > iPod > iPod Updater, then click on iPod updater to start the
program; it should now say "plug in an iPod to update it".

2. Connect the iPod+HP to a back usb 2.0 port on the computer if one
is available. The iPod+HP should now say "do not disconnect"; if it
does not, please reply to this message.

3. When the updater recognizes the iPod+HP, click restore, then
restore again. This process will erase all data from the iPod+HP.

4. Once the restore is complete, follow the instructions on the
updater screen to finish.

Once the restore process is done and the iPod+HP is back to its main
menu, close the iPod updater, open iTunes and reconnect the iPod+HP
using the usb 2.0 port on the back of the computer. After a minute or
two, iTunes will detect the iPod+HP and begin updating the music.

Once you have music on the iPod+HP again, listen to it. If it still
sounds staticy, please try using a different pair of earbuds to rule the
earbuds out as the source of the issue. If when using different earbuds
the iPod+HP still sounds staticy, please reply to this email and we will
go from there.

I hadn't had the problem again. Of course, I was using it with a Macintosh, so I had to adjust for FireWire, etc.

Little Endian
Jan 13, 2006, 07:26 AM
on a much darker note I had the same problem on my 4G 40 Gig ipod a couple of months before the hard drive died. The others have made very good suggestions but there is one characteristic of your problem that does not seem to fit what others have suggested. You stated that your ipod Randomly does this and playback is fine on your computer. That would seem to eliminate the VBR MP3 suspect especially if playback on ipod is random. Does it Randomly select a song that falls short or is it always the same songs that fall short of complete playback on the ipod?

micvog
Jan 13, 2006, 08:40 AM
I have been having the same problem with two different iPods (a 3G 20GB and a Nano). See the thread I started shortly before yours here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=172920).

dorqiekat
Jan 13, 2006, 02:04 PM
on a much darker note I had the same problem on my 4G 40 Gig ipod a couple of months before the hard drive died. The others have made very good suggestions but there is one characteristic of your problem that does not seem to fit what others have suggested. You stated that your ipod Randomly does this and playback is fine on your computer. That would seem to eliminate the VBR MP3 suspect especially if playback on ipod is random. Does it Randomly select a song that falls short or is it always the same songs that fall short of complete playback on the ipod?

same song, but it randomly chooses a different song to do it to each time... I don't think what I said makes sense. let me explain... the first time this has happened, it was to the song "because you loved me." it happened to this song every time, very annoying. One day, it just stopped (I'm guessing after updates or something) so I stopped noticing. Now, it is to "undiscovered" and the same, each time this song would come on, it would cut at the exact same place.

So, when "because you loved me" was cut, "undiscovered" was playing fine... possibly at one time, they both played fine. And now, "because you loved me" has no problems and "undiscovered" is driving me nuts.

is my hard drive dying? I like my stupid ipod. and I don't have applecare, I had to reach really deep into my pocket to get the ipod, and I got it at school w/ the discount. that would be sad, I wouldn't know what I'd do. :(

dorqiekat
Jan 13, 2006, 05:37 PM
Okay, after the 10.4.4 updates "undiscovered" would play without any cuts. And I thought, great, I hope that's all fixed. And now, "Sing for absolution" cuts. Who knows how many more does this? I can't sit here and listen to all of my music to see if it cuts... I don't know what to do, I'm leaving for Paris to study abroad in a week and would need a fully functional ipod.

Does this mean my ipod hd is going south?

should I go visit the apple store?

gtree10
Jan 13, 2006, 06:13 PM
It's happend with my mini. The couple times I noticed it was right after I had it hooked up to my iBook (my mini is pair with my iMac). Both times I noticed it, all I had to do was to connect it to my iMac and the full song downloaded.

bousozoku
Jan 13, 2006, 06:25 PM
Okay, after the 10.4.4 updates "undiscovered" would play without any cuts. And I thought, great, I hope that's all fixed. And now, "Sing for absolution" cuts. Who knows how many more does this? I can't sit here and listen to all of my music to see if it cuts... I don't know what to do, I'm leaving for Paris to study abroad in a week and would need a fully functional ipod.

Does this mean my ipod hd is going south?

should I go visit the apple store?

Did you follow the instructions I quoted?

dorqiekat
Jan 13, 2006, 07:34 PM
Did you follow the instructions I quoted?

yes.

dorqiekat
Jan 15, 2006, 03:37 PM
I figured that it's not worth the risk of letting it be, so I went to the apple store and bought applecare for the ipod. So, whatever the ipod decides to do in the near future, I'll be covered.

a question though, I know for a fact that I bought my ipod at my university's apple store sometime in the late feb or early march 05. I don't have a receipt though. Will this be a problem? I already bought the applecare and registered it.

MacAficionado
Jan 15, 2006, 03:50 PM
I don't have a receipt though. Will this be a problem? I already bought the applecare and registered it.

No

Scottyk9
Jan 15, 2006, 04:38 PM
If you search the apple discussion forums, you will see that this is not an isolated problem, and it seems that there is no fix available.

My 3G does the same thing, but after I notice a song has ended prematurely, I have noted that when the iPod is synced, the songs that ended early are updated, and seem to play normally the next time (although as it has been mentioned, sometimes it is difficult to keep track of the songs).

I wish there was an explanation or a fix, but in the interim it is just an annoyance.

POHeerwig
Jan 16, 2006, 05:50 PM
You know, my iPod mini did the same thing the day it died. Luckily it was still under warranty (incidentally, that was the 2nd time I had to return an iPod & Apple was awesome both times). I was going to suggest that you get applecare 'quick' - but reading further it looks like you did :)