Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deagon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2014
I've been waiting over the past 4 months for a major MacAir refresh before buying ...
With this small refresh that just happened, does it mean that no more will happen this year ?
I got 2k$ burning a hole in my pocket to buy... But scared to pull the trigger if their is any chance of a true refresh soon. ..

mad3inch1na

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
I've been waiting over the past 4 months for a major MacAir refresh before buying ...
With this small refresh that just happened, does it mean that no more will happen this year ?
I got 2k$ burning a hole in my pocket to buy... But scared to pull the trigger if their is any chance of a true refresh soon. ..

Worst case scenario, it can't hurt to wait until WWDC if you are that concerned. I've personally been waiting over a year, but I have a desktop and an iPad to sustain me. Just depends on your needs.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013

Out of interest, what would you like to see in the refresh?

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
No Broadwell based MBA replacement this year.

You're probably right, but it isn't fact unless you work at Apple? Unfortunately the only way I realistically see a really properly new laptop in 2014 is if it is has a next generation ARM processor driving it. Otherwise Apple is at the mercy of Broadwell availability.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Its really dependant on Intel releasing Broadwell and that's been delayed from what I hear.

Deagon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2014
Looking to buy now...but can't decide on which to get ..
11" Air fully loaded
13" Air fully loaded
13" Pro w/2.6 i5 512gb
15" Pro w/iros pro

or should i just go ahead and break the bank and get the 2500$+ 15"

This will be moslty for internet and light gaming (WoW , ESO and low end steam games)
I'll have to keep this laptop at least 3 years...so i need to make the right choice.

mad3inch1na

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
No Broadwell based MBA replacement this year.

While I agree that Apple will probably not update the MBA soon, I think it is highly unlikely that the MBA update will be postponed until 2015. Here is my argument for a 2014 refresh.

The Apple update cycle is based mostly on the Intel refresh cycle. Broadwell will be released Q3 this year, or a quarter behind schedule. Apple will probably have broadwell processors by the start of fall, just because of their tight connection with Intel. Skylake will be released Q2 of 2015 because it is the same die size as Broadwell, allowing for Intel to get back on schedule. I can't imagine a 2015 Broadwell MBA, because Apple will almost certainly have a June, 2015 Skylake MBA release. If they don't update in 2014, Apple will not have a Broadwell MBA, which is unlikely. The most likely event is Apple releasing a new MBA 6 months from now right before the holiday season, lining up their update so it isn't too close to this update, but not too close to the next update. I would hope for it to be earlier, but that is not likely.

Since there hasn't been a major update on one of their flagship computers this year, this recent refresh is most likely just a mid-cycle update because of the broadwell delay. Marketshare typically drops off before expected updates, and since many people know that the MBA has a release date of around June, they would have taken a pretty big hit this year when people stopped buying MBAs before June. They manage to cut losses by releasing an updated version during the slump, and dispell any thoughts of an iminent release in June. This wasn't the 2014 MBA, it was just a minor update to maintain sales during the late-cycle slump. A 2014 Broadwell MBA is way more likely than a 2015 Broadwell MBA. The only other scenario is that Apple throws us for a loop and pops an A-series chip in there this June.

That is just my opinion, based entirely on what has happened in the past. If you have any inside source, or any other supporting evidence, I would love to hear your reason for Broadwell not coming in 2014.

Matt

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
11" Air fully loaded
13" Air fully loaded
13" Pro w/2.6 i5 512gb
15" Pro w/iros pro

This will be moslty for internet and light gaming (WoW , ESO and low end steam games)
I'll have to keep this laptop at least 3 years...so i need to make the right choice.

IMO I'd get the 13" 2.4 with 256 GB or a custom with 512 and 8 GB RAM. Save your money. Use it for something else like AppleCare or a case. Or invest it. Put it in a CD for a rainy day. Just b/c you have 2k doesn't mean you should blow it up on a computer!

mad3inch1na

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
11" Air fully loaded
13" Air fully loaded
13" Pro w/2.6 i5 512gb
15" Pro w/iros pro

Hey Deagon,

It all depends on what you need. If cost is no issue, I would recommend the 13" rMBP over the MBA. You lose out on a few hours of battery life, and it is a little heavier. Other than that, it is a better computer in graphics, CPU, screen quality, and I personally think build quality. If this laptop is not for professional work, there is no reason to get the 2600$ 15" rMBP. It will be able to play most new games ok at medium/low settings. Unless you really need to game on the go, just build your own gaming PC. For about 1400$, you can build a beast of a PC that will have probably 3x the gaming power of the maxed out rMBP. Not that you shouldn't play games on a mac, but you shouldn't spend 2600$ just to play games, as there are much better options out there. If you want a middle ground, you can pick up a 2012 15" rMBP on ebay for 1450$ in excellent condition. It will play games better than the 2013 iris model, and for your uses, it will probably be a better laptop.

Matt

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
11" Air fully loaded
13" Air fully loaded
13" Pro w/2.6 i5 512gb
15" Pro w/iros pro

In that case I'd narrow it down then to it being between the 13" Air fully loaded and the 13" Pro 2.6 i5/512GB.

infernoguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
My guess:

Late 2014 will bring MacBook Air with Retina display using Broadwell CPUs
Early 2015 will phase out the non retina Airs and non retina MBP

Just my 2 cents.....

RightMACatU

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2012
A different point of view: I bought a flawless refurbished Ultimate mid-2013 MBA with under 10 battery cycles last fall for a $350 saving with taxes.

When/if the 12" retina MBA comes out, I will do the same when refurbished are made available.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Loaded 15" without the dGPU for sure!

Performance and nice battery life wrapped in one sweet beast of a machine!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.