Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
WARNING Pro Apps will NOT run on the new Intel Macs. In order to get Pro Apps to run on the new intel macs, you MUST purchase the crossgrade discs. They will not install on Intel Macs...just wanted to let the other pros out there know.

Oryan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Lincoln, NE
From the Apple site:
How do I get the Final Cut Studio upgrade?

After February 1, 2006, visit Apple.com again for complete details on the upgrade program, including an order form. A Universal version of Final Cut Studio is expected to ship by March 31, 2006.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
I realize that Apple is updating them in March, but they WILL NOT even run under Rosetta, in case anyone didn't realize that. and the multiple threads thing wasn't intentional. Just saw that on the Apple site, but I've been reading a lot of people who think it will run....so just a bulletin FYI.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
so, where is this info from? That the pro apps won't even install under Intel machines?

arn

skimaxpower

Jan 13, 2006
APPLE: New Intel Chips are 4x faster!!

USER: Sweet!! Intel Chips are 4x faster!! My render times are only 1/4 as long!!

APPLE: Oh? You want to render??

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
skimaxpower said:
APPLE: New Intel Chips are 4x faster!!

USER: Sweet!! Intel Chips are 4x faster!! My render times are only 1/4 as long!!

APPLE: Oh? You want to render??

That's basically how it went down.

ChrisFromCanada

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2004
Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
arn said:
so, where is this info from? That the pro apps won't even install under Intel machines?

arn

http://www.apple.com/rosetta/

Most existing applications will continue to run, thanks to Rosetta. Pro applications from Apple — including Final Cut Pro, Motion, Soundtrack Pro, DVD Studio Pro, Aperture, Logic Pro, Logic Express, Shake and Final Cut Express — are not supported by Rosetta.

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
The pro apps are more than likely heavily dependent on G5 or G4 and the AltiVec units specifically.

More than likely there are large pieces of the pro apps that require a real G5/G4 proc. to run.

Besides there isn't a pro desktop capable of really running the pro apps anywhere decently yet. And really, would a pro immediately jump on v1.0 of completely new hardware and essentially the OS (since it is new to running "in the wild" on x86 Macs)?

Dark

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2005
New Jersey
The reason why Apple isnt showing urgency with the Pro-Apps is because the new PowerMacs arent expected till the end of the year anyway. Most iMac consumors arent going to be usuing Final Cut Pro.

firewire2001

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2002
Hong Kong
running the pro apps on x86

In Final Cut Pro (and in most applications), if you open the Application's package, there is a file called "Info.plist" under the "Contents" folder. If you open this file up, you will notice a line which reads, among other things, "AELRequiredCPUType" for which the value is "G4" and "AELMinimumCPUSpeedSingle" for which the value is something like "500".

skimaxpower

Jan 13, 2006
Dark said:
The reason why Apple isnt showing urgency with the Pro-Apps is because the new PowerMacs arent expected till the end of the year anyway. Most iMac consumors arent going to be usuing Final Cut Pro.

You make a decent point, but I still think its pretty tacky for Apple to release Intel chips and FCP 6.0 on the same day - and NOT have them work together.

Plus, there's a LOT of mobile filmmakers out there (myself included) who've been rendering on a g4 chip for years. It's pretty lame to suddenly brag about the speed of the new MacBook - about damn time - and then tell us we can't do anything useful with it.

I fell like a donkey with a carrot dangling six inches in front of my mouth.

theknowles

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2006
this is something that has been driving me crazy,
so is there absolutely no way to run fcp 5/6 on the new macbooks? and are apple going to do anything about it because i need a new laptop and was going for a powerbook untill this popped up, but what the hell is the point in having a 4x faster mac when all its going to do is upload peoples myspace pics quicker?:confused:

runplaysleeprun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
Chicago, IL
skimaxpower said:
Plus, there's a LOT of mobile filmmakers out there (myself included) who've been rendering on a g4 chip for years. It's pretty lame to suddenly brag about the speed of the new MacBook - about damn time - and then tell us we can't do anything useful with it.

Apple said:
A Universal version of Final Cut Studio is expected to ship by March 31, 2006.

The new macbooks wont be available for another month, and realistically, probably wont be in enough numbers, so most consumers wont get theirs till mid march. it wont be too hard to wait the few weeks for the versions that will work.

Rocksaurus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
California
firewire2001 said:
I believe that there is a clever little trick that you can use in order to get the pro apps running on Mac OS X.

In Final Cut Pro (and in most applications), if you open the Application's package, there is a file called "Info.plist" under the "Contents" folder. If you open this file up, you will notice a line which reads, among other things, "AELRequiredCPUType" for which the value is "G4" and "AELMinimumCPUSpeedSingle" for which the value is something like "500".

Without a doubt, I am absolutely sure that you could get the Pro Apps to run on the x86 machines by editing this file. I am not sure to what you would change the CPU Value (I would conjecture though that you would want to make the value something like "x86"). I use this trick on my G4 Cube to override the minimum processor speed of 500mhz required by Final Cut Pro (my cube has a 400mhz processor).

If anyone wants any help with this just drop me a PM. I would be delighted to see this working on an x86...

--aryeh

This sounds like a cool trick but I'm about 99% sure that the reason these apps don't run under Rosetta is because they rely on Altivec...

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
Home
I personally believe that if you are a pro user you are already gonna know this...
Even I as a consumer knows this :confused:

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
skimaxpower said:
You make a decent point, but I still think its pretty tacky for Apple to release Intel chips and FCP 6.0 on the same day - and NOT have them work together.

You know why everything did not come out all at once in January?
The answer is simple: Apple only has 5,000 or so emplyees and they
can only be made to work about 60 hours a week. Give them credit.
They are _months_ ahead of schedule. The target date for the first
Intel Mac was June.

Also there is a serious problem with Intel. What Intel CPU could they
use that is four times faster then a quad core G5 Power Mac? They
have to wait untill Intel builds something. They will. Just today
Intel announced they are ending the "Pentium" brand name. I
assume they will announce something else but today we hear
just "no more Pentium" They will use model numbers from now
on. Intel needs to realese an Opteron-like CPU chip before Apple
can replace the Power Mac's G5. It should happen by year end.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
firewire2001 said:

Without a doubt, I am absolutely sure that you could get the Pro Apps to run on the x86 machines by editing this file.
The fact that altivec is unsupported on Rosetta doesn't deter you at all then? Good luck! :rolleyes:

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
It's a transition guys...some things don't work, things released together don't worth together, things are being expected at certain dates...that's how most transitions go. Give it time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.