PDA

View Full Version : F@H...on a fast computer...read this

yzeater
Jan 10, 2003, 06:23 PM
Hey-
I just wanted to let you know that I've joined the folding 3446 effort. I've got a PB500 and a K6-500 running it. We have a special computer at our school that's relatively fast, I'm going to ask if we can run F@H on it...first person to guess what it is gets pride! (We're the only school in America with one, and this is our second)
-Stephen

Wes
Jan 10, 2003, 06:34 PM
**dreams that macrumors will have a cray folding**

Over Achiever
Jan 10, 2003, 07:01 PM
Only dreaming eh?

Wes
Jan 10, 2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Over Achiever
Only dreaming eh?

You happen to have one handy?;)

Yzeater, what is it? the suspense is killing me...:confused:

yzeater
Jan 10, 2003, 09:24 PM
It's an SV-1 to be more specific:D

bousozoku
Jan 10, 2003, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by yzeater
It's an SV-1 to be more specific:D

Ooooo...it's a Bricklin SV-1? Oh, that was a great car, but I can't see as that as good as a computer. :D

mc68k
Jan 12, 2003, 02:18 AM
Does this supercomputer run one of the OSes required for the client? Would running all those processors at 100% for prolonged periods fair welll with it?

intriguing. keep us posted on your progress.

Falleron
Jan 12, 2003, 05:25 AM
Sounds good to me!

medea
Jan 12, 2003, 03:33 PM
hmm, I don't even know what a Cray is?
Help a brotha out.

Wes
Jan 12, 2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by medea
hmm, I don't even know what a Cray is?
Help a brotha out.

Well a few years ago my friends and I dreamed of it as the perfect computer. Since then I have begun to wonder what software runs on it. According to another thread it has 8 500mhz processors and 32 gigs of ram :D:D:D

MrMacMan
Jan 12, 2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by W-_-W

Well a few years ago my friends and I dreamed of it as the perfect computer. Since then I have begun to wonder what software runs on it. According to another thread it has 8 500mhz processors and 32 gigs of ram :D:D:D
haha.

So what is this computer or atleast tell us what OS it runs on. :-D

Catfish_Man
Jan 12, 2003, 05:14 PM
http://www.cray.com/products/systems/sv1/index.html

yzeater
Jan 12, 2003, 06:54 PM
exactly

Catfish_Man
Jan 12, 2003, 07:11 PM
You lucky SOB. I hope you can get it working, it should make quite a nice F@H client. :)

MacBandit
Jan 12, 2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Catfish_Man
http://www.cray.com/products/systems/sv1/index.html

My Dual/GHz/DDR PowerMac can provide up to 10GFlops in real world applications so what's the big deal about an old Cray that can only achieve 8GFlops?

yzeater
Jan 12, 2003, 07:23 PM
Did your Dual Ghz cost 3 mil:D
It has 32 gigs of ram...that must make a difference

MrMacMan
Jan 12, 2003, 08:25 PM
Did your Dual Ghz cost 3 mil:D
It has 32 gigs of ram...that must make a difference

No kidding, anyway the Cray OS is probably like *nix so it is less graphical based and runs faster, heck I'm sure there is some command to run like only folding :-D :p

Wes
Jan 13, 2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by MacBandit

My Dual/GHz/DDR PowerMac can provide up to 10GFlops in real world applications so what's the big deal about an old Cray that can only achieve 8GFlops?

That is only alti-vec enhanced apps, which folding is not. :p (yet)

MrMacMan
Jan 13, 2003, 05:13 PM
Isn't folding like 20 % faster running OS 9 over OS X, why is that?

Wes
Jan 13, 2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman

OS X is a lot more complicated for processors than OS 9. Drop shadows, genie effects and such, aqua and transparency are processor things of nightmares. There are more reasons. More knowledgable people will have some more examples.

pgwalsh
Jan 13, 2003, 05:23 PM
What are the chances you can use it for this? Also, would you know how to get folding to work on it? Can anyone tell us how fast it would crunch a core?

MrMacMan
Jan 13, 2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by W-_-W

OS X is a lot more complicated for processors than OS 9. Drop shadows, genie effects and such, aqua and transparency are processor things of nightmares. There are more reasons. More knowledgable people will have some more examples.

well I know for all the effects but if I'm not using basically any memory or any other CPU but that and it runs: hella alot slower, not optomized?

Falleron
Jan 13, 2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman
I'm not sure where you got that from. However, folding does not run on OS9.

zarathustra
Jan 13, 2003, 05:34 PM
It seems Crays use UNICOS, as the operating system. I wonder when/if it will be cheaper to cluster Xserves to get the same computing power. I could see a few racks of Xserves connected with optical fibre channel and a few Xraids... *drools*

yzeater
Jan 13, 2003, 05:45 PM
let's hope this works guys. Can folding run on UNICOS?

Over Achiever
Jan 13, 2003, 06:09 PM
Isn't UNICOS similar to UNIX? So wouldn't the Unix/Linux version work?

MrMacMan
Jan 13, 2003, 09:27 PM
I'm pritty sure they have one that *could* work and yes UNICOS is only slightly different than its *nix counterparts.

so it is possible. :D

Catfish_Man
Jan 13, 2003, 10:08 PM

"Cray SV1ex also provides high-end developers designing new applications access to a new innovative architecture-the Multi-Streaming Processor (MSP). MSP combines four 2 GFLOPS processors to create one eight-vector pipe processor that delivers 8 GFLOPS peak performance. The system dynamically reconfigures the combination of MSP and standard processors based on the system workload." (from the cray page)

So, that's 8GFLOPS per "Multi-Streaming Processor", in addition to the 2GFLOP normal processors. Also, Crays have a MUCH more balanced architecture than G4s, so I imagine even one of those MSPs could sustain much higher GFLOPS than your G4. In addition, non-Altivec tasks on a G4 run at a max of 2 GFLOPS @1GHz, or 4.5 GFLOPS@dual 1.25GHz (1 FMADD per clock cycle).

Performance for an entire Cray SV-1 ranges from 19.2 to 153.6 GFLOPS. The SV1ex ranges from 32 to 256 GFLOPS. RAM ranges from 4 to 128 GB.

Over Achiever
Jan 13, 2003, 10:23 PM
Performance for an entire Cray SV-1 ranges from 19.2 to 153.6 GFLOPS. The SV1ex ranges from 32 to 256 GFLOPS. RAM ranges from 4 to 128 GB.

MacBandit
Jan 14, 2003, 01:26 AM

"Cray SV1ex also provides high-end developers designing new applications access to a new innovative architecture-the Multi-Streaming Processor (MSP). MSP combines four 2 GFLOPS processors to create one eight-vector pipe processor that delivers 8 GFLOPS peak performance. The system dynamically reconfigures the combination of MSP and standard processors based on the system workload." (from the cray page)

So, that's 8GFLOPS per "Multi-Streaming Processor", in addition to the 2GFLOP normal processors. Also, Crays have a MUCH more balanced architecture than G4s, so I imagine even one of those MSPs could sustain much higher GFLOPS than your G4. In addition, non-Altivec tasks on a G4 run at a max of 2 GFLOPS @1GHz, or 4.5 GFLOPS@dual 1.25GHz (1 FMADD per clock cycle).

I was simply making a statement/question and I guess I got my answer but for some reason I feel like I just got a serious bitch slapping.:eek: :eek:

yzeater
Jan 14, 2003, 05:50 AM
so there :)!

pgwalsh
Jan 14, 2003, 11:23 AM
so there :)! So what's the deal holyfield? When are you going to know?

yzeater
Jan 14, 2003, 01:41 PM
We have to wait till the next meeting about the Cray...I'm not quite sure when it is:cool:

MrMacMan
Jan 14, 2003, 08:36 PM
We have to wait till the next meeting about the Cray...I'm not quite sure when it is:cool:

Remember ask if it is *nix Compatible. Maybe we could try the command line or the Linux version or if there is a real *nix one out there. :D

That cray system is insane.

Catfish_Man
Jan 14, 2003, 09:09 PM

I was simply making a statement/question and I guess I got my answer but for some reason I feel like I just got a serious bitch slapping.:eek: :eek:

Heh. Sorry about that, it was a bit harsh.

yzeater
Jan 14, 2003, 09:20 PM
The Cray is *nix compatible

MrMacMan
Jan 15, 2003, 04:54 PM
Excelent. :D

bousozoku
Jan 15, 2003, 08:50 PM
Maybe someday Stanford will have access to one so that they can compile their source code and folding will be possible or maybe it's got a x86-compatibility mode until that time.