Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
thanks for the heads up, i would have never noticed it, did it make it way to versiontracker?

iJon

mike czech

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2002
619 SD CA
I had the "first" version which kept deletng my /tmp file and messing up my Classic and Software Update. This one doesn't have those bugs...

I hope we don't find new, updated bugs!

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
heh, I was just about to post this....thanks.
Seems a bit faster, not all the bugs I've spotted are fixed but it's still an early beta so.....
Glad to see them on the ball though.

burger011

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
It does seem

a lot faster (imac 600 mhz), still the hotmail issue... at least for me.

Just learned about Tab browsing the other day and I love it. I really hope they add that feature.

pantagruel

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2002
here and there
hmm, is it faster, I cant tell. Ill take all updates for it I can get anways. they should have a list of fixes shouldnt they, or no because its still beta?

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Eh, for me nothing noticable yet. The navigation tabs on the Apple homepage are still off center. It's still pretty fast,

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by Freg3000
Eh, for me nothing noticable yet. The navigation tabs on the Apple homepage are still off center. It's still pretty fast,
yeah i noticed that too. i sent them a bug letting them know their own site doesnt even show properly. im sure thats the least of their concerns right now though. one thing i know though, apple sure has optimized their site for safari because their site flies in it. i love. i think it is my imagination but this does feel a bit faster.

iJon

brogers

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2002
Greensboro, NC
Seems to be faster for sure. The Apple site does seems to be the fastest. Scrolling is awesome. Future updates to Safari are going to be great!!!!

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
Has anyone created their own style sheet for it? It would be interesting to have a site to download premade stylesheets. Probably exists, let me google it.

The update does not add anything noticable, probably a good bit of bug fixes. David Hyatt is the kind of programmer I like, hard working and obsessed :D

Jaykay

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2002
Ireland
Can this version of safari remember passwords, because apart from tabbed browsing thats one of the things i want most.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Does anyone know the best way to submit a feature request? i'd like to see a bigger cache, or better yet a way to change the cache size... I know a lot of times the bigger a cache is, the slower it works, but Safari's cache seems awfully small, and i find it downloading images and sites that i visited just a few sites ago.

I don't know if i should use the bug report as a feature request, i'd imagine that would annoy them?

pnw

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by paulwhannel
Does anyone know the best way to submit a feature request? i'd like to see a bigger cache, or better yet a way to change the cache size... I know a lot of times the bigger a cache is, the slower it works, but Safari's cache seems awfully small, and i find it downloading images and sites that i visited just a few sites ago.

I don't know if i should use the bug report as a feature request, i'd imagine that would annoy them?

pnw

Use the bug report. Who cares if it annoys them. If it does you know you got there attention. Expecially when 50,000 others do the same and request the same feature.

Chimera still loads the Apple page faster for me. Even when going to pages that I have never been to or at least not in the last few months. Maybe they optimized it for slower connections and that is why I'm not seeing a speed increase.

The tabs on the Apple page seem to be in the right position also. I don't know what the difference is.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Anyone tried the debug menu?
Look what I got:

Attachments

• debug.jpg
    debug.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 2,239

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
just noticed something about safari... i was curious as to how safari would register on my web tracker (i use thecounter.com) and it registered as netscape 5.

does anyone know if this is because the system (thecounter) does not recognize this specific browser and just defaults it to either ie or netscape? although i have had some people register as unknown. just curious because i would love to see what number of mac users that visit my site are using safari.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Re: debug

Originally posted by mnkeybsness
where is this debug menu? i'm just not seeing it
Go to View > Bug. There will be a little bug icon in the top right of your window.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by zim
just noticed something about safari... i was curious as to how safari would register on my web tracker (i use thecounter.com) and it registered as netscape 5.

does anyone know if this is because the system (thecounter) does not recognize this specific browser and just defaults it to either ie or netscape? although i have had some people register as unknown. just curious because i would love to see what number of mac users that visit my site are using safari.

Because there are two main standards for web browsers that being IE or Netscape when you build a new browser you have to choose which one for it to emulate. Apple chose to be like Netscape. Therefore when the counter checked your Safari it was actually checking the emulation that it used which is Netscape.

Switcher2001

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
User Stylesheet

Has anyone created their own style sheet for it?

I resorted to creating the world's shortest style sheet just so I could get rid of those darn underlines on the hyperlinks (I'm surprised the preferences don't allow this). My stylesheet is simply:

a { text-decoration : none }

I saved it as My_Style.css and linked to it using the "Use stylesheet" option in the Safari prefs. Now none of my links are underlined! Yeah!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.