Jan 10, 2003, 06:42 PM
from the Safari download page at apple.com:

"Safari Update 1.0 Beta (v51) 1-10-03
This Safari Update is recommended for all Safari users"

the version is marked as 0.8.1

find it at http://www.apple.com/safari/download/

iJon
Jan 10, 2003, 06:55 PM
thanks for the heads up, i would have never noticed it, did it make it way to versiontracker?

iJon

zarathustra
Jan 10, 2003, 07:00 PM
OH MY GOD! I don't know why, but this build is MUCH faster on my 933Mhz 1.25 GB PowerMac. It screams!!!

mike czech
Jan 10, 2003, 07:04 PM
I had the "first" version which kept deletng my /tmp file and messing up my Classic and Software Update. This one doesn't have those bugs...

I hope we don't find new, updated bugs!

medea
Jan 10, 2003, 07:13 PM
heh, I was just about to post this....thanks.
Seems a bit faster, not all the bugs I've spotted are fixed but it's still an early beta so.....
Glad to see them on the ball though.

burger011
Jan 10, 2003, 07:23 PM
a lot faster (imac 600 mhz), still the hotmail issue... at least for me.

Just learned about Tab browsing the other day and I love it. I really hope they add that feature.

pantagruel
Jan 10, 2003, 07:33 PM
hmm, is it faster, I cant tell. Ill take all updates for it I can get anways. they should have a list of fixes shouldnt they, or no because its still beta?

Freg3000
Jan 10, 2003, 07:47 PM
Eh, for me nothing noticable yet. The navigation tabs on the Apple homepage are still off center. It's still pretty fast,

iJon
Jan 10, 2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Freg3000
Eh, for me nothing noticable yet. The navigation tabs on the Apple homepage are still off center. It's still pretty fast,
yeah i noticed that too. i sent them a bug letting them know their own site doesnt even show properly. im sure thats the least of their concerns right now though. one thing i know though, apple sure has optimized their site for safari because their site flies in it. i love. i think it is my imagination but this does feel a bit faster.

iJon

brogers
Jan 10, 2003, 08:14 PM
Seems to be faster for sure. The Apple site does seems to be the fastest. Scrolling is awesome. Future updates to Safari are going to be great!!!!

Chaszmyr
Jan 10, 2003, 08:20 PM
I am disappointed that this update doesnt have the flash player fix

peterjhill
Jan 10, 2003, 08:23 PM
Has anyone created their own style sheet for it? It would be interesting to have a site to download premade stylesheets. Probably exists, let me google it.

The update does not add anything noticable, probably a good bit of bug fixes. David Hyatt is the kind of programmer I like, hard working and obsessed :D

Jaykay
Jan 10, 2003, 08:34 PM
Can this version of safari remember passwords, because apart from tabbed browsing thats one of the things i want most.

rainman::|:|
Jan 10, 2003, 09:20 PM
Does anyone know the best way to submit a feature request? i'd like to see a bigger cache, or better yet a way to change the cache size... I know a lot of times the bigger a cache is, the slower it works, but Safari's cache seems awfully small, and i find it downloading images and sites that i visited just a few sites ago.

I don't know if i should use the bug report as a feature request, i'd imagine that would annoy them?

pnw

MacBandit
Jan 10, 2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by paulwhannel
Does anyone know the best way to submit a feature request? i'd like to see a bigger cache, or better yet a way to change the cache size... I know a lot of times the bigger a cache is, the slower it works, but Safari's cache seems awfully small, and i find it downloading images and sites that i visited just a few sites ago.

I don't know if i should use the bug report as a feature request, i'd imagine that would annoy them?

pnw

Use the bug report. Who cares if it annoys them. If it does you know you got there attention. Expecially when 50,000 others do the same and request the same feature.

Chimera still loads the Apple page faster for me. Even when going to pages that I have never been to or at least not in the last few months. Maybe they optimized it for slower connections and that is why I'm not seeing a speed increase.

The tabs on the Apple page seem to be in the right position also. I don't know what the difference is.

Catfish_Man
Jan 10, 2003, 10:39 PM
Anyone tried the debug menu?
Look what I got:

macmax
Jan 10, 2003, 10:45 PM
i don't know what happened, safari was really fast, i went and updated it and now it is not that fast>>>>?????

mnkeybsness
Jan 10, 2003, 11:08 PM
where is this debug menu? i'm just not seeing it

zim
Jan 10, 2003, 11:34 PM
just noticed something about safari... i was curious as to how safari would register on my web tracker (i use thecounter.com) and it registered as netscape 5.

does anyone know if this is because the system (thecounter) does not recognize this specific browser and just defaults it to either ie or netscape? although i have had some people register as unknown. just curious because i would love to see what number of mac users that visit my site are using safari.

Beej
Jan 11, 2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
where is this debug menu? i'm just not seeing it Go to View > Bug. There will be a little bug icon in the top right of your window.

alset
Jan 11, 2003, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
where is this debug menu? i'm just not seeing it

Use this app (Safari Enhancer) to add some hidden features, including the debug option. This link is to the developers site. People seem to rate it well on Version Tracker.

I haven't tried it, so please let us know what you think.

http://gordon.sourcecod.com/sites/safari_enhancer.php

Dan

MacBandit
Jan 11, 2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by zim
just noticed something about safari... i was curious as to how safari would register on my web tracker (i use thecounter.com) and it registered as netscape 5.

does anyone know if this is because the system (thecounter) does not recognize this specific browser and just defaults it to either ie or netscape? although i have had some people register as unknown. just curious because i would love to see what number of mac users that visit my site are using safari.

Because there are two main standards for web browsers that being IE or Netscape when you build a new browser you have to choose which one for it to emulate. Apple chose to be like Netscape. Therefore when the counter checked your Safari it was actually checking the emulation that it used which is Netscape.

Switcher2001
Jan 11, 2003, 01:47 AM
Has anyone created their own style sheet for it?

I resorted to creating the world's shortest style sheet just so I could get rid of those darn underlines on the hyperlinks (I'm surprised the preferences don't allow this). My stylesheet is simply:

a { text-decoration : none }

I saved it as My_Style.css and linked to it using the "Use stylesheet" option in the Safari prefs. Now none of my links are underlined! Yeah!

idkew
Jan 11, 2003, 02:31 AM
OMG!!! THere was an update to a BETA application. I never would have believed it.

blogo
Jan 11, 2003, 02:47 AM
I guess they fixed that "downloading and deleting homedirectory" bug

Megaquad
Jan 11, 2003, 05:31 AM
I am just going to stick with Chimera, works better and more efficient for me.

jholzner
Jan 11, 2003, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by Freg3000

Apple's page shows up perfectly for me...is everyone having this problem with their page?

Chaszmyr
Jan 11, 2003, 05:58 AM
I am not having problems with Apple's page

j763
Jan 11, 2003, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Chaszmyr
I am disappointed that this update doesnt have the flash player fix

I'm disappointed that this update doesn't have support for object type="text/html". More to the point, I'm disappointed that what's being put into internal builds (see Dave Hyatt's Weblog (http://www.mozillazine.org/weblogs/hyatt/)) for the last three days has not made it's way into this build.

Oh well, I guess we'll have to wait another three days.

Chaszmyr
Jan 11, 2003, 10:12 AM
I am not having problems with Apple's page

Let me ammend that... I just noticed what people were talking about with the tabs being off center.

MacBandit
Jan 11, 2003, 10:17 AM

Let me ammend that... I just noticed what people were talking about with the tabs being off center.

I did too. If you drag your window to full screen it's more prevalent. But talking about nitpicking who could care that tabs are 4mm to the right?

Chaszmyr
Jan 11, 2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by MacBandit

I did too. If you drag your window to full screen it's more prevalent. But talking about nitpicking who could care that tabs are 4mm to the right?

Well I have a cinema display, so its a lot more than 4mm off... Still not a huge deal, but it should be adressed.

MacBandit
Jan 11, 2003, 10:48 AM

Well I have a cinema display, so its a lot more than 4mm off... Still not a huge deal, but it should be adressed.

Yeah I forgot about all you bastards with your huge wide screed displays.

I have just one question for you. What are you trying to compensate for?;) :D

Chaszmyr
Jan 11, 2003, 11:27 AM
Its one of those "once you have it you can never go back" deals. For the longest time i was usin ga 14'' screen... then i got a 17''... then a 21''... now i have dual, a 22'' cinema and a 21'' CRT... i dont think i could ever downsize again :-P

Marvenp
Jan 11, 2003, 12:47 PM
If you try printing from Safari, you'll notice ahuge difference in the off centered tabs. Therefore it is a big deal and should be addressed. Anyway, a bug is a bug and they ALL should be addressed as early in the development as possible. We DO want Apple to have better products than Microsoft don't we?

beatle888
Jan 11, 2003, 03:41 PM
[ unnecessary comments removed ]

beatle888
Jan 11, 2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Jaykay
Can this version of safari remember passwords, because apart from tabbed browsing thats one of the things i want most.

me too. tabbed browsing and passwords will
come. you can bet on it. this is apple and
there going to make this sucker so fine.
i cant wait. i love those guys. so dedicated.
even in the face of asperity. in every bug
note i send to them...i tell them how much
i love them...i have faith in apple. i wish people
would get off their back.

Chaszmyr
Jan 11, 2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by beatle888

i cant believe your dissapointed.

Yes, I realize Safari is a beta. Yes, I realize that things take time to fix. The reason I am disappointed is that (as you would know if you really keep up with this stuff) David Hyatt's weblog said that this bug was fixed on his build... And since it was already fixed I dont know why Apple didnt put the fix into the new public build.

beatle888
Jan 11, 2003, 05:46 PM

Yes, I realize Safari is a beta. Yes, I realize that things take time to fix. The reason I am disappointed is that (as you would know if you really keep up with this stuff) David Hyatt's weblog said that this bug was fixed on his build... And since it was already fixed I dont know why Apple didnt put the fix into the new public build.

too bad, guess you will have to wait.
or build one for yourself.

yosoyjay
Jan 12, 2003, 01:33 AM

sorry guys...im just sick of people complaining
about

1. beta releases

2. something they get for free

3. something apple is developing to further
inhance the apple platform.

jeezus christ....oh well. again sorry. but im
in a bad mood and dont feel like over looking
dumb asses like this.:rolleyes:

Chaszmyr
sorry for singleing you out....your complaint
is mild compare to a lot of mac users out there.
like i said im in a bad mood.

A bit harsh don't you think? I personally frown upon Apple apologists who automatically attack any person who mearly critiques or demonstrates certain desires from Apple or their products. Although you may not want to hear the complaining, I'm sure Apple does and that's why they gave us the bug report.

alset
Jan 12, 2003, 02:36 PM
I was under the impression that Keychain access has been included in the latest release. I haven't bothered testing it. Can anyone verify?

Dan

Spock
Jan 12, 2003, 08:37 PM
Hey, I have a problem with Safari, when I try to Download of the Apple Site like iPhoto I type in my name etc, and click download and Safari just shuts off anyone elce have this problem??

shadowfax
Jan 12, 2003, 10:04 PM
wow, go apple. they already addressed most of my biggest problem (other than no tabs): it works with the deskmod cookies! hehe. www.deskmod.com is my home page, and it wasn't remembering my login when i opened it (it's my homepage) or when i clicked on an internal DM link. now it's fine. my favorite DM skin is all messed up, but the others work fine. i needed to switch anyways.

ah me. i would have expected this, though. this is the best idea: why have a bunch of paid people go around and look for sites that safari screws up? they have half a million users more than willing to do it! I dunno about you guys, but i think it's neat that they included us in the debugging process. i mean, granted it's too bad about the directories getting lost, but that is so rare and... read the beta EULA, lol.

still think chimera is better, but it's foothold's going to slip, methinks. I'm anxious to see if apple can pull this off.

oh, and i DID notice on my tiG4/1GHz that pages were loading a good bit faster than chimera, which impressed me. i didn't notice it before, so i can't say for sure if this is as of v51 or if it was in v48 or whatever i had.

beatle888
Jan 12, 2003, 11:37 PM
[ unnecessary comments removed ]

shadowfax
Jan 12, 2003, 11:54 PM

so your point is as sharp as a marble.

i have seen some pretty darn sharp marble...

please don't go into the bad mood thing: you have the excuse of KNOWING that you were in a bad mood, aka PMSing. that doesn't make you any less responsible for what you say. you can't just bitch at someone and then say, "hey i was in a bad mood" unless you also say, "you're right, i'm sorry" before that. and of course you did that, but now you seem to be defending yourself with it again, like you aren't sorry.

people being pissed doesn't make them responsibility immune. dignity immune, maybe, but that's another story.

MacBandit
Jan 13, 2003, 01:38 AM
Enough of this childish bickering crap!!!! Get the thread back on track.

Who here expects the possibility of another update to Safari either Monday or early in the week?

railthinner
Jan 13, 2003, 11:08 AM
What's the Flash Player issue? I haven't had any difficulties.

alset
Jan 13, 2003, 10:29 PM
Comments on the brushed-metal interface? I cancelled it out on mine. Does anyone else find this to be an eyesore? Let's have a show of hands.

Dan

Juventuz
Jan 13, 2003, 11:23 PM
I agree, I've got the Aqua look to it.

I don't care much for the brushed metal look.

shadowfax
Jan 14, 2003, 01:04 AM
demetallifizer all the way. it's way way too big of a window to do brushed. it looks pristine in aqua with the stylish halftone... just like every other normal OS X application. yeah!

MacBandit
Jan 14, 2003, 01:48 AM
I personally think the aqua grey and stripes is kinda bland personally.

shadowfax
Jan 14, 2003, 04:37 PM
I personally think the aqua grey and stripes is kinda bland personally.

i take it you use the brushed metal?

MacBandit
Jan 15, 2003, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by Shadowfax

i take it you use the brushed metal?

I am not using Safari full time. It just doesn't do it for me yet. I love it and all but it is second in my Dock right behind Chimera.

shadowfax
Jan 15, 2003, 03:37 PM

I am not using Safari full time. It just doesn't do it for me yet. I love it and all but it is second in my Dock right behind Chimera.

naturally... safari is not quite stable enought o be a main browser for me either, i use chimera too, and almost exclusively chimera, but i demetallifized safari just the same for when i do run it.

MacBandit
Jan 16, 2003, 12:09 AM

naturally... safari is not quite stable enought o be a main browser for me either, i use chimera too, and almost exclusively chimera, but i demetallifized safari just the same for when i do run it.

I really don't know why people have a problem with the metal look of Safari. It is such a small amount. I admit it could use some color in the buttons. Maybe make them roll overs like the window buttons.

I find the grey? of aqua a tad overbearing and drab anymore. I've just been seeing it too much for too long.

shadowfax
Jan 16, 2003, 01:11 AM

I really don't know why people have a problem with the metal look of Safari. It is such a small amount. I admit it could use some color in the buttons. Maybe make them roll overs like the window buttons.

I find the grey? of aqua a tad overbearing and drab anymore. I've just been seeing it too much for too long.

hmmm. well, my issue is not that i hate brushed metal. i love it on iChat, iTunes, and so forth. iTunes in particular would be horrible in regular aqua. iChat is reaonable without metal, but it's better in brushed metal for sure. i just think safari is far to big to do in brushed metal. i much prefer the aqua look. of course, i use the graphite theme on OS X and am much more into grayscale....

have you not tried themes? they have some pretty nice 3rd party theme programs and some cool themes, from milk white to system wide brushed metal to windows XP's look. i don't use them, but i have tried several. it's pretty stable.

MacBandit
Jan 16, 2003, 01:23 AM

hmmm. well, my issue is not that i hate brushed metal. i love it on iChat, iTunes, and so forth. iTunes in particular would be horrible in regular aqua. iChat is reaonable without metal, but it's better in brushed metal for sure. i just think safari is far to big to do in brushed metal. i much prefer the aqua look. of course, i use the graphite theme on OS X and am much more into grayscale....

have you not tried themes? they have some pretty nice 3rd party theme programs and some cool themes, from milk white to system wide brushed metal to windows XP's look. i don't use them, but i have tried several. it's pretty stable.

I don't like themes. They cause too many problems with upgrades etc.. When Apple provides them once again I will use them.

How come there is too much metal in Safari? The amount in iTunes is much larger.

Here's a picture. You tell me which has the larger area of brushed metal.

shadowfax
Jan 16, 2003, 08:57 PM

I don't like themes. They cause too many problems with upgrades etc.. When Apple provides them once again I will use them.

How come there is too much metal in Safari? The amount in iTunes is much larger.

Here's a picture. You tell me which has the larger area of brushed metal.

well, that's you lol. on my screen, itunes is usually puny except for those rare times when i am browsing it. and when it's not, it's still a good bit smaller than safari, which generally takes about 80% of my screen when i use it. it's all good though. you have your metal, i have my aqua. there's no accounting for taste, as they say. unless you like windows. then your taste can be easily accounted for.