Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
Got me OPPO Find 7a today. Here are some pictures of the box and packaging.
Here are my first initial thoughts. The packaging is very nice comes in a very nice pox with headphones and rather large brick charger. The charger is supposed to be able to charge the phone from zero to 75% in 30 minutes! I was able to insert my AT&T sim card and it picked up 4G LTE right away.

There was an 127MB update when ready for the phone after it was on the network....

The sleep wake button is on the left side of the of the phone with the volume rocker on the right. Does make a difference to me as this phone is too big to use one handed anyway. It is very light for a 5.5 inch phone! It feels very nice in the hand. It feels very balanced very nice. The Find 7a comes with the knock knock feature to wake the phone.....i love that feature! It also comes with a very nice gesture features. You can knock on the screen to wake it then draw a picture/gesture to open apps like the camera...very nice!

The screen is absolutely gorgeous! It came with a screen protector already installed on the phone....but it is a fingerprint magnet...might not be there for long.....

It also has the option to use the term "Ok Google Now" while the phone is asleep. Much like the Moto X. I have yet to try that feature....

The notification light is on the bottom of the phone....it pulses blue....looks awesome on a black phone.

One drawback is the home, back and recent apps on screen buttons are very dim. Hopefully OPPO can make them brighter with an update.

Here are some pictures taken with my S5...

I will update more after i have time to play with the phone more....

MhBh5l5.jpg
[/IMG]

w4LUBEj.jpg
[/IMG]

4vijS0f.jpg
[/IMG]

6PaWKOP.jpg
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'd send it back if I were you... From the looks of the last picture there's some strange ceiling fan etched on the glass :p

Keep us updated, especially with Color OS. :)

Those ear buds look nice, they look like klipsch s4's...

Jspring86

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011
Tempe, AZ
Oooo sexy!

It looks really nice. Phones like this are why I hate Verizon, it makes me want to pickup a $30 a month 5GB pre-pay plan on T-Mobile just to check out sweet unlocked phones like this!

Looking forward to your review on this.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
Oooo sexy!

It looks really nice. Phones like this are why I hate Verizon, it makes me want to pickup a $30 a month 5GB pre-pay plan on T-Mobile just to check out sweet unlocked phones like this!

Looking forward to your review on this.
It is a very nice phone! The more i use it the more I am really liking it.
It comes with a unlocked bootloader and root process that takes....30 seconds and a reboot. OPPO even helps with support root issues. Cyanogen is supposed to release a rom for this phone any day now.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
OP: Thanks for the Post. Keep us updated. Good luck with it. Interesting to see how it compares with the G3.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Looks nice.

I want to pick one up here, but the version they sell here doesn't have any of the Google apps stuff, and had their own app store.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
I am finding I like the gestures on this phone. I can knock on the screen to wake it and also double tap the home button to turn off the screen. The sound on the twin stereo speakers is amazing. The volume is loud enough that have to turn the notification down because they are so loud. here is a first pic in my office at work. I will take more pics later......

7e3a5eja.jpg

viskon

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2012
Wish I could keep my desk so clean. Do voice commands work while the phone is sleeping?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
Took a couple of pictures at lunch at work today

xEBlK1i.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

0APZec5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Picking up my son ay school....

VlaMpj4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
Played around with the gestures a little today. These are amazing!

The Find 7 has the best speaker quality of any phone i have had (including HTC one), with a balanced voice output which makes music very enjoyable. MaxAudio sounds so crystal clear. I actually have to be careful not to turn it up too loud with headphones plugged in...it hurts my ears the volume can get so loud.

It has the great screen display (bright and clear).

It has great camera which takes pictures in all light conditions.

I like the soft blue glow message indicator.

It is blazing fast with no lag.

I love the "double tap" function to wake up device and draw "circle" to open camera when screen is off.

pjv9yLI.png
[/URL][/IMG]

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
Today is the first full charge.....not good but not bad

Hmm, let us know the screen on time please.

Had a Find 5 which was great except for the battery and Oppo's inability to develop Color OS without breaking something they'd previously fixed. After 6 months of promises I got tired of 3 hours screen on and the juice hungry cellular signal.

Find 7 and 7a look great but no good having the power if I have to charge it by the afternoon!

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
Hmm, let us know the screen on time please.

Had a Find 5 which was great except for the battery and Oppo's inability to develop Color OS without breaking something they'd previously fixed. After 6 months of promises I got tired of 3 hours screen on and the juice hungry cellular signal.

Find 7 and 7a look great but no good having the power if I have to charge it by the afternoon!
That is what I am finding too. The screen time is almost 3 hours. But the battery drains pretty fast while in sleep mode. The main battery drain is the cellular signal which means the LTE radio is very power hungry. But it does this while on wifi too!

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
That is what I am finding too. The screen time is almost 3 hours. But the battery drains pretty fast while in sleep mode. The main battery drain is the cellular signal which means the LTE radio is very power hungry. But it does this while on wifi too!

Ouch. This sounds like the Find 5 all over again :(

I remember it'd drop 10% overnight doing nothing. As a daily driver it became impossible when I needed to charge it early afternoon.

I liked Color OS except for the crazy battery drain and even flashing custom ROMs improved things marginally and that got tiring with instability issues. At the time, Oppo's solution seemed to be having a very aggressive approach to killing background apps to try and save battery, which caused anger in their forums. As each new update rolled out, nothing changed with regards to prolonging the battery.

Slightly concerned just how much juice the 7 will guzzle with the QHD screen and thirsty OS!

I'll be watching this thread with interest as I'd love them to optimise the software to match the fantastic hardware.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
Ouch. This sounds like the Find 5 all over again :(

I remember it'd drop 10% overnight doing nothing. As a daily driver it became impossible when I needed to charge it early afternoon.

I liked Color OS except for the crazy battery drain and even flashing custom ROMs improved things marginally and that got tiring with instability issues. At the time, Oppo's solution seemed to be having a very aggressive approach to killing background apps to try and save battery, which caused anger in their forums. As each new update rolled out, nothing changed with regards to prolonging the battery.

Slightly concerned just how much juice the 7 will guzzle with the QHD screen and thirsty OS!

I'll be watching this thread with interest as I'd love them to optimise the software to match the fantastic hardware.
I have been putting bug in the Cyanogen team with support for the Find 7a. They say a rom is coming soon...... Hopefully it will have some software optimizations to help with the battery drain. The other thing that that bothers me is the 3 software buttons on the bottom the back, home and menu buttons are so dim that you can only see them at night. Maybe that can be fixed with a software update as well from a Rom?
I like the phone and the gestures are really top notch. The camera is right up there with the Galaxy S5 camera. Hopefully the battery issues can be fixed through a software update. On the OPPO forums an OPPO engineer said they are working on a fix for the battery drain. We will see....

Last edited:

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
Looks like they did eventually fix the F5 battery drain so hopefully they can learn from that and get a more rapid solution for the F7. Or, as you say, a CM ROM will also work.

Just noticed the QHD 7 is available to pre-order at Tmall and looks like it'll be available end of this month, so I'll definitely be spending a few hours in a local Oppo store (I'm in China) to give it, and the 7a, a good once over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.