Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Linky

http://pocketnow.com/2014/05/13/moto-e-now-official

http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers/shop-all-other/Moto-E/moto-e.html

Looks like a watered down Moto G which is no surprise

Android v4.4 (KitKat) OS
Wi-Fi Enabled
3G connectivity, no LTE
FM Radio
1.2 GHz MSM8x10 (Snapdragon 200) Dual Core Processor with Adreno 302 graphics
Dual Standby SIM (GSM + GSM)
5 MP Primary Camera, no front-facing shooter
4.3-inch Touchscreen @ 960×540 resolution
1GB of RAM
4GB internal storage with up to 32GB of microSD expansion

Looks like a good phone for those who want something absolutely barebones. Something they can still do basic functions on but still have twitter and a decent web browser etc.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Ordered.

Upgrading my GoPro memory card, and passing it down to this.

First Android device. 'iPod Touch' clone.
My iTunes library already synced with Google Music and ready to roll.

It won't work for my Airplay devices at home. But as a dedicated bluetooth headset player, dedicated car audio player. It has potential.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Ordered.

It won't work for my Airplay devices at home. But as a dedicated bluetooth headset player, dedicated car audio player. It has potential.

Android can airplay with allcast :)

Whoops music support may not be available yet not sure, but video to Apple TV is for sure

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
We'll see how street prices pan out, but I'm not sure it undercuts the Moto G by a sufficient margin to be attractive. The one thing in its favour is that it has a microSD slot, but this will soon be coming in the next revision of the G.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
Ordered.

You find a few airplay apps on the Play store. I've mirrored and streamed stuff to my ATV. Also the Chromecast is fairly cheap and even iOS devices can stream to them.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
The G is $99 no contract with Verizon. Why the E for $129?

Because most people aren't going to buy phones like this for use on Verizon, and the Verizon Moto G can only be used on Verizon. The Moto G that everyone else buys is $179 and $199. The big market for phones like this is for people that have to buy unlocked and want a cheap phone.

Farplaner

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
Android can airplay with allcast :)

Whoops music support may not be available yet not sure, but video to Apple TV is for sure

Does it work for Youtube yet? Most of the time I wanted to airplay it was from YouTube. The last time I checked it is not available yet with AllCast...

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
We'll see how street prices pan out, but I'm not sure it undercuts the Moto G by a sufficient margin to be attractive. The one thing in its favour is that it has a microSD slot, but this will soon be coming in the next revision of the G.

Agreed. I can certainly understand how $90 is hugely significant in emerging markets, however I'd gladly pay the extra $90 for an improved CPU, better display, LTE connectivity, front facing camera and 4GB more onboard storage found in the revised Moto G.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
This is a great phone for the price. It is great for a kid or a mid-contract replacement for a lost, stolen, or broken phone.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
Agreed. I can certainly understand how $90 is hugely significant in emerging markets, however I'd gladly pay the extra $90 for an improved CPU, better display, LTE connectivity, front facing camera and 4GB more onboard storage found in the revised Moto G.
I was looking at proposed UK pricing of £89 (presumably unlocked) versus £120-125 for an unlocked Moto G 8GB. In fact you can currently buy a pay as you go G/8GB for £100, and get a permanent unlock code for £2.

Obviously the E will sell for less than £89, but it's got to get close to £70 before it becomes tempting (unless the £30 is highly significant to you, of course).

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I'd prefer an entry level windows phone any time over that cheap droid.
android on such a low end hardware is a pain ....

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008

Agreed. Android is bad enough on the high end hardware sometimes as it is.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Agreed. Android is bad enough on the high end hardware sometimes as it is.

On high end hw is acceptable ... On mainstream devices is barely sufficient ... On low end is a joke.

What I appreciated about the Lumia 520 was that it was a truly enjoyable device (with all the WP 8 limitations) even for 130€ ....

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
On high end hw is acceptable ... On mainstream devices is barely sufficient ... On low end is a joke.

What I appreciated about the Lumia 520 was that it was a truly enjoyable device (with all the WP 8 limitations) even for 130€ ....

Maybe wait until there are some hands on before bashing it huh, i know you can't help but bash everything with Android installed on it but still try and restrain yourself...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Get one of those wall powered USB charging hubs!

You think I don't have one already? I need a hub for my hub! :D

Anyway, the Moto E sounds nice. Although the name reminds me of a computer virus for whatever reason... I like that it has a SD card though, bet it's going to be easy to get it to support the new 128GB ones.

Specs aren't bad, and I'm pretty sure someone's going to get it to overclock at 2 GHz.

I will wait to buy one when it gets to the $50 price point, which is bound to happen at the end of the year with refurbished models.

I'll tell you that as someone who had a Lumia 520 with 5GB and a Huawei with 2GB of internal storage, it's a lot easier to fill up that 520 than it is Android. Android definitely has a slimmer footprint when it comes to apps. So 4GB is decent if you have a photo and video taking plan where you constantly unload it to somewhere else.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I was looking forward to it when it was rumored to be 6mm thick. But it is double and lost interest.

I'm thinking the Moto G is still a better deal. I want some quad core as a bare minimum. The Moto G 4G looks even more interesting for that expandable memory and LTE.

Looks like the Asus Zenfone 5 still offers the best bargain but is quite big. Asus also offers some really well-priced tablets and the Fonepad 7 is only $200 although not on the level of their Nexus 7 (2013). Moto E is more in line vs the Nokia Lumia 520, Lenovo 369i, and Asus Zenfone 4 in the sub-$130 range. Might as well wait for the $20 smartphones going to be released later this year.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

Totally agree. Windows Phone is still pretty dreamy on the 520. Android is much less impressive on the low end.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.