PDA

View Full Version : Soundcard in iBook

lpshean
Jan 15, 2006, 06:05 PM
Hello again, i have a 12" iBook G4 (2004)... and im currently toying with the idea of getting myself a good either 2.1 or 5.1 Speaker set.

I did a forum search and didnt get an answer as to whether the iBooks can actually reproduce a 2.1 or 5.1 surround sounds that great if i wanna view DVDs. And nothing on the Tech Specs part on the Apple's site too.

Eidorian
Jan 15, 2006, 06:09 PM
Hello again, i have a 12" iBook G4 (2004)... and im currently toying with the idea of getting myself a good either 2.1 or 5.1 Speaker set.

I did a forum search and didnt get an answer as to whether the iBooks can actually reproduce a 2.1 or 5.1 surround sounds that great if i wanna view DVDs. And nothing on the Tech Specs part on the Apple's site too.2.1 only. You only have the 1/8" stereo headphone out. If you get a FireWire/USB external sound card you can get 5.1 support.

lpshean
Jan 15, 2006, 06:13 PM
Yeah... they were saying that the reproducability of the sound was sorta impaired because of the usage of USB ports... so it all gets kindda confusing.

Eidorian
Jan 15, 2006, 06:27 PM
Yeah... they were saying that the reproducability of the sound was sorta impaired because of the usage of USB ports... so it all gets kindda confusing.I've found most USB audio devices to work just fine on Macs and on Windows.

lpshean
Jan 15, 2006, 07:07 PM
What brand of soundcard did you buy?

Eidorian
Jan 15, 2006, 07:09 PM
What brand of soundcard did you buy?I've used Creative on the Windows side. It had optical output and it works just fine. On the Apple side I've used the iMic from Griffin.

Laser47
Jan 15, 2006, 07:28 PM
Griffin Is releasing a firewire 5.1 channel external sound card called the Firewave but their product page says that its gonna be released in Q4 2005 and they are still taking preorders, so I guess they are behind schedule.

bousozoku
Jan 15, 2006, 08:24 PM
I've had an M-Audio sonica for a while and it's fine working from the USB port and provides 5.1 digital audio through an optical port and analog through a stereo mini jack.

The one thing I don't like is that it doesn't offer a coaxial S/PDIF connection while some of the more expensive devices they make have them and of course, my speaker setup does, too.

lpshean
Jan 15, 2006, 10:01 PM
I've had an M-Audio sonica for a while and it's fine working from the USB port and provides 5.1 digital audio through an optical port and analog through a stereo mini jack.

The one thing I don't like is that it doesn't offer a coaxial S/PDIF connection while some of the more expensive devices they make have them and of course, my speaker setup does, too.

Damn, are they expensive! Heheh... 100bucks. Well... looks like there aint nuthing for a college kid. :rolleyes: