Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CelticBhoy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
Scotland
When will PPC hardware begin to be unsupported by apps being intel only ? Or will Apple keep their options open in case the intel roadmap goes off the road ?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I'd say it will be 2-3 years after the last PPC machines ship at the earliest. Once Apple stop shipping PPC binaries they will probably keep building them internally, just in case, just like they did with Intel in the past. If any promising new architectures ship I would imagine they will port to that internally as well.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
I would guess that there'll be PowerPC compatible versions of apps for a couple years at least. There's a huge user base of Mac users out there with PowerPc based machines, and Apple would be crazy to cut them off just yet...

More likely they'll just carry on with Universal apps for a good spell.

tomacintosh

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2005
Yeah, I also think we'll start seeing a few developers maybe offering two versions of their programs, PPC or x86, to take full advantage of the new Intel chips

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
I don't see any reason for them not to check the check-box.

Takes very little time :p And I have a PPC iMac :D

I just hope that my Machine will run the new Leopard feartures like Dashboard with coreimage was for 10.4 ;)

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
tomimacg5 said:
Yeah, I also think we'll start seeing a few developers maybe offering two versions of their programs, PPC or x86, to take full advantage of the new Intel chips

No we won't. There is no need for this. A Universal Binary contains separate code for both platforms without needing 2 version. It can contain hand-optimised code for either or both platforms are required. Creating 2 versions would be more work for no gain.

tomacintosh

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2005
^ Ahh right I thought all universal binaries ran normal on a PPC but through emulation (rossetta) on Intel

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
tomimacg5 said:
^ Ahh right I thought all universal binaries ran normal on a PPC but through emulation (rossetta) on Intel
I think you've got it wrong. All apps today for Mac are PPC based. Intel has Rosetta - which emulates the PPC binary to work on the Intel based processor.

Or did I just read your post wrong. :confused:

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
tomimacg5 said:
To be clear, Universal Binaries have both PPC code and Intel code within a single application bundle. Rosetta is required to run PPC-only applications on Intel-based Macs. People, this is not that hard. :rolleyes:

Will_reed

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
as long as they keep up Universal binarys theres no reason power pc should die at all. if the technology for a powerbook g6 comes along I think they should put it out.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Various Apple service agreements pretty much assure that Apple will keep PowerPC in their software product plans for three years after the last PowerPC hardware ships. Outside vendors can do whatever they like, of course, based on where they think they will find sales. In reality, it all depends on how enthusiastic current PowerPC owners are about buying new programs and upgrades.

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
Will_reed said:
as long as they keep up Universal binarys theres no reason power pc should die at all. if the technology for a powerbook g6 comes along I think they should put it out.

Or until Steve flicks the switch which will shut down all those PPC machines worldwide. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.