PDA

View Full Version : Think the Powermac G5 line will all quad?

MacTruck
Jan 17, 2006, 02:44 PM
Anyone think apple will come out with a quad 2.3hgz powermac before they transition to intel? How about the 2.5ghz quad price drop. When?

combatcolin
Jan 17, 2006, 02:54 PM
Well, after the Intel iMac you also have to ask the following question about any possible future PPC Powermac.

Who cares?

And, of much more inportance:-

Who in their right mind is going to buy one?

Until macworld i was sitting on the fence, now i am buying land in the Intel side and applying for planning permission.

Malfoy
Jan 17, 2006, 02:59 PM
Anyone think apple will come out with a quad 2.3hgz powermac before they transition to intel? How about the 2.5ghz quad price drop. When?

quad price drop... hrm I'd say fall.

Xephian
Jan 17, 2006, 06:29 PM
I doubt it.

This is why I got my Quad in December. Last fastest, most stable PPC Power Mac.

generik
Jan 17, 2006, 06:40 PM
I'd say it would drop.

The MBP is now comparable and almost on par with the dual 2.0 for instance, and that for a tiny premium (it is a PORTABLE to boot).

Let's just say the current PM pricing are in a really intenable position, it will be just a matter of time before Apple slash prices on those to boost sales.

combatcolin
Jan 18, 2006, 05:41 PM
They would have to make the Powermac DAMN cheap before i spend any money on it.

Intel all the way for me!

Lord Blackadder
Jan 18, 2006, 05:57 PM
Remember when the G5 first came out in '03? They sold new single/dual 1.25GHz MDD G4 towers for a few months alongside the new G5s. I bet they do something similar with the last G5 towers. It probably will be a mid-spec (dual 2.3) machine at a slight discount, mostly just to get rid of inventory.

I don't think the Quad will be the last G5 on sale...probably one of the slower dual cores. But who knows? they might do another speed bump before the switch - look at what happened with the iMac. We all took that late fall speedbump to mean that it would be a while before the iMac went Intel, but that wasn't the case.