PDA

View Full Version : Unveiling a new low-power chip for the iPod

Dalriada
Jan 18, 2006, 08:29 AM
A 70% improvement in efficiency :eek:

New iPod chip (http://www.sundayherald.com/53605/)

Lets hope.

- Dal

stoid
Jan 18, 2006, 08:40 AM
Nowhere in the body of the article was there any mention to Apple or the iPod. Is 'iPod' just synonymous with 'mp3 player' now.

Boy, I can't wait to hear some sales rep saying, "We've got the Rio iPod and the Creative iPod, and they're both cheaper and hold more songs than the Apple iPod." :rolleyes:

Dalriada
Jan 18, 2006, 08:47 AM
It's in the title of the article and also the second paragraph ' the missing link required to carry the iPod generation on its next great leap forward'

- Dal

stoid
Jan 18, 2006, 08:49 AM
It's in the title of the article and also the second paragraph ' the missing link required to carry the iPod generation on its next great leap forward'

- Dal

Ah yes, I suppose that counts. :o

However, even that doesn't seem like a reference to the iPod as a device, but rather to the 'iPod generation', the demographic that uses portable mp3 players

Dalriada
Jan 18, 2006, 09:06 AM
We were at the front of the queue for the Core Duo's so lets hope our old faithful iPods get the first crack with this new chip.

- Dal

dmw007
Jan 18, 2006, 09:06 AM
A 70% improvement in efficiency :eek:

Wouldn't that be nice?! :)

seenew
Jan 18, 2006, 06:05 PM
Nowhere in the body of the article was there any mention to Apple or the iPod. Is 'iPod' just synonymous with 'mp3 player' now.

Boy, I can't wait to hear some sales rep saying, "We've got the Rio iPod and the Creative iPod, and they're both cheaper and hold more songs than the Apple iPod." :rolleyes:

Oh I know, it sickens me when I hear that stuff. My girlfriend and her sister got some Phillips mp3 players for Christmas, not bad ones, either, but not iPods. I hear their dad referring to them as iPods ALL THE TIME, though, and I want to slug him.

Of course, he is my girlfriend's dad, and he has lots of guns. And looks like Revolver Oceleot.

balamw
Jan 18, 2006, 06:56 PM
It should also be pointed out that Wolfson chips have been present (http://ipodlinux.org/Generations ) in every single iPod with a screen (i.e. not the shuffle). so it is extremely likely that such a chip would be incorporated in future iPods. Just like if PortalPlayer announces a new chip, you can bet that Apple might be ready to use it.

B

DrNeroCF
Jan 18, 2006, 10:12 PM
Um, that story describes a codec, not a chip, citing M$ and Real as competitors...

ToastMaster
Jan 19, 2006, 12:33 AM
It says that it's specifically for use in mp3 players tho, I guess. Would this mean only more battery life for music playback (not video or photos)? That's the impression i got.

iMeowbot
Jan 19, 2006, 12:41 AM
Um, that story describes a codec, not a chip, citing M$ and Real as competitors...
It is a chip. It's not a "codec" in the MP3 sense, but a set of a2d/d2a converters and signal processing logic.