PDA

View Full Version : New iPod?

AWishForNoOne
Jan 13, 2003, 11:12 AM
I know this has been overdone but I was wondering what people's predictions are for the next iPod or iDigitalDevice and when they think that it will be coming out? ( I've been waiting to get one... even though they're really good already.)

mnkeybsness
Jan 13, 2003, 11:47 AM
the only possibility i see would be firewire 800, but i heard that the ipod's hard drive wouldn't be able to handle that fast of transfers...so i kind of doubt any changes to the ipod in the near future...and no other devices

digital1
Jan 13, 2003, 11:48 AM
I will take a stab at this. I think at most bigger Hard Drives, and Color screens. Perhaps we will see the ability to do more with data input into the device(bad shot in the dark, I know)
Just my 2 cents.

rainman::|:|
Jan 13, 2003, 12:06 PM
Go buy an iPod. i did two days ago and i love it. The odds of them implimenting a color screen (it's make it bigger and more expensive) are very small, and there are currently no larger 1.8" drives on the market. Firewire 800 is NOT going to happen until drives get fast enough to use all of the bandwidth of firewire 400, which could be a while.

I think the people expecting an iPod update are in for a disappointment. At most, i could see a software update for it. I'd kill to have the ugly font Chicago off of it, replaced by Skia or something...

:)
pnw

vanillamike
Jan 13, 2003, 01:42 PM
I am hoping for the same thing, a reduced price and maybe AAC suuport on the iPod. Anyone out there have an inside track on any revisions? I hear rumors of Jan. 25th with iLife but I am skeptical. I want a 20 GB iPod so badly I can taste it, I mean hear it :D

Mike

cliffm
Jan 13, 2003, 05:23 PM
I just ordered a 20 gigger and now am wishing I would've waited a bit more. Releasing an updated ipod the same day as Ilife make sense. Maybe we will see Aluminum Ipods? Or peraps a backlit one? :p How about diferent colored Ipods? Its kinda boring with all of them being white :o

MacFan25
Jan 13, 2003, 05:48 PM
I doubt that the iPod will get a color screen anytime soon. I could be wrong but. I think that the color screen would be neat, but I don't think that it needs to be on there. I would think that it would raise prices. And I don't want the prices to go up any more. I am hoping for some price drops on Jan. 25, because I would really like to have an iPod. I guess I will wait and see what happens.

rainman::|:|
Jan 13, 2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by cliffm
I just ordered a 20 gigger and now am wishing I would've waited a bit more. Releasing an updated ipod the same day as Ilife make sense. Maybe we will see Aluminum Ipods? Or peraps a backlit one? :p How about diferent colored Ipods? Its kinda boring with all of them being white :o

Backlight like...what? like the whole case lights up? no thanks, i like my battery drain just the way it is :) the screens themselves are already backlight, you know :)

and isn't AAC support done through software?

pnw

rideahyperLite
Jan 13, 2003, 05:58 PM
i have a 20 giger and i love it, the only thing i would change on it is the font and the back. i hate the chrome, although it looks nice its hard to keep fingerprints off it. titanium would be nice.

whfsdude
Jan 13, 2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by paulwhannel
Skia

Best damn font ever!!!!!!!!!!!

I also bought an iPod :-)

cliffm
Jan 13, 2003, 06:38 PM
Backlit controls like the 17" PowerBook Keyodard.

MacKid
Jan 15, 2003, 06:32 PM
Backlit controls like the 17" PowerBook Keyodard.

In my opinion, in the dark, it's not hard to feel my way around 5 different buttons. . . Sounds more like a niché thing to me, it would simply drain the battery and the affordability. . .:(

cliffm
Jan 15, 2003, 06:37 PM
How about the ability to record? an on board mic for recording lectures? Good for sleeping in class :eek:

superkatalog
Jan 15, 2003, 07:29 PM
How about the ability to record? an on board mic for recording lectures? Good for sleeping in class :eek:

yes, yes, yes! line in, mic in, and a built in mic!! please!!!!!! that would make it the perfect device for me! but i think i will buy one anyway sooner or later....

rideahyperLite
Jan 15, 2003, 09:02 PM
yeah whats the deal w/ the no line in jack. that disappointed me

MacFan25
Jan 16, 2003, 02:18 PM
Maybe we will see Aluminum Ipods? Or peraps a backlit one? :p How about diferent colored Ipods? Its kinda boring with all of them being white :o

Aluminum iPods would probably be neat looking, but I still like the looks of the white iPod. I don't really think that the white is boring.

cliffm
Jan 16, 2003, 07:56 PM
Well, Apple sent me email stating my 20gig Ipod was delayed until the 22nd.

With the 5 gig Ipod being delyed on thier site.. hmmm

Something is going on over there.

CrackedButter
Jan 17, 2003, 03:34 AM
A BIOS update that allows the ipod to read ogg files would be nice.

pmh
Jan 17, 2003, 06:53 AM
What I'd like to see is the ability to record (the lecture) while I'm goofing off listening to something more interesting...

iChan
Jan 17, 2003, 11:27 AM
I would like to see Apple make use of OLED or some other new high res, low power consumption display technologies...

these techs are best used in small devices like mobiles phones and ... IPOD!!!

will
Jan 17, 2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by CrackedButter
A BIOS update that allows the ipod to read ogg files would be nice.

Yes, that would be very nice. Should be quite doable, and I believe Apple are building ogg support into QT (you can already add it yourself).

As has already been suggested audio would be nice. How about date tagging audio and typing it back to iCal when you sync? Record a meeting etc.

HasanDaddy
Jan 17, 2003, 02:00 PM
I'm REALLY tempted to grab a 20 gigger

do you guys think I should hold off for now though?

THANKS!

el_aarono
Jan 17, 2003, 02:27 PM
I know some folks won't be too excited about this but I would like to see an

iPod with a touch sensitive screen and a stylus so calendars, contacts, and

to-do-lists could be updated on the iPod throughout the day. I guess it

would just become a PDA that plays MP3's but it would be much better than

any of the other similar items on the market today.

pmh
Jan 19, 2003, 07:16 AM
Now that would be REAL nice. Trade music with a PB/12,15,17 or other BT enabled iPOD's. Of course these music sources would be auto-discovered using rendezvous, and perhaps advertise what music they were willing to share.... So you walk into a room, and can "see" the other iPOD's via Bluetooth and Rendezvous. An negotiate music transfers with them. All wireless of course.

Oh yeah.

Akira
Jan 19, 2003, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by pmh
Now that would be REAL nice. Trade music with a PB/12,15,17 or other BT enabled iPOD's. Of course these music sources would be auto-discovered using rendezvous, and perhaps advertise what music they were willing to share.... So you walk into a room, and can "see" the other iPOD's via Bluetooth and Rendezvous. An negotiate music transfers with them. All wireless of course.

Oh yeah.
nice idea, but Bluetooth is slower than usb 1.1, so music transfers will take forever (well, not forever, but when you're used to fireweire it's really really really slow)

MacFan25
Jan 19, 2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by el_aarono
I know some folks won't be too excited about this but I would like to see an

iPod with a touch sensitive screen and a stylus so calendars, contacts, and

to-do-lists could be updated on the iPod throughout the day. I guess it

would just become a PDA that plays MP3's but it would be much better than

any of the other similar items on the market today.

Yeah, that would be nice, but who knows how much money that would cost?!?

pianojoe
Jan 19, 2003, 12:35 PM
Sorry if this has been posted before but over here in Germany both Apple distributors I work with (Ingram Micro and Comline) have no more iPods in stock (but for a few Win 10GBs).

This suggest something?

pianojoe
Jan 19, 2003, 12:39 PM
O.K. I urgently need a HD based recording device, and I think MiniDisc sucks. I've waited and waited for the iPod to get that functionality.

I'll order an Archos Jukebox on the spot. I'd rather have upgraded my old faithful 5GB iPod to an up-to-date version, but... Sorry, folks. The chip can do it, why didn't you add the Audio-In jack?

Raiden
Jan 19, 2003, 12:45 PM
I would like to see recording features, more games, and a am/fm radio. Maybe they could let you record the songs you are hearing on the radio. That would be nice.

Tenacious B
Jan 19, 2003, 10:52 PM
Mac OS Rumors has something to say about this. First, the good news:

According to sources outside Apple who are familiar with iPod hardware and software development, Apple already has plans for numerous iPod updates and variations, up to and including video playback capability with a color screen that will cover almost the entire front face of the iPod. However, the more immediate revision will be relatively modest -- storage capacities of up to 60GB, a new enclosure with more customization options, an entry-level price tag of $199 for the 5GB model, and at least one of the following: AAC/AC3 audio playback support, direct audio recording support with a built-in microphone, and greatly increased integration with Apple's iLife/iApps software suite for smooth workflow on any number of host computers when you connect your iPod.

Next, the bad news:

New iPods are due out in March, according to internal documents acquired by Rumors yesterday. See our previous updates for features on this modest update; this summer, we will see a new Digital Lifestyle Device (DLD) based on the iPod design but targeted at video applications rather than music. Another entirely new DLD may premiere in early Spring.

HasanDaddy
Jan 20, 2003, 12:19 AM
I think Apple is pulling a fast one on MACOSRUMORS

March is too far away.............especially with all the clearances and low shortages taking place

if new iPods are coming out soon, then why would they be waiting until March

On the other hand - i could just be anxious to buy a new one

cliffm
Jan 20, 2003, 12:23 AM
I agree!

I totaly think it will be next week.

Especially after hearing my Ipod was delayed. I dont think they would manufacture any more of the old ones if they ran out of stock....

HasanDaddy
Jan 20, 2003, 07:59 AM
cliff.....I'm WAY TOO anxious to grab a 20 gig......I'm glad you agre ;)

How long is your delay, and when did you order it?

bennetsaysargh
Jan 20, 2003, 08:35 AM
my uncle has a source and he says that around january 25th there will be iPod updates.all dropping $100 and a 40GB or 60GB may be introduced. i'v been saving up for one so i'm really happy.

i hope they put bluetooth in them and maybe other cool things to compete with my brother's origional 20GB.

HasanDaddy
Jan 20, 2003, 08:43 AM
Looks like you can't order a 5 gig iPod anymore:

"$299.00

6.5 ounces
2.4 x 4.0 x .78 in.
Apple Earphones
AC Adapter
FireWire cable
PC FireWire adapter

Due to significant holiday demand, the 5GB iPod is temporarily unavailable. "

Holiday demand?? PLEEEEZ APPLE! Just bring on the new ones!!!!

superkatalog
Jan 20, 2003, 10:07 AM
here in switzerland the shipping-times are 4-6 weeks for the 5GB and the 10GB. for the 20GB 2-3 days...looks pretty promising...

AWishForNoOne
Jan 20, 2003, 10:33 AM
apple will phase out the 5 gb ipods and offer them in a 10gb and 20 gb variety only. a higher capacity one will be available but i highly doubt that it will be available immedietly. the 10gb will drop down to $299 and the 20 gb will drop down to $399. a higher capacity will be introduced in march. the iPod will ship with new software introducing three games and a simplistic way of writing appointments and adresses with the scroll pad so as to keep the iPod from becoming a full, fledged iPDA.

James.Paul
Jan 20, 2003, 05:37 PM
Just tried using our Apple Store in the UK and found this:

20gig 1-3 days
10gig 4-6 weeks
5 gig 4-6 weeks

Looks promising!

cliffm
Jan 20, 2003, 05:57 PM
I was told it might ship the 22nd, but that is not a definate date.

HasanDaddy
Jan 20, 2003, 07:51 PM
so its going to have writing capabilities?

What about video capabilities?

For Heaven's sake Apple - just introduce it now!

Tomasz
Jan 20, 2003, 09:33 PM
Hey cliffm,
Did you buy it from Dell? I ordered almost 2 weeks ago... and it was delayed twice. I canceled the order now because they have such terrible service. Some of my pc-buddies love dell, and say it has excellent service, but now I know for a fact that it does not.

How can they show that the ipod ships in 1-2 days, when they KNOW that they don't have it... and won't for a few weeks?

Hopefully, I can find a better price somewhere else... but if not, I'll be back to them when the new pods come out (at which time there hopefully won't be a delay).

Tomasz

cliffm
Jan 20, 2003, 09:37 PM
Tomasz,

It was an employee order from apple, so it gets the last priority.
:mad:

melchior
Jan 20, 2003, 09:52 PM
just for reference, the japan apple store has no 5gb now either but no BS about holiday demand. :D

just 'out of stock'

Akira
Jan 21, 2003, 03:44 AM
"Wegens de grote vraag tijdens de decembermaand is de iPod van 5 GB tijdelijk niet verkrijgbaar."

(translation: Due to heavy demands during December, the 5 GB is temporarily unavailable)

But the 10Gigs are shipping within 1-3 days...

HasanDaddy
Jan 21, 2003, 07:08 AM
So I guess the prices on the 10 and 20 gigs are being lowered???

GOOD BYE 5 GIG AND SCROLL WHEEL!!!!

gixer750
Jan 21, 2003, 07:48 AM
Check out Macwarehouse in the UK. (www.macwarehouse.co.uk)
My 20Gig was ordered yesterday and is now charging under my desk - and boy is it tactile. Cannot stop playing with it!

No drop in price though, still 400 notes *ouch*.

More portable digital devices from Apple would be good, but given the proliferation multimedia devices (like my tasty NX70V) and 3G mobys, Apple will have a fight on their hands. It'll have to be fast, wireless (as mentioned earlier, BT is dog slow [and used mostly in Europe and US] whereas 802.11b/g is quick, but only taken up en masse in the far east) and internet enabled, long on battery life, colour [always a battery killer] and expandable. What they need is a solid state mini Powerbook - 'Newton2K' or the next generation Treo [yup, you're right].

Keep 'em coming Apple...

vanillamike
Jan 21, 2003, 10:33 AM
I was just looking at the apple web store and you can no longer buy a 5 GB, they removed the buttons. I am not sure if this has been mentioned already I just noticed it.

Also I was wondering since the 40 GB drives aren't set to be released for a couple more months do you think with the droping of the 5 GB model there will be a more functional 20 GB model released soon, so that there will still be three pricing options?

Mike

P.S. I want a 20 GB iPod so bad!!!!!!!!!!

smegdude
Jan 21, 2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Tomasz
Did you buy it from Dell? I ordered almost 2 weeks ago... and it was delayed twice. I canceled the order now because they have such terrible service. Some of my pc-buddies love dell, and say it has excellent service, but now I know for a fact that it does not.
Tomasz [/B]

hello, its dell.. amazing service when compared with other pc suppliers. But when compared with apple nothing comes close.

I'm just restraining myself right now, i was wondering if apple would really release a new iPod on the 25th as that is a saturday. I don't see anything happening then, but maybe a superbowl release could be on the cards.

I figure that if the suppliers get some new ipods in before they are updated then i'm just gonna buy a 20gb. I'm currently stuck with a casette player (mp3 player died :mad: )