Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/New..._RTRIDST_0_SCIENCE-ENVIRONMENT-WARMING-DC.XML

All five of the hottest years since modern record-keeping began in the 1890s occurred within the last decade, according to analysis by NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies.

In descending order, the years with the highest global average annual temperatures were 2005, 1998, 2002, 2003 and 2004, NASA said in a statement.

"It's fair to say that it probably is the warmest since we have modern meteorological records," said Drew Shindell of the NASA institute in New York City.

"Using indirect measurements that go back farther, I think it's even fair to say that it's the warmest in the last several thousand years."

Oh good. :rolleyes: :(

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I was chilly last year though.

I imagine this means that another ice age is coming as a backlash. I hate snow, let alone ice.

Unfortunately, it's unlikely that anything will change quickly enough to really help. It's going to take a disaster to make people change on a large scale.

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
bousozoku said:
Unfortunately, it's unlikely that anything will change quickly enough to really help. It's going to take a disaster to make people change on a large scale.

NB: A global disaster. I don't think Katrina has had any lasting affect on people's behaviour, but everyone terms it a disaster.

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
bousozoku said:
I was chilly last year though.

I imagine this means that another ice age is coming as a backlash. I hate snow, let alone ice.

I LOVE snow. it has been a terrible winter in terms of snow around here, not nearly enough! I want a few feet on the ground! :mad:

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
dops7107 said:
NB: A global disaster. I don't think Katrina has had any lasting affect on people's behaviour, but everyone terms it a disaster.

Do you mean a lasting effect on greenhouse gases? Because global warming didn't cause a Category 3 hurricane to hit New Orleans.

People in New Orleans seem just as out of it as usual though. Their mayor may just be the dumbest elected official in the United States.

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
aloofman said:
Do you mean a lasting effect on greenhouse gases? Because global warming didn't cause a Category 3 hurricane to hit New Orleans.

People in New Orleans seem just as out of it as usual though. Their mayor may just be the dumbest elected official in the United States.

I mean a lasting effect on people's behaviour. I think it is hard to blame Katrina on global warming, but it did at least get people temporarily to reflect on the effects of a more unpredictable and extreme climate. I just worry that it will be easily forgotten, that's all.

Besides, population growth and energy depletion is the biggest impending disaster coming up... and that one will be global!

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
This winter has been really warm too, unfortunately. I love the snow and cold.

Here in Toronto, last Friday the temperature reached 12c!!!! Normally it should be well under freezing. This isn't an isolated incident either...

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
aloofman said:

That is great - perhaps they should hold a poll or survey for the dumbest elected official in the US - that would be some interesting reading for sure ;)

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Talking about George Bush we are told by George there isnt any proof of global warming, and ignore that strongest hurricane season on record. The president has said so and he is never ever ever wrong on anything. There is no global warming.:rolleyes:

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
Dont Hurt Me said:
Talking about George Bush we are told by George there isnt any proof of global warming, and ignore that strongest hurricane season on record. The president has said so and he is never ever ever wrong on anything. There is no global warming.:rolleyes:

Actually Dubya has said publicly that global warming is real. He just thinks that any strong measures to address it would hurt his corporate friends.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Don't forget that records are only kept as far back as like 1910 so Im sure that this wasn't the worst hurricane season ever just that anyone knows about. I love how Bush gets the blame for everything that goes wrong in the world, sure he's not the best but people also have to take responsibility for there own lives and actions. As for New Orleans maybe the mayor should take some of the blame but he is way to quick to pass the buck and never take responsibility.

That must be a record only 9 posts for this to get political. No need to count posts in this thread.:rolleyes:

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
Actually, aside from the political maneuvering around global warming, what really concerns me more is a general feeling I get that a lot of folks seem to believe that global warming is inevitable instead of preventable. It's obviously too late to undo the damage we've already done, but to plough forward with the assumption that we shouldn't mitigate greenhouse gasses because global warming is already happening and it's too expensive of a problem to fix - that's disturbing.

Although when we finally run out of useful oil (which I think is going to happen in the next 50 years - so in a bunch of our lifetimes), this will stop at least one source of emissions. It will probably also make the plastics recycling industry really, really profitable.

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
I love snow and cold and so far this winter has sucked. Aside from a minute snowfall in december it hasint really snowed here in maryland since. Recently it has been very warm for this time of the year.
The weather sure is freaky, just last night we had Rainfall, Hail, Snow along with lightning and thunder! :confused:

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I'm in Denver on business and it's been 60 degrees here the past 2 days. Springtime in January.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
dops7107 said:

Of course, but it'll be the fact that ice cream, frozen custard and yogurt won't stay frozen long enough to eat it in a cone that will get the public's attention to the problem. :p Now, that's a global disaster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.