PDA

View Full Version : If you could go back in time...

FoxyKaye
Jan 25, 2006, 11:33 AM
...what silly, strange or fun thing would you do? When and where would you do it?

There's of course lots of discussion about preventing wars, plague, assassinations, etc. But, I thought it might be fun to see what non-serious stuff people would do.

For example, I would take a DVD player, projector and sound setup back to the 1920s (when movies were just taking off in theaters) along with the following DVDs: Alien, Aliens, Pulp Fiction, The Silence of the Lambs, the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, and maybe the Star Wars movies.

Since at the time, people were just experiencing black and white movies - and some couldn't handle the projection (i.e. people would run out of the theater when a train was moving toward them on screen, thinking it was "real"), I thought it would be fun to see what would happen with movies in color, with heavy CGI, and really intense and scary scenes. Would people have complete psychotic breaks in the theater? I'd set up shop in a small theater near Times Square and let the fun begin...:D

iBlue
Jan 25, 2006, 11:40 AM
i'd go back and buy apple stock in the 80's or 90's. ;) then i'd travel back even futher and bring a powerbook, a digital camera and various electronics and freak people out. then i'd play music like Eminem, Ministry, Korn or something for all those dorks who had a hissy fit over the Beatles and Elvis... really give them something to worry about. :p
since we're being silly.

Doctor Q
Jan 25, 2006, 12:28 PM
I'd go back in time, pick up a copy of Sports Almanac 1955, and save it to share with Doc Brown someday.

And I'd install webcams all over the house to watch everything we do, so we could at last find out what happened to that picnic cooler that we somehow lost. We replaced it, but we've always been curious how something that big could just disappear into thin air.

Finally, I'd walk in just as Apple Computer and Apple Corps were negotiating their original agreement and give them the benefit of my knowledge of the future.

Blue Velvet
Jan 25, 2006, 12:32 PM
I'd go back and see my god-grandfather just to tell him that everything would turn out OK with me in the end.

yellow
Jan 25, 2006, 12:34 PM
I'd tape some LVB concertos.

I'd give Jesus a wedgie.

I'd give let Julius Ceaser know that he should be "sick" on March 15th.

CompUser
Jan 25, 2006, 12:50 PM
I would have picked a private school over the high school I am currently attending.

Jesus
Jan 25, 2006, 01:01 PM
I'd give Jesus a wedgie.

Hey

Seriously though, I'd go back the Great Depresion and buy loads of stocks of companies that survived it, and become fantasically wealthy, or I'd be like Forrest Gump and buy some early Apple stock from the late 70's.

Mmm.

2nyRiggz
Jan 25, 2006, 01:06 PM
I would go back just to kiss the feet of Jesus(son of God) maybe slap Bill Gates and take over his company when it was just an idea and put some money into Apple...i would be making money either way:)...yesss!

Bless

blackfox
Jan 25, 2006, 01:19 PM
I would arm myself with a Canon XL2, loads of lenses, mikes and batteries (plus one hell of an interpreter) and do the following:

1. Find and interview Jesus (and disciples)
2. Find and interview Moses
3. Find and interview Muhammed
4. Find and interview Buddha
5. Find and interview Plato
6. Find and interview Aristotle

7. Repeat with many great figures of antiquity
8. Try to find Atlantis
9. Film that day in Dallas to see who shot JFK
10. Take footage from 9/11 (and beyond) and release it to the media (obviously beforehand).

11. Convince the Titanic to take another route.

XNine
Jan 25, 2006, 02:17 PM
I'd go back to feudal Japan and become the first white (and only) white Samurai. Where after I kicked the hell out of the Shogunate, I would then build a home and have 8 women living with me, all whom would be my wives.

Either that or I'd kick Elvis in the nuts for stealing other people's music, and inform him and the world that Johnny Cash is superior.

freeny
Jan 25, 2006, 02:23 PM
Id go back and stop my now deceased mother in law from smoking. And myself for that matter.

floyde
Jan 25, 2006, 02:29 PM
I'd jam with Jimi Hendrix, of course! Then I'd go way back to prehistoric times in order to establish the first civilization on earth: "Floyderia" or "Floydopotamia". I'm not sure how I would accomplish that though.

2nyRiggz
Jan 25, 2006, 02:37 PM
^sleep with as much cave woman as you can....multiplying is the key.

Bless

ejb190
Jan 25, 2006, 03:19 PM
Oh, the possibilities!!!

I would love to see the look on Gustave Eiffel's face when he finds out his Tower (which was supposed to be temporary) is still standing in 2005.

How about bringing Leonardo Da Vinchi back to today to help you with your school art project?

Stalk young Beethoven while constantly whistling "Dah Dah Dah Dahhhhhhhhhh" (Mr. B's 5th)?

Or what would have happened if you buzzed the Wright Brothers first filght in a F-117?

Mr. Durden
Jan 25, 2006, 03:25 PM
I'd go back and try to meet Walt Disney and somehow get in on the ground floor of his company to take part in the creation of Disneyland and Disneyworld and all those classic movies. And I'd make him stop smoking.

3rdpath
Jan 25, 2006, 03:29 PM
i'd go back to the mid 1800's to hang out with emerson and thoreau.

i'd then zip to the early 1900's to witness the greene brothers designing and building their architectural masterpieces.

then off to 1923 to witness gershwin's premiere of rhapsody in blue.

then off to the late 1940's to tour the west coast in a beautiful town and country woody convertible. how i'd love to see the coast before the developers made a mess of things.

off to 1960's london to see the beatles.

then to woodstock.

then to the late 70's to somehow mend things with my father, get my brother the help he needed and play one last round of golf with my grandfather.

then off to 2000 to witness the birth of my first child again.

njmac
Jan 25, 2006, 03:35 PM
First, I would go back to the night of my little brothers fatal car accident and stop those kids from driving.

for fun I would like to go back to the 1800's and hang out with some (friendly) Indians.

Doctor Q
Jan 25, 2006, 03:44 PM
I'd go back 4 days and take that three of hearts off the discard pile instead of drawing a new card. That way, my wife wouldn't have won that Gin Rummy game.

FYI, the power was out. We had to resort to playing cards by candlelight with no MacRumors, no TV, no CD player, and no computer games available. :eek:

yellow
Jan 25, 2006, 03:49 PM
FYI, the power was out. We had to resort to playing cards by candlelight with no MacRumors, no TV, no CD player, and no computer games available. :eek:

Hmm.. just as if you'd gone back in time to the 18th century. :eek: :D

MarkCollette
Jan 25, 2006, 04:50 PM
I'd go back in time, and find a bunch of crazy guys who yell crap on the corner. Then, I'd tell them all about major events in their future. So, every day, everyone would hear the truth, but dismiss it as insanity.

I'd go back to when things started going wrong between me and the love of my life, and sit us all down and have a serious talk.

I'd go back a hundred years, and deposit one gold coin into a bank account.

I'd go back to the 60s and make a space ship, and land on the moon right before the Americans, and leave a lot of cheesy "alien artifacts" lying about. Included would be an abundance of anal probes, with crude stick figure drawings explaining their use.

EGT
Jan 25, 2006, 07:21 PM
I'd go back and find the guy who killed John Lennon and break his legs.

Then I'd go back to early Steve/Woz days and show Steve the new Macbook Pro; "We want AT LEAST 2.0Ghz Core duo, Steve. Yes I said TWO GIGAHERTZ"

Or maybe the Powermac would be a better example; "Don't lie, Steve. Just tell us, you're never planning to break 3.0GHz." At that point, he'd collapse. :p

Then I'd go back and hunt down the Wright brothers with some modern day aircraft in my pocket. Assuming we've mastered time travel, we've probably designed some kind of "debigulator" as well. :p

Then I'd go back and pet a Dinosaur. Shrink it and take it home. All in time for tea.

"How do you like your eggs, Rex?" :D

katie ta achoo
Jan 25, 2006, 07:30 PM
I'd punch Stamitz in the face.

I'd assume Paul Samuelson's identity, then accept the Nobel prize for him. Then, I'd rip off my mask, and laugh at them all for giving the Nobel prize to me. I would then, jump into my time machine, go back to 2006, and sell the Nobel prize on eBay for $$.

That'd be awesome.

Phat_Pat
Jan 25, 2006, 10:38 PM
meet jesus

watch a gladiator battle at the coliseum.. and film it... muhahahaha

do the moon walk and play KoRn in front of the settlers of salem

smack a few people

and tell my friend that she would ruin her life with one choice... and try to prevent it.

Les Kern
Jan 25, 2006, 10:44 PM
...what silly, strange or fun thing would you do? When and where would you do it?

Go back and kill your father so we won't get any more stoopid posts. :)
Actually? Nothing. No regrets. What made me today is what I did in the past, stupid or otherwise.
Okay, maybe I'd buy $10,000 worth of Dell stock in 1990.

Les Kern
Jan 25, 2006, 10:50 PM
1. Find and interview Jesus (and disciples)
2. Find and interview Moses
3. Find and interview Muhammed
4. Find and interview Buddha
5. Find and interview Plato
6. Find and interview Aristotle
7. Repeat with many great figures of antiquity
Better start boning up on Aramaic, Ancient (not modern) Greek, Ito, and Arabic dude.
8. Try to find Atlantis
You won't find it.
9. Film that day in Dallas to see who shot JFK
Oswald did it. Quit watching Oliver Stone movies.
10. Take footage from 9/11 (and beyond) and release it to the media
To what end? I'd rather try to STOP it. Then plant the camera in Bush's office to get proof of the NEXT lie for war with Iraq.
11. Convince the Titanic to take another route.
They would toss you in the brig for being a nut-case, then you'll drown like a caged rat.

I mean this in the best of spirits! :)

ibook30
Jan 25, 2006, 10:54 PM
Offer to buy DuChamps urinal for 50 bucks

Then use it....

homerjward
Jan 25, 2006, 10:57 PM
i actually had a dream the other night about bringing a digital slr back to the romans and explaining it to them. i was having a hard time because they didnt have ANY sort of camera, or computer or anything to compare it to.

i'd probably:
shoot hitler
stop jesus from being crucified, just to see what would happen
go to the premiere of star wars
buy apple stock for dirt cheap
many, many concerts
etc.

emmawu
Jan 25, 2006, 11:08 PM
See the Beatles again. (I saw them four times) I was really young and would like to experience it again. It was the best.

2nyRiggz
Jan 25, 2006, 11:14 PM
stop jesus from being crucified, just to see what would
etc.

If you did that one then there would be no world....so i dont think u would want to get involved with that one.

Bless

watcher2001
Jan 25, 2006, 11:15 PM
Incredibly boring but I would just jump back a few hours with the winning powerball numbers.

BearRanger
Jan 25, 2006, 11:22 PM
Hmm...is the point to make yourself better/richer, or to make the world better?

Assuming I'd be reasonably invulnerable to the attacks of the natives, I would:

Travel to the 5th century or so and prevent the formation of the Roman Catholic Church, and remove certain people and their ideas from history. The idea is to prevent the dark ages from happening in Europe.

Teach scientific methodology to the indigenous peoples of each region of the planet. Also teach them that women are just as valueable to a society as men, and are to be treated as equals.

Advance in time a few centuries and teach the principles of conservation of resources and population control.

And finally, I would teach them this:

homerjward
Jan 25, 2006, 11:27 PM
If you did that one then there would be no world....so i dont think u would want to get involved with that one.

Bless
why wouldnt there be a world? wasnt there a world before he was crucified?

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 25, 2006, 11:28 PM
I hope that I don't sound bitter (for those that have followed the saga of my recent life); but I would not have fallen to the charms of my ex some 14 years now, ago.

This thread is giving me the creeps in some sort of strange way. The song by Cher of the about the same title is what my ex-fiance was our favorite song after I broke up with my Gay lover and proposed to her, after a "reasonable" amount of time.

Qoxiivi
Jan 26, 2006, 05:11 AM
I'd take back all the words that'd hurt you, and you'd stay. And if I could reach the stars? Well, that's a different story entirely...

Flenz
Jan 26, 2006, 05:39 AM
I would kill one of my ancestors

Flenz

Qoxiivi
Jan 26, 2006, 06:59 AM
This thread is giving me the creeps in some sort of strange way. The song by Cher of the about the same title is what my ex-fiance was our favorite song after I broke up with my Gay lover and proposed to her, after a "reasonable" amount of time.

I'd take back all the words that'd hurt you, and you'd stay. And if I could reach the stars? Well, that's a different story entirely...

Wow, I didn't even read the post above my original response. Creepy indeed.

rdowns
Jan 26, 2006, 07:08 AM
I wouldn't have eaten 2 of the free tacos the hotel I'm staying in provided during last night's Happy Hour. Thankfully, housekeeping replenished the TP yesterday.

Abstract
Jan 26, 2006, 07:12 AM
I would go back 11 seconds and prevent my chocolate ice cream from dripping on my light-coloured pants. :(

Then I'd go and do the regular: Kill Hitler, kill Stalin, and bring a bunch of the latest technology and software back to the past so that peop......erm......"Canadian" researchers and inventors can have a huge head start in the world of technology! :p I'd give the same stuff to Japan and South Korea as well, since they both kick ass when it comes to this sort of thing.

Mr. Anderson
Jan 26, 2006, 07:53 AM
and bring a bunch of the latest technology and software back to the past so that peop......erm......"Canadian" researchers and inventors can have a huge head start in the world of technology! :p

You mean Soviets :D

The Avro Arrow - considered one of the best planes of its day was designed and being built in Canada - until the project was shut down. Only a little later did an almost exact copy of the thing show up as the Mig-29 ;) There was a Discovery Channel show on this - quite interesting.

I'd go back and take lots of pics all through out history. Going back too far and language would become a huge problem. You'd have to go someplace remote in Italy for a while and learn ancient latin, then go in and see Rome at its peak. So the same would go for seeing Jesus, or any other ancient figures. And you better bring some protection with you, I don't think just a gun would do.

Actually, the best thing would be to go to the future, get some really hi-tech/sci-fi like items and then go back in time so the language issue wouldn't be there and you'd have an antigrav suit so you could fly around instead of spending months/years traveling around the world.

D

David L.
Jan 26, 2006, 09:53 AM
Going to Memphis & shake Hands /w Elvis http://www.filmmusikwelt.de/Oliver/Smilies/biggrin.gifhttp://www.filmmusikwelt.de/Oliver/Smilies/biggrin.gif

MacFan782040
Jan 26, 2006, 10:12 AM
I think something WAY cooler would be to go into the future.

We all know what happened in the past...so why not go into the future and bring something back from then?

erickkoch
Jan 26, 2006, 10:28 AM
I'd go back in time, steal as many dinasaur eggs as I could find (I'd probably have to be well armed to avoid getting eaten), bring them back and start my own Jurassic Park.

aquajet
Jan 26, 2006, 10:36 AM
I'd go back to 2001 and bitch slap the salesman that sold me that rotten Volkswagen. :mad:

Doctor Q
Jan 26, 2006, 10:54 AM
I need to borrow the time machine for another of my critically important errands back in time.

floriflee
Jan 26, 2006, 11:05 AM
I would have made my then-boyfriend (now husband) work harder at talking me into buying a Mac instead of that stupid Toshiba.....

Sushi7
Jan 26, 2006, 11:59 AM
Hi,

If I could go back in time, I would go back to the day I was born.. Nobody in the world remembers when they were born. If I could go back in time and remember it for my whole life, I would do it this second now.

Sushi7

BearRanger
Jan 26, 2006, 03:59 PM
I think something WAY cooler would be to go into the future.

We all know what happened in the past...so why not go into the future and bring something back from then?

Actually, we don't know what happened in the past. As people often say, "the victor writes the history". There's a lot we can learn by directly examining past events rather than just believing the filtered knowledge we've received.

As for the future, that one's an interesting situation. If the future is better than the present, would you come back and risk ruining it? And if it's worse, would you risk being considered insane to "fix" it?

Chundles
Jan 26, 2006, 04:28 PM
I would go back 11 seconds and prevent my chocolate ice cream from dripping on my light-coloured pants. :(

Then I'd go and do the regular: Kill Hitler, kill Stalin, and bring a bunch of the latest technology and software back to the past so that peop......erm......"Canadian" researchers and inventors can have a huge head start in the world of technology! :p I'd give the same stuff to Japan and South Korea as well, since they both kick ass when it comes to this sort of thing.

You do realise that by killing Hitler and Stalin you would also set back the development of most modern technology by many years. Think about it, at the start of WWII we were flying propellor driven planes, 6 years later there were jets. WWII gave us radar, jet propulsion, better communications.

War is horrible but better technology is one of the few good things to arise from conflict.

I wouldn't actually go back and change anything, you just cannot be sure of the eventual outcome. I would go back and witness a few things, sneakily take a few photos too. Oh, and just to mess with people's minds, I'd take an iPod back and leave it in Tutankhamun's tomb.

Jaffa Cake
Jan 26, 2006, 04:37 PM
You do realise that by killing Hitler and Stalin you would also set back the development of most modern technology by many years.Plus, there would be millions of people alive in the world who wouldn't be here if the War had been fought. In the early 1980s, one of them goes out for a drive and runs over the young Abstract, killing him instantly.

That means you aren't able to kill Hitler and Stalin, because you never got to travel back in time, which means the fella who killed you will never exist in the first place... think about it for a while and it'll make your head hurt.

takao
Jan 26, 2006, 04:55 PM
You mean Soviets :D

The Avro Arrow - considered one of the best planes of its day was designed and being built in Canada - until the project was shut down. Only a little later did an almost exact copy of the thing show up as the Mig-29 ;) There was a Discovery Channel show on this - quite interesting.

sure you mean the MiG 29 ? ;) no matter how you turn the avro arrow (i found on the internet) it never seems to look like a MiG 29

Abstract
Jan 26, 2006, 05:04 PM
I'd go back 9 months before Eminem was born and give his parents a bunch of condoms.

Ok, that was mean. ;)

devilot
Jan 26, 2006, 05:10 PM
I'd have waited a couple more months to buy my iMac G5 so I could have one w/ iSight & FrontRow. :p

I'd get my parents to buy tons of Google shares.

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 26, 2006, 09:48 PM
Actually, we don't know what happened in the past. As people often say, "the victor writes the history". There's a lot we can learn by directly examining past events rather than just believing the filtered knowledge we've received.

Well said. Witnessing history as it is made is awesome. In some ways the internet may change that adage though. As long as there is a record of all the websites and blogs, the real feeling and truth of history will be a little clearer to see.

As for the future, that one's an interesting situation. If the future is better than the present, would you come back and risk ruining it? And if it's worse, would you risk being considered insane to "fix" it?

Interesting thought here. I like Richard Bach's concept of time from his book "One". That there are paths in time. For each decision, there is a different branch. Sort of explored in the TV show "Sliders".

With this concept of time, we would then just be seeing and living another branch of time.

You do realise that by killing Hitler and Stalin you would also set back the development of most modern technology by many years. Think about it, at the start of WWII we were flying propellor driven planes, 6 years later there were jets. WWII gave us radar, jet propulsion, better communications.

War is horrible but better technology is one of the few good things to arise from conflict.

I wouldn't actually go back and change anything, you just cannot be sure of the eventual outcome. I would go back and witness a few things, sneakily take a few photos too. Oh, and just to mess with people's minds, I'd take an iPod back and leave it in Tutankhamun's tomb.

If time is linear, with just one outcome, then you are right. Forget "radar, jet propulsion, better communications"; the development of the V2 rocket eventually lead us to the moon and beyond. We would not have teflon or velcro, or even maybe the computers we are now using. :eek:

sure you mean the MiG 29 ? ;) no matter how you turn the avro arrow (i found on the internet) it never seems to look like a MiG 29

Doing some searching on the net, the general feeling is that the Mig-25 too a lot from the Arrow. Glad to see that Bombardier still has allowed a Canadian presence in aircraft manufacture.

After my experiences flying with Flyi, and their CRJ-200's, I would choose any flight on a CRJ-200, the newer CRJ-700, and brand new CRJ-900. For prop service their Q series (the based on the old Dash-8) was a comfortable ride.

OutThere
Jan 26, 2006, 10:30 PM
After going back to 1969 and investing $50,000 in the Quantum Fund (look that one up), I'd do a number of things. (I've been thinking on this for ages...time travel was my biggest fascination as a kid).

1) Visit Rome and hear people speaking Latin as it was meant to be spoken.

2) Bring several "special" cat pedigrees back to the ancient Egyptians...somehow I think they'd appreciate that. :D

3) Witness Tiananmen Square at its maximum capacity.

4) Spend a year in the time of King Arthur. I don't think any of us would be able to handle any more than that in that time.

5) See a mammoth.

6) See a T-Rex.

7) Visit Henry Ford's first assembly line.

8) Happen in upon the signings of the US Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution.

9) Blow down the fences around Auschwitz/Birkenau.

10) Bring a modern-day video about the Vietnam War to concerned parties. Make them watch it as many times as necessary.

Obviously there would have to be some fun things involved...like bringing a sports almanac back 15 years and betting on the exact scores of each and every game, or chilling out with homies...like Alexander the Great. :p

Now, the biggest thing about time travel is the question of limits...what are the rules? Are you there only as a copy of your real self, or would you be taken back as your true self. What happens to the time you came from? Do you leave your real self behind in a paused reality? Does reality continue without you? What happens if you see yourself? Would it be possible to see yourself? Would you exist as a duplicate of yourself? DAMMIT I WANT ANSWERS :D

Bottom line if I ever managed to time travel, I'd do nothing but hop to different time periods and see just how it was back then. Nobody can truly know how life was like, say 200 years ago...*frustrated at my inability to visit past centuries*

stubeeef
Jan 27, 2006, 06:53 AM
do what I just did, come back to this very moment and type a post in MR that time travel is no better than flying USAir, your bags get lost, you have to buy a new pair of finger nail clippers when you get here, security lines are long when comets are forecast to hit earth, and the food in the teleport facitlity is still crap and now costs thousands of dollars!

The worst part is they can never seem to get the date and location right, last week I was going to travel back to watch Newton get smacked by an apple, when I ended up in an early enema study in the 1800's.

The best thing I did was go back and tighten a screw on Apollo 11 before launch so that things went well, I keep trying to get back to Apollo 13, but keep ending up in Athens.....just remember to get a good time travel agent!

Mr. Anderson
Jan 27, 2006, 07:20 AM

Sorry - Mig 25 :D

http://www.globalaircraft.org/planes/cf-105_avro_arrow.pl

http://www.globalaircraft.org/planes/mig-25_foxbat.pl

D

Mr. Anderson
Jan 27, 2006, 07:23 AM
6) See a T-Rex.

From very far away :D

Going back and seeing the dinosaurs might be interesting - but what if you brought back a ancient plague - or even something that was benign back then, but something that would wreak havoc today....

D

stubeeef
Jan 27, 2006, 07:49 AM
just take one of these on a prehistoric safari, I have a few times, t-rex are a lot like deer when you hunt with one of these...
http://www.globalaircraft.org/planes/su-27_flanker.pl

Mr. Anderson
Jan 27, 2006, 08:01 AM
just take one of these on a prehistoric safari, I have a few times, t-rex are a lot like deer when you hunt with one of these...
http://www.globalaircraft.org/planes/su-27_flanker.pl

You'd be much better off with one of these (http://www.globalaircraft.org/photos/planephotos/uh-60_2.jpg) - that way you wouldn't have to worry about a run way :D

And if you got a video tape of a bunch of them on a kill, ouch, that would be nuts...

D

stubeeef
Jan 27, 2006, 08:11 AM
helicopters are very unreliable, and parts are hard to get.

So far time machines always blank out the recorded media, something about the magnetic fields are something, whatever.

T-Rex bbq's are not as tasty when the meat is fried by a tow missle.

Of course there are other health risks when using spent Uranium rounds too.

For a couple of trillion $$ I can help arrange a trip to show ya.

Les Kern
Jan 27, 2006, 08:25 AM
This reminds me of a book called "The Man Who Folded Himself" by David Gerrold. (FYI: He's the same guy that wrote the Star Trek "Tribbles" episode) In the book a young man inherits a belt from an uncle that allows him to travel in time. It's a really intersesting twist on time paradox stories you might have seen. The twist I will not reveal just in case you DO want to read it... it's worth a look for sure.

Doctor Q
Jan 27, 2006, 11:09 AM
The worst part is they can never seem to get the date and location right, last week I was going to travel back to watch Newton get smacked by an apple, when I ended up in an early enema study in the 1800's.There's a slim chance that you are pulling our leg about this and aren't really a time traveler, but I'll take your word for it.

However, you reminded me that I have something similar to report.

This photo of me is from the Koishikawa Botanical Gardens in Tokyo (run by the University of Tokyo). The tree I'm next to was planted from a graft of the apple tree in Isaac Newton's back yard!

Not only that, but the grapevine behind me is from an offshoot of the grapevine used by Gregor Mendel, the Austrian geneticist!

We didn't know these were in this garden until we ran into them while wandering the paths there. Nothing was mentioned about them in our tourist books. Our mouths dropped open when we found them (and signs explaining what they are) as we walked by. We could easily have missed them. It was quite a thrill to feel connected to these great scientists.

And it really did feel like we had gone back in time.