PDA

View Full Version : Client insists I use FrontPage

Chacala_Nayarit
Jan 25, 2006, 05:51 PM
Like the title says...:rolleyes:

Says he likes the dis-organized look of the index page. Well, whatever the customer wants is cool with me.

http://ldelectric.com

and

http://lakes1865.com

zimv20
Jan 25, 2006, 05:56 PM
those are the old designs, yes?

belvdr
Jan 25, 2006, 06:39 PM
Use Frontpage 1.0 and surprise them with static HTML. :)

geese
Jan 25, 2006, 06:58 PM

Says he likes the dis-organized look of the index page. Well, whatever the customer wants is cool with me.

http://ldelectric.com

and

http://lakes1865.com

**Shiver** I've had to work with Frontpage 2000 on a crappy Compaq Windows 98 machine for 2 whole years for a companies intranet.

Seeing that first webpage reminded me of other staff writing awful intranet pages, insisting on aligning objects with the space key, rather then using tables. Urgh.

At least he's not insisting you use templates!

Oh, on link http://lakes1865.com you might want to try and get those crappy images optimised- it took a fail while to load on my broadband connection.

Nuc
Jan 25, 2006, 07:01 PM
Well the web pages aren't the greatest by any standard. I'm not sure if they would care for you posting their websites on a forum and then talking negatively about it.

Why not make a website using something else and then show it to them, they might go for it. Anyways hope your passing your drug tests. Best of luck!

Nuc

homerjward
Jan 25, 2006, 08:14 PM
it's good that you managed to find a job

but damn do those web sites suck...

and about frontpage, you can just code it in your favorite application and then edit the meta information in the head to say frontpage. other than the non-awful code they won't be able to tell the difference, even looking at the source.

ChicoWeb
Jan 25, 2006, 08:57 PM
This is a joke right?

londonweb
Jan 26, 2006, 04:56 AM

he's a madman- if I saw that page as a customer I'd think it was a 4th grade school project put together by the 'slow group'. Plus you don't need frontpage to make it look that awful, you could make just as big a balls-up of it using decent software.

Have some design integrity and convince this guy to do it differently.

Motley
Jan 26, 2006, 08:53 AM
Sounds like another entry at http://www.clientcopia.com/

notjustjay
Jan 26, 2006, 09:26 AM
Tell your client that I would NEVER call him, based solely on the crappy image presented by that web page.

And I don't know who Apollo Hosting is, but I would never ever call them either.

Sorry, but on the internet, image is everything.

I started coding HTML (by hand, even) in 1995, and those web pages look crappy even by THOSE standards.

Sorry to be harsh, though I suspect you knew it was coming :)

Chacala_Nayarit
Jan 26, 2006, 06:42 PM
Well the web pages aren't the greatest by any standard. I'm not sure if they would care for you posting their websites on a forum and then talking negatively about it.

Why not make a website using something else and then show it to them, they might go for it. Anyways hope your passing your drug tests. Best of luck!

Nuc

Did I say one thing negative about them? The client said ad verbatim "I like the look of the dis-organized..." :rolleyes:

Oh, and I do not take drug tests as a Web Designer or my other job as an electrician! :P

ITASOR
Jan 26, 2006, 07:22 PM
electrician! :P

heh, i'd sure want you messing with my electricity. hopefully you don't do this when you're high?

Chacala_Nayarit
Jan 26, 2006, 07:45 PM
heh, i'd sure want you messing with my electricity. hopefully you don't do this when you're high?

I do not get high at work, only drink wine at home. Being an electrician (residential wiring) is easy. Now for the last part of the day I am designing. The client wanted me to make photo albums in FrontPage (yikes! :eek: ), but I managed to convince him that Photoshop kicks out good albums. So using a more tolerable shortcut.

I normally use XHTML, CSS, JavaScript, and Photoshop for everything from layout to effects. No tables, ****** code, or crap images.

Les Kern
Jan 26, 2006, 08:26 PM

Since when does the client get to choose the tools? So how about telling a home builder what hammer to use? It's the end product. He is doing nothing for YOUR career by insisting you use **** to build his site. Let some other idiot do it.
Jesus CHRIST that's horrible.

Les Kern
Jan 26, 2006, 08:27 PM
This is a joke right?

I personally didn't think of this... yep, HAS to be. That's one butt-wad of crap pair of sites.

Chacala_Nayarit
Jan 26, 2006, 09:41 PM
Since when does the client get to choose the tools? So how about telling a home builder what hammer to use? It's the end product. He is doing nothing for YOUR career by insisting you use **** to build his site. Let some other idiot do it.
Jesus CHRIST that's horrible.

I am doing some photo galleries, but I could not layout in CSS, although Photoshop was not a bad alternative. The photo galleries are better than the index page. I have free reign over the next site I am doing. The link above (clientopia) has stories of clients dictating the design to the point of the client designing the site, so it's not unheard of in the industry.

Chacala_Nayarit
Jan 30, 2006, 05:40 PM
As simple as this vanilla HTML site should be, every time the owner publishes in FrontPage it ****s up the work I have done. Creating multiple index pages and includes which do not exist. To double the bs, I cannot edit from the hosting cpanel because FrontPage asigns read only to the permisions, therefor forceing me to use FrontPage. uggggggg!!!!!:mad: :rolleyes:

superbovine
Jan 30, 2006, 08:40 PM
shrug, as long as they are paying me for my billable hours; I usually just say "yes sir/madam" then add more billable hours. :D

Chacala_Nayarit
Jan 31, 2006, 02:07 PM
shrug, as long as they are paying me for my billable hours; I usually just say "yes sir/madam" then add more billable hours. :D

Damn straight! :D

bobber205
Jan 31, 2006, 06:49 PM
OMG. That is SO bad...
:o
I can't believe it...

And the central logo must be like 3 megs in size... it STILL hasn't loaded all the way on my computer as of this message...

Sorry dude about having to use Frontpage. :(