Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

TheStreet.com reveals that Apple filed for a trademark on the phrase "Mac Pro" in New Zealand in late 2005.

The November 18th 2005 filing categorizes "Mac Pro" under the classification:

computers; computer hardware; computer software; computer peripherals; notebook computers; laptop computers; tablet computers; computer servers; handheld computers; mobile computers; hard drives; audio speakers; speakers for computers; radios; cameras; video cameras; telephones; mobile telephones; personal digital assistants; electronic organizers; electronic notepads; magnetic data carriers; telephones; mobile phones; computer gaming machines; microprocessors; memories boards; monitors; displays; keyboards; computer input devices; computer cables; modems; printers; parts and accessories for all the aforesaid goods

Apple surprised many in January by rebranding the PowerBook under the name "MacBook Pro". Comments by jobs indicated that Apple wanted to use the "Mac" name in their products and that they were also moving away from the "Power" moniker.

Speculation pointed towards the iBook being renamed as the "MacBook", but this trademark might suggest that Apple was considering replacing "PowerMac" with "Mac Pro".

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
Lame...

I hope this Intel switch works out really well, because I don't like it so far...

The Intel iMac I met at the Apple Store a few days ago couldn't even run iTunes without crashing...

I'm sure something was just wrong with that machine, but not a very good first impression nonetheless...

:eek:

dual64bit

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2004
Ah yes.. The Mac Pro.. the 34th name on the "What should we call the new macs" list.

Perhaps next year we'll see a new TAM, Thirty Anniversary Mac:cool:

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Well, they're certainly covering all the bases. ("All your Mac Pro bases are belong to Apple.")

So we'll have MacBook, MacBook Pro, and Mac Pro. I wonder how long iMac will stay around.

mongoos150

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2005
realityisterror said:
The Intel iMac I met at the Apple Store a few days ago couldn't even run iTunes without crashing...
I can most definitely assure you that most iMac systems are not that way!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

jaredbbauer

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2001
Salt Lake City
Whiners

I love that so many of you percieve that Apple cares what you think. They are working with the masses and i gaurantee that a significant amount of market research went into this decision. And yet you still complain, you gripe, you swear that you are not going to buy a product with "stupid names" and yet you still are avid fans.

I think its funny. But my favorite part has to be that you think that someone cares about your opinion.

just my 2 cents

ps - just like Apple doesn't care about your opinion I don't expect you to care about mine.

anonicon

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2006
Ugh

For all you fans of Mac Pro, MacBook Pro, and whatnot, you can keep them.

I much prefer the grace and smoothness of Powermac, Powerbook, and iBook - the same smoothness that Apple computers have over their Windows and Linux competitors.

While names have nothing to do with the performance of the hardware, to say they bear no relationship to the overall attractiveness of the product is as 'correct' as saying a Maserati would be just as attractive with the name 'Fast Italian Car.'

gardenhead

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2006
They almost have it.

I think promac would've sounded better. I don't think it really matters though, everyone called the powermacs G5s around here anyway. Maybe they'll call them the Core duos. Who knows.

surroundfan

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
With apologies to E.J. Thribb (17 1/2):

So, farewell then
Apple PowerMac.

"We apologise for toasting
the Pentium II
processor in public"
was one of
your catchphrases.

"Think different"
was another.

It seems that
Steve Jobs has.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Then it's settled.

Laptops: MacBook and MacBook Pro
Desktops: iMac, Mac Pro

"Power" is no more... :cool:

It'll be weird not having a PowerMac around anymore, but hey, all things have to change at some point.

anonicon

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2006
Peace said:
I'm guessing Apple wants to get away from the PPC association..

Most folks would think a PowerMac had a PPC in it.

How could they when Apple is running all those Intels Set Free ads?

I'd guess 75% or more of the people who buy Macs don't buy it because of the hardware, but because of the OS and perceived ease of use. For those of us who *do* buy it for the hardware and software, we already know they don't ship with PowerPC chips, and we also know that Apple used the Power label since before they even starting using PowerPC CPUs.

Still, good point.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Sounds fine to me. "MacBook Pro", "Mac Pro", and (extrapolating here) "MacBook" when the iBook replacement is announced. "Mac mini" is fine the way it is.

Seems perfectly logical.

age234

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2004
gardenhead said:
I think promac would've sounded better.

Yeah, I agree. I'm still not sold on "MacBook". It just sounds wierd, two one-syllable words that are so similar. Still would have preferred iMac, iBook, ProMac, ProBook.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Oh great, here come all the whiners. Yeah, yeah, you hated MacBook Pro too, but no one seems to mind now. Don't worry, it'll be fine.

Besides, it'll spank the crap out of the models before it (assuming it replaces the PowerMac name). And yeah, Pro Mac would of sounded good too, but oh well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.