Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
IMHO companies (especially in music software/hardware) slap the word "Pro" on anything they can. It's lame and overdone and is just a way to get certain customers to feel they "need" to have this or that in order to accomplish what they want to do. If you have to call it "Pro" it probably isn't.

danielwsmithee

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2005
Product Line!

Roller said:
Well, they're certainly covering all the bases. ("All your Mac Pro bases are belong to Apple.")

So we'll have MacBook, MacBook Pro, and Mac Pro. I wonder how long iMac will stay around.

It sounds like they will have all kinds of new "Mac" products. :) I personally like the new product lines with the Mac namesake.

Do we know for sure the new iBooks will be "MacBooks" could they be "iMacBook" and divide all their products as the "iMac" product line and the "Mac ... Pro" product line. It seams they are really trying to focus on the iMac as the center of the consumer digital universe. This may be part of that strategy.

Who knows they could come out with seperate "iMac mini" and a "Mac mini Pro" (Ok that one sounds really lame!). But I would love to see a taller "Mac mini" with Core Duo, standard 7200 rpm 3.5" hard drive and two DVI connectors. (Bring Back the Cube!)

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
I really couldn't care what their new products names are as long as 3 things

1. Its not embarrassing to say
2. It runs Mac OS X
3. Has the nice apple look

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
All non-Mac users are going to read these discussions and think: "man, look at all those Mac users... complaining about the name of their computer." I don't like the name, but it really doesn't matter to me that much. The word "power" is kind of funny anyway -- it's like calling it "extreme."

Fishes,
narco.

fawlty

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
New Zealand
~Shard~ said:
Then it's settled.

Laptops: MacBook and MacBook Pro
Desktops: iMac, Mac Pro

In the light of this new information, I would say it is more likely they will keep the name "iBook":

Consumer: iBook, iMac
Professional: MacBook Pro, Mac Pro

plastique45

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2005
~Shard~ said:
Then it's settled.

Laptops: MacBook and MacBook Pro
Desktops: iMac, Mac Pro

"Power" is no more... :cool:

It'll be weird not having a PowerMac around anymore, but hey, all things have to change at some point.

I think more like:

iBook-MacBoom Pro (I sound like a freakin' Chicken every time I say that...)
iMac-MacPro
iPod-etc

dsnort

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2006
In persona non grata
realityisterror said:
Lame...

I hope this Intel switch works out really well, because I don't like it so far...

The Intel iMac I met at the Apple Store a few days ago couldn't even run iTunes without crashing...

I'm sure something was just wrong with that machine, but not a very good first impression nonetheless...

:eek:

Must have been that machine. I have an iMac G5 Intel I got last week, all apps run like butter so far. Well, except for the ones that aren't supported.:rolleyes:

anonicon

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2006
fawlty said:
In the light of this new information, I would say it is more likely they will keep the name "iBook":

Perhaps, but given the general graybox feel the new names have, would it really shock anyone if they decided on?:

Consumer: MacBook, iMac
Audio: MacPod, MacPod Pro (in the future)

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
Egads :eek:. Google Image Search for 'Mac Pro'

4525070.jpg

danielwsmithee

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2005
Nope

fawlty said:

All pruducts will have the "Mac" namesake. iBook is gone.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
jaredbbauer said:
I love that so many of you percieve that Apple cares what you think. They are working with the masses and i gaurantee that a significant amount of market research went into this decision. And yet you still complain, you gripe, you swear that you are not going to buy a product with "stupid names" and yet you still are avid fans.

I think its funny. But my favorite part has to be that you think that someone cares about your opinion.

just my 2 cents

ps - just like Apple doesn't care about your opinion I don't expect you to care about mine.

Steve Jobs has said that he doesn't like market research or focus groups. He has said (granted, with regard to technology, not naming), that if you can identify what customers want now, by the time you bring it to market, it's too late. So, you have to know what they want before they do. Who ever would have thought they would want to carry around 60 gigs of music?

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
Mac Pro also sounds pretty clunky, however, most of us have gotten used to macbook, so it should be easy. :)

mlrproducts

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2004
PowerMac = Mac Pro
Powerbook = Macbook Pro
iMac = iMac (a little odd, eh?)
then accordingly
iBook = iMacbook????

That is ignorant I tell you!

dlastmango

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2004
West Coast - FLORIDA
They probably cant call it "power" due to trademark issues. I dont know how that stuff works but ...maybe?:confused:

I do know that I wont be upgrading to a new Intel chip Mac for at least a year. I want (but dont need) a small laptop to run Final Cut for basic video editing rough cuts. Right now Id rather get the 12"Powerbook due to its stability but with FinalCut 6 coming out in April at NAB... Im hoping The software wont criple the G4 hardware....

iAlan

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2002
anonicon said:
...we also know that Apple used the Power label since before they even starting using PowerPC CPUs.

Still, good point.

Who's to say that PowerPc CPUs wern't named for the PowerMac?
Or was it just a coincidence...

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
i don't get why no-one thinks we can still have an 'iBook'? I mean they kept the iMac name, wy not iBook too? they have a ton of apps that follow the iNoun naming style, so why not keep the iconic iMac and iBook names? who needs MacBook? :rolleyes:

Marble

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2003
Tucson, AZ
tjwett said:
IMHO companies (especially in music software/hardware) slap the word "Pro" on anything they can. It's lame and overdone and is just a way to get certain customers to feel they "need" to have this or that in order to accomplish what they want to do. If you have to call it "Pro" it probably isn't.

Then again, this is coming from a company that has slapped "Power" onto all of its products for years now...

The most intriguing thing about this is that if what people are saying is true, the desktop and laptop naming schemes will not be symmetrical anymore. I am still not sure they're going to get rid of "iBook." It's a very catchy name, not potentially misleading like "PowerBook," and the iMac name remains. Heck, maybe they'll introduce another thread in the laptop line called "MacBook mini" and we'll have symmetry again :p.

guffman

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
Roller said:
Well, they're certainly covering all the bases. ("All your Mac Pro bases are belong to Apple.")

So we'll have MacBook, MacBook Pro, and Mac Pro. I wonder how long iMac will stay around.

iMac isn't going anywhere. Apple's naming critera right now boils down to having "Mac" in the title, and the absense of the word "power". This has been said many times, but some just don't quite seem to grasp the concept. :rolleyes:

jruc4871

macrumors regular
May 4, 2005
Washington, DC
danielwsmithee said:
All pruducts will have the "Mac" namesake. iBook is gone.

don't be so sure. iBooks will remain - you don't expect iMacs and iPods going anywhere, do you?

iBook, MacBook Pro
iMini (???)
iMac
Mac Pro

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.