Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Has Apple ever given you bad customer service?

• Europe - Yes: Everytime I have to deal with them... or nearly everytime.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Europe - Yes: but only occasionally and I am willing to put it down to bad luck

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Europe - No: never. Apple offer the best customer service in the world

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • US - Yes: Everytime I have to deal with them... or nearly everytime.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • US - Yes: but only occasionally and I am willing to put it down to bad luck

Votes: 14 22.6%
  • US - No: never. Apple offer the best customer service in the world

Votes: 33 53.2%
  • Asia - Yes: Everytime I have to deal with them... or nearly everytime.

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Asia - Yes: but only occasionally and I am willing to put it down to bad luck

• Asia - No: never. Apple offer the best customer service in the world

• Total voters

jacobj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2003
Jersey
Right, I am campaining against Apple becuase they have stopped shipping to Jersey. Typical Apple they refuse to comment as to the reasons why. You'd think I was asking them to tell me when the next iPod was going to be released.

This is not the first time that Apple have shafted me and I am starting to waver in my loyalty to them... so here is the poll..

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
No problems with them yet.

Only wonderful things of them buying back a defective iBook and letting me buy a powerbook for 500.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Voted Europe: No, never... and even if I think their customer service is pretty good, that doesn't mean that I haven't had any problems.

I've had one extremely annoying round with Apple Store on the phone, but that turned out fine, eventually. And there was the time my Pismo went on a Tour of Europe for about a month to be fixed, but that was actually handled by an Apple Service Center and not Apple directly (even if it was handled by Apple in the end).

So, I would have voted something more like Never had any serious problems, and Apple always comes through in the end if that was an option... ;)

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
So, I would have voted something more like Never had any serious problems, and Apple always comes through in the end if that was an option... ;)

Same with me. I really haven't had any issues with Apple besides them taking forever to fix my power book but it turned out fine because they sent me a set of $300 speakers.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Mr. Anderson said:
So, I've gone and done something I had hoped I would ever do again and I hope my luck turns to good this time around.

Waaay back in the day - I ordered the first PowerMacG4 when it came out - the day it was announced at MacWorld NewYork.

There was a long wait time, but that was fine, I knew about it. Then Apple announced this

Bad news, followed a day later by a retraction. Not too bad - but it got the blood pumping.

Eventually, one day, a large Apple box was delivered to my door - oh the joy, as many here understand - but oh the horror as I open up the box to find a machine that I didn't order. Instead of the upper end 450 MHz APG Sawtooth with dual SCSI drives, etc. I had a low end 350 MHz standard, non BTO machine. My annoyance was profound to say the least. So a call to Apple, off goes the computer that was almost mine and another continued wait (one month or so) until I *finally* got the machine I ordered.

Sigh....

So move ahead a couple years - I try again, this time ordering a BTO Rev C 667 MHz PowerBook - woohoo! tracking it all the way from Taiwan, I watch it arrive at the Washington, DC FedEx dock. And then it seems to stay there. So the next day I after talking to a number of people at FedEx I go and take a personal visit to the facility. They admit the box from Apple arrives at the dock - but they don't know where it is now.....sorry.

More calls to Apple and FedEx corporate, more painful agony on my part, and Apple and FedEx come to an agreement and finally another PowerBook is ordered. This time I only had to wait an additional 3 weeks for another BTO machine to make its way from Taiwan.

2005, not wanting to be noticed by the capricious Apple Shipping Gods - I drove 2 1/2 hours to Chicago and picked up my wife's G5 iMac.

So, sitting here and having watched the date of shipping of my new BTO Quad G5 bumped from 2-4 days when I ordered it on Tuesday to 'shipping on the 17th' I'm wondering if I'm just destined to annoyance from them.

Figured I'd share this for posterity :D

D

My G5 got here and things have been ok - so its not been everytime - however, I hope to never go through any of the above again....

D

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
No. Sent a bad PowerBook to Apple once on a Friday, and was surprised to find it delivered back to me, fully repaired, on the following Monday. Which was a holiday.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
The only problem I have is that they don't ship to Jersey. As I've posted before this is down to their contract with TNT for shipping, I really don't see why that is not simple to resolve.

It's a bit lame that Apple can't put the IT systems in place to run an online store effectively.

derajfast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2004
since when dont they ship to jersey? my powerbook was shipped there about 2 years ago, and my dad just had his new ipod shipped there 2 weeks ago......

as for apple customer service experience.....hasnt been too great for me, but i finally called them up to complain about all the crap ive had to go through with ilife 06 and my power adapters and such.....gave me 200 off a future purchase so im kind of happy

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
Just before my iPod died, it made lots of clicking and scratching sounds and it took 10 seconds to start playing songs after you hit play. Sent it to Apple only to have them send it back saying they couldn't find anything wrong with it. One week later, it died.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
derajfast said:
since when dont they ship to jersey? my powerbook was shipped there about 2 years ago, and my dad just had his new ipod shipped there 2 weeks ago......
Since about October last year.

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
My sister's iPod mini broke... sent it back in... and they said that it was fine. Shipped it back unrepaired. I tried everything before I sent it in, but nothing worked. However, Apple MIGHT have done something to get it work. I don't even know since either someone at Purolator or Apple STOLE the freaking iPod...

So basically I am complaining about how they shipped it right back saying it didn't need repairs when it was obviously not operational

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Well if anyone has read my thread about the trouble I've had with my new iMac then you know sorta how I feel. This is the worst that I've been treated but I knew that this Intel iMac may have some issues, just not all at me (LOL). Really though until now Apples service has been great for me so I can't make a mountain out of a molehill but there is a limit that everyone has ;)

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
I've had nothing but love and free computer from apple.

They even sent me a letter today!!

paraphrase:
Dear KT,
Please report your $1,999.99 PowerBook winning on your 2005 tax return. It will be listed as personal business income.
Ha, ha, ha, you have taxes to pay, neener neener neener.
Love, Apple

They reminded me to put $2k on my mom's income for tax purposes.

And all the hardware related stuff... (ok, just a new HD) they've been AWESOME!
Rock!

derajfast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2004
mpw said:
Since about October last year.

since october of last year, ive had 2 ipods, an ipod dock, 2 power adapters, and a powerbook battery shipped to me in jersey......

i have no idea what you are talking about

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
derajfast said:
since october of last year, ive had 2 ipods, an ipod dock, 2 power adapters, and a powerbook battery shipped to me in jersey......

i have no idea what you are talking about

Do you mean New Jersey? He's talking about a country called Jersey, which is an island off the coast of the France(?) I believe

And no, I've never been screwed by Apple. My single repair with them was awesome, I was without my PowerBook for less than a week

derajfast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2004
yg17 said:
Do you mean New Jersey? He's talking about a country called Jersey, which is an island off the coast of the France(?) I believe

And no, I've never been screwed by Apple. My single repair with them was awesome, I was without my PowerBook for less than a week

well then..haha....little miscommunication i suppose

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
derajfast said:
well then..haha....little miscommunication i suppose
If you've got Google Earth (which you should) copy and paste this code into your 'Places' folder and that should clear things up.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<kml xmlns="http://earth.google.com/kml/2.0">
<Placemark>
  <name>mpw's Jersey</name>
  <LookAt>
    <longitude>-2.135390942588374</longitude>
    <latitude>49.20913764736674</latitude>
    <range>23441.03561597499</range>
    <tilt>3.100086221852909e-012</tilt>
    <heading>-0.01247324199464929</heading>
  </LookAt>
  <styleUrl>root://styleMaps#default+nicon=0x307+hicon=0x317</styleUrl>
  <Point>
    <coordinates>-2.135390942588374,49.20913764736674,0</coordinates>
  </Point>
</Placemark>
</kml>

SpAtZ

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2006
NY
They lost my ibook in the stoor after a repair and sent it back accidentaly because they put it in the wrong pile. It took three weeks to get it back

ahunter3

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2003
I've really only needed/used official Apple warranty service twice, ever, and I've been using Macs since 1986.

First time was with my 7100/80, which would not let me switch AppleTalk protocol from printer port (LocalTalk) to ethernet. The Apple tech came to my house, ran diagnostics on it, swapped out the motherboard, and finally determined that the problem was in the just-purchased ethernet transceiver, not the Mac itself. I had MacWarehouse or MacMall or whoever it was replace the transceiver and was on the network about 3 days later. As many stars as I can give on that service call, that was amazing, outstanding.

Second time was with my brand-new-back-then 'WallStreet' G3 Series PowerBook. It stopped charging from A/C, would only run on battery. Took it in to the official Apple-designated warranty service center. They took about 10 days to decide they could not fix the cracked power board and would have to send it to Apple. They asked me to remove any 3rd-party / nonstandard equipment, and remove all RAM, and they shipped it to Apple. They disregarded my instructions to use next-day service and instead tied it to the back of a westbound snail. Days went by and it finally showed up on the docks, then the intake queue, then someone was looking at it, then it was noted as being shipped back with the cryptic note "because you requested that it not be fixed" -- ???

Frantic calls eventually yielded the info that it was not repaired "because no problem was found". -- ?? Yet more frantic, persistent, and angry calls finally obtained the information that PowerBook was not tested at all due to no RAM. (I called up the local repair shop which insisted that Apple had instructed them to have the RAM removed before shipping).

Of course they had tied my computer to an eastbound snail before I could tell them otherwise, and I had to wait for it to arrive at the local place before having the RAM inserted and sending it back yet again (this time, with me practically holding them at gunpoint, they shipped it next-day service).

One freaking month after I sent it in, I finally got it back in working order. Oh, and the problem turned out to be a well-known problem, one endemic to that particular model of PowerBook, that the A/C in was poorly designed and would tend to crack a spot-solder linking the power-in & sound card with the main motherboard. The next 4 times it happened I had someone local do the repair without involving Apple repair services.

Quite obviously, zero stars for that one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.