PDA

View Full Version : How maxed out can the Cube be?

JupiterZen
Jan 16, 2003, 03:22 PM
Just wondering. What is the most maxed out Cube out there?

I was just thinking what a cool machine it would be with:

- 1.5GB of RAM
- 200GB Western Digital 7200rpm harddisk
- Geforce4 something
- Powerlogix dual 1Ghz upgradecard
- Superdrive

But I fear it's mostly dreaming. Because for one, you would have to murder a powerbook with superdrive to get one that fits (or isn't it a notebook drive in there? Sorry to say never seen a Cube in person). Second Powerlogix says that you can only put the dual 800 in the Cube. And third, I have no idea if you could fit any Geforce4 in there.

So tell me, how cool can it get for real.

:cool:

kiwi_the_iwik
Jan 16, 2003, 04:58 PM
OK - the most maxed-out a Cube could theoretically be is:

* 1.5Gb Ram
* 23" LCD Monitor
* Powerlogix Dual-1.25Gb Processors (due out anytime soon) with 2Mb L3 Cache
* 250Gb Internal ATA Drive
* Slot-Loading SuperDrive (as seen in the new TiBooks)
* GeForce3 or ATI Radeon 7500 (fanless) Graphics card

What a kick-butt machine THAT'LL be...

Currently, Powerlogix have OK'd the Dual-Gig Processor upgrades. However, there is going to be a new chip design coming out in the next few months that has a lower power requirement, and give speeds in excess of 1.5Gb per chip...

Bear in mind, that for most upgrades it is recommended that a small fan be installed inside the Cube - Apple have been kind enough to supply a nice little area at the base of the inside chassis for such a unit - including a 12V supply. Perhaps it was to plan ahead for such contingencies as further upgradability to the Cube range.

How sad it didn't continue...

Now, if only the graphics card manufacturers were to make half-height (7") cards, then the Cube would be well and truly back in business...

JustAGuy
Jan 16, 2003, 08:11 PM
But, of course, you're still going to be limited by the 100MHz bus. However, most Cubes seem to do okay with a bus overclock to 133MHz, so things might not be as bas as it seems.

I've spent many an hour staring at my cube and pondering whether to upgrade it to a single gigger, ati 7500 and overclock the bus. But, by the time everything is said and done, it'll cost close to what a new, bottom of the line, PM would cost (minus the ~$1500 i can get for the cube) and still be slower. But, on the other hand, if I upgraded I would still own a cube ;) (albeit a noisy one)

Oh well, at least my finances force this to be a decision I don't have to make anytime soon.

cr2sh
Jan 16, 2003, 09:49 PM
If anyone hasinformation on overclocking the system bus to 133, PLEASE POST IT. I'd do this weekend!

Second, I would prefer to use an external DVD-R (MicroCenter this week has a 4X DVD-R/W for $199!) via firewire. I've pulled my internal CD/DVD drive from my Cube and replaced it with a second Hardrive. Using this you could get both a superdrive and 500gigs of space. the dual 1GHz from powerlogix is supposedly more reliable than the dual 800 from everything I've read. (xlr8yourmac)

So..
dual 1Ghz Powerlogix
500Gigs (dual harddrives internally)
External Superdrive
1.5gigs of ram

Again, someone please post a link on how to overclock system bus! :)

JustAGuy
Jan 16, 2003, 11:03 PM
I do believe that the instructions for the sawtooth g4 work on the cube. They're at http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G4ZONE/sawtooth/SawtoothCPUdesign.html

At least its heavily hinted at in the document where they discuss the timebase problem, and how the cube doesn't have it...

If not, the kind folks in the forums there should be able to direct you in the correct way. The main trick is to down clock your CPU before the bus, otherwise your cube won't even start up as the CPU will be trying to run at 600Mhz.

People have reported limited success for the 450s at 466 and virtually no success at 533 (to the point where, if you have a 500, you're better off going to 466).

If you have any success, post back and let us know.

JupiterZen
Jan 17, 2003, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by kiwi_the_iwik
OK - the most maxed-out a Cube could theoretically be is:

* 1.5Gb Ram
* 23" LCD Monitor
* Powerlogix Dual-1.25Gb Processors (due out anytime soon) with 2Mb L3 Cache
* 250Gb Internal ATA Drive
* Slot-Loading SuperDrive (as seen in the new TiBooks)
* GeForce3 or ATI Radeon 7500 (fanless) Graphics card

What a kick-butt machine THAT'LL be...

Now, if only the graphics card manufacturers were to make half-height (7") cards, then the Cube would be well and truly back in business...

I must say it sound very promising ;) I have a dual 800 Quicksilver now, but would really like to get rid of the noise in my audio studio. So I've been looking at the new Powerbook 17", but it's way to expensive for me :(.

But getting a secondhand Cube and patching it up like this seems a good alternative because I already have the RAM, A 17" LCD, 80GB harddrive and a Geforce3.

Do you know if the Geforce3 that Apple shipped with the Quicksilvers fits inside the Cube?

cr2sh
Jan 17, 2003, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by JupiterZen
But getting a secondhand Cube and patching it up like this seems a good alternative.

I'm getting ready to ordering one of the 17" powerbooks at the end of the month. At that point I plan on getting rid of my 450cube, and I'd be willing to let it go pretty cheap. Let me know if you're interested, eh?

JupiterZen
Jan 17, 2003, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by cr2sh

I'm getting ready to ordering one of the 17" powerbooks at the end of the month. At that point I plan on getting rid of my 450cube, and I'd be willing to let it go pretty cheap. Let me know if you're interested, eh?

I would be quite interested ;) but I think we have one little problem. Because I happen to live in Europe.

So I have no idea if it would be worth it with shippingcosts and moneytransfercosts getting it all around the globe.

cr2sh
Jan 17, 2003, 05:50 AM
In that case, anyone else interested the offer stands.

Back to the subject at hand though....

kiwi_the_iwik
Jan 17, 2003, 05:26 PM
Do you know if the Geforce3 that Apple shipped with the Quicksilvers fits inside the Cube?

Yes - it's the best nVidia card that fits in the Cube - otherwise, you could go for a Radeon 7500 (which has the added benefit of not having a fan, unlike the GeForce3). I've always got an eye open on eBay - there's a guy in the States who is always selling those cards for around $250-300. Otherwise, try going to www.cube-zone.com or www.cubeowner.com for links to second-hand dealers who stock them.

Good luck!

:)

JupiterZen
Jan 17, 2003, 05:35 PM

Yes - it's the best nVidia card that fits in the Cube - otherwise, you could go for a Radeon 7500 (which has the added benefit of not having a fan, unlike the GeForce3). I've always got an eye open on eBay - there's a guy in the States who is always selling those cards for around $250-300. Otherwise, try going to www.cube-zone.com or www.cubeowner.com for links to second-hand dealers who stock them.

Good luck!

Thanx for the info. The Radeon is a good idea, because it's actually the fan of the Geforce3 that a am hoping to escape.

The only problem is I would really like a card with ADC for my 17" LCD. So I'll have to check if the Radeon comes with that.

/me is om his way exploring Cube ownership ;)

ibookin'
Jan 17, 2003, 05:59 PM
In that case, anyone else interested the offer stands.

Back to the subject at hand though....

I might be interested. I was thinking of upgrading a Cube to Dual 1Ghz or so, but I don't have one. How much would you let it go for?

kiwi_the_iwik
Jan 18, 2003, 08:47 AM
There are some Radeon 7500's available with ADC connectors. The cards that the guy on eBay sells are all fitted with ADC. So - that'd be perfect for you. He currently has a GeForce3 for sale on eBay now -

(http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2302082538&category=4601)

- but it might pay to email him as to the availability of any more Radeon 7500's.

Let me know how you get on...

IndyGopher
Jan 18, 2003, 10:08 AM
Am I missing something? How do you folks get drives bigger than 128gig to be recognized in the cube?

kiwi_the_iwik
Jan 18, 2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by IndyGopher
Am I missing something? How do you folks get drives bigger than 128gig to be recognized in the cube?

Ummmm - yeah - well. Didn't know there was a problem...

Other Cube Forum sites haven't pointed out any problems regarding the installation of big hard drives. What have you heard?

MacBandit
Jan 18, 2003, 11:14 AM

Ummmm - yeah - well. Didn't know there was a problem...

Other Cube Forum sites haven't pointed out any problems regarding the installation of big hard drives. What have you heard?

The problem is with ATA100 and below. Up until recently with the release of the DDR powermacs the ATA100, ATA66, ATA33 etc. have a hardware limitation of I believe 136GB. With the release of the DDR powermacs Apple has a new ATA100 card with a new architecture that allows nearly unlimited size.

JupiterZen
Jan 18, 2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by MacBandit

The problem is with ATA100 and below. Up until recently with the release of the DDR powermacs the ATA100, ATA66, ATA33 etc. have a hardware limitation of I believe 136GB. With the release of the DDR powermacs Apple has a new ATA100 card with a new architecture that allows nearly unlimited size.

:( Damn. That sucks at least a little. I have 80GB now so it's not an immediate problem unless I run out of space and 120GB doesn't cut it.

Well, first I have to find a Cube. Here in Europe they go for about 1000 euro's secondhand. How does that compare to prices in the US?

<edit>
Just looked around ebay and in the US they come for 1000 dollars WITH monitor even 15" TFT. Damn, why are they so expensive here :(
</edit>

Moxiemike
Jan 18, 2003, 12:27 PM

let me know how much you want for it.

m

amnesiac1984
Jan 18, 2003, 12:33 PM

Thanx for the info. The Radeon is a good idea, because it's actually the fan of the Geforce3 that a am hoping to escape.

The only problem is I would really like a card with ADC for my 17" LCD. So I'll have to check if the Radeon comes with that.

/me is om his way exploring Cube ownership ;)

check out xlr8yourmac.com they have info on a radeon 9000 in a cube

janey
Jan 18, 2003, 10:24 PM

I'm getting ready to ordering one of the 17" powerbooks at the end of the month. At that point I plan on getting rid of my 450cube, and I'd be willing to let it go pretty cheap. Let me know if you're interested, eh? ]

Very interested. How much? I'd love to get a Cube (okay so my boyfriend wants one too)!

cr2sh
Jan 19, 2003, 02:18 PM
I'm not sure how much I'd ask for it. I've been using it for the last 6months with dual harddrives and the case apart, so I'd have to reassemble it. I've done some customization on the case (had it powdercoated black) amongst other things and I'd prolly toss in the 15" apple lcd too. I was thinking $600 for both, maybe cheaper... When I do decide to sell it I'll post it in the forsale section but you guys get the first crack at (if you're even still interested.) What date are the 17" available?

the specs:
450 g4 / 1gig ram (1x512, 2x256) / 40gig 7200 maxtor / DVD
15" studio display (Digital)

janey
Jan 19, 2003, 04:42 PM
$600 for the modded g4 cube and a 15" studio display? sounds great...but hmmm...how much would shipping it to london cost? :D

vniow
Jan 19, 2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by übergeek
$600 for the modded g4 cube and a 15" studio display? sounds great...but hmmm...how much would shipping it to london cost? :D

Not if I get it first.http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/veronica/grinning.gif

Oh, and I just recounted and I can pay the full $600.

cr2sh
Jan 19, 2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by übergeek
how much would shipping it to london cost? :D

Just got back from London, I had so much fun. I miss it so... :(

janey
Jan 19, 2003, 06:16 PM
Right now I'm not in the States...

You probably could mail it to my house in Cupertino.

Cash, check or plastic? Or do you prefer paypal?

I want the cube!!!!

cr2sh
Jan 19, 2003, 06:22 PM
like i said, its not for sale yet.. i dont have a machine to replace this until i order my 17", but i'll let you guys know when it is. :D

when is the 17" available!?

vniow
Jan 19, 2003, 06:36 PM

when is the 17" available!?

Mid-February at the least and mid-March at the most, based off of various reports here on MR.

And I still want that damn Cube.http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/veronica/grinning.gif

janey
Jan 19, 2003, 06:50 PM
:( not for sale yet! can you e-mail me when it will be available? I would really love getting a cube to add to my collection of ancient and outdated computers.

ih8billgates@users.sourceforge.net

cr2sh
Jan 19, 2003, 06:57 PM
This is getting ugly... you guys will all be kept in mind when i sell, i can't make promises but i'll let you know when it goes...

janey
Jan 19, 2003, 06:59 PM
thanx. this is getting ugly. perhaps i could buy a cube off of someone else...

JupiterZen
Jan 20, 2003, 08:12 PM
Whoa!!! Never thought my thread would end up being an open marketplace ...

Seems like the Cube is still hot enough ;)

vniow
Jan 20, 2003, 08:19 PM
Whoa!!! Never thought my thread would end up being an open marketplace ...

Seems like the Cube is still hot enough ;)

mmmmmm....not obsessive Mac users are..mmmmm......

King Cobra
Jan 20, 2003, 08:23 PM
>(JZ) Seems like the Cube is still hot enough ;)

Not mine. My half GHz puppy is storming through Jaguar, in the warmth or coolness of my room! :p

Link posted by JustAGuy
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G4ZONE/sawtooth/SawtoothCPUdesign.html

edit: Now the link works.

JupiterZen
Jan 20, 2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by vniow

mmmmmm....not obsessive Mac users are..mmmmm......

No not at all ... couldn't care less. Personally I always put my ones and zeros in a cardboard box ...

:D :D :D

daveg5
Jan 20, 2003, 10:05 PM

email me at dvyoung5@netscape.net with specifications and your approx asking price and condition and i will make you an offer

cr2sh
Jan 21, 2003, 12:51 AM
-

JupiterZen
Jan 21, 2003, 01:40 AM
ever have one of those nights where everything went to hell really quickly? 5 hours ago i had the next two years of my life figured out and i just f'd up big time. god it goes to ***** so fast....

What happened?

:confused:

cr2sh
Jan 21, 2003, 01:56 AM
-

kiwi_the_iwik
Jan 21, 2003, 02:22 PM
I know things in life can get rough, cr2sh. Sometimes, it's downright cr@p. And I probably can't even begin to comprehend what you and your ex- are going through right now...

But just bear in mind, everything happens for a reason - be it good or bad. Sometimes, you've just got to make the most of the situation.

I DO know things get better, though - with every day that passes. You just have to take each day as it comes, and that'll give you both the strength to work through your problems. It helps that you are both dealing with it, but make sure you work together, to give each other the support you need.

Chin up, big guy. We're here if you need to talk about it.

JupiterZen
Jan 21, 2003, 05:19 PM
I know the thread has drifted somewhat off topic (to say it mildly ;) ). And I must say that doesn't bother me at all ... I just can't stop asking about Cubes ;)

I say one mentioned with CDRW, but was wondering if a Combo drive (DVD-CDRW) ever made it into an official Cube release.

I'm inclined to believe it didn't. But correct me if I'm wrong. And is the optical drive easily replaced with something else or is it to proprietery because it needed to fit inside?

And to cr2sh: If you need to get things off your chest. We're here ;)

kiwi_the_iwik
Jan 21, 2003, 05:35 PM
Well Mr. Zen - you're in luck.

www.cube-zone.com had a link to a company that had adapted the combo drive for the Cube.

Check out their archives - I think it happened about 4 months ago. The company set up a poll to investigate whether it was worth doing, and asked the Cube-using community to vote on it. It was a resounding "yes" (obviously) - but I think the option was an expensive one...

Personally, I'm happy to have an external CD-RW (that means I cut my disk duplicating time in half!).

:D

JupiterZen
Jan 21, 2003, 06:15 PM
Personally, I'm happy to have an external CD-RW (that means I cut my disk duplicating time in half!).

:D

Thanx for the link. Sad it's such an expensive option. The copy time is definately a very good point for taking something external, but I don't like to much desktop clutter. But it would be the only way to get a DVD-R, because getting that inside a Cube is probably a totally different story ;)

Funny how I find myself wanting a Cube very much suddenly. The ideas here of dual 1.2Ghz and upgraded graphics sure helped to fuel my imagination.

Spock
Jan 21, 2003, 07:32 PM
www.applefritter.com has a really fast cube it is really cool.

MrMacMan
Jan 21, 2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Spock
www.applefritter.com has a really fast cube it is really cool.

Where is it listed?

janey
Jan 21, 2003, 10:24 PM
Does ANYONE have an unmodded cube i can buy off of them? "the cube is a part of apple history," says my boyfriend josh and well, he wants one too and i want to get him one for valentine's day.

JupiterZen
Jan 23, 2003, 12:13 PM
How I wish they had made the Cube just a little tiny bit bigger and included just one PCI slot.

;)

Then my Cube adventure would be so much easier. Because while selling my dual 800 is no problem, finding a way to exchange my Delta 1010 audiocard with a MOTU 828 firewire interface in the secondhand scene seems to be a problem.

:(

kiwi_the_iwik
Jan 24, 2003, 03:22 PM
Oooohhh - oooohhh!

You won't believe this, but someone's apparently managed to put a new slot-loading SuperDrive in their Cube.

I read it on www.cubeowner.com - and it's also on www.xlr8yourmac.com as well.

It sort of gives you hope for the little guy yet...

JupiterZen
Jan 24, 2003, 03:24 PM
So, would you buy the Cube Revisited Edition if it came with:

- Maybe a slightly bigger but very similar enclosure (white?)
- dual G4 1.25 Ghz
- 80GB harddisk
- slotloading Superdrive as option to DVD-CDRW
- 3 DDR RAM slots
- 4x AGP graphics slot with fanless GPU
- 1 PCI slot (maybe two, but I think it will become to big then)
- 10/100/1000 ethernet
- the usual USB, firewire (800?)
- and just one large slow fan in it

It would really be what I'm looking for as all this thinking about getting rid of my Powermac and getting a Cube to max out is getting out of control ;).

Something a little more professional that the iMac's, but not the big, bulky, noisy powerhorses that the Powermac is right now.

And the price sh/would be somewhere in between as well.

Or has my brain just shortcircuited trying to decide what to do?

<edit>
If we make it a "reliable source rumor" then they are bound to come out. Just like the new Powerbook surpise this year ... :rolleyes:
</edit>

kiwi_the_iwik
Jan 24, 2003, 03:29 PM
I think it would be better for companies such as ATI and nVidia to stop making 12" graphics cards, and standardise these cards to 7".

I mean, what's the point of miniaturisation if it won't be utilised by these manufacturers to standardise the size of the cards, opening up airflow and making them available for Cube users worldwide?

(That's not a selfish plea, is it?!?)

;)

JupiterZen
Jan 24, 2003, 03:31 PM
You won't believe this, but someone's apparently managed to put a new slot-loading SuperDrive in their Cube.

I know. With all the upgrades and modifications, you can really get the Cube very far. But if you want it all it's gonna be a very expensive Cube.

Maybe even more that a new current Powermac ;( and then you start wondering: "Is it worth all the hassle?"

I know I want to get rid of the noise, but can't make up my mind about this adventure.

JupiterZen
Jan 24, 2003, 03:43 PM
Can you refresh my mind on why the Cube eventually failed as product?

Why weren't we buying it?

I think the missing PCI slot really didn't give it much chance with professionals. I believe it would have fitted in there, as there is a lot of space left over next to the CD drive.

And one slot is enough for a lot of people I know.

kiwi_the_iwik
Jan 24, 2003, 03:50 PM
For what it is, the Cube is a fantastic piece of work without any modifications.

If it could be kept quiet, maybe with a bigger graphics card and a bit more HD space, and possibly a new cool 1Ghz G4 chip (the next generation may not need a fan... ...maybe a part of the chassis could act as part of the heatsink), it would regain the niche it was designed for in the first place.

As long as it could play the latest games with ease, and act as the centre of your home entertainment network (playing DVD's and controlling audio and general web-surfing, even with optional remote control ability), there would be a huge market - everyone would buy one (as long as the price was right - Apple certianly got it wrong the first time around...).

It's certianly a very cool-looking piece of hardware!

vniow
Jan 24, 2003, 03:50 PM
Can you refresh my mind on why the Cube eventually failed as product?

Price.

And lack of a real target market.

It was billed by many people as a 'headless iMac with the guts if a Powermac' but it cost more than either so people were drawn to the more expandable Powermac or the cheaper iMac, the Cube should've fit right there inbetween those two but not for the price it sold at.http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/veronica/damn.gif

kiwi_the_iwik
Jan 24, 2003, 03:59 PM
It's a shame about the way Apple dumped the Cube the way they did. It even has more potential than the current iMacs - it's as if Apple took a step backwards.

I already know of people who want to change the size of the screens on their LCD iMacs - an impossible task. How easy is it for us Cube users?

Ha!

daveg5
Jan 24, 2003, 04:11 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JupiterZen
[B]So, would you buy the Cube Revisited Edition if it came with:

- Maybe a slightly bigger but very similar enclosure (white?)
- dual G4 1.25 Ghz
- 80GB harddisk
- slotloading Superdrive as option to DVD-CDRW
- 3 DDR RAM slots
- 4x AGP graphics slot with fanless GPU
- 1 PCI slot (maybe two, but I think it will become to big then)
- 10/100/1000 ethernet
- the usual USB, firewire (800?)
- and just one large slow fan in it

Yes i would if the price is right if they cant put the pci then put 2 pc card slots soo i can upgrade to firewire 1600, scsi, usb3, pci expansion later

JupiterZen
Jan 24, 2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by vniow

Price.

And lack of a real target market.

It was billed by many people as a 'headless iMac with the guts if a Powermac' but it cost more than either so people were drawn to the more expandable Powermac or the cheaper iMac, the Cube should've fit right there inbetween those two but not for the price it sold at.http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/veronica/damn.gif

Yeah, ofcourse. Didn't know it was even more expensive than the top of the line Powermac ... I didn't need a new computer at the time so wasn't seriously looking at the Cube in those days.

Back then, I too was saying how it was profesionally useless without PCI and room for more disks and all that. But the thing is that what I needed (pro audio cards and SCSI cards) are all available as firewire devices today so you don't even really need PCI for that. And an internal 7200 rpm 8MB cache IDE disk performs almost as good as U160 SCSI. I have seen it myself.

That is one of the main reasons I find myself seriously looking at a Cube.

Dont Hurt Me
Jan 24, 2003, 04:14 PM
It's a shame about the way Apple dumped the Cube the way they did. It even has more potential than the current iMacs - it's as if Apple took a step backwards.

I already know of people who want to change the size of the screens on their LCD iMacs - an impossible task. How easy is it for us Cube users?

Ha! The cube was and is beautiful. I really wanted one and then it was discontinued which was fortunate for me because i now need that 1 pci slot and have upgraded my video card! These were big issues for me at the time and was looking at imacs then all of a sudden the back door of the store i was in opened up and in came the brandnew just introduced quicksilvers. They seemed so cool at the time so here iam. Also remember this Steve said that they were discontinuing the cube but said it in a manner like they could be brought back at some time in the future when hardware and markets were right for it ! APPLE ALLWAYS SEEMS TO SURPRISE US!

JupiterZen
Jan 24, 2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
The cube was and is beautiful. I really wanted one and then it was discontinued which was fortunate for me because i now need that 1 pci slot and have upgraded my video card! These were big issues for me at the time and was looking at imacs then all of a sudden the back door of the store i was in opened up and in came the brandnew just introduced quicksilvers. They seemed so cool at the time so here iam. Also remember this Steve said that they were discontinuing the cube but said it in a manner like they could be brought back at some time in the future when hardware and markets were right for it ! APPLE ALLWAYS SEEMS TO SURPRISE US!

Yeah. I also jumped the Quicksilver train when they came out and got the dual 800 way to expensive. Before the Quicksilvers I didn't look at the Powermacs and Cubes because I had a 400Mhz G3 upgraded 7500. And I wanted to wait for more speed before upgrading.

Now I would really like the Cube to be reborn.

benixau
Jan 24, 2003, 04:56 PM
apple will never re-invent a product. why? looks obvious that they made a mistake.

no pda again ever. no cube again ever.

but the pc world gets to do this. think intel and RAMBUS vs DDR

*sigh*

janey
Jan 24, 2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by benixau
apple will never re-invent a product. why? looks obvious that they made a mistake.

no pda again ever. no cube again ever.

but the pc world gets to do this. think intel and RAMBUS vs DDR

*sigh*

Apple just might. This probably is SJ's favorite computer and since more and more mac users want a Cube, Apple should just forget about how they'd look and reinvent the Cube so we could all have one for under 2 grand and we wouldn't be wasting our time talking about modding a Cube in this thread.

Dont Hurt Me
Jan 25, 2003, 05:47 PM
The cube needed a little polish but where they had it sitting it was competing with the imac and the powermac --- so if expansion was needed the cube was eliminated and if you wanted to get the most for your money again the cube was eliminated. If only it would have been a little more upgradeable i would have gotten one if they were available at the time. I am still surprised as to how far they are upgradeable concerning the aftermarket ! But with technology moving so fast everywhere i almost am inclined to say get a new system every 2 or 3 years rather then trying to upgrade so what do you do? economy or expansion

kiwi_the_iwik
Jan 25, 2003, 06:36 PM
The funny thing is -

The Cube is far more expandable than the LCD iMac...

It shouldn't have even been competing with that machine, anyway.

Jimong5
Jan 25, 2003, 09:00 PM
I think it would be better for companies such as ATI and nVidia to stop making 12" graphics cards, and standardise these cards to 7".

I mean, what's the point of miniaturisation if it won't be utilised by these manufacturers to standardise the size of the cards, opening up airflow and making them available for Cube users worldwide?

(That's not a selfish plea, is it?!?)

;)

I just took a Peek inside my MDD, and found my Radeon 9000 is 7" and Fanless. It would Be Perfect for a Cube.