Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
2.2 is still available for download, but you're right, that's the last free version.

The free (for real) Smultron is a good substitute if the collaboration gimmick isn't wanted.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
I understand that they had to do that, though the price tag is kinda steep. At least version 2.2 is still free and it is universal too. so it is here to stay.
I hear that Apple will integrate document sharing in 10.5 though so there might not be that much of a need for that anymore.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I was never particularly impressed with SubEthaEdit anyway. Never needed the collaboration features and the editor itself is good but not spectacular. I'll keep 2.1.1 around on my machine, but TextWrangler has always been great for me.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
mduser63 said:
I was never particularly impressed with SubEthaEdit anyway. Never needed the collaboration features and the editor itself is good but not spectacular. I'll keep 2.1.1 around on my machine, but TextWrangler has always been great for me.

I'd pay if it did RTF support... but I'll just stick with the free TXT support.

Collaboration is amazing when you're taking notes. With three people, you end up with amazing quality stuff. :)

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Mechcozmo said:
Collaboration is amazing when you're taking notes. With three people, you end up with amazing quality stuff. :)
it's called taking notes in class with fellow Mac users, and not missing a word of anything that was said. Plus hilarious commentary, and miscellaneous chatting. It's the totally 1337 e-version of the tradition of note-passing in class :p
Sigh. SubEthaEdit has been good to me since the Hydra days. Somehow no other editor comes close to it (imo)
Not sure if i'd actually cough up some money for a 2.3 license, or just stick with 2.2..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.