PDA

View Full Version : Manually sync videos, but automatically sync music

lieb39
Feb 15, 2006, 03:59 AM
Hello Everyone,

I've recently purchased a new video iPod (60Gb), and I have a lot of video to put on it. I've got about 3GB of video on it so far, but it seems that my Hard drive space on my laptop is running out. So I'm wondering if it's possible at all to have my videos on the iPod running manually (so I don't need a local copy of it) but automatically sync my music, since I often update my lyrics on my music and I want to keep my play count.

Thanks in advance,

lieb39

mcmav37
Feb 15, 2006, 08:34 AM
Manually managing your iTunes libary isn't designed for the purpose you mention. iTunes always keeps a local copy of your media, so your proposal wouldn't work. There may be 3rd party software to accomplish what you want, but again, that isn't how iTunes is designed.

TsuaSai
Feb 15, 2006, 08:44 AM
Have you checked into an external HD? I got one in Dec. 160GB for 80 bucks. Which was worth it for me. I don't know what the smaller ones cost but I bet you could pick up a 60GB for pretty cheap and slove your problem.

Applespider
Feb 15, 2006, 08:53 AM
Create a smart playlist that has all your music in it but no videos

Open up iTunes preferences and tell iTunes that you only want to synch that playlist. You should then just be able to manually drag the videos over.

And consider the external drive - it's worth having one just for backups alone.

lieb39
Feb 18, 2006, 05:50 PM
Nope, that doesn't do it. It just gets rid of all my videos and goes in a similar mode of Auto update, where I can't drag anything to it. So no solution for the time being I guess...

-lieb39