Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Mister

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2006
I did this for my mom's iBook G3, make sure that the RAM is actually completely seated. I was absolutely sure it was seated, but then started it up and the new RAM wasn't reflected in system profiler, and I went back and realized that the thing had to be pushed another half millimeter before it locked.

chosenwolf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Ok, I'm getting really frustated. I am using a #0 philips to try and unscrew the screws for the RAM protector casing but I could only get out 2 and it seems that the screws are not going. The other 2 are literally stuck inside. I don't want to strip them, any ideas?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Make SURE that the screwdriver is an exact fit for the screw. If it is not, stop now until you have another one that is correct. You need to press down FIRMLY on the screwdriver to prevent it from riding up and out of the screw and then turn it slowly and deliberately. If you strip the screws you're, well, screwed.

chosenwolf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
Los Angeles
CanadaRAM said:
Make SURE that the screwdriver is an exact fit for the screw. If it is not, stop now until you have another one that is correct. You need to press down FIRMLY on the screwdriver to prevent it from riding up and out of the screw and then turn it slowly and deliberately. If you strip the screws you're, well, screwed.

Too late, I think. I pressed down firmly but nothings bulging. I just went out and bought a #0 phillips. I think there's something seriously wrong with these screws. I'm going to try and use a mini flathead. If not, I'm pull this off with te screws still intact!!!

toneloco2881

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
wickedG35 said:
Ok, I'm getting really frustated. I am using a #0 philips to try and unscrew the screws for the RAM protector casing but I could only get out 2 and it seems that the screws are not going. The other 2 are literally stuck inside. I don't want to strip them, any ideas?
Edited for redundancy....I type too slow!

chosenwolf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Ok I managed to get the one I stripped out with a flathead, SOB why can't apple use regular philips # screws. 1 more to go!!

chosenwolf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Cover is off!

Quick question, is the RAM chip supposed to be snapped into piece (take a look at the gold edges) or does it just sit there. I pushed both pins back and put it in.

PICT0565.JPG

chosenwolf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
Los Angeles
New memory shows! Had 256mb (1.2ghz ibook), added 512mb chip, now have 768mb total. Wow, what a difference... Now I wish I had maxed it out =/

jonat8

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2004
United Kingdom
I echo what you say about the screws. When I was upgrading my iBook's RAM, I had the right screwdriver but one screw on the memory panel wouldn't come out... I too had to strip it. It was really annoying.

chosenwolf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
Los Angeles
jonat8 said:
I echo what you say about the screws. When I was upgrading my iBook's RAM, I had the right screwdriver but one screw on the memory panel wouldn't come out... I too had to strip it. It was really annoying.

I was so frustrated with them. Right away I knew that I would have to work to get them out. Everythings cool now though! I noticed the slight lag I had while typing went away.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
In general, the robots that assemble all types of equipment tend to overtighten the screws. When unscrewing any screws for the first time, you have to 'break' that bond..., you'll sometimes hear a 'crack' as it releases. So make it a habit to assume they will be stuck and REALLY bear down on the screw to turn it that first 1/16 turn. It's better to 'over do it' (subject to the stability of the device underneath, of course) than to be too gentle and strip the screw.

chosenwolf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
Los Angeles
CanadaRAM said:
In general, the robots that assemble all types of equipment tend to overtighten the screws. When unscrewing any screws for the first time, you have to 'break' that bond..., you'll sometimes hear a 'crack' as it releases. So make it a habit to assume they will be stuck and REALLY bear down on the screw to turn it that first 1/16 turn. It's better to 'over do it' (subject to the stability of the device underneath, of course) than to be too gentle and strip the screw.

Thanks for sharing. When I put them back I didn't tighten that much in case I want to upgrade once more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.