PDA

View Full Version : 5GB iPod: Not longer available?

blackpeter
Jan 21, 2003, 12:06 PM
The 5GB iPod (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/201/wo/tM3wcAeOqyGu3N8bq1B23rFe4fj/0.3.0.3.27.19.1.3.1.1.0?83,51) no longer has options (Mac or Windows) to order it from the online store.

Was' up wit' dat?

iShater
Jan 21, 2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by tfaz1
The 5GB iPod (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/201/wo/tM3wcAeOqyGu3N8bq1B23rFe4fj/0.3.0.3.27.19.1.3.1.1.0?83,51) no longer has options (Mac or Windows) to order it from the online store.

Was' up wit' dat?

Whoa!

lmalave
Jan 21, 2003, 01:03 PM
Quite bizzare. Is this what happens when they run out of stock. Maybe the iPods are being updated soon, so Apple didn't manufacture any more of the old 5GB iPods, and ran out of their inventory sooner than expected...

iGod
Jan 21, 2003, 01:05 PM
If they've RUN OUT of inventory...could that mean...that they weren't keeping up inventory in the first place because it's going to be discontinued?
Price cuts across the line? 40GB VideoPod around the corner?
I don't believe that this was an acciental oversight by Apple...:p

iGod
Jan 21, 2003, 01:10 PM
My old 5GB iPod started to die and I took it into my local Applestore about 2 weeks or so ago and although they said they usually get replacement iPods everyday, they didn't have any for about a week. I thought it sounded a bit suspicious at the time. Then again, maybe the baby-boom of iPods beginning to go into retirement around December/Jan a year later (battery issues) put undue pressure on Apple.
But still, I'm hoping for iPodII!

davy the bunny
Jan 21, 2003, 01:29 PM
Very interesting and I think that Apple is just a little too organized to just accidentally run out of stock. . .

Bear
Jan 21, 2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by tfaz1

Was' up wit' dat?

This was also on the Apple store website: Due to significant holiday demand, the 5GB iPod is temporarily unavailable.

It would help if you had included this in your original post as well.

Anyway, it could be as they said, or it could be they are discontinuing it. We'll see soon enough I expect.

jimsmac
Jan 21, 2003, 01:57 PM
They have removed the option to purchase the 5gig at the UK Apple Store as well.

Now, either something is up or they've run out of the stock in the UK and in the US at the same time!

MacFan25
Jan 21, 2003, 02:27 PM
Yes, I agree that Apple is too organized to just run out of stock. It could be holiday demand though, but I doubt it. I am really hoping for some price cuts/updates for the iPod. I will be interesting to see what happens.:D

chewbaccapits
Jan 21, 2003, 02:35 PM
I was hoping they would MAYBE update the palyers..I have the cash to pluck one down! I wait some more..

blackpeter
Jan 21, 2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Bear

This was also on the Apple store website: Due to significant holiday demand, the 5GB iPod is temporarily unavailable.

It would help if you had included this in your original post as well.

So sorry. You know, I would've if that message was on the site when I posted.

It would help me if you were a little quicker to check up on posts. Don't assume that you're the only one who's capible of noticing the obvious.

Mikler
Jan 21, 2003, 03:28 PM
It's no longer avaible here in Denmark either - and it doesn't say anything about holiday-sales ... something's up!!

DVDSP
Jan 21, 2003, 03:45 PM
I checked the Dell web site. The 10 Gig and 20 Gig iPod are listed as "Usually Ships: 5-7 days", but the 5 Gig is shown as 3+ weeks.

I also checked at BestBuy.com. 10 Gig 5-7 Days, 20 Gig 2-3 days, 5 Gig "Not available for delivery at this time."

FlamDrag
Jan 21, 2003, 03:46 PM
I guess the strangest thing to me is that the Windows AND Mac versions are not available. It seems like they would run out of one or the other, but not both.

It seems that if something medium-cool were up they would just keep taking orders as usual (not to raise suspicions) and then release something new and ask those that ordered if they'd like the new thing instead. Sort of like powerbook sales the 2 weeks (or so) before MWSF.

Either something very huge (big enough that the same price wouldn't buy something in the new lineup) is coming.

OR

nothing at all and Apple isn't fibbing to us.

Hmmm... Is there any way to find out if they've purchased a super bowl spot? Could they be announcing something then?

iGod
Jan 21, 2003, 03:47 PM
This is getting too exciting for me! An international shortage of iPods!

Check out my post on the Other News section about CNN's gadget of the week!
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?threadid=18108

Could it be...?

When do you think they would make an announcement? This Friday...the 25th? Release date for iLife? Perhaps next Tuesday? I don't think they're going to wait much longer than a week or so to make an announcement if they're discontinuing the 5GB iPods (and replacing them with the 10GB at the same price point...maybe they're delaying so that other retailers can finish off their inventory too (did anyone read the thread about the discounted iPods?). I know that the only other major non-Apple Apple retailer in Manhattan (J&R Computerworld) had special deals with the iPod last month with up to $100 with a certain bundle...which came as a bit of a surprise since they NEVER have Apple sales on anything.

joed
Jan 21, 2003, 04:21 PM
Firstly, why is this tread in the software section and not hardware?

And secondly, the 5gig is also not available from the Australian store - no reason given. Hmm, interesting!

James.

MacFan25
Jan 21, 2003, 04:47 PM
That would be great if they lowered the price of all the iPods. I've been waiting for a while now to get an iPod. Hopefully this is something, and they aren't just out of stock. I guess I will wait and see what happens. :D

joed
Jan 21, 2003, 04:52 PM
I tend to believe Apple that they are purely sold out at the moment. I'm sure the sales of the 10/20gig are selling better now - ie people may get a larger capacity iPod rather than wait for new stock of the 5gig.

And because the iPods are selling so well, there's no reason for Apple to rush out a revision. We'll only see new iPods when sales start to fall, and that probably wont be for a few more months at the earliest.

Le Big Mac
Jan 21, 2003, 04:54 PM
If Apple were going to get them back in stock, why would they not take orders? Companies are always happy to take orders, except when they know they won't have the product any longer. This way, customers who want a 5gb iPod will turn to other sources/stores, and deplete those supplies (not that apple doesn't get the money anyway). But it prevents disappointment and administrative hassles.

It simply makes no sense not to take the order, rather than simply say "expected shipping in 3+ weeks" or something.

Sounds like something's up (of course, maybe the 5gb iPod is just getting the touch-sensitive scroll wheel).

joed
Jan 21, 2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Le Big Mac
If Apple were going to get them back in stock, why would they not take orders? Companies are always happy to take orders, except when they know they won't have the product any longer. This way, customers who want a 5gb iPod will turn to other sources/stores, and deplete those supplies (not that apple doesn't get the money anyway). But it prevents disappointment and administrative hassles.

It simply makes no sense not to take the order, rather than simply say "expected shipping in 3+ weeks" or something.

Sounds like something's up (of course, maybe the 5gb iPod is just getting the touch-sensitive scroll wheel).

Good point there. It's like the when the LCD iMac come out, there was such demand for it, that there was huge waiting times on the things - yet they still took orders (I think). By the term "temporarily unavailable" it does suggest it will be back. So it's unlikely been dropped completely or is getting a full makeover, but the inclusion of the touch sensitive pad and maybe a smaller case (like the 10gig) sounds logical.

Stike
Jan 21, 2003, 05:08 PM
"Due to heavy demand, the 5 GB model is not available now"
It says in Apple Store Germany!

There is something going on, guys!!!

iGod
Jan 21, 2003, 05:13 PM
Touch-sensitive scroll wheel? Phooey! Me thinks not.
We're getting something MUCH cooler than that. The low-end model will be the 10GB - they're not just going to update the 5GB with a little tinkering here and there. They're updating the top-of-the line and moving the rest down a notch.
Then again, it could just be that they're gonna have 40GB iPods at the top without any major overhaul to the iPod concept...that would be a bit of a letdown. I want 100 DVDs in my pocket!:D

Over Achiever
Jan 21, 2003, 05:22 PM
Why is this in the software discussion section?:confused:

RachelF2
Jan 21, 2003, 05:31 PM
I just bought a 20GB iPod on Jan. 8 (Yes, I was waiting for the MacWold keynote!) and it was backordered until 1/29. I called to cancel the order (I was going to just go to the nearest Apple store) and the said it would be shipped today. This leads me to believe they may have been a little light on all the iPods. Heavy holiday rush or purposly understocked, I don't know, but shortage is not unique to 5GB models.

MacFan25
Jan 21, 2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Le Big Mac

I have been hoping that the 5 GB got the touch-sensitive scroll wheel, because if I get an iPod, it will probably be the 5 GB (unless they discontinue it). So I am hoping that they update the 5 GB a little bit, or discontinue the 5 GB and make the 10 GB the low-end model.

beez7777
Jan 21, 2003, 06:00 PM
this is really cool, hope somethin big is comin. the apple japan and canada online stores dont have them either, so somethins up. :D

chewbaccapits
Jan 21, 2003, 06:05 PM
"Firstly, why is this tread in the software section and not hardware?"

relax...wrong "place" BFD.....some of you guys are just way to anal...Let the admin do his job...

mangoman
Jan 21, 2003, 07:39 PM
this is great..... You guys rock... I 'm just here tracking the trackers, and loving every minute of it.

macstudent
Jan 21, 2003, 07:58 PM
Why not continue to manufacture the current ipods and just sell them at a reduced rate instead of ceasing production. I am sure they would still sell a boadload of them if they lowered the price of the 5 gb to $199.

melchior
Jan 21, 2003, 08:45 PM
margins, margins, margins... apple is all about margins. that's why it can be difficult to get discontinued apple models. you can't wait until the mirror door powermacs are only $999 because it will never happen... just never, apple controls the market tightly

janey
Jan 21, 2003, 11:48 PM
they've gotta be doing something but 40gb iPods are out of the question, unless Toshiba or whoever makes the iPod hard drives makes the bigger capacity hard drives smaller.
Do you have any idea how big the 5 and 20gb models are? 40 is going to be like the size of a book!
Hopefully they're making some adjustments to it...maybe a slimmer 5gb or a total redesign. (more likely than 40gb iPods and iPods that can play mubies)

iGod
Jan 21, 2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by macstudent
Why not continue to manufacture the current ipods and just sell them at a reduced rate instead of ceasing production. I am sure they would still sell a boadload of them if they lowered the price of the 5 gb to $199.

If the 5GB was so cheap, the high end model would look way over-priced. And why sell something for less when you can sell something for more! If people don't have the option, they just HAVE to buy the $299 model. And that's 100 bucks extra for Apple.

springscansing
Jan 22, 2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by iGod

If the 5GB was so cheap, the high end model would look way over-priced. And why sell something for less when you can sell something for more! If people don't have the option, they just HAVE to buy the $299 model. And that's 100 bucks extra for Apple.

If they make half as much and sell three time as many, they make more money, that's why.

I'm not saying this is the case in this instance.. but think damnit. Think!

KLFloyd
Jan 22, 2003, 10:25 AM
I haven't seen it posted here so I'll go ahead and post it. Not only are the 5GB "out of stock" but the 10 and 20GB are also looking at a 5-7 day ship time.

Here's the story from macminute.com:

5GB iPod unavailable at Apple Store due to "significant holiday demand"
January 21, 2003 - 16:09 EST__ Several readers note that the online Apple Store has been updated with an explanation for the lack of in-stock 5GB iPods. The note reads, "Due to significant holiday demand, the 5GB iPod is temporarily unavailable." The wait for both the 10GB and 20GB iPods is 5-7 days.

Maybe I'm just being optimistic but I REALLY hope for updates. I too waited till MacWorld for updates, and since none came, I decided to wait a little longer.

What do you all think about the Jan 25th timetable? THis would seem to fit within Apple's 5-7 day wait period and would coinside with iLife, maybe more press at one big event, more bang for Apple's PR buck.

will
Jan 22, 2003, 10:35 AM
What updates do we actually need? There are a few reasonable suggestions, e.g. recording, but in the main I think all they can really do is cut the price. Don't mess with the iPod, it's very nice as it is (though it could do with a firmware update to support ogg that doesn't require a new version of the hardware).
The iPod is one of the few Apple products that doen't need updating (though I don't discount the posibility of another iPod like DLD). Oh and they might discontinue the older 5GB version.

thirdeg
Jan 22, 2003, 10:50 AM
I don't know if this will clear anything up but Hitachi released a 1.8" 40GB HD on 6 Jan 03

Hitachi Press Release (http://www.hgst.com/about/news/20030106-2.html)

thirdeg
Jan 22, 2003, 10:53 AM
Oh and did anyone else realise Hitachi and IBM Storage had merged?

MacBandit
Jan 22, 2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by übergeek
they've gotta be doing something but 40gb iPods are out of the question, unless Toshiba or whoever makes the iPod hard drives makes the bigger capacity hard drives smaller.
Do you have any idea how big the 5 and 20gb models are? 40 is going to be like the size of a book!
Hopefully they're making some adjustments to it...maybe a slimmer 5gb or a total redesign. (more likely than 40gb iPods and iPods that can play mubies)

There are currently available 40GB drive that are the same size as the 20GB ones in the current iPod. In other words not much bigger then the 5GB iPod. Did you know that the smallest iPod is the 10GB?

The new larger HD was release around Christmas. At the same time they made a press release saying there will be a 60GB in a couple month and a 80GB before the end of the year.

faustfire7
Jan 22, 2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by will
What updates do we actually need? There are a few reasonable suggestions, e.g. recording, but in the main I think all they can really do is cut the price. Don't mess with the iPod, it's very nice as it is (though it could do with a firmware update to support ogg that doesn't require a new version of the hardware).
The iPod is one of the few Apple products that doen't need updating (though I don't discount the posibility of another iPod like DLD). Oh and they might discontinue the older 5GB version.
I agree, the ipod is fine as it is, but ogg and mp4 would be nice. And of course a price drop!

KLFloyd
Jan 22, 2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by faustfire7

I agree, the ipod is fine as it is, but ogg and mp4 would be nice. And of course a price drop!

Yeah, and a fix to the battery issue...have you all checked out the other discusson boards and seen how many iPods have died just after the one year warranty is up (and a lot prior) there's got to be a design flaw somewhere.

We need user changable batteries, MPG4 support (which yes could be done by firmware), a price drop for sure. Of course I have a few others on my "wish list" but I think that's all we really NEED

I also agree with the few who have posted that Apple is making a mistake by droping the 5GB iPods. For the AVERAGE person (and I think we would all agree that most of us on this board are not average) a 5GB iPod is all they need, at $199 they'd just fly off the shelf. You'd start seeing iPods like we see CD players now.

Just my two cents...

iAlan
Jan 22, 2003, 11:09 AM
Tha Apple Japan Store lists the iPod specs for the 5GB model, but no 'buttons' to order.

10GB and 20GB OK though....

Let's hope something is brewing, my iPod (bought the first day available in Japan) is dying the dreaded battery deth.

seven5
Jan 22, 2003, 11:20 AM
i've been watching this all week, and i decide to take my 10 gb iPod back to best buy. I bought mine on the 23rd of December at best buy, cause i knew if somehting was released at Macworld, i could take it back. Well nothing happend in SF on the 7th, so i kept it. But all this talk, and lack of stock all over the world made me take it back. I'll wait it out over the next week and see what happens, and if nothing happens, i'll just buy it again. I can live without it for a week, especially if i can get 100 dollars off or new features..... PS I miss my iPod already :(

primalman
Jan 22, 2003, 11:23 AM
That "Whispers" site has a logo on it that is way too like the avatar for PowerJack, aka Jack Campbell from the SpyMac site. You remember this guy, the one who was illegally reselling high-end computer furniture last fall at super-high mark-up! Higher than the original maker!

Also, who is an ex-con, put away for who knows what. Who said that he was a power guru, then in the same thread said he was a marketing consultant, then in another thread said he worked for a large power consulting firm, then later in the thread said that he owned 3 marketing companies, then it came out, through a link he supplied, that he WAS a power consultant who charged about $25,000 a day for services, and linked off to his interactive calendar, that had no business meetings scheduled for the next 6 months.

ACK! HOSER! I would not put a whole lot of stock in these words of his.

MikeH
Jan 22, 2003, 11:26 AM
If they are going to update the iPod, why would only the 5gb version be unavailable?

Maybe they are going to update the iPod soon-ish but I don't think a lack of stock, even in other countries, is evidence enough. After all iPods aren't built in the the countries of sale like the Mac's are, so if they run out - they run out everywhere. Good Christmas sales seem more likely to me.

Now if they were all unavailable that would be different...

Nebrie
Jan 22, 2003, 11:27 AM
Spymac is franchising? god no!

GPTurismo
Jan 22, 2003, 11:39 AM
I don't understand apple. They could release the new ipods, and drop the price of the 5 gig to 199 and completely dominate the market. Instead the drop a lower price option all together and keep their new low end at 299 :\

Same thing with the monitors. If I could order 15 inch LCDs for 399 i would have 2 O:-)

Instead they just shift their line. :\

oldMac
Jan 22, 2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by joed
And because the iPods are selling so well, there's no reason for Apple to rush out a revision. We'll only see new iPods when sales start to fall, and that probably wont be for a few more months at the earliest.

That's not necessarily true. It's possible that Apple does intend to continue selling 5GB iPods, but has a new design that costs less to produce.

Or, maybe they sell a lot more 10GB iPods than 5GB and they intend to drop the 5GB Pod altogether while introducing a lower priced 10GB and a new 40GB at the top.

Just because demand hasn't dropped off doesn't mean that there wouldn't be other economic factors that could help Apple to modify the line-up.

FelixDerKater
Jan 22, 2003, 12:20 PM
Same thing at Apple Store Deutschland...

Nothing about the Holidays, just citing strong demand right now...

oldMac
Jan 22, 2003, 12:29 PM
Hi All,

Look on the Apple Store page at this graphic...

http://www.apple.com/r/store/ipodinfoblock/images/new_02a.gif

Note the "a" appended at the end of the graphic. Now look at:

http://www.apple.com/r/store/ipodinfoblock/images/new_02.gif

The difference is that the pricing information has been removed from the newer graphic version.

Perhaps we're in for price drops? Both graphics reference the same models 5, 10, 20GB. Why bother to change that graphic unless you're looking to drop the prices?

mangoman
Jan 22, 2003, 12:34 PM
DOG WILL HUNT!

Man, you guys don't miss a beat. Awesome!

Le Big Mac
Jan 22, 2003, 12:59 PM
Why bother to change that graphic unless you're looking to drop the prices? [/B]

What does a price drop have to do with unavailability? If they're going to drop the price, they would try to sell as many as possible at current prices. At worst, they would refund the difference.

I agree with those who question dropping the 5gb model. While I'm all for updates and bigger versions, why not keep the low-end version? It's not like it can't handle new software; it's solely a capacity question.

oldMac
Jan 22, 2003, 01:38 PM
Simple, because if the new 5GB model is a re-design (even if just internally) they will likely be able to build it cheaper, be able to lower the price and sell more of them, and make the same or better profit.

Here's the scenario:

Engineer Says:
- Our new iPod design is ready! We will save $50 per unit with the new process

Steve Says:
- Great! Order a 100,000 of them. When can we have them?

Engineer Says:
- By the 2nd week of January

Steve Says:
- Well, that's a little behind our MacWorld target, but we'll take what we can get. Don't order any more of the old version. We don't want any inventory of that when the new one comes in.

Engineer Says:
- No problem!

(weeks later)

Engineer Says:
- Oops! We didn't get our new inventory in and we've run out of the old version!

Steve Says:
- No problem. Just have the store folks say something like... er... "unavailable due to high holiday sales"... yeah... the investors will like that explanation
- How long for the new ones to come in?

Engineer Says:
- Supplier says "real soon now"

Steve Says:
- Okay. Thanks. And, by the way, you're fired.

mangoman
Jan 22, 2003, 01:43 PM
LOL

crazylb1
Jan 22, 2003, 01:49 PM
Wow its been a long time since I posted last...

anyway, oldMac since when have 5gb ipods been available for Windows? I just checked the Appl web site and only 5gb's are available to mac users.

Where I'm getting this is from that graphic you posted it says, in that last sentence that's different "and all three are now available to both Mac and Windows users."

anything weird about that guys?

seven5
Jan 22, 2003, 01:58 PM
HERE (http://www2.warehouse.com/product.asp?pf%5Fid=ACC5889&cat=mac&blind=
) is a link to marwarehouse

they have 5 gig windows iPods....

But good try, heh, you got me all tingly for a second...

crazylb1
Jan 22, 2003, 02:07 PM
ok nevermind then

oldMac
Jan 22, 2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by crazylb1
... since when have 5gb ipods been available for Windows? I just checked the Appl web site and only 5gb's are available to mac users.

For a long time they have been, I think...

Where I'm getting this is from that graphic you posted it says, in that last sentence that's different "and all three are now available to both Mac and Windows users."

anything weird about that guys?

Both of the graphics say that. It's only the previous sentence (that mentions pricing) that's different between the two.

AmbitiousLemon
Jan 22, 2003, 02:10 PM
i dont think there is any reason to believe 5Gb ipods are going to be updated or dropped. They are simply the biggest sellers.

And the firewire800 low power units could just as easily be for laptops.

seven5
Jan 22, 2003, 02:18 PM
i'm not very familiar with the firewire 800 specs. Is it lower power? will the iPod take less power to charge? if so, this is the only reason to need it. I have an iPod and i have a firewire harddrive. I don't see the speed on the iPod that i do on the regular harddrive. The HD in the iPod is the bottelneck, it can't even get full speeds on firewire. SO i can't imagine it would be anyfaster using firewire 800.

yzedf
Jan 22, 2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by thirdeg
I don't know if this will clear anything up but Hitachi released a 1.8" 40GB HD on 6 Jan 03

Hitachi Press Release (http://www.hgst.com/about/news/20030106-2.html)

Not released... but announced. To quote:

The new Hitachi Travelstar Compact Series C4K40, available in 40 and 20 gigabyte capacities, is built in a newly introduced 1.8-inch form factor. The new drive is compliant with the SFF8111 standard, making it a perfect match for laptop computers, tablet PCs, handheld computers, portable consumer electronics and other pervasive computing devices supporting this standard form factor. The new drive will be available in April of this year.

It is time for a price change though. They got the overpriced holiday rush thing done now...

yzedf
Jan 22, 2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by thirdeg
Oh and did anyone else realise Hitachi and IBM Storage had merged?

Yes. IBM is getting rid of their desktop line of IDE drives. The good server stuff they are still going to produce.

This was brought on by dropping of 3yr warranties to 1yr as well as the limited reliability of the hdd's release (DeskStar line?) in the past year or so.

Much the same idealogy as what they did with Lexmark. Hopefully not as expensive though...

primalman
Jan 22, 2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by yzedf

Yes. IBM is getting rid of their desktop line of IDE drives. The good server stuff they are still going to produce.

This was brought on by dropping of 3yr warranties to 1yr as well as the limited reliability of the hdd's release (DeskStar line?) in the past year or so.

Don't you mean the IBM DEATHSTAR hard drives?

:mad:

KLFloyd
Jan 22, 2003, 03:59 PM
Okay, I have a quick question. Maybe I'm missing something here but if they release the firewire using the new firewire 800 interface as noted above (and on the main macrumors page) this mean that the ONLY people who will be able to use the new iPod are people with the new FireWire 800 PowerBooks?

This can't be so. Apple's not THAT evil to make all of us iPod owners who want to upgade buy new Macs with FireWire 800...are they?

seven5
Jan 22, 2003, 04:05 PM
i'm not too sure why i was quoted on that post.....

primalman
Jan 22, 2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by KLFloyd
Okay, I have a quick question. Maybe I'm missing something here but if they release the firewire using the new firewire 800 interface as noted above (and on the main macrumors page) this mean that the ONLY people who will be able to use the new iPod are people with the new FireWire 800 PowerBooks?

This can't be so. Apple's not THAT evil to make all of us iPod owners who want to upgade buy new Macs with FireWire 800...are they?

No, FW800 can e adapted down to FW400, so an iPod with FW800 can use a FW400 port on a computer, just needs a small adapter. At least this is how I understand the way the new FW works

KLFloyd
Jan 22, 2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by primalman

No, FW800 can e adapted down to FW400, so an iPod with FW800 can use a FW400 port on a computer, just needs a small adapter. At least this is how I understand the way the new FW works

You may be right...but my undertanding from Job's keynote was different.

I was under the impression that a Mac with FW800 could use FW400 devices, with the adapter. Not the other way around. In the case as described above, the iPod would be the newer device (just like any other CD Burner or Scanner) trying to use the older machine...again I could be wrong just my limited understanding of how that worked.

Reguardless, if it works...I'm sure apple will want us to throw out another $50 for the adapter as our penalty for not upgrading to FW800 machines.

If anyone else out ther has any other info please do chime in...

iGod
Jan 22, 2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by springscansing

If they make half as much and sell three time as many, they make more money, that's why.

I'm not saying this is the case in this instance.. but think damnit. Think!

Er...you don't know how price elastic their demand curves are so you can't make that inference.

I'm guessing that if the 'old' 5GB were to go for significantly cheaper, it would not be very profitable (it's profits, not revenues that are the most important!) for Apple or else they would have already done it. If they can sell truckloads at the current price point, why tinker with the equation? They wouldn't want buyers opting out of higher technology for cheaper low-tech. Otherwise we'd have Steve selling Apple IIs for $20 a pop and the fruity iBooks for under $500.

Goblin2099
Jan 22, 2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by primalman

From what I understand of what the Firewire 800 spec was supposed to be (and this is from something I read at least six months ago, so something could have changed), was that the FW800 ports could accept 400 without an adapter. They described the system as FW800 port being a full rectangle, so that a cable designed for it would be too big to fit in an old port, but an old cable would fit into the 800 port with a little empty space around the part where it tapers.

Don't know where adapters fit in, maybe they can be used to fit an 800 cable to a 400 port.

iSmell
Jan 22, 2003, 07:07 PM
Why would they use FW800 when an iPod doesn't need nearly that much bandwidth? Does anything need that much bandwidth? Maybe I'm calculating something wrong, but it seems like 400Mbps is plenty fast for any hard drive based type thing, especially a slower 1.8" drive.

If the 800 ports are as described (full rectangle instead of rounded on one side) then it would make sense just to gradually move everything in that direction. But then why would the 17" AlBook have a 400 port? And Jobs did say something about an adapter, didn't he?

Personally, I don't think the FW800 things are going to be in iPods. Maybe for laptops for target disk mode? Who knows...

MikeL
Jan 22, 2003, 07:13 PM
It's entirely possible that Apple is telling the truth (that unexpected holiday demand has led to the unavailibility) and is coming out with new models. If they underestimated holiday demand they may have sold of out inventory that they expected to last until new models arrived.

Sol
Jan 22, 2003, 09:31 PM
Now that Apple sells iPods for Windows as well, why would they wait until the 5GB model runs out for both platforms before introducing new models? Apple could offload all the leftover iPods to Dell, Target, etc and simply change the installer software while on the Mac side new models could be introduced at any time. This would send out a clear message to the Windows users that if they want the latest and greatest they should be using a Mac.

Sol
Jan 22, 2003, 09:39 PM
By the way, isn't FireWire 2 able to slow down to the original FireWire's speed just like USB 2.0 devices can do when plugged into USB 1.1 ports? I do not think FireWire 2 would be necessary for hard drive speed but maybe it has more to do with the power output.

weev
Jan 22, 2003, 09:50 PM
the 5gig is also not available from the Australian store

The baby iPod is on the Austalian Apple site, I just checked.

But one has new gadget feeling coming on strong...

KLFloyd
Jan 22, 2003, 09:53 PM
Just FYI, this is what the Apple website says about FW 800's compatibality:

Backwards compatibility. Manufacturers have adopted FireWire for a broad range of devices, such as DV cameras, hard drives, digital still cameras, professional audio, printers, scanners and home entertainment. Adapter cables for the FireWire 800 9-pin connector let you use these FireWire 400 products on the FireWire 800 port

I'm not sure how well this will work when hooking up a mac to an iPod but it looks like some kind of converter will be required for sure. The adapter Apple's selling on their site is $50. So maybe they will drop the price on the iPod, then they'll stick you again for another $50 just to make it work on your mac (sigh).

Though I'm hoping no FireWire 2 on iPods. It really doesnt' seem necessary.

MacBandit
Jan 23, 2003, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by crazylb1
anyway, oldMac since when have 5gb ipods been available for Windows?

They changed all the iPods at the same time. There is no difference between any iPod besides the hard drive and of course the case size. Other then that they use the same chips and memory. Therefore it's just a matter of software whether or not Apple calls them PC or Mac. In real world use for a Mac user the difference between a PC and a Mac iPod is not worth talking about they both work on the mac in the same way. The only difference being the included software for it. The biggest difference though is if you hav e PC iPod you can use it on a PC also.

MacBandit
Jan 23, 2003, 12:56 AM
FIREWIRE 800

For everyone out there wondering about Firewire 800 and the iPod. Plain and simply it will not happen. The hard drive in the iPod is not nearly fast enough to even use half of the bandwidth of the Firewire 400 let alone need the bandwidth of the new version. It is also an added cost. Because it's a new technology the manufacturing has not paid for itself and has not been completely thought out for efficiency. So no doubt Firewire 800 hardware will cost more initially.

redAPPLE
Jan 23, 2003, 05:01 AM
my take:

5 gig: scroll wheel like the 10 and 20gig. remote included.

40 gig: mic in connection, rendezvous capability, different flavors to choose from.

primalman
Jan 23, 2003, 08:19 AM

You may be right...but my undertanding from Job's keynote was different.

I was under the impression that a Mac with FW800 could use FW400 devices, with the adapter. Not the other way around. In the case as described above, the iPod would be the newer device (just like any other CD Burner or Scanner) trying to use the older machine...again I could be wrong just my limited understanding of how that worked.

Reguardless, if it works...I'm sure apple will want us to throw out another $50 for the adapter as our penalty for not upgrading to FW800 machines.

If anyone else out ther has any other info please do chime in...

What I understand is that the interface bridges for FW are the same on each end, ie the FW 800 in the Mac and the FW800 in the accessorie are the same. If it is possible to use an adapter on teh Mac port to slow it down to 400 and allow the 6/4 pin cable, why not allow an adapter on the accessorie [iPod] end to slow it down to allow it to be used on a FW400 port on a machine? This is the beauty of the FW since it a host independent hardware set, the bridges are in most respects the same.

BTW, I agree with the posters who are saying that the iPod will not have FW800, it's just too fast for a device that already has trouble filling up the FW400 pipe. The hard drive in the iPod could never even get close to the 800, no way. Perhaps a couple of years down the road, but is after FW400 is no longer showing up on any Macs, and FW has scaled out to the full range of 800-3600Mbps. And the thing you plug in can keep up of course. HDs gotta get faster. Perhaps Solid State Memory?! :)

melchior
Jan 23, 2003, 08:23 AM
substantially sized, stable, reasonably priced solid state hard drives... i will cry for joy when this happens, oh how the day does draw ever closer.... *sigh*

and yes, no fw800.

mangoman
Jan 23, 2003, 08:28 AM
Criminey, I wish Apple would release this little beast, whatever it is. And NOW, fercryinoutloud.

Only they can do it right, but, uhhhhh, D*MN! JUST DO IT!

Muy frustrado,

mangoman

KLFloyd
Jan 23, 2003, 03:57 PM
From the Think Secret Website: (http://www.thinksecret.com)

iLife delayed until Jan. 31; hardware upgrades at fault
By Nick dePlume, Publisher and Editor in Chief

January 23, 2003 - Sources confirmed today that the sale of Apple's iLife software package has been delayed from January 25, this weekend, until January 31. However, the date was backed up not as the result of any software issue, but rather to correspond with the release of new hardware speed bumps.

According to our sources, iLife discs have already been burned and Apple's retail locations are already sitting on boxes of the bundle, ready to sell: While the sale has been delayed, the shipment clearly has not.

In fact, the delay has nothing to do with iLife itself or its applications, but rather the forthcoming upgrades to iMacs and other hardware. iLife has been delayed to correspond with the release of the new hardware, on which the iLife applications will be pre-installed.

The new models will tentatively be announced the following week, probably on Monday, February 3.

Think Secret is usually on the money, allthough the iPod and iLife really have nothing directley to do with eachother (other than iTunes) could it be the time table for the new iPod release is Feb. 3 as well? Lump all the updates into one event for the Press?

I hope so!

MacFan25
Jan 23, 2003, 05:11 PM
Think Secret is usually on the money, allthough the iPod and iLife really have nothing directley to do with eachother (other than iTunes) could it be the time table for the new iPod release is Feb. 3 as well? Lump all the updates into one event for the Press?

I sure hope so! :D

cliffm
Jan 23, 2003, 05:37 PM
My Ipod was delayed AGAIN!!! This time until Jan 31 :eek:

grrr

This is the same thing that happened to my Powerbook order right before they announced the 17"s.

Apple is trying to tell us something.

mangoman
Jan 23, 2003, 05:40 PM
hmmm. This is gettin' interesting! Keep that 411 coming!

Cheers.

LeafyGreens
Jan 23, 2003, 07:07 PM
As of right now, the 5GB iPod is completely unavailable at the following online Apple Stores:

- Austria
- Australia
- Belgium
- Canada
- Denmark
- Finland
- France
- Germany
- Hong Kong
- Republic of Ireland
- Italy
- Japan
- Netherlands
- Norway
- Singapore
- Spain
- Sweden
- Switzerland
- UK
- USA

(That's all of them!)

LeafyGreens
Jan 23, 2003, 07:16 PM
Right now, Amazon.com has one 5GB (Mac) iPod left in stock. It's out of the 5GB (Win) iPod. They say, "This item is not stocked or has been discontinued."

g30ffr3y
Jan 24, 2003, 04:16 PM

I hope so!

thats the thing... i think the new ipods will have a lot to do with ilife... itunes of course, but now that itunes is integrated directly with iphoto for slideshows i think the ipod will be updated as well be it with a colour screen or simply outputs to hook it up to your home theatre, or anyones for that matter to share your creations... the ipod will be the new slide projector if you will, hopefully with more interesting content than grandmas trip to hawaii... but thats just my opinion... a worldwide outage of ipods does spell new DLD to me...

benixau
Jan 24, 2003, 04:49 PM
me thinks (hopes) 5GB no longer. prices move down like before

10GB = 5GBprice etc

then apple releases a 40GB iPod with tvOut function through their mini-VGA port. small port, lots of options.

also if you take it that they are adding video function to the ipod then it makes sense to dro the 5. how much video + music + contacts + ical can a 5GB really hold.

oh well. have to wait and see. not like i have money now anyways. i am saving for a TiBook 1G

Sol
Jan 24, 2003, 08:54 PM
The low-end iPod should remain at 5GB if it means a new price drop. If Apple updates the firmware to make it play MP4s then a bit more music would fit in 5GB than is possible with MP3.

melchior
Jan 26, 2003, 03:44 AM
well

10gb mac & win have moved back to 1-2 days shipping
as has the 20gb mac

howover the 20gb win says, regardiny shipping estimate "currently unavailable"

5gb are of course still unavailable for order.

KLFloyd
Jan 27, 2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by melchior
well

10gb mac & win have moved back to 1-2 days shipping
as has the 20gb mac

howover the 20gb win says, regardiny shipping estimate "currently unavailable"

5gb are of course still unavailable for order.

Yeah I saw that...so any thoughts on what that means now?

Could it be that either supply reall was the problem...

Or is Steve just messing with our minds? You know he said during his Keynote that he read the rumor sites.

KLFloyd
Jan 27, 2003, 12:49 PM
Just adding more fuel to the fire here, this was from MacMinute:

Jack Osbourne and Donny Osmond talk about their iPods in behind the scenes footage from their new Pepsi Twist commercial, which debuted during the Super Bowl yesterday. Click on "Exclusive Behind the Scenes Footage" and then go to "Episode #2 Battle of the Bands" to view it. The interesting part of the footage is when Osmond says that he has a 20GB iPod, while Osbourne has a 40GB model

Jack Osbourne with a 40GB iPod? Interesting...probably not true but interesting...

cliffm
Jan 27, 2003, 09:00 PM
The ship time for the 20 gig is up to 5-7 days again. I think new ones are on the way and will be here this week.

Did anyone get a look at Jack's Ipod? Does it look the same as the current models? Wondering if there is going to be a cosmetic upgrade as well.

KLFloyd
Jan 28, 2003, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by cliffm
The ship time for the 20 gig is up to 5-7 days again. I think new ones are on the way and will be here this week.

Did anyone get a look at Jack's Ipod? Does it look the same as the current models? Wondering if there is going to be a cosmetic upgrade as well.

Yeah, I noticed that too. Now all the iPods (except 5GB) are back to 5-7 day wait time. Strange. But here's my question: In addation to iLife it looks for sure like Apple will release 10.2.4 and new iMacs this week, would they update the iPod line at the same time. That seems like a lot of updates to come just a few weeks after MacWorld.

And, if all these updates are happening, when? Surley Apple would put out some kidn of PR saying "Steve Jobs will introduce updates on (Whenever) at (Whatever time)." And when will they be posted to the Apple Store? Since no updates are up as of this morning does that mean it's not happening today? Someone on one of the other boards said that Apple changes their webpage at Midnight, not sure if that's true or not.

As for the pepsi ad, the video was pretty small but it looked just like a normal iPod. Considering that commercial was probably made months ago I highley dobut it's a 40gb iPod. Link so you can see for yourself if you haven't already done so. You're going to want to click on "Episode 2: Battle of the Bands"
here?http://www.pepsitwist.com/osbournes/index.htm

Bear
Jan 28, 2003, 07:32 AM

And, if all these updates are happening, when? Surley Apple would put out some kidn of PR saying "Steve Jobs will introduce updates on (Whenever) at (Whatever time)." And when will they be posted to the Apple Store? Since no updates are up as of this morning does that mean it's not happening today? Someone on one of the other boards said that Apple changes their webpage at Midnight, not sure if that's true or not.

General web site updates take place at midnight.

When web site changes for new product introductions tend to take place during Trade Show talks (like MacWorld keynote speech) and press conferences is at the end of the announcement/speech. With a product that comes out not attached to either of those, the web site tends to get a 9AM Eastern or 9AM pacific time update.

Having said that, since the Apple Store is offline currently (8:30 Eastern) I suspect new products will be up at 9AM Eastern today. Whatever the changes to the store are.

KLFloyd
Jan 28, 2003, 08:36 AM
I just saw the new products released and was so bummed to see there was no iPod and very surprised to see there was no new iMac. I thought all the rumors were pointing to new iMacs.

Some people on the other boards are saying that we'll see updates of the consumer line a week from today but I find that hard to believe. Would apple really revamp it's entire product line inside a month? Is this common?

I'm starting to loose hope that we'll see new iPods anytime in the near future though I hope I'm plesentley surprised. Any thoughts on what the chances are now?

Sol
Jan 28, 2003, 08:57 AM
The PowerMacs and the Powerbooks are professional class machines. iPod, iBook, & iMac are consumer class. Consumers do not spend during war. Apple may want to release consumer updates later, rather than sooner.

KLFloyd
Jan 29, 2003, 01:07 PM
I was just checking out Education prices on Apple's Education store for my school and I was very surprised to see that the section of the store that features the iPod now has the "New" green dot over it. I immediatley clicked on the link and nothing had changed.

It's a little curious because the only other items on the site that have the new logo are the new PowerBooks and the new PowerMacs and now the iPod. However, the iPod still says the same text, 20GB Model, wired remote, etc...just has the "new" logo on it.

Maybe I'm digging too deep here but it caught my eye. I'm REALLY hoping for new iPod updates and I guess I'm just clinging to any rumor out there.

sparks9
Jan 29, 2003, 02:21 PM
toshiba has now released a 40 gig hd that fits the iPod.
www.macwhispers.com says that they expect a new iPod within 30 days from now...
I think that would mean that the other ones drop in price.

primalman
Jan 29, 2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by sparks9
toshiba has now released a 40 gig hd that fits the iPod.
www.macwhispers.com says that they expect a new iPod within 30 days from now...
I think that would mean that the other ones drop in price.

Don't trust the MacWhispers. It's a new thing by one Jack Campbell, who a few months ago had MacTable.com, illegally selling high-end office furniture, shut down quickly, and has had many net incarnations, all seemed very fly by night, and contradictated himself and his expertise many times in the same thread, over and over.

A hoser, in short. MacCentral has decided not to listen to his site. Beware.:eek:

sparks9
Jan 29, 2003, 03:04 PM
well... take a look at toshibas website.. the 40 gig is there.

primalman
Jan 29, 2003, 03:32 PM
well... take a look at toshibas website.. the 40 gig is there.

I'm not talking about some of the validity of public knowledge he prints, just that in general, I would not support this site. Much of his public credibility has been damaged in recent past events he has participated in. In fact, since his Mactable fiasco last fall, he has been off the radar till now, and this is a pretty incognito presence.

Oh, BTW, MacWhispers.com, by a supposed mac lover an advocate, is run on Microsoft web server. LOL. :eek:

MacFan25
Jan 29, 2003, 04:44 PM
I want an iPod update so bad. I have been waiting before MWSF, and I am still waiting. Hopefully an update will come this week!:D

sparks9
Jan 29, 2003, 04:57 PM
I have secret sources telling me that the iPods will be updated Feb. 11. The iMacs will be updated the same day.

The iPod lineup will be:
5 gig 249$ (will get the touchwheel+case+remote)
10 gig 299$ (no new features or accesories)
20 gig 399$
40 gig 499$

All available for win and mac.

The "new" iPods will not have firewire800, will not be able to play videos and will not have color screens.

MacFan25
Jan 29, 2003, 05:41 PM
I have secret sources telling me that the iPods will be updated Feb. 11. The iMacs will be updated the same day.

The iPod lineup will be:
20 gig 399$
40 gig 499$

The "new" iPods will not have firewire800, will not be able to play videos and will not have color screens.

Who exactly are these sources? Someone who works for Apple? But, anyway, if that were the iPod lineup, I would immediatley buy a 5 or 10 Gig.

job
Jan 29, 2003, 05:47 PM
Would they drop the 5GB price only to 249?

An extra $50 would get you 5 more GB, right?

Who in their right mind would buy a 5 GB?

Freg3000
Jan 29, 2003, 05:50 PM

The iPod lineup will be:
20 gig 399$
40 gig 499$

Everything seems ok, especially no Firewire 800 or video playback. But one thing does not. It's only $50 for the upgrade from the 5GB to the 10 GB? If the 5GB has the case, remote, and touchwheel, it is not as distinguished as it could be from the 10GB, for once again-only $50 more.

I say Apple should make the 5GB iPod a true low priced way into the iPod line. Make a barebones iPod for $199. They could even give a small discount if you buy an iPod when you buy a new Mac.

Two days ago, I would seriously doubt what I said could ever come true, but this is the new Apple, who just cut the price of the 23" HD Cinema Display from $3499 to $1999. WOW! :)

jamesd
Jan 29, 2003, 07:13 PM
was browsing the apple store for australia when i discovered this image at the top of the page.

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041...p_hpimageAU.gif

$845 is the price for the 10GB - the 5gb was always $645. now, if apple was only out of stock of the 5gb why bother changing the image on their store??

something is definately happening in my opinon, but im not too sure what

according to a number of sources apple are planning to release a new iPod with a color screen and movie playback.

my question is this - why bother updating the original iPods if they are only going to replace them later in the year?? :confused: i think they might just be dumping the 5gb. or, as they say, they might just be out of stock.:rolleyes:

MrMacMan
Jan 29, 2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by jamesd
was browsing the apple store for australia when i discovered this image at the top of the page.

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041...p_hpimageAU.gif

$845 is the price for the 10GB - the 5gb was always $645. now, if apple was only out of stock of the 5gb why bother changing the image on their store??

something is definately happening in my opinon, but im not too sure what

according to a number of sources apple are planning to release a new iPod with a color screen and movie playback.

my question is this - why bother updating the original iPods if they are only going to replace them later in the year?? :confused: i think they might just be dumping the 5gb. or, as they say, they might just be out of stock.:rolleyes:

*cough* bad link *cough*
:o Anyway the iPod might get a bump but there is no real need for Firewire 800, I mean what am i gonna be able to do?

I Riped 40 GB of Music onto my HD in 3 SECONDS INSEAD OF 6 ( :rolleyes: ) !!!

Nah just too bug of a cost right now.

jamesd
Jan 29, 2003, 07:36 PM
oops sorry bout that link

check out the actual apple store for australia by going 2

http://store.apple.com/133-622/WebObjects/australiastore

MacBandit
Jan 29, 2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman

*cough* bad link *cough*
:o Anyway the iPod might get a bump but there is no real need for Firewire 800, I mean what am i gonna be able to do?

I Riped 40 GB of Music onto my HD in 3 SECONDS INSEAD OF 6 ( :rolleyes: ) !!!

Nah just too bug of a cost right now.

Actually it would be no faster because the hard drive is incapable of coming even close to the capable speeds of Firewire 400. In fact the hard drive in the iPods probably transfer at a peak of 20MB/s. Firewire 400 is very capable of 40MB/s+ with a theoretical peak of 50MB/s.

Freg3000
Jan 29, 2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by jamesd
oops sorry bout that link

check out the actual apple store for australia by going 2

http://store.apple.com/133-622/WebObjects/australiastore

Very interesting....

The U.S. site still says from $299 ( the price of the 5GB iPod).

Something is up for sure.

mangoman
Jan 29, 2003, 09:52 PM
Wait a sec'. Please forgive my ignorant American azz, but what's this 600 some bucks crap? Are you saying that THIS is the price in American currency for an iPod when purchased from Apple Store Australia?

Go ahead. Laugh. I rate it, 'cause I'm COMPLETELY confused as to what you're talking about. Help a lost brothah out, eh, mate?

_mangoman in confusion

MacBandit
Jan 30, 2003, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by mangoman
Wait a sec'. Please forgive my ignorant American azz, but what's this 600 some bucks crap? Are you saying that THIS is the price in American currency for an iPod when purchased from Apple Store Australia?

Go ahead. Laugh. I rate it, 'cause I'm COMPLETELY confused as to what you're talking about. Help a lost brothah out, eh, mate?

_mangoman in confusion

Convert Australian dollars into US dollars. The original post about the Australian site said the price was shown as $845 fo the 10GB that's $497.54 US dollars. For some reason I highly doubt VAT accounts for a nearly $200 price difference.

BlackFireN2O
Feb 7, 2003, 10:38 AM
Any News Yet??

cliffm
Feb 7, 2003, 10:43 AM
My 20 gig just arrived yestarday, It was shipped straight from Taiwan.

I am now listening to it :D

No complaints here...

mangoman
Feb 7, 2003, 10:47 AM
INTERESTING.....

And we thought it was gonna come to you with a color screen, air horn, remote toilet flusher, etc.

Well....guess not.

MacKid
Feb 8, 2003, 09:36 PM
It was mentioned in another post that the company that makes those 5GB HD's (It's Fujitsu or Toshiba or something like that) has stopped making the 5GB's and so now I think Apple will just have to find another company, however, because of the latest stream of products, I think Apple will just release a 30 or 40GB. It pretty much makes sense.;)