Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lieb39

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Hello everyone,

I've got a strange problem with some of my converted video. I've used ffmpegx to convert my content, using the default settings for an iPod H.264 which include..

Video Codec: H264
Video Bitrate: 200kbit/s
Video Size: 320x240 (4:3 ratio)
Audio Codec: AAC
Audio Bitrate: 96kbit/s
Sampling: 48000Hz

However, when I play the video on my iPod, usually at the beginning of it (within the first 4 minutes) the video will freeze for 5 seconds, then skip ahead (to catch up on the time lost) without audio, where either it continues, sometimes comes back after 30 seconds - 1 minute OR i skip ahead / behind with the scroll wheel.. then the part will play fine but the entire freezing thing will happen again.

Is there something wrong with my settings? iTunes is reporting that my videos have a Total Bit Rate of 419 kbps.

Thank you,

lieb39

lordj4000

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2005
In unfathomable darkness
its a problem with the latest ipod firmware. Your best bet would be to use the 5-11-17 updater to restore your ipod. Or just live with it till apple fixes it, hopefully in the next updater.

AndrewPierce

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2006
this is probably a newb question but where can u find the older Ipod firmware, on apples website i only see the newest version which is what i believe is causing this feezing...

AndrewPierce

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2006
lieb39 said:
On the CDs that your iPod came with.

Cheers,

lieb39

Yea i found it but u have to restore the ipod(which in the process erases everything) to revert back to an older version. :mad:

anonymous User

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2006
Help!

ok i just got my ipod today and i have this problem also the thing is it came with the newest upadte and the softwear to resset my ipod won't even work what can i do

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.