PDA

View Full Version : Large temperature difference between Dual G5 Cores

50thVert
Feb 21, 2006, 06:14 PM
Hey every1,
Lately ive been noticing something weird on my Dual 2.5 Powermac. Under high loads, Temperature Monitor will report High 80-90*C on CPU 1, and no more than 75*C on CPU 2. Should i be worried?

-Zach

iGary
Feb 21, 2006, 06:15 PM
Hey every1,
Lately ive been noticing something weird on my Dual 2.5 Powermac. Under high loads, Temperature Monitor will report High 80-90*C on CPU 1, and no more than 75*C on CPU 2. Should i be worried?

-Zach

No, the "A" cpu gets used more heavily buy the system.

50thVert
Feb 21, 2006, 06:16 PM
No, the "A" cpu gets used more heavily buy the system.

I realize that the "A" CPU is more heavily used and that it is the first in the cooling loop so its temps will be higher, but lately its been a larger differential. Before when both CPUs are >98% load, ive seen a 7-9*C difference in temp, not a >25*C difference.

iGary
Feb 21, 2006, 06:19 PM
I realize that the "A" CPU is more heavily used and that it is the first in the cooling loop so its temps will be higher, but lately its been a larger differential. Before when both CPUs are >98% load, ive seen a 7-9*C difference in temp, not a >25*C difference.

I don't have a dual core chip (I have a dual 2.7), but I can have as much as 30 degrees F difference between the two. I wouldn't sweat it, and Apple will tell you the same thing. ;)

50thVert
Feb 21, 2006, 06:20 PM
I don't have a dual core chip (I have a dual 2.7), but I can have as much as 30 degrees F difference between the two. I wouldn't sweat it, and Apple will tell you the same thing. ;)

Meant to say i have a dual-chip 2.5. Thanks for the input iGary! :)

iGary
Feb 21, 2006, 06:22 PM
Meant to say i have a dual-chip 2.5. Thanks for the input iGary! :)

No worries, it freaked me out at first, too. ;)

hcuar
Feb 21, 2006, 08:16 PM
Here's my take on processor temps... stop checking them.

I had this nagging urge to check my temps when I built my own PCs. I wanted to make sure everything was performing properly. When I got my first two Macs, I did the same thing. Eventually I realized that these systems are custom built to run at the proper temperatures. You'll know if something goes wrong when it automagically puts itself to sleep.

For now... quit! You're just going to drive yourself batty.

50thVert
Feb 21, 2006, 08:25 PM
Here's my take on processor temps... stop checking them.

I had this nagging urge to check my temps when I built my own PCs. I wanted to make sure everything was performing properly. When I got my first two Macs, I did the same thing. Eventually I realized that these systems are custom built to run at the proper temperatures. You'll know if something goes wrong when it automagically puts itself to sleep.

For now... quit! You're just going to drive yourself batty.

Haha, guess i still have a few Overclocking habits stuck in my system!