PDA

View Full Version : More Supposed iPod video pics...

mrgreen4242
Feb 23, 2006, 10:10 AM
Can't verify this in any way, but it looks cool. :)

http://static.flickr.com/26/103357149_ebe5a6a8c7.jpg

G5Unit
Feb 23, 2006, 10:16 AM
Wow. Whoever did that is really good at Photoshop, unless it's real.

Orlando Furioso
Feb 23, 2006, 10:53 AM
I'm not so sure, but I think the colored bars are too bright. Definitely Photoshopped. And hasn't this picture been shown before? They are all starting to look really similar.

mrgreen4242
Feb 23, 2006, 10:59 AM
I'm not so sure, but I think the colored bars are too bright. Definitely Photoshopped. And hasn't this picture been shown before? They are all starting to look really similar.

I'm not sure if it's been posted before... apologies if it has. It was new to me! :)

I agree that the bars do look a bit bright, on the other hand cheap CCDs in cell phones and whatnot often get over exposed very easily when they are aimed at any light source (I had trouble getting a picture of a lit up pumkin if the agle I was shooting from exposed the candle through a hole at all, for example).

Still, looks like it'd be a cool piece of hardware... ~7" widescreen, no buttons so I assume touch screen, fairly thin looking...

FireArse
Feb 23, 2006, 10:59 AM
If we're to control this thing by touch-screen, aren't we gonna scratch the hell out of it?

Maybe that screen needs to be proper scratch resistant or something. Please bring back FW support!!

iTunes + Movies + new iPod + possible Intel iBooks and Mac Mini's.

Apple's share price is going to soar!

Just make sure the screens stay gorgeous after months of use Apple!

mrgreen4242
Feb 23, 2006, 11:09 AM
If we're to control this thing by touch-screen, aren't we gonna scratch the hell out of it?

Maybe that screen needs to be proper scratch resistant or something. Please bring back FW support!!

iTunes + Movies + new iPod + possible Intel iBooks and Mac Mini's.

Apple's share price is going to soar!

Just make sure the screens stay gorgeous after months of use Apple!

I've been trying to figure out why iPod screens get so mangled. I had a Dell Axim for about a year, never used a screen protector, and just used the cheap-o case it came with. Not a scratch on the thing, and I used the stylus and my finger about equally. Shouldn't be hard to make a touchscreen that doesn't get scratched up when used normally, everyone else seems to manage.

Jopling
Feb 23, 2006, 11:12 AM
Wow, I am definitely feeling this. Looks extremely familiar to the insider pics taken of the 5th Gen iPod. I am going to have faith in this and start scrounging together my money.

bluemonkey
Feb 23, 2006, 11:28 AM
The color bars look a little wonky to me. The purple one looks kinda realistic (notice the pattern) as well as some of the grayscale ones, but those color bars to the left are all too uniform in color to be taken from an ipod screen. However, the rest looks authentic. Maybe the color bars were added to protect the identity of the poster. Perhaps there was something on that screen that would have given him away.

MacSA
Feb 23, 2006, 11:37 AM
Its VERY good if its fake.......... Look at the bottom left of the screen, at the white bar - it looks like its reflecting on the white plastic.

And as a previous poster said, the picture itself looks identical to the leaked 5G video iPod image.

mrgreen4242
Feb 23, 2006, 11:37 AM
The color bars look a little wonky to me. The purple one looks kinda realistic (notice the pattern) as well as some of the grayscale ones, but those color bars to the left are all too uniform in color to be taken from an ipod screen. However, the rest looks authentic. Maybe the color bars were added to protect the identity of the poster. Perhaps there was something on that screen that would have given him away.

I thought that too, but just as something to think about: look at the sticker on the face closely... you can see a little bit of the aqua bar under the sticker. Good photoshoppery or real, only time will tell!

iGary
Feb 23, 2006, 11:40 AM
Can anyone translate the Chinese on the cardboard thingy covering the connector?

bluemonkey
Feb 23, 2006, 11:45 AM
I'm no expert, but I believe it says:
"Me Chinese, me play joke. Me put pee-pee in your coke!"

I have a feeling that this thing is legit.

Salasm
Feb 23, 2006, 11:47 AM
It's a fake.

Look at the top left hand corner of the screen and you'll notice sharp delineations in the digital trickery.

MacSA
Feb 23, 2006, 11:54 AM
Thinking about it....can anyone find the image that was leaked before the 5G iPod came out.. perhaps this is a altered version of that picture.

mrgreen4242
Feb 23, 2006, 11:59 AM
It's a fake.

Look at the top left hand corner of the screen and you'll notice sharp delineations in the digital trickery.

That does look suspicious... I'm suprised that if this is fake they did just a good job with the reflections and the paper being slightly transparent, yet botched that.

bluemonkey
Feb 23, 2006, 11:59 AM
Here's the 5G image.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Image:5G_ipod_leaked.jpg

rikers_mailbox
Feb 23, 2006, 12:00 PM
Thinking about it....can anyone find the image that was leaked before the 5G iPod came out.. perhaps this is a altered version of that picture.

This (http://flickr.com/photos/pedromoreno/sets/1125837) is all I could find. Looks nothing like the latest picture... FWIW

My opinion: Either REALLY good fake or it's the real deal. The bright white glare looks too real in the lower left and upper right of the screen. I'd like to know what that tag says (and the date-stamp that's clearly covered by the black scribbles in the lower right). Call me a sucker, I just talked myself into believing. :rolleyes:

edit: bluemonkey beat me to it. <shakes fist in air>

MacSA
Feb 23, 2006, 12:03 PM
Hmm your right, completely different. But it does have the barcode and the marker pen. Someone probably took inspiration from the 5G picture.

rikers_mailbox
Feb 23, 2006, 12:06 PM
Hmm your right, completely different. But it does have the barcode and the marker pen. Someone probably took inspiration from the 5G picture.

Took inspiration... or that's just the way factory inspections are done. :confused:

alienex
Feb 23, 2006, 12:08 PM
could it be?

Chaszmyr
Feb 23, 2006, 12:08 PM
I would bet someone enough money to buy one of these things that it's real. Just believe it.

balamw
Feb 23, 2006, 12:18 PM
I'm no forensic digital image expert, but that looks like it could be the result of unlucky JPEG compression, no? If you put a sharp contrast edge near one of the DCT block boundaries I think you will get this kind of effect.

B

mrgreen4242
Feb 23, 2006, 12:22 PM
I'm no forensic digital image expert, but that looks like it could be the result of unlucky JPEG compression, no? If you put a sharp contrast edge near one of the DCT block boundaries I think you will get this kind of effect.

B

Ya, that's sort of what I was thinking (this looks like a cell phone pic, so crappy sensor and generally use a pretty high level of crappy JPEG encoding), but I didn't know enough to say anything and figured someone more enlightened than I would mention it.

Not if only this was going to be $300 or less. :( I can't afford a new $500+ toy, unless it can replace my (Mac) mini...

balamw
Feb 23, 2006, 12:25 PM
LOL. If I am reading the part number on the sticky correctly M8719Z/A it appears to be that of OS X Server 10.2 M8719Z/A. Check Google.

So maybe it's the media server some have been hoping for. ;)

B

MacSA
Feb 23, 2006, 12:29 PM
LOL. If I am reading the part number on the sticky correctly M8719Z/A it appears to be that of OS X Server 10.2 M8719Z/A. Check Google.

B

I think it's MB719Z/A rather than M8

mrgreen4242
Feb 23, 2006, 12:29 PM

B

I think that's a B not an 8, personally, but otherwise you are correct. Could just be an old sticker lying around he scanned and used for the fake, but you'd think if they were gonna do all that they'd move some numbers around on it...

balamw
Feb 23, 2006, 12:34 PM
I think that's a B not an 8, personally, but otherwise you are correct. Could just be an old sticker lying around he scanned and used for the fake, but you'd think if they were gonna do all that they'd move some numbers around on it...
Yeah, I would expect that too, but the B doesn't fit the pattern of Apple part numbers (M+4 numbers) and the Z/A suffix seems to usually be used for software. It could be a reference to the firmware on the system, but I tend to doubt it.

B

_Matt
Feb 23, 2006, 12:35 PM

So maybe it's the media server some have been hoping for. ;)

B

it looks like it says MB719Z/A to me...but i could be wrong...the M at the beginning of the part number looks suspicious, almost as if it had been written in...

mrgreen4242
Feb 23, 2006, 12:37 PM
Yeah, I would expect that too, but the B doesn't fit the pattern of Apple part numbers (M+4 numbers) and the Z/A suffix seems to usually be used for software. It could be a reference to the firmware on the system, but I tend to doubt it.

B

Or it could be numberings that Apple uses internally for prototypes or mockups, etc. Or it could be a system the company who manufactures it uses... or it could be anything or nothing at all.

This is fun. :) Reminds me of the pre-nano speculation and guessing. :)

balamw
Feb 23, 2006, 12:40 PM
Or it could be numberings that Apple uses internally for prototypes or mockups, etc. Or it could be a system the company who manufactures it uses... or it could be anything or nothing at all.

This is fun. :) Reminds me of the pre-nano speculation and guessing. :)
Certainly possible, they could even have thrown the sticker on there to throw us off.

I still maintain that the limitations of the picture may have more to do with compression and the camera than photoshopping.

The story has been picked up on Page 2. Do I sense a thread merge?

B

berkleeboy210
Feb 23, 2006, 12:48 PM
I think it's MB719Z/A rather than M8

It's definetely a B --- Good thing I just got new glasses and could actually read that!

mrgreen4242
Feb 23, 2006, 12:52 PM
Well, it seems like we have at least established that this COULD be real. It's not conclusive at all, but it isn't a complete and obvious fake. So rather than go back and forth about if it is, let's entertain the notion that it IS real for a moment and speculate WHAT it is.

My guess: a next generation PDA. A PDA for younger, non business users. A FUN PDA.

A Video iPod with a touch screen interface and a full set of iLife type apps, plus iCal, AddressBook, Safari, Mail, and iChat.

I've suspected since the Intel announcement that they were eyeballing not only the Yonah and Memrom chips for laptops, but XScale chips for next gen iPods. I could probably find a post of mine from last summer to that effect.

The XScale is a pretty decent unit, both cost-wise, power usage, and in overall performance. Add in one of the ATI GPUs that some PDAs are sporting now and you would have a helluva little machine.

Anyone know if Darwin compiles on the XScale/StrongARM architecture? Would be cool it was "based on OS X" so apps were at least somewhat portable from Macs to the new Newton here.

If I'm right, I'll be sad, cuz I won't be able to afford one, or even justify one if I had the money. :(

EDIT: Who am I kidding... of course I'd find the money to buy this. ;-)

spacehog371
Feb 23, 2006, 12:53 PM
Yeah, I would expect that too, but the B doesn't fit the pattern of Apple part numbers (M+4 numbers) and the Z/A suffix seems to usually be used for software
B

my ipod is MA... so your wrong about the M+4 numbers.

edge540
Feb 23, 2006, 01:30 PM
Is there any speculation on the price or size of this device if it infact is not a fake?

2nyRiggz
Feb 23, 2006, 01:41 PM
If that or any other picture they have out gonna be the ipod video....it's ugly and will be full of blemish before you take it out of the box.

Don't steal Videos:)

Bless

balamw
Feb 23, 2006, 02:27 PM
my ipod is MA... so your wrong about the M+4 numbers.
I stand corrected, and it looks like they are using "A" as 10 in their model numbers as all the recent iPods are MAXXX. So it would make sense that MB would be next. The Z/A suffix still bugs me since that does seem to be more usually seen with software.

Complete list of iPod model numbers: http://ipodbatteryfaq.com/ipodbatteryandpower.html

Is there any speculation on the price or size of this device if it infact is not a fake?

Assuming it's not that different from a 5G (https://jefferies.bluematrix.com/docs/pdf/31086.pdf), about half the cost of the device is in the hard drive, so it all depends on the size of the drive, and the added cost from the larger (touch sensitive?) display, minus the cost of the clickwheel.

Basically don't expect if for less than $300.

B

austinbond
Feb 23, 2006, 03:04 PM
lol this is crazy...Does Apple have guards in the like of Taiwan and other third world countries....why doesn't this stuff leak faster

whooleytoo
Feb 23, 2006, 03:21 PM
lol this is crazy...Does Apple have guards in the like of Taiwan and other third world countries....why doesn't this stuff leak faster

Within Apple, it's a lot easier to keep something like this secret than new Macs - since Macs require extensive testing, plus international testing in Cork and Tokyo (I think), which means more people see them and they're more likely to be spotted in transit. Devices like the iPod on the other hand can be tested in one lab in Cupertino with very, very limited access, hence the secrecy is easier to maintain.

Once it goes to a 3rd party, Apple have far less control. In my experience, they try to maintain secrecy to keep Apple happy, but nowhere near the extent of Apple's neuroses. That's why I'm surprised Apple doesn't try to keep even more production in-house.

Diatribe
Feb 23, 2006, 03:24 PM
Once it goes to a 3rd party, Apple have far less control. In my experience, they try to maintain secrecy to keep Apple happy, but nowhere near the extent of Apple's neuroses. That's why I'm surprised Apple doesn't try to keep even more production in-house.

If it is just 5 days I guess the impact of the leak, that everyone is still debating over btw, is negilable.

whooleytoo
Feb 23, 2006, 03:29 PM
I wonder... could the "MB719" refer to the battery? :

(Master Instruments) (http://www.master-instruments.com.au/browse/Model/MB719.html)

(Not serious... just stirring the pot a little faster! ;) )

Diatribe
Feb 23, 2006, 03:30 PM
I wonder... could the "MB719" refer to the battery? :

(Master Instruments) (http://www.master-instruments.com.au/browse/Model/MB719.html)

(Not serious... just stirring the pot a little faster! ;) )

Considering it is Nickel Cadmium.... nope. :p

whooleytoo
Feb 23, 2006, 03:31 PM
If it is just 5 days I guess the impact of the leak, that everyone is still debating over btw, is negilable.

True, though tell that to ATI who were dropped at the 11th hour when they leaked the announcement of a PowerMac just the day before Steve's keynote.

whooleytoo
Feb 23, 2006, 03:32 PM
Considering it is Nickel Cadmium.... nope. :p

Damn.. I'm going to need a bigger spoon.. :p

Diatribe
Feb 23, 2006, 03:37 PM
True, though tell that to ATI who were dropped at the 11th hour when they leaked the announcement of a PowerMac just the day before Steve's keynote.

True. Easier to switch graphics cards than to ditch an entire product line... though I shouldn't talk to loud *cough* Asteroid *cough* :D

ITASOR
Feb 23, 2006, 03:38 PM
How come the "prototype" iPods always have funny characters, symbols, and random stickers all over them?

The one of the video iPod and this one look like they're laying on top of similar material.

I only hope that if this is real, it comes with some type of mobile OS X and can do other things besides the traditional ipods can do! :D

Electro Funk
Feb 23, 2006, 03:46 PM
Its VERY good if its fake.......... Look at the bottom left of the screen, at the white bar - it looks like its reflecting on the white plastic.

And as a previous poster said, the picture itself looks identical to the leaked 5G video iPod image.

i was just going to say that! the white bar is def reflecting on the plastic... this thing could be real! :eek:

whooleytoo
Feb 23, 2006, 03:48 PM
How come the "prototype" iPods always have funny characters, symbols, and random stickers all over them?

You'd be surprised just how rough and "pieced together" prototype machines can look. I can remember the "TiBook" prototypes being loose motherboards in a big acrylic-glass box the size of a big phone book; and then being amazed watching the keynote to see the slimness of the finished product. The less pretty and eye-catching they look in the labs, the better. Plus the tags are obviously necessary given the lack of any other identifying features to differentiate between prototype devices.

whooleytoo
Feb 23, 2006, 03:49 PM
True. Easier to switch graphics cards than to ditch an entire product line... though I shouldn't talk to loud *cough* Asteroid *cough* :D

Now look what you've done! by mentioning "The A******* Word We Dare Not Mention", it's going to be postponed again! Kill the thread, cancel the event.. Diatribe has spoilt the party... :D

arcsbite
Feb 23, 2006, 04:36 PM
The chinese (on it's side) says

"this side"

iQuit
Feb 23, 2006, 05:26 PM
Nice "Home made" iPod. Look VERYYYYYY closely at EVERYTHING. It IS a fake iPod, even if they release one that looks exactly like that one, this one is fake.

briangig
Feb 23, 2006, 06:04 PM
Looks like MB719Z/A to me too. If anyone has a barcode of M8719Z/A, we can compare the two.

briangig
Feb 23, 2006, 06:16 PM
I'm not photo expert, or anything, but when I adjusted the levels, look what happend.

http://static.flickr.com/42/103591262_20a8ad1b32_o.jpg

the lines arent square, and it just looks fake...

but on second thought, jpeg compression can really screw up an image..basically...I dont know anymore.

briangig
Feb 23, 2006, 06:40 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/23/is-this-the-video-ipod-or-mac-tablet/2#comments

great info there, read some of the comments. The label says "this side". If you got to babelfish, and translate "this side up" from eng to chinese, it comes out with whats on the label, which then translates to "this side", so it was written by someone who maybe doesnt know chinese.

G5Unit
Feb 23, 2006, 07:49 PM
HELLO! Hasn't anyone thought that maybe the scroll wheel is on the BACK?

thegreatluke
Feb 23, 2006, 08:11 PM
Yes, but Apple wouldn't really do that.

A virtual touch-click wheel is much more elegant.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but yeah. :)

Chundles
Feb 23, 2006, 08:17 PM

Yeah, and then I thought "Wow, how stupid would that be."

pdpfilms
Feb 23, 2006, 11:16 PM
Yeah, and then I thought "Wow, how stupid would that be."
Yeah.. imagine trying to use the clickwheel on the back of the ipod while you're holding it... If you think it sounds easy and comfortable, turn your ipod away from you and give it a shot.

Not so hot.

rpchan
Feb 24, 2006, 08:39 AM
It's a fake.

anyone good enough to glow a cyan bar through paper is not going to leave a pointy edge.

the unit has a transparent outerskin and the fading is evident of that. just like the glow coming from around the white bar... and the bottom left black has a very sharp crisp black egde too underneath the transpartent skin... the glow effect are very good and realistic...

so if it is fake it is someone who has loads of time on there hand to manufacture a clear shell for whatever screen they had from elsewhere to make it look apple-like

balamw
Feb 24, 2006, 09:03 AM
A virtual touch-click wheel is much more elegant.
If this (or something like it) is real, I'd like to see a hardware "remote" scroll wheel that could plug into the dock connector, as well as the touch sensitive controls.

The other thing I've been wondering is: Could it be that the screen isn't actually touch sensitive, but uses the tiny screen embedded "cameras" that were in the patent mentioned a while ago? This might help explain how they could make a "touch sensitive" device and still put a thick layer of plastic on the screen...

B

john159
Feb 24, 2006, 02:28 PM
http://www.macshrine.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/02/ipodvideo.jpg

Another surfaced image.. looks like taken from the floors of a apple retail store actually

I would have to say it is a iTablet because look at how big it is on the floor... it must be at least 8 + inches in length

Pic from Mac Shrine - http://www.macshrine.com/2006/02/24/another-image-of-ipod-video/

.... or an elaborate fake

digitdean
Feb 24, 2006, 05:04 PM
I think my peepee just exploded.

timerollson
Feb 24, 2006, 05:23 PM
http://www.macshrine.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/02/ipodvideo.jpg

Another surfaced image.. looks like taken from the floors of a apple retail store actually

I would have to say it is a iTablet because look at how big it is on the floor... it must be at least 8 + inches in length

Pic from Mac Shrine - http://www.macshrine.com/2006/02/24/another-image-of-ipod-video/

.... or an elaborate fake

Fake

http://www.blogeek.ch/images/news/ipodvideo.gif

john159
Feb 24, 2006, 06:45 PM
I think my peepee just exploded.

okkkkkkk... good to kno :rolleyes:

digitdean
Feb 24, 2006, 06:52 PM
Fake
You utter, utter killjoy.

dornoforpyros