PDA

View Full Version : My tibook 400mhz,can it run tiger?

thahater
Feb 24, 2006, 06:06 AM
morning all,
i upgraded the ram from 128 mb to 640mb,i'm currently running 10.2.8,i'm getting a 60 gighdd today.question is can it run tiger and will it run well,or should i go to 10.3.thanks

California
Feb 24, 2006, 06:14 AM
morning all,
i upgraded the ram from 128 mb to 640mb,i'm currently running 10.2.8,i'm getting a 60 gighdd today.question is can it run tiger and will it run well,or should i go to 10.3.thanks

I owned this computer for a number of years until last year.

First, I'd up it to 768mbs; as the price for a 256mb chip for that computer is much much lower than a 512mb chip and there will be real speed gain over 640mb -- and you need all the memory you can get to run Tiger. If you can afford another 512mb chip, max out the memory to 1gb.

Second, yes I am sure it will run Tiger well, just use Delocalizer to make sure you are not over loading the hd with Tiger extras.

Third make sure you get a fast 5400rpm or 7200rpm hard drive.

Finally for like 200 bucks, you can put the machine back under warranty and up the CPU to 550mhz from Daystar. That is what i did with my 400mhz Tibook that was in pristine condition. A friend now uses it with 1gb of ram and a 5400rpm hd and Tiger.

mad jew
Feb 24, 2006, 06:18 AM
Well, unless you need Tiger, I recommend sticking with panther simply because of Tiger's RAM habits. Plus, a used copy of Panther will be much cheaper than Tiger. :)

thahater
Feb 24, 2006, 06:20 AM
cool thanks,i need the tibook to last me for anoter year,till im able to afford a macbook pro.i was looking into daystar how fast can they get my book back to me(dont know if u know that answer,but just from your dealing with them how long did it take to get yours back).and the warrenty how long was yours for and what do they cover thanks for any answers u can give me.

SmurfBoxMasta
Feb 24, 2006, 06:29 AM
cool thanks,i need the tibook to last me for anoter year,till im able to afford a macbook pro.i was looking into daystar how fast can they get my book back to me(dont know if u know that answer,but just from your dealing with them how long did it take to get yours back).and the warrenty how long was yours for and what do they cover thanks for any answers u can give me.

whew......thahater

FYI, this is NOT AIM :)
Slow down, use some basic grammer rules and punctuation, and think about what you are saying.

It will make your posts much more understandable, which will probably get more & better replies in the future :)

thahater
Feb 24, 2006, 06:38 AM
sorry for a few misspelled words,didnt know i was being judge for my grammer on a forum of all places.but thanks:D .and yes i use aim.

California
Feb 24, 2006, 06:42 AM

I think the warranty varies up to three years. Look it up on their site. They are usually pretty fast with turn around, under a week and will expedite shipping (I paid 60 bucks to have a computer overnighted from them once). But keep your costs down and you'll only miss it for one week. Tell em it is only worth it to pay 200 bucks by the way, which is true, and they will listen. The 400 to 550 upgrade is the best deal on that CPU; tho I had it done to one 500mhz Tibook, tho, for the security of the warranty. Call Gary, he's the owner and a very very smart and personable guy. He really helped a friend of mine on her last Tibook upgrade -- returned the computer in pristine condition and talked her through some logging in problems personally. No I don't work for them but I am in awe of their service, tho my take is if they lowered some of their CPU upgrade costs, they would make a LOT more money.

ReanimationLP
Feb 24, 2006, 06:49 AM
lol. Put as much RAM as possible, and please use proper english. T_T

thahater
Feb 24, 2006, 07:23 AM
California thanks for the help it's appreciated.as for spelling get a grip it's not the end of the world,move on.

hikeNM
Feb 24, 2006, 08:42 AM
whew......thahater

FYI, this is NOT AIM :)
Slow down, use some basic grammer rules and punctuation, and think about what you are saying.

It will make your posts much more understandable, which will probably get more & better replies in the future :)

Uh...we're not writing dissertations here.

Are you saying you couldn't get the meaning of what he was saying because of his grammar? You're not one of those linguistic snobs who follows grammatical "rules" just for the sake of following some "rule" are you?

What difference does it make, if you get the point of his post?

macrants
Feb 24, 2006, 09:00 AM
To drag this further off topic for a second, I'd like to also say that I clicked on the thread, and skipped the jumbled blobs of words that didn't make sense. It wasn't so bad in his first post in the thread, but the second. If it becomes a language that I have to interpret, I'm out.
If it's readable, or even clever or funny, I'm way more inclined to lend my experience, as are others. It's less about grammar than being courteous to those that get headaches looking at paragraphs of a non-punctuated, uncapitalized word jumble.

Back on topic:

And my 400 MHz G4 tower and 667MHz TiBook both ran Tiger like champs. I would shy away from iDVD and Garageband, of course.

cube
Feb 24, 2006, 09:24 AM
How much RAM will be beneficial depends on how you use your computer.

I have 576 MiB and there's always some free memory.

ITASOR
Feb 24, 2006, 09:26 AM
It will run it great. I ran Tiger on a 300Mhz G3 and it worked good enough. O_O

thahater
Feb 24, 2006, 11:15 AM
thank you ITASOR.

dmw007
Feb 24, 2006, 11:36 AM
Tiger should run okay on your PowerBook G4. As others have said, more RAM would be recommended. I noticed a decent improvement in performance when I upgraded the RAM in my Power Mac G5 from 1GB -> 2GB and the RAM in my iBook G4 from 512MB ->1GB.

Apple Corps
Feb 24, 2006, 12:44 PM
I'd say "get on with it" - Tiger runs very well on my Ti 400 PB and also runs nicely on our 366 Clamshell with 576 SDRAM on board.

danny_w
Feb 24, 2006, 12:50 PM
I'm sure Tiger would run on the TiBook, but that doesn't mean that I would recommend it. I installed Tiger on my 1.42GHz mini with 512MB and it is much slower overall than Panther 10.3.9 was on the same machine, and I will probably be reverting in the near future. So again like a poster above said, unless you have a specific reason to want Tiger, I would stay away.

Jschultz
Feb 24, 2006, 01:00 PM
I'm sure Tiger would run on the TiBook, but that doesn't mean that I would recommend it. I installed Tiger on my 1.42GHz mini with 512MB and it is much slower overall than Panther 10.3.9 was on the same machine, and I will probably be reverting in the near future. So again like a poster above said, unless you have a specific reason to want Tiger, I would stay away.

We've got the same machines at school and they're quick!?:confused: :confused:

Something may be wrong there..

Anyways, as you can tell from my sig, I have a TiBook 400, and am running Puma..I was running Tiger before. I ordered a student copy of Tiger recently. It will run fine. Depends on what you're doing. When I was on Tiger, I just used iTunes, Office, and Safari. Worked like a charm for those basic tasks. I love my TiBook, and you'll love yours with Tiger as well! I have 640mb of ram, but as soon as I get my tax return, I'm replacing the 128 with a 512 for a total of 1 gb.

Go for it!

jer2eydevil88
Feb 24, 2006, 01:08 PM
If you wanna throw money at it buy more RAM and a copy of Tiger then send it to Daystar for the upgrade. Frankly though if you spend all that money on it you might be happier just buying an iBook as it'll eat that TI-book alive.

For the more cost conscious consumer OS 10.3 will do fine on that old of a Machine. :D

danny_w
Feb 24, 2006, 01:12 PM
We've got the same machines at school and they're quick!?:confused: :confused:

Something may be wrong there..

Anyways, as you can tell from my sig, I have a TiBook 400, and am running Puma..I was running Tiger before. I ordered a student copy of Tiger recently. It will run fine. Depends on what you're doing. When I was on Tiger, I just used iTunes, Office, and Safari. Worked like a charm for those basic tasks. I love my TiBook, and you'll love yours with Tiger as well! I have 640mb of ram, but as soon as I get my tax return, I'm replacing the 128 with a 512 for a total of 1 gb.

Go for it!
I didn't say that mine wasn't quick, just that it is not as quick as it was with Panther. I like some of the extras in Tiger, such as the Dashboard, but I don't know that it is worth the performance penalty to me.

Eidorian
Feb 24, 2006, 01:19 PM
I didn't say that mine wasn't quick, just that it is not as quick as it was with Panther. I like some of the extras in Tiger, such as the Dashboard, but I don't know that it is worth the performance penalty to me.You don't have Quartz Extreme support on the TiBooks until the Gigabit Ethernet models. Exposť and Dashboard aren't going to be that fast or pretty.

Jschultz
Feb 24, 2006, 03:40 PM
You don't have Quartz Extreme support on the TiBooks until the Gigabit Ethernet models. Exposť and Dashboard aren't going to be that fast or pretty.

True, it's not. But it still gets the job done. Just like using Dashboard on the TiBook too. The fade to black is choppy and unnatural at times, but hey, it works.

It's a 5 year old notebook, what do you want from it? ;)

Eidorian
Feb 24, 2006, 04:35 PM
True, it's not. But it still gets the job done. Just like using Dashboard on the TiBook too. The fade to black is choppy and unnatural at times, but hey, it works.

It's a 5 year old notebook, what do you want from it? ;)I have Tiger on a G3 450 Power Mac and it runs just fine. :p