PDA

View Full Version : need help with 1.67 powerbook!

twoodcc
Feb 24, 2006, 10:29 AM
i have the latest 15" ppc powerbook, and i added 2 gb of ram myself. i started off by adding just 1 gb, so i have 1.5 gb of ram myself. then, a few months later, i replaced the 512 with a 1 gb stick. now, about a month or so later, i'm having problems with my powerbook. i don't know if it's related to the ram or not. when i try to open word, i get this error:

application launch failure. the application "word" could not be launched because of a shared library error:"1<Microsoft Word><CarbonLib><CFMPriv_CarbonCore><>"

that's not the only problem. Quicken does the same thing.

also, last night i sent some files over my network. i left it transferring overnight and this morning it was frozen. but it looked like it was in sleep mode, and i couldn't wake it up. so i had to hold down the power button, and then turn it back on.

please help me

twoodcc
Feb 24, 2006, 10:43 AM
there definately seems like there is something wrong with my system.

i downloaded another program and it wouldn't open with a similar error

jer2eydevil88
Feb 24, 2006, 10:44 AM
I have the same PB,

Sounds like it could be a RAM issue and you can figure out if that is the culprit by removing the last stick you installed. If that fixes it then you found the problem.

From the sound of that file transfer though and by the error message of a library error it makes the problem sound hard drive or operating system related. To see if its a permission error on the operating system you can simply run Disk Utility and let it repair permissions. Then let it verify volume and see if it finds anything wrong.

If neither suggestion yields results you should bring it to an Apple store and let them run diagnostics on the notebook to find the problem for you.

FireArse
Feb 24, 2006, 10:59 AM
Can i suggest you take out both 1GB sticks and put back in the 515MB stick supplied by Apple? Leave the x2 1GB's out, and run.

I think thats the first thing an Apple tech would do. Then work your way up from there.

F

twoodcc
Feb 24, 2006, 11:13 AM
Can i suggest you take out both 1GB sticks and put back in the 515MB stick supplied by Apple? Leave the x2 1GB's out, and run.

I think thats the first thing an Apple tech would do. Then work your way up from there.

F

thanks for the reply. do you think i would be able to run word if i did that?

twoodcc
Feb 24, 2006, 11:14 AM
I have the same PB,

Sounds like it could be a RAM issue and you can figure out if that is the culprit by removing the last stick you installed. If that fixes it then you found the problem.

From the sound of that file transfer though and by the error message of a library error it makes the problem sound hard drive or operating system related. To see if its a permission error on the operating system you can simply run Disk Utility and let it repair permissions. Then let it verify volume and see if it finds anything wrong.

If neither suggestion yields results you should bring it to an Apple store and let them run diagnostics on the notebook to find the problem for you.

thanks for the reply. i've repaired permissions several times. it doesn't fix the program issue. and it's weird how it's only on certain programs. namely word and Quicken. i guess i need to "verify volume"

GoCubsGo
Feb 24, 2006, 11:19 AM
thanks for the reply. i've repaired permissions several times. it doesn't fix the program issue. and it's weird how it's only on certain programs. namely word and Quicken. i guess i need to "verify volume"
Did you bother taking out that ram like they suggested?
If you do that and still have no joy then take it to Apple. There is a problem for sure.

twoodcc
Feb 24, 2006, 11:35 AM
Did you bother taking out that ram like they suggested?
If you do that and still have no joy then take it to Apple. There is a problem for sure.

not yet. i kinda wanted that to be a last resort. i'm going to try the other suggestions first.

twoodcc
Feb 24, 2006, 12:54 PM
well i did a verify disk, and it said Volum Header needs minor repair. the volume powerbook (the name of my harddrive) needs to be repaired.

then is said this:

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit.

1 HFS volume checked
Volume needs repair

so what does this mean? disk utility couldn't fix it

ElectricSheep
Feb 24, 2006, 01:18 PM
Its means you have some filesystem corruption. Disk Utility (and fsck for that matter) cannot repair the filesystem of the current startup disk when MacOS X is fully booted. You will need to either startup from the restore CDs that came with your PowerBook and run Disk Utility from there, or you will have to boot into Single User Mode and run fsck while the root filesystem is unmounted. I would strongly suggest the first option.

This does not preclude the possibility that you have bad RAM. Bad RAM can cause all kinds of problems, including filesystem corruption. Values becomes corrupted in memory, they get written back to disk, you now have corrupt data on your disk. Run the Hardware Test CD that came with your PowerBook, pull the suspect memory modules, and see how things go from there for a little while.

twoodcc
Feb 24, 2006, 03:28 PM
Its means you have some filesystem corruption. Disk Utility (and fsck for that matter) cannot repair the filesystem of the current startup disk when MacOS X is fully booted. You will need to either startup from the restore CDs that came with your PowerBook and run Disk Utility from there, or you will have to boot into Single User Mode and run fsck while the root filesystem is unmounted. I would strongly suggest the first option.

This does not preclude the possibility that you have bad RAM. Bad RAM can cause all kinds of problems, including filesystem corruption. Values becomes corrupted in memory, they get written back to disk, you now have corrupt data on your disk. Run the Hardware Test CD that came with your PowerBook, pull the suspect memory modules, and see how things go from there for a little while.

thanks for the reply. i'm running the Hardware Test CD right now. i guess it'll take awhile to test the 2 gb of ram. so far, the mass storage has passed, so i guess it can't be the hard-drive, right?

FireArse
Feb 24, 2006, 04:02 PM
thanks for the reply. i'm running the Hardware Test CD right now. i guess it'll take awhile to test the 2 gb of ram. so far, the mass storage has passed, so i guess it can't be the hard-drive, right?

Backup all essential documents.
Just in case.

Re-install OS X OR install OS X on an external FW drive to see if you gt the errors - assuming you still have the 2GB of ram. I still think you should test without....

F

twoodcc
Feb 24, 2006, 04:08 PM
Backup all essential documents.
Just in case.

Re-install OS X OR install OS X on an external FW drive to see if you gt the errors - assuming you still have the 2GB of ram. I still think you should test without....

F

you think i should test with the standard 512 ram? why? if i test with the 2 gb, it'll tell me if that's the problem, right?

twoodcc
Feb 24, 2006, 04:11 PM
well the test is done, it took over an hour. everything passed though, so it must be a software issue, correct?

twoodcc
Feb 24, 2006, 06:04 PM
well i repaired disk, with the install cd, and it says that it fixed the problem. but i still have the same error message with word.

Patmian212
Feb 24, 2006, 06:24 PM
well i repaired disk, with the install cd, and it says that it fixed the problem. but i still have the same error message with word.
About the overnight transfer it just sounds like your powerbook ran out of battery and so it went to sleep and it was at 0% so it couldnt be woken up.

twoodcc
Feb 24, 2006, 06:40 PM
About the overnight transfer it just sounds like your powerbook ran out of battery and so it went to sleep and it was at 0% so it couldnt be woken up.

it wasn't on battery. it was plugged in. and also, this isn't the first time that it happened

mad jew
Feb 24, 2006, 06:48 PM
So, have you taken the RAM out yet? I reckon that should be your next step.

Also, was the OSX disk you used the same version of OSX as that on the PowerBook? In other words, was it a Tiger disk on a Tiger OS?

FireArse
Feb 25, 2006, 08:40 AM
application launch failure. the application "word" could not be launched because of a shared library error:"1<Microsoft Word><CarbonLib><CFMPriv_CarbonCore><>"

that's not the only problem. Quicken does the same thing.

please help me

hmmm, if the hardware test passed with the x2 1GB sticks of RAM - then you should be ok hardware wise. That shared library error is really odd. You mention it happens with Word and Quicken. Does it happen with any Apple software? eg iChat, iTunes or Safari?

This could be related to a bad install of non-Apple software. If you've backed up your docs, [in your position, I would] re-install OS X. Won't take an hour. Run the cumulative update to 10.4.5. Then start installing extra's like Office or Quicken. I take it all the extra non-Apple software is fully legal and not off BitTorrent.....

twoodcc
Feb 26, 2006, 09:16 PM
So, have you taken the RAM out yet? I reckon that should be your next step.

Also, was the OSX disk you used the same version of OSX as that on the PowerBook? In other words, was it a Tiger disk on a Tiger OS?

i haven't taken the ram out yet. i don't think that's the problem, but it could be. i really think it's a software issue.

yes, it was a Tiger disk on a Tiger OS

twoodcc
Feb 26, 2006, 09:18 PM
hmmm, if the hardware test passed with the x2 1GB sticks of RAM - then you should be ok hardware wise. That shared library error is really odd. You mention it happens with Word and Quicken. Does it happen with any Apple software? eg iChat, iTunes or Safari?

This could be related to a bad install of non-Apple software. If you've backed up your docs, [in your position, I would] re-install OS X. Won't take an hour. Run the cumulative update to 10.4.5. Then start installing extra's like Office or Quicken. I take it all the extra non-Apple software is fully legal and not off BitTorrent.....

so far, those are the only 2 programs that do it. and i've had the occasional freeze. i even tried uninstalling word and then when i tried to reinstall it, i got that error again. (all i have to do to uninstall a program is delete it, right?)

twoodcc
Feb 27, 2006, 10:44 AM
well i got Word totally off my computer (i think) and then i tried to reinstall again, and i still got the same error. what to do?

jblock
Feb 27, 2006, 01:05 PM
You seem to have an aversion to taking the RAM out and replacing it with the original RAM as some earlier responses suggested. It can't hurt to try that to once and for all determine that the RAM is not the culprit.

twoodcc
Feb 27, 2006, 01:15 PM
You seem to have an aversion to taking the RAM out and replacing it with the original RAM as some earlier responses suggested. It can't hurt to try that to once and for all determine that the RAM is not the culprit.

i guess i could, but it passed the hardware test. doesn't that mean that it can't be the problem?

mad jew
Feb 27, 2006, 06:32 PM
Hardware tests are notoriously bad at picking out problems. :o

twoodcc
Feb 27, 2006, 09:47 PM
Hardware tests are notoriously bad at picking out problems. :o

so you think that it could still be bad ram? but why would that just affect 2 programs mainly? yes, it did freeze up a few times, but it hasn't since, and it's been at least 3-4 days. right now i have a 3-day uptime since i've ran the hardware test.

do you think i should reinstall OS X?

frankblundt
Feb 27, 2006, 09:51 PM
PLease. Try it. It'll take less time and effort than an OS reinstall.

mad jew
Feb 27, 2006, 09:54 PM
Yeah, I agree that the fact it's only two apps seems to point away from it being bad RAM but I'd take it out all the same. Bad RAM acts in very strange ways.

However, before reinstalling OSX, I'd remove DivX and 3ivX where applicable. These two apps are known to conflict with Office in strange ways when Flip4Mac is installed on the system too. If this doesn't apply, then ignore me and just take the RAM out. :)

There are a few more things we could potentially try before we resort to a reinstall.

frankblundt
Feb 27, 2006, 09:59 PM
Just double-check. Aside from the possible RAM issue - have you tried all of the Mad Jew Standard Responses™ to general unexplained weirdness:
Is there at least 8GB of free space on the hard drive?
Maybe give zapping the PRAM (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238) a try. :)
Have you tried dragging com.apple.appname.plist (in Users > youraccount > Library > Preferences) to the Desktop whilst the app is closed, and restarting? :)
have you created a new user account (in the System Preferences > Accounts) to see if the problems carry through? :)
You can't repair the disk you start up from so you can either use Disk Utility on the OSX system disks by putting them in the optical drive and pressing C as you boot up, selecting Disk Utility from one of the menus and repairing the disk.
Or even better, you can run fsck (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214). :)
*I've beeen waiting for ages for a chance to use this... :) *

kretzy
Feb 27, 2006, 10:06 PM
Just double-check. Aside from the possible RAM issue - have you tried all of the Mad Jew Standard Responses™ to general unexplained weirdness:

*I've beeen waiting for ages for a chance to use this... :) *

He should have them copyrighted.:D

mad jew
Feb 27, 2006, 10:12 PM
Actually, I'm working on a mad widget. It'll post mainly useless requests such as repair permissions and punch hole through screen. :cool:

twoodcc
Feb 27, 2006, 11:22 PM
well i have tried some of the "mad jew things to dew" list. anyways, i found on the microsoft website that you have to reinstall the OS to fix the problem, according to them. i need to do it anyways, just to say i've done it on a mac. (grew up on pcs, so i've never done it on a mac before). so i'll post back after it's done and see if the problem is still there

thanks for all the help

GoCubsGo
Feb 27, 2006, 11:25 PM
you think i should test with the standard 512 ram? why? if i test with the 2 gb, it'll tell me if that's the problem, right?
what in the world is the problem with taking out that dang stick of ram? I mean, taking it out 10 times would take less time than it would for you to test 2 gigs of ram.

twoodcc
Feb 27, 2006, 11:28 PM
what in the world is the problem with taking out that dang stick of ram? I mean, taking it out 10 times would take less time than it would for you to test 2 gigs of ram.

last time i checked, it's got some pretty small screws, and only a certain screwdriver will fit. the last time i put in the current ram it took forever to get the screws out

twoodcc
Feb 27, 2006, 11:29 PM
well, i'm reinstalled now. so my question is: should i try to reinstall office now, or should i update to 10.4.5 first? right now i have 10.4.2.

mad jew
Feb 28, 2006, 12:50 AM
Install Office first, test, then install 10.4.5 and test again. :)

twoodcc
Feb 28, 2006, 10:04 AM
Install Office first, test, then install 10.4.5 and test again. :)

ok i'll do that. but in the meantime, since i've reinstalled, my system has been super slow. i've repaired permissions. the weird thing is, after i reinstalled (i did an archive and install), it seemed i have all the programs that i had before.

is there anything else i'm supposed to do after i reinstall?

mad jew
Feb 28, 2006, 04:59 PM
Yeah, maybe try a proper clean install. Put the disks in and reformat the drive. Of course, you'll need everything backed up perfectly. :)

twoodcc
Feb 28, 2006, 10:50 PM
well it appears to be fixed now. i upgraded to 10.4.5 and repaired permissions, then i restarted. then i was able to install office 2004. so it turned out that it wasn't my ram after all. i didn't think it was.

thanks for all the help from everyone. i'm just glad it's fixed. i still have to install quicken again though. hopefully that'll work also.

i just hope my powerbook lasts a long long time

twoodcc
Mar 1, 2006, 08:46 AM
well my pb is still not perfect. i left it on all night last night, and this morning it was un-useable. i checked activity monitor, and the CPU was like 100%, and it was doing nothing. any ideas?

mad jew
Mar 1, 2006, 03:28 PM
Which process was using the CPU the most? Was there a single app using almost 100%? :)

frankblundt
Mar 1, 2006, 09:00 PM
Maybe it's the RAM. :p

Have you got 8GB free? If you've done multiple archive and installs you may be running out of space.

twoodcc
Mar 2, 2006, 10:22 AM
Which process was using the CPU the most? Was there a single app using almost 100%? :)

there was not one app using 100% (that i could find)

but whatever it was, it's not doing it anymore. i left it on all night last night playing itunes, and it's fine now

twoodcc
Mar 2, 2006, 10:23 AM
Maybe it's the RAM. :p

Have you got 8GB free? If you've done multiple archive and installs you may be running out of space.

i have 25 GB free. i've only done one archive and install

jer2eydevil88
Mar 2, 2006, 11:11 AM
I know you seem aprehensive to take our advice but if you want to be sure, I mean absolutely sure that the system is clean do the following.

BACKUP Everything you need to an external source (DVD's, Firewire/USB Drive, etc..) and make sure it's there before continuing.

>> Turn off the Powerbook and using a correctly sized Screwdriver remove the ram you added and return the original 512mb stick. Do not leave either 1gb stick inside the notebook for that will negate every other step after this. Turn back on the machine and proceed to the next step.

>> Insert the Tiger DVD and start the installer, type your password and make sure its set to boot off this disc. Proceed to reboot the PB and continue on to the next step.

>> Run Disc Utility on the Install DVD and Erase your drive, no if's ands or buts about it this will clean up all the junk on your HDD.

>> Close Disc Utility and start the OS X installation, make sure that you check up on the machine and that the Installer finishes error free (if not check the Disc for scratches or other physical damage). Once Tiger is back on the notebook let it reboot and finalize the installation by filling out all the forms.

>> Install Office and any other software you rely on but do not restore your files yet. Wait a day and see if it craps out during its day to day work.