Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

juble

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2005
Hi there,

I'm wanting to import some images into FCP HD and make a little slideshow, maybe with some DV footage and/or titles for a 21st. What resolution do I need to scan the images at to import them and is there any advantage at scanning them at a much higher resolution?

...also on another track entirely, am I a bit stupid to be buying a last gen PB over a new MacBook Pro? I wont be able to afford the intel native version of FCP, unless I could modify the PPC one to work under Rosetta - but then that is getting a bit dodgy... Has anyone tried this and/or what is performance like?

Cheers,
Josh

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Ok, for your first question:
You don't need to import the images at a resolution higher than DV-640x480 (if that's what you're outputting to), unless you're planning on doing some zooming in. Then, I'd up it a bit. If the image files are huge and high-res, you'll just slowdown your workflow unnecessarily.

For your second question; no, you made the right choice. If you haven't noticed, threads are beginning to pop up detailing the problems people are having with their recently received MBP's. Now this is not to say everyone is having issues, as I'm sure most people are not. However, this also reveals the risks of buying a 1st revision product. The new hardware and software being implimented in the MBP's is bound to have bugs that slipped through the Dev's checks unnoticed, that will only surface after widespread consumer use. You can rest assured- your new Powerbook is a fast, reliable, and fully supported machine. It will continue to be for a long time. And worry not- all universal applications that are released in the future will work on your machine as well. They're universal! Enjoy your Powerbook.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
pdpfilms pretty much hit the nail on the head. DV res is 720*480 though, and, as I understand it, you won't have to buy a brand new version of FCP you'll just need to buy a $50.00 disc that has the Universal Binary version of FCP on it.

I wouldn't pay full price for a G4 laptop right now though. If it was me I'd only buy a refurbished one.

Lethal

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
juble said:
I wont be able to afford the intel native version of FCP, unless I could modify the PPC one to work under Rosetta - but then that is getting a bit dodgy... Has anyone tried this and/or what is performance like?

Assuming you have the full-version FCP4, 4.5 or 5 disk, you could upgrade to the full Universal Final Cut Studio package - http://www.apple.com/universal/crossgrade/ for between $99-199.

I don't think Apple are offering a Universal version of FCP on it's own - they want everyone to upgrade to the Studio suite from now on.

3dit3r

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2005
juble said:
Hi there,

I'm wanting to import some images into FCP HD and make a little slideshow, maybe with some DV footage and/or titles for a 21st. What resolution do I need to scan the images at to import them and is there any advantage at scanning them at a much higher resolution?

**First, the other reply is wrong information, possibly a typo. DV is 720x480, not 640x480. Scan your images starting at 300dpi. It really depends on the photo. If you want a wide shot, even 200dpi is fine. If you want tight shots of the photo, you have to scan at a higher dpi so you can zoom in w/out resolution loss. Don't go too high or it will slow down the program. Adjust photos in Photoshop as needed (cropping, level balance, etc.).**

...also on another track entirely, am I a bit stupid to be buying a last gen PB over a new MacBook Pro? I wont be able to afford the intel native version of FCP, unless I could modify the PPC one to work under Rosetta - but then that is getting a bit dodgy... Has anyone tried this and/or what is performance like?

Again, not to dispute the other reply, but the last gen. PB has/had plenty of problems that have been widely talked about on these forums. The only disadvantage I see to getting a MBP right now is that FCP is not universal. It will be painfully slow under Rosetta, AFIK. If you can wait for universal FCP, get the MBP since all future upgrades will be geared towards the new machines.

juble

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2005
Thanks guys, all good info.

I'm not sure if the PAL makes any difference either? :confused: may be zooming in etc on some photos so maybe 150-200 dpi?

Regards to the PB or MBP, down here in NZ theres not really much in the way of refurbs being sold by apple (as it is run by Renaissance here), only 2nd hand models which rarely pop up from time to time. Also compounding that is there are alot of extra costs compared to buying one overseas in the states(TAX!! arg). I get an edu d/c so PB is $3400 + extra RAM or $4200ish for MBP (can claim some GST back). SO I guess, after all that it just comes down to reliability, and seeing as at Uni they have G5s then a PB might not be too bad... I had bought a new PB last week but got burgled :eek: , so I duno if thats a sign or not haha.

Anyway, thanks for that. Much appreciated! :)

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
PAL is 720*576. 150dpi should be more than enough. But as a test you should scan the same picture in at two or three different resolutions and see what's good enough and what's overkill.

Lethal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.