PDA

View Full Version : iBook - Intermittent Video

iPodGod
Feb 25, 2006, 10:17 PM
I just purchased an iBook (800MHz, 30GB, 128MB) and the video is intermittent. Often times when I start it up, there is no video at all but it is obvious that the computer has booted up. Occassionally, i'll get consistent video with no problems whatsoever. Sometimes, when I do receive video, there are lines on the screen like a connector is loose. I opened it up and disconnected all the connectors and then reconnected them but i'm not 100% familiar with the internal aspect of the machine so it's likely that I missed something crucial. How can I remedy this problem?

Thanks,
Ted

amacgenius
Feb 25, 2006, 10:22 PM
You may be having a common problem a lot of G3 iBook users had, try reading this (http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/) and see if you qualify - if so - take your iBook to an Apple store and show them.

If not, then try replacing the display (although your video card could be fried).

iPodGod
Feb 26, 2006, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the link. Will the fact that I opened up the iBook void my chance at getting a new logic board?

iPodGod
Feb 26, 2006, 12:13 PM
My iBook is 2 months over being 3 years old :(

Mord
Feb 26, 2006, 12:37 PM
when the display go's is it just the backlight, you can test this by putting a bright light behind the apple when it happens, if so you can replace the backlight cable and it will fix the problem, the lines are a symptom of the logic board problem with that you are infact boned, though parts are fairly cheap right now.

iPodGod
Feb 26, 2006, 01:34 PM
It's not the backlight because when I don't get video on the LCD, I also don't get video on an attached external monitor. When I get video on the LCD, I get video perfectly on the attached external monitor. I think all of my problems are a result of a loose/bad cable because when I do get video, there are no lines until I move around the iBook. When I move around the iBook, it sometimes locks up and shows lines. Do you think it's a cable? If so, what cable would it be?

Mord
Feb 26, 2006, 01:37 PM
the logic board problems are caused by the logic board being stressed thus when you move it the little wires in the pcb touch again and it'll have an effect.