PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Pro Freezing

dvaz2000
Feb 26, 2006, 11:43 PM
I have now had my MacBook Pro 2.16 for 5 days and was wondering if people are having problems with their computer freezing. Mine has frozen up 6 TIMES! Three while I was using iPhoto! I can't force quit, in fact I can't get the computer to reboot. The light for sleep mode just flashes repeatedly. I ran the system disk one time and that allowed me to reboot. I used iPhoto for another 30 minutes then it froze again! Now it won't do anything! This is my 6th Mac, my 4th "Power" Book. So far the Intel Mac doesn't look good. Reminds me of a Compaq i mistakenly purchased in 1998!

Kingsly
Feb 27, 2006, 12:27 AM
Restart while holding Apple+option+P+R
Continue holding until you hear the startup chime three times. Then let go and let it boot up. That usually fixes any problems I experience on my eMac.
If not...
Do a clean install of OSX and try again.

mad jew
Feb 27, 2006, 12:28 AM
Since it's so new, I'd send it back to Apple. :)

Kingsly
Feb 27, 2006, 12:30 AM
Linkety: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238

If neither of those things work I suggest following Mad Jew's advise.

dvaz2000
Feb 27, 2006, 10:47 AM
Thanks guys for the advice. It suddenly started working again. I am wondering.....it seems to run fairly hot temperature wise and that is when it freezes. I will try to run it again today and see if the same thing happens....if so will probably need to send back.

mad jew
Feb 27, 2006, 06:34 PM
Is it well ventilated? Usually, if a Mac overheats it falls asleep (lazy bastard) but it's rare to see it freeze. :confused:

Stefo
Aug 3, 2007, 06:32 PM
Similar issue here. I have a brand new MBP 15 " 2.2 GHz with an upgrade to 160 GB at 7200 rpm.
One of the first times I ran Safari I had the freezing problem. It has since happened throughout the week approximately 4 times with only Safari open (with a strong internet connection) and I had to force shutdown each time.

I have another issue, this one with my cd drive, it won't read black memorex cds. I tested the cds on a friends imac and they work fine so it appears to be a drive issue and Apple is taking the computer back.
I'm thinking of getting a desktop because I fear the freezing issuse will continue if I get the same spec's on the same MBP model. You never know and I'm not that tec savy to look into the log file whatnot to investigate the cause of the problem.

MacTO
Aug 4, 2007, 09:00 PM
Thanks guys for the advice. It suddenly started working again. I am wondering.....it seems to run fairly hot temperature wise and that is when it freezes. I will try to run it again today and see if the same thing happens....if so will probably need to send back.

If that happens ever again, call Apple first. Let them know so that if anything worse happens later, they'd know it. (Once you call them, you're in their SYSTEM. :eek:) Particularly, if you have Apple Care, it's a must. Let them know.

Cheers. :apple:

Digital Skunk
Aug 4, 2007, 11:58 PM
Hmm.....

MacBook Pro Freezing....
Mac Pro & Power Mac Forum...

Just kidding.... I know people make mistakes, I don't want to sound like the wannabe moderators that comment on everyone's repeated or misplaced thread, but has nothing worthwhile to add.

There are two types of technology... the ones that work perfectly, and the ones that are a horror and obviously defective. I wouldn't wait or try to fix anything if your light is flashing repeatedly, or even if you fixed it. If there is an Apple Store near you than take advantage of that warranty and send it back.

Sonic
Aug 6, 2007, 01:08 AM
I'm also having the same problem. It's only happened two or three times though, but even that's unaccepatable. I wonder if this is related to the airport kernel panics people have ben mentioning. There's no particular program that makes it happen (VLC and Safari have both done it...) The mouse won't move. If there's sound playing, it stutters until I hold down the power key.

I hope this is a software issue.

mad jew
Aug 6, 2007, 05:58 AM
The AirPort kernel panics are getting logged by Console, so check your crash logs. :)

Sonic
Aug 15, 2007, 01:24 PM
This isn't a kernal panic though... Just a hard freeze. It's cost me my work a few times now. Wondering if I should return it...

mad jew
Aug 15, 2007, 08:09 PM
Okay Sonic, well check Console all the same. If it's a problem caused by a third party app or device then returning the machine won't help at all.

Sinsinnati
Oct 4, 2007, 12:50 PM
My work MacBook Pro is freezing too. Random freezes where the cursor hangs and you can't do nothing but a hard reset. I have completely reinstalled the OS, cleared the PRAM, replaired the disk with Disk Utility and checked the hardware with the Apple Diagnostic tool and Tech Tool Pro. Many people are complaining online but no one seems to have a fix.

Thank god I don't have this problem with my home system that I bought myself. But it is truly embarrassing to have a Mac freeze in a room of Windows users.

saltyzoo
Oct 4, 2007, 01:43 PM
Mine has frozen several times (only a week old) as well.

Twice when I was plugging in an external monitor and USB keyboard / mouse combo.....

Sinsinnati
Oct 4, 2007, 01:47 PM
I too have the 160GB 7200RPM hard drive upgrade and am running 2 1GB sticks of memory (Samsung brand).

I am on the phone with Apple support and they don't seem to have any ideas.

NeXTLoop
Oct 4, 2007, 01:59 PM
I had the same problem with my brand new Santa Rosa 15" MBP freezing periodically. Since getting it, I had never had more than 7 days of uptime, with 4 or 5 being the norm. The machine would freeze with only the mouse still responding. But nothing else would work. I couldn't switch apps, couldn't quit anything, the Finder wouldn't respond, and the machine wouldn't recognize mouse-clicks or keyboard input. It would just let me move the mouse back and forth... and nothing else.

A closer look at the logs showed that the WindowServer was crashing. And it appeared to be related to having an external monitor plugged in. Of the 5 freezes I've had, all but one of them was while my external monitor was plugged in and the machine set to Extend Display. The other time the machine froze, the monitor wasn't plugged in at the moment, but it had been earlier. The Crash Logs showed that even though the monitor wasn't plugged in, CoreGraphics wasn't "releasing" it properly... leading to a crash of the WindowServer.

After looking at the logs and researching it, the conclusion me and another Mac tech came to, is that the NVIDIA drivers that ship with this generation of the MBP are a bit on the buggy side... leading to the conflict with an external monitor. Since I stopped using my monitor, my machine has been running without a hitch, freeze, or hiccup of any kind.

Your mileage may vary...

Sinsinnati
Oct 5, 2007, 09:03 AM
Interesting, I too have the Santa Rosa MBP but my system freezes totally, I can't do anything. Everything is displayed on the screen but the mouse arrow is frozen on the screen. There isn't one key command I can do to bring it back other than pressing the power button and doing a hard crash of the system.

The freezing of my system happens with an external monitor and utilizing only the laptop screen. It is very inconsistent.

NeXTLoop
Oct 5, 2007, 01:07 PM
Interesting, I too have the Santa Rosa MBP but my system freezes totally, I can't do anything. Everything is displayed on the screen but the mouse arrow is frozen on the screen. There isn't one key command I can do to bring it back other than pressing the power button and doing a hard crash of the system.

The freezing of my system happens with an external monitor and utilizing only the laptop screen. It is very inconsistent.

There is one other obscure issue I've found can cause this behavior... especially when the mouse has stopped moving too. That seems to be the difference between that and the issue with the external monitor.

Are you running VMware or Parallels? And if so, do you have FileVault turned on? And if the answer is yes to the above two, is your virtual machine files in your Home folder? If so, that's the problem. Neither of those programs play nice with FileVault. Your virtual machine files have to be outside of your Home folder... or else it will be one hard crash after another, and usually ones a lot worse than the external monitor issue.

patricknovak
Oct 10, 2007, 10:40 AM
My work MacBook Pro is freezing too. Random freezes where you can't do anything but a hard reset. I have completely reinstalled the OS, cleared the PRAM, repaired the disk with Disk Utility and checked the hardware with the Apple Diagnostic tool and Tech Tool Pro.

I have exactly the same problem. I have gone a bit further by using Disk Warrior and ensuring everything is completely up to date. I have noticed as of late that the freeze is occurring more when the monitor goes dark into monitor sleep mode and then when I try to use the computer again I get the spinning ball of death and can't actually make any changes to my programs. The cursor still works though; the machine would freeze with only the mouse still responding. But nothing else would work. I couldn't switch apps, couldn't quit anything, the Finder wouldn't respond, and the machine wouldn't recognize mouse-clicks or keyboard input. It would just let me move the mouse back and forth... and nothing else. I have combed the net and repair manuals looking for a fix.

I speculate that it might be a problem with firmware or SMC or some other default settings that wouldn't be corrected by re-installing OS as that did not fix the problem. I am getting desperate :eek: Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have a MacBook Pro 17 purchased exactly one year ago. This is my first Mac since the 90s and as such I am a bit of a newbie on Terminal and any internal coding so if you could keep that in mind :)

Some additional information:

- when I have to do a hard shut down, I have a very hard time re-starting the computer i.e., I have to reset pram, go into single user mode, use install disk, and so on until at some point the computer recognizes the hard drive and finally re-starts
- I have not been able to use Open Firmware since this problem has started
- I have prepared a firmware update disk to re-install firmware (I do have the latest version already installed), however have not been able to emulate the correct conditions as described by Apple in order to carry out the re-install
- The computer heats up quickly when in this stasis mode as it looks like cooling system is not being controlled properly and/or working
- When I do get the computer to work everything works great until the next freeze up (can be several days later) happens again
- This started happening Sunday Sept 17th

rtemp
Oct 10, 2007, 11:58 AM
Has anyone called Apple on this? I'm glad to see I am not the only one with the problem. Also, has anyone reinstalled and run on a previous version of the OS X to see if that fixes the problem?

I have the exact same problems with my MBP. I did not buy AppleCare and I am now out of warranty. I think my problem started with 10.4.10. I originally thought it was my external monitor that was causing some sort of heat problem but I still have the random lockups without the external monitor. It seems to come in batches too. I might lock up 5 times in a day and then not have a lockup for 2 weeks. Most, but not all, of my lockups have been when I minimize an application right when the genie effect kicks in. I've also had it happen a number of times when the Parallels cube spins. I don't think mine is related to heat. I think it has something to do with the video drivers. I hope Apple addresses this soon (maybe Leopard or 10.4.11???). Otherwise, I am going back to Windows.

saltyzoo
Oct 10, 2007, 12:58 PM
Mine is locking up every morning now when I plug in the external monitor at work. The only other time it has happened is when I'm playing world of warcraft. (which is video intensive)

technogeek
Oct 12, 2007, 04:06 AM
I had the same problem with my brand new Santa Rosa 15" MBP freezing periodically. Since getting it, I had never had more than 7 days of uptime, with 4 or 5 being the norm. The machine would freeze with only the mouse still responding. But nothing else would work. I couldn't switch apps, couldn't quit anything, the Finder wouldn't respond, and the machine wouldn't recognize mouse-clicks or keyboard input. It would just let me move the mouse back and forth... and nothing else.

A closer look at the logs showed that the WindowServer was crashing. And it appeared to be related to having an external monitor plugged in. Of the 5 freezes I've had, all but one of them was while my external monitor was plugged in and the machine set to Extend Display. The other time the machine froze, the monitor wasn't plugged in at the moment, but it had been earlier. The Crash Logs showed that even though the monitor wasn't plugged in, CoreGraphics wasn't "releasing" it properly... leading to a crash of the WindowServer.

After looking at the logs and researching it, the conclusion me and another Mac tech came to, is that the NVIDIA drivers that ship with this generation of the MBP are a bit on the buggy side... leading to the conflict with an external monitor. Since I stopped using my monitor, my machine has been running without a hitch, freeze, or hiccup of any kind.

Your mileage may vary...

This is almost exactly my experience with a 2.4GHz 17" MBP. The screen was entirely locked up and the system totally unresponsive to any key input. I had to do a hard power down. But I could rsh into it and ps showed that the windowserver was chewing up 90% of CPU cycles. The lockup occurs exactly when I plug in the external monitor cable. Also, I got a lockup when I put the lid closed and then pulled out the cable after a lecture. Hope the patch comes soon. My MPB froze at the beginning of a lecture to representatives from Google, Semantec, CISCO, and other luminaries, and it didn't do Apple much for PR.

sfurino
Oct 16, 2007, 11:00 AM
Yeah I'm having the same issue. My 17" 2.4 MBP is not even two weeks old, it frozen on when I tried to give a presentaion for my college writing class. as soon as i pluged in the projector it froze, but when i tested it again in my room with my display from my windows box it worked fine. Now this morning I was just watcing a movie in vlc and it froze on me. I'm going to give apple a call this weekend to see what the probelm is. The video driver issue sounds plausible. I'll update with what apple tells me.

funkycoles
Oct 17, 2007, 11:39 PM
I have the same problem!!
I have had my MacBook pro 2 weeks and it usually crashes when I connect the cable for a projector.... usually with a room full of people waiting for me to present. Bummer!

Any answers from Apple?

HerronVCMac
Oct 28, 2007, 01:04 PM
I seem to have the same issue that everyone here is having. I've had my 15" MBP for a little over a year now... It's been a huge blessing and has never failed or even hiccuped until about a week or two ago.
Every so often my laptop freezes and i have to wait about 20-30 seconds for it to unfreeze. During the freeze I am unable to control anything except the mouse which has turned into the spinning wheel of death. After the 30 seconds it will run for about a minute or two until it freezes again. The freeze is longer and then after that the time between freezes decreases until it finally freezes and won't unfreeze.
I have to do a hard shutdown at this point. When I attempt to restart it just sits at the off white screen until a folder with a question mark pops up. i have noticed it gets hot unusually fast during this period. i repeat this process until it starts up again and it happens all over.
Is there any solutions at all to this? I have information on my mine that I cannot afford to lose with an OS reinstall. I am hoping leopard fixes this, but it doesn't seem to be an OS problem, more of a firmware one.
I called Mac on this but they couldn't help me since my "phone support" expired about 6 months ago. -.-
Any help or suggestions would be great... thanks guys.

saltyzoo
Oct 28, 2007, 01:09 PM
I seem to have the same issue that everyone here is having. I've had my 15" MBP for a little over a year now... It's been a huge blessing and has never failed or even hiccuped until about a week or two ago.
Every so often my laptop freezes and i have to wait about 20-30 seconds for it to unfreeze. During the freeze I am unable to control anything except the mouse which has turned into the spinning wheel of death. After the 30 seconds it will run for about a minute or two until it freezes again. The freeze is longer and then after that the time between freezes decreases until it finally freezes and won't unfreeze.
I have to do a hard shutdown at this point. When I attempt to restart it just sits at the off white screen until a folder with a question mark pops up. i have noticed it gets hot unusually fast during this period. i repeat this process until it starts up again and it happens all over.
Is there any solutions at all to this? I have information on my mine that I cannot afford to lose with an OS reinstall. I am hoping leopard fixes this, but it doesn't seem to be an OS problem, more of a firmware one.
I called Mac on this but they couldn't help me since my "phone support" expired about 6 months ago. -.-

Mine froze every day twice a day when I plugged and unplugged my external monitor for 3 weeks. Then suddenly it stopped happening and hasn't happened for over a week now. I suspect an automatically updated driver....

DaLurker
Oct 28, 2007, 01:19 PM

Exact same thing for my 2.16ghz C2D MBP. All updated, formatted, reset, etc and it still happens. It didn't happen when i first got it but over the summer, it has gotten progressively worse.

At first I thought it was related to memory paging out, but then found it it didn't matter. Anyways I kinda assumed it was nothing, but since I gave the machine to my dad it seems to have gotten worse.

mrdeathgod
Nov 2, 2007, 08:53 PM
Wow I'm glad I found this thread. I just bought a Santa Rosa 15" MacBook Pro 2.2Ghz about 2 weeks ago, and this freezing is really starting to get on my nerves. As others have said, it's pretty inconsistent, but I have been using an external monitor a lot. I also have Parallels installed, but rarely use it. It does, however, keep a couple processes running at all times.

When it freezes, it's just like everyone else has described. The screen freezes, and the system is totally unresponsive except for the mouse cursor. Closing the lid starts the pulsing sleep light, but opening back up just brings same frozen screen, in addition to not asking for the usual wake-from-sleep authentication. Only way to beat it is with a hard powerdown.

As for the causes, the ones I remember...

- Once while jumping through a video playing on VLC on the external monitor.
- Just now, while command-tabbing to Transmission

One more thing, which might be something and might be nothing, is my storage setup, which I imagine is pretty unusual. Right now, I have a dual-drive eSATA enclosure with a pair of 500GB drives. They plug into a two-port eSATA ExpressCard. I keep the drives mirrored via SoftRaid in case one of them fails. The whole setup can be touchy at times, which might not help as far as system stability is concerned.

And does anyone know if this problem persists with Leopard installed? I'm eager to find out.

mrdeathgod
Nov 2, 2007, 09:26 PM
Just remembered two other crash instances...

- Once when booting my WinXP virtual machine via Parallels. Screen flip got about halfway and then froze.

- Once when I had my eSATA enclosure connected and mounted, and then plugged in my 4th gen iPod via FireWire.

mrdeathgod
Nov 2, 2007, 09:35 PM
Oh, and one Gray Curtain of Death, with the following panic.log:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x001A4A55): Unresolved kernel trap (CPU 0, Type 14=page fault), registers:
CR0: 0x8001003b, CR2: 0x00000000, CR3: 0x01387000, CR4: 0x000006e0
EAX: 0x0000061c, EBX: 0x00000000, ECX: 0x046e1020, EDX: 0x00000002
CR2: 0x00000000, EBP: 0x2577b918, ESI: 0x000000d8, EDI: 0x046e1004
EFL: 0x00010206, EIP: 0x00cabeff, CS: 0x00000008, DS: 0x046e0010

Backtrace, Format - Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)
0x2577b6b8 : 0x128d08 (0x3cc0ec 0x2577b6dc 0x131de5 0x0)
0x2577b6f8 : 0x1a4a55 (0x3d2524 0x0 0xe 0x3d1d48)
0x2577b808 : 0x19aeb4 (0x2577b820 0x1 0x2577b838 0x74f67f)
0x2577b918 : 0xca6723 (0x46e1004 0x46b7404 0x3 0x3)
0x2577ba48 : 0x84e60c (0x46e1004 0x46b7404 0x2577bb30 0x2577bb30)
0x2577bb58 : 0x84e33a (0x46e1004 0x468c004 0x1 0x1c)
0x2577bbb8 : 0xca110a (0x46e1004 0x468c004 0x1c 0xce6160)
0x2577bc38 : 0xca14f2 (0x46e1004 0x46b7404 0x100000 0x2577bd4c)
0x2577bd98 : 0xcc74cd (0x46e1004 0x46b7404 0x0 0x19a001)
0x2577be78 : 0x8452ac (0x46e1004 0x4613e04 0x0 0x46e1004)
0x2577bec8 : 0x71540b (0x46e1004 0x4613e04 0x0 0x1352bb)
0x2577bf08 : 0x39b3ff (0x23f6e004 0x4752500 0x1 0x3efa1cc)
0x2577bf58 : 0x39a5d1 (0x4752500 0x135eb4 0x0 0x3efa1cc)
0x2577bf88 : 0x39a307 (0x429a880 0x2577bfd4 0x134c09 0x135eb4)
0x2577bfc8 : 0x19ad2c (0x429a880 0x0 0x19e0b5 0x3ef31e8) Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0x0
Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):
com.apple.nvidia.nv50hal(5.0.6)@0xc56000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.2)@0x5b9000
dependency: com.apple.NVDAResman(5.0.6)@0x701000
com.apple.NVDAResman(5.0.6)@0x701000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.2)@0x5b9000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily(1.4.7)@0x6d7000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONDRVSupport(1.4.7)@0x6f2000

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 8.10.3: Wed Jun 27 23:29:36 PDT 2007; root:xnu-792.23.3~1/RELEASE_I386

talazem
Nov 5, 2007, 12:18 PM
I'm also having the same problem. 2.2ghz Macbook Pro running Leopard 10.5. I also use an external monitor frequently, though the freezing has not always been when connected or recently disconnected to the external. I just came back from using it out of the house, popped it open, and got: 1. black screen for 30 seconds, 2. normal screen but basically unresponsive, 3. responsive to the keyboard, but absolutely no mouse control. In the end I had to hard reboot. This has happened a few times now, and is getting in the way of work.

mrdeathgod
Nov 6, 2007, 02:07 AM
Well, so much for Leopard fixing the problem. Just came back to the MBP with the screensaver running on both the LCD and an external screen. I also had VLC paused on the external display from earlier. But sure enough, the screensaver was frozen in place, and the fan was running pretty hard. My guess is that the WindowServ process was the one stressing the CPU, as others have observed this. Not exactly the quality I was expecting for a $2000 investment.

Something else I've noticed, is that the light on the MagSafe plug goes out when one of these freezes occurs, even though the system remains on AC power. The light doesn't come back on until the MagSafe is removed and reconnected.

jcmeza
Nov 6, 2007, 04:47 PM
I'm glad to hear, I'm not the only one with this problem. I also have a MBP, dual core 2.4 GHz. This just started happening to me about 4 weeks ago. At first I thought it was just something random, but it's now easy to reproduce whenever I plug my MBP into a projector for a presentation. The only solution I've found is to shutdown my laptop first, plug it into the projector and then reboot. A bit of a pain, but better than making everybody wait after it hangs.
I was hoping Leopard would fix it, but I guess that's not going to happen.

Killyp
Nov 6, 2007, 05:13 PM
It would help if EVERYBODY let us know what OS they were running.

I'm having issues with my MacBook Pro as well, random lock-ups and kernel panics/grey curtains related with the AirPort, and once a lock-up when I connected an external monitor.

This has all started happening since upgrading to Leopard, something to be fixed in 10.5.1 methinks...

jcmeza
Nov 6, 2007, 05:22 PM
It would help if EVERYBODY let us know what OS they were running.

I'm having issues with my MacBook Pro as well, random lock-ups and kernel panics/grey curtains related with the AirPort, and once a lock-up when I connected an external monitor.

This has all started happening since upgrading to Leopard, something to be fixed in 10.5.1 methinks...

My bad (rookie mistake). Here's the relevant info for my system:
Mac OS X 10.4.10 (8R2232), Darwin 8.10.1 and Boot ROM Version: MBP31.0070.B02

mjxg
Nov 19, 2007, 11:16 AM
I just purchased a new 15" 2.2ghz mbp on friday and i'm having this freezing problem as well and the cursor and all keys don't respond.

Interestingly enough, i'm not using any external monitors, and i've only been using wireless to connect to the internet. it isn't power supply related as i've had it happen about 6 times, 3 plugged in, 3 not.

even more interesting is that if I close the laptop (cause it to go to sleep) and re-open it after it sleeps, i can continue using it again.

i know everyone here so far has been hard rebooting their machine - has anyone tried closing the laptop like i have to see if it works?

like i said, this is a brand new mbp. it came with tiger on it and i did a full format and install of Leopard. it is currently fully up-to-date (at least software update says so).

NeXTLoop
Nov 19, 2007, 11:44 AM
One thing that seems to aggravate the issue, at least on my machine, is if Growl in installed. It seems to hang up the system trying to catch notifications, especially when the machine is waking the display after its gone dark from inactivity.

Of course, YMMV.

mjxg
Nov 19, 2007, 09:38 PM
Hmmm. I also have Growl installed. I can't remember if this happened before that was installed though.

NeXTLoop
Nov 19, 2007, 09:53 PM
Having said that about Growl, I did have one lockup yesterday without Growl. But I also had my screensaver set to require password before unlocking.

Prior to that, I went over a week without a freeze... without Growl and without my screensaver set to require password.

yoda13
Nov 19, 2007, 10:18 PM
Similar issue here. I have a brand new MBP 15 " 2.2 GHz with an upgrade to 160 GB at 7200 rpm.
One of the first times I ran Safari I had the freezing problem. It has since happened throughout the week approximately 4 times with only Safari open (with a strong internet connection) and I had to force shutdown each time.

slightly off course here, but I have a black macbook that does exactly the same thing...one call to applecare and one trip to the apple store and they tell me that it is a corrupt preferences file or something of that nature and that the computer is fine....we shall see, I haven't found the culprit yet, but it freezes up just as you and others describe and more often than not Safari is open...also doesn't matter if its leopard or tiger...

DaLurker
Nov 25, 2007, 11:45 AM
slightly off course here, but I have a black macbook that does exactly the same thing...one call to applecare and one trip to the apple store and they tell me that it is a corrupt preferences file or something of that nature and that the computer is fine....we shall see, I haven't found the culprit yet, but it freezes up just as you and others describe and more often than not Safari is open...also doesn't matter if its leopard or tiger...

For my MBP it can't be a corrupt preference file since a fresh install and I'm still having that problem. Unless the suite of software I install is the culprit.... hmm......

I have tried to run memtest looping overnight and it doesn't seem to be a memory issue. I've tried two different sticks of 1gb (2x1gb Apple OEM, and 2x1gb Kingmax) and still have the issue.

The laptop is in Vietnam with my dad right now and I plan to bring it to the Apple Store when he's back over Christmas, but I'm not sure what they'll be willing to do for us considering it is such an obscure and hard to reproduce issue.

velvetelvis
Dec 12, 2007, 09:36 PM
mb w/leopard. freezing after girlfriend uses it... and only then. not a joke, it never froze until she used it for the first time 2 weeks ago. i got in long enough to run repair disk permissions and had a lot of suid (i think thats what they were) errors that could not be fixed.

i had a ms mouse plugged in when it first froze tonight. hard reset w/no mouse and it froze at the blue screen. hard reset again. froze at blue screen again. hard reset again and made it to the desktop. emptied trash and a file could not be deleted as it was in use. not sure who or what was using it. not me, i no that. finally got that to delete. froze. hard reset and ran repair disk. could not repair disk. froze. ran repair disk permissions and had the errors mentioned above... very frustrating. i switched from xp to apple because i thought this was not supposed to happen to apples. i thought wrong. but i still love my mb and really want to get it fixed....

oh, i also did the restart while pressing cmd, optn, p and r... didnt work. frozen as i type on my somewhat reliable xp desktop... damn you apple, why do you make me love you and then treat me like a $2 hooker?

sergeytodorov
Jan 10, 2008, 10:32 AM
Santa Rosa chipset
MacBook Pro, 2.2GHz
128MB VRAM
4GB RAM
NVidia 8600M GT
Leopard 10.5.1

It froze 2 times in 2 days. Both times with an external monitor hooked up. First time lid closed (so only external display), second time with the lid open (so extended displays).

One thing to note is that both times, AirPort was disabled as the Mac was hooked to Ethernet.
Both times Safari was running and I think was the front-most window..
I suspected heat issues, but as I see there are a LOT of users experiencing this problem?
Edit: By the way, both times OS X froze completely - mouse cursor not moving or anything. But if there was an MP3 track playing, it would continue playing until its end, and then no next track would start...

Anyone find a solution yet? Thanks!

kbalazs
Jan 20, 2008, 09:04 AM
dear apple-consuming community!

i've found a simple but working(for me) solution for the freeze-on-attach-a-seconddisplay problem.

it is very simple.

You have to turn on the computer
attach the DVI-VGA adapter (only the cable! not the monitor!)
the screen makes a blue effect - it's the good way
attach the external monitor on the VGA end of the adapter
use it - maybe this time it detects not simply, but next time it'll do a normal monitor detection.

in the future You doesNOT need to do this procedure, simply attach what You want.

that's all. please send me chocolades and listen Radio Periszkop ;)

janibrooke
Jan 23, 2008, 11:33 PM
If that happened to mine after a few days I would go right back to the Apple Store. It did recently happen to me (after a year of owning it), along w/ startup issues, and Disk Warrior cured the problem.

MrSquiggleswrth
Jan 25, 2008, 01:46 PM
Hello, Everyone.

I just received a refurb MBP 2.2 GHz 4 days ago, and am having petty much the same thing. First freeze was about an hour after I unpacked it. Screen freezes solid with normal desktop, mouse moves but nothing else happening.

Most times I can SSH into it from another computer, but not always, and can do "sudo reboot" (better than hard power, at least).

Weird part is, I tried running "yes > /dev/null &" on the first day, and after patching it never happened again, so I thought it was fixed. But I forgot that the "yes" was running, pinning both CPU cores at 100%. Without "yes" running, it reliably locks up within 20 minutes or so, but with "yes" running it seems to go on forever (until I kill the "yes" and it dies in 5-20 min).

Never seen anything like this, and stumbled upon it by accident. Anyone else see the same pattern? Maybe it's a clue to the cause?

BTW - to the external monitor points, I have tried with and without an external monitor, both mirrored and as a second display; makes no difference for me.

--
MBP 2.2
Leopard, most recent patches
2 GB mem
Santa Rosa (I think, not sure how to verify)

MacDNA
Feb 5, 2008, 05:42 PM
I can confirm that connecting the DVI-VGA connector by itself, waiting for the blue screen flash, and then (and only then) connecting the VGA cable eliminated MacBook Pro freeze ups that made it difficult for me to connect a projector to my computer. I usually need to do a "detect displays" after the VGA cable is attached. Its not an elegant procedure, but rebooting to start a presentation is certainly worse.

Thank you for your posting!!!!!

dear apple-consuming community!

i've found a simple but working(for me) solution for the freeze-on-attach-a-seconddisplay problem.

it is very simple.

You have to turn on the computer
attach the DVI-VGA adapter (only the cable! not the monitor!)
the screen makes a blue effect - it's the good way
attach the external monitor on the VGA end of the adapter
use it - maybe this time it detects not simply, but next time it'll do a normal monitor detection.

in the future You doesNOT need to do this procedure, simply attach what You want.

that's all. please send me chocolades and listen Radio Periszkop ;)

saltyzoo
Feb 5, 2008, 05:45 PM
I don't have any problems as long as I wake the computer up before connecting the external monitor. It works every time. But if I connect the monitor while the lid is closed....

DaLurker
Feb 5, 2008, 06:52 PM
Well turns out my computer was crashing because of a bad battery. It was not giving the computer enough voltage causing a lockup. Eventually the battery got so bad it would shut down at 80% battery life.

Having replaced the battery, the computer no long crashes.

kbalazs
Feb 6, 2008, 02:43 AM
a small solution to the locking problem: first plug in only the dvi-vga cable, without the external display connected.
Then blue screen comes (it's good), then You can plug in the external display to the empty end of the cable.

best

Sinsinnati
Feb 7, 2008, 11:07 PM
Worst Mac I have ever had. It froze 5 times while I was on a business trip last week, once on the plane. My freezes have always been a total freeze, nothing moves. The cursor is frozen and the only thing I can do is hit the power button. I have since installed Leopard and I did a clean install and the freezes continue.

I have called Apple and they want my laptop to test. The problem is that it is a work laptop and I can't let the Apple store hold it for three plus days. Plus there is company only data on the disk. Apple needs a better program for businesses. Dell would send a Rep out to the site and swap out the mother board or whatever needs to be repaired. It seems like it is a graphics card hang to me.

On the flip side my iMac at home has never froze and has been the most problem free system I have ever owned.

PowerPointSamur
Feb 14, 2008, 04:41 PM
I've had my 2.16GHz 17" MacBook Pro since they first came out, and I only recently began to have this problem. I would routinely have uptimes of WEEKS (and only then because I shut it down to take it somewhere), and my G5 cranks out uptimes of months, and only then because of security updates.

Then suddenly it began freezing around Halloween 2007 culminating in a total hard drive failure. Luckily I began backing it up when it started crashing a lot before the drive totally failed. I was a little ticked off, but upgraded the stock Seagate 7200rpm 100GB for a Hitachi 7200rpm 200GB (because I heard about the problems with Seagate) and got Leopard installed while I was at it.

Everything ran fine until around Christmas, where it began freezing TOTALLY a few times a week (sometimes a few times a day). I tried everything you all talked about here, such as Disk Utility, Diagnostic, Disk Warrior, etc. but not TechTool Pro (which sounds like it won't tell me anything either). I tried zapping the PRAM, trashing the OS cache, etc. too.

Until I read this forum, I thought I might be overheating it by running it hard. I run processor intensive apps, and run BOINC when I'm not, so I'm running around 100% processor 24/7/365. The processor temp usually hangs out around 80C (the hard drive is at about 40C). I didn't buy the 17" primarily for portability, I bought it for the screen and the performance to run the apps I need, so I'm not very receptive to criticism that this is happening because I'm running it too hard. Besides, my G5 and G3 (although desktops) ran for years with no problems. After reading this forum, I'm pretty sure it's not a heat issue anyway.

One final note: sometimes I get a little warning that it's going to freeze because some graphics artifacts appear on the screen. For example, sometimes I get a transparent light blue swoosh across part of the screen, as if it were a layer of the genie effect of putting something into or out of the dock. Other times I get something like a line of TV static a few pixels wide that runs horizontally across some random part of the screen. Anyone else had that?

Fel
Feb 14, 2008, 06:25 PM
Hopes this helps users with the freezing problem. I'm trying it now to fix the same issue others are having. Total system freeze. Link is to the Apple discussion forum. A user there is suggesting that this is a hardware problem with a ribbon cable under the battery. I checked mine and sure enough noticed the problem he described. Worth a try.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1365569&tstart=60

Fel

PowerPointSamur
Feb 15, 2008, 11:53 AM
Hopes this helps users with the freezing problem. I'm trying it now to fix the same issue others are having. Total system freeze. Link is to the Apple discussion forum. A user there is suggesting that this is a hardware problem with a ribbon cable under the battery. I checked mine and sure enough noticed the problem he described. Worth a try.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1365569&tstart=60

Fel

I'll give that a shot. However, my problem is not merely the keyboard and mouse seizing up--the entire system locks up. On several occasions I had a process running and I could see it stop when the system became unresponsive. The whole system is freezing, not just my inputs. That might be consistent with what that user described as a kernel panic following the loss of input control.

Another thing that frustrates me about it is that while a normal crash would generate a diagnostic packet to send to Apple for their evaluation and a possible patch, this never does, so in the event it is a software related issue, they are likely oblivious to it. If it's hardware and the OS never gets a chance to generate a log of what happened, no wonder Apple is in denial about it--they don't know unless people call, and then they initially deny it in the absence of aforementioned diagnostic packets.

PowerPointSamur
Feb 15, 2008, 03:31 PM
By the way, Fel, I hope you do not construe my last post as downplaying your find--it is fantastic. On further reflection I think it may indeed have something to do with my situation, because I too had a battery problem. My battery case literally ruptured open and mushroomed out below the case and also pushed up into the trackpad cavity. I got the replacement battery a long time before my hard drive problem developed though, but it's possible with the installation of the new one, or heating or what ever it might've done something to that ribbon you mentioned. It's also possible that the guys who installed my new HD maybe pinched something inadvertently.

I'd be curious to know how many others having this freeze issue also had battery problems.

Fel
Feb 16, 2008, 09:37 AM
I'm still trying to figure out if my freezes are hardware or software, but the linked thread from the Apple discussion forum got me thinking. My freezes started with Leopard, but looking back they also started when I began using about 2 batteries a day and thus was constantly swapping. I also had slight swelling from my first battery (replaced under warranty) that distorted the battery bay slightly. My 2 new batteries do not fit as flush or precisely as when new. Also, I spend a lot of time computing on the couch and in bed, and thus the laptop is used at different angles and on pillows, limbs, etc. I just ensure that the vent is clear.

So it seems possible that there is some battery movement, combined with different pressure and a loose ribbon cable that could cause hardware-related lockups.

In any case, I'm getting total freezes that require power-button to reset. Very annoying and un-Mac. I'm on a MBP 2.33 with 3GB RAM.

PowerPointSamur
Feb 19, 2008, 08:27 PM
I ran an update a day or two ago labeled "Leopard Graphics Update", but it makes me nervous that I haven't seen any press on it here or anywhere else. The problem hasn't happened since then though. So far, so good. I also installed another 1GB RAM since then too, but I think it did crash after the RAM, but before the graphics update. Like I said, so far, so good though.

Your hypothesis about the bay is interesting. I didn't have problems immediately after my battery swelled--it took a few months before my HD failed, and then the new HD and everything worked fine again for a while.

pianoman124
Mar 26, 2008, 01:17 PM
I'm having the same problems many of you guys are describing, only I have a few extra thoughts to add to this forum. My computer has been freezing FREQUENTLY for the past several days and the whole situation with it is beginning to make me VERY nervous... All of the symptoms I'm experiencing are just a little too familiar! I had an iBook G4 (last build) and it had a problem with the Graphics Processing Unit where the processor soldering joints were weak and would move when they got hot, causing the display to freeze and the computer to become unresponsive. The lovely folks at Apple told me the only way to fix this was to replace the Logic Board-- so instead, I bought (what was then) a new Macbook Pro 15" )1.83 GHz Intel. I bought the very first version, and have had some pretty fantastic problems with it-- all of which have been covered by Apple because they point to defects in craftmanship. This is a brand new problem though. My computer will randomly freeze when I'm using it, and generally during something graphics-intensive, although that does not always need to be the case. Here are some thoughts:
1.) I just recently installed the latest Security Update (Tiger) 2008-002 and was not experiencing any problems until I did.
2.) I also recently bought an external monitor and was using it flawlessly for about a week before anything started to happen.
3.) I've noticed that my computer freezes when the temperature gets very high (145-160F).
4.) My keyboard becomes COMPLETELY unresponsive. The Caps Lock light doesn't even light up when I push the button-- the screen freezes totally and I have to hard reset with the power button.
5.) Sometimes it takes 4 or 5 restarts to make it all the way to the desktop, and then it's a coin-toss as to whether or not it will work long enough for me to even check my e-mail.
6.) Airport is disabled.
7.) The computer initially only froze when I had the extra monitor plugged in, now it freezes without the monitor there, and from a fresh boot.

I'm not sure what the problem is, but it seems that if so many people are having these problems that Apple should surely address them!! ANY comments or feedback would be SO GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Thanks!
Charlie

rev316
Mar 30, 2008, 03:27 PM
Running into the same. I'm also using an external display.

Mostly using Mail, iTunes, and Safari.

Trigger whens I sync my mail sometimes, or run flash content. Inconsistent.

(latest mac updates have been applied)

Help us Apple!

malabarien
May 22, 2008, 05:22 AM
Hello,

sometimes my macbook pro 2,16 Mhz freezes.
If it plays audio, it scraches like an old LP.
I am using that computer to work.
My first idea was to burn an apple store (hi...).
Is there a best way (as apple is silent about the problem ?

Thank you.

SPCMirvis
Jun 5, 2008, 05:27 PM
I have the same problem and it has nothing to do with the wires, etc.
It is a ram error due to upgrades, etc. When upgrading your Macbooks and Macbook Pro's keep in mind that you can only use MAC's ram and no matter how good Crucial is, there are problems similar to the ones every one here is experiencing.

gwsat
Jun 5, 2008, 05:51 PM
I have the same problem and it has nothing to do with the wires, etc.
It is a ram error due to upgrades, etc. When upgrading your Macbooks and Macbook Pro's keep in mind that you can only use MAC's ram and no matter how good Crucial is, there are problems similar to the ones every one here is experiencing.
I upgraded the ram in my PowerBook G4 when I first got it five years ago. I bought a third party chip instead of one from Apple because doing so saved me a BUNCH of money. I have never had a moment's trouble with it. Make of that what you will.

malabarien
Jun 5, 2008, 11:33 PM
Hello,

For me the solution was to backup all files, and install Leopard after erasing the hard drive.
Do not upgrade to Leopard, simply erase all and install Leopard.

Try this and tell us.

Jerome.

SPCMirvis
Jun 6, 2008, 11:57 PM
Three things which could possibly be going on if your macbook is freezing.
But before you go all crazy about it, IT IS A HARDWARE ISSUE!!!!

1.) You upgraded to a generic ram... Macs don't work well on Generic Ram
2.) THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED TO ME: My Ram Chips were loose
3.) Bad Ram Chips

My Ram chips were loose and for some reason they were really screwing up my MBP. The computer was constantly crashing, wouldn't start up half the time and was crazilly over heating. I recently upgraded to crucial ram and apparently, the ram chips were loose.

This is the Kernel Panic Error I was having:

Thu Jun 5 01:28:40 2008
panic(cpu 0 caller 0x00192FD4): "pmap_flush_tlbs() timeout: " "cpu 1 failing to respond to interrupts, pmap=0x536500 cpus_to_signal=2"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1228.5.18/osfmk/i386/pmap.c:4570
Backtrace, Format - Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)
0x6a6f39c8 : 0x12b0fa (0x459294 0x6a6f39fc 0x133243 0x0)
0x6a6f3a18 : 0x192fd4 (0x45f404 0x1 0x536500 0x2)
0x6a6f3a88 : 0x1932b8 (0x0 0x1 0x0 0x6faea64)
0x6a6f3b38 : 0x195721 (0x536500 0x5b278000 0x0 0xfead93c0)
0x6a6f3b98 : 0x169e6f (0x536500 0x5b278000 0x0 0x5b2f8000)
0x6a6f3cb8 : 0x16a437 (0x5b2f8000 0x0 0x1 0x0)
0x6a6f3cf8 : 0x164699 (0x1b83f78 0x5b278000 0x0 0x5b2f8000)
0x6a6f3d38 : 0x1fac6b (0x1b83f78 0x5b278000 0x80000 0x6a6f3dc8)
0x6a6f3df8 : 0x1faee0 (0x0 0x48477914 0x11193 0x328054)
0x6a6f3e38 : 0x333ba1 (0x6e42f00 0x2 0x0 0x6eefe70)
0x6a6f3ea8 : 0x1f6af2 (0x6cbbb90 0x2 0x6c99ac4 0x1f60ab)
0x6a6f3ee8 : 0x1e0514 (0x6cbbb90 0x2 0x6c99ac4 0xf)
0x6a6f3f08 : 0x1db2e5 (0x6cbbb90 0x0 0x1 0x199e88)
0x6a6f3f48 : 0x1e0549 (0x1 0x1e04dc 0x0 0x1a8e9f)
0x6a6f3f78 : 0x3dddda (0x6eefe70 0x6c999c0 0x6c99a04 0x6d73128)
0x6a6f3fc8 : 0x19f2c3 (0x72a6f00 0x1 0x1a20b5 0x72a3120)
Backtrace continues...

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: update

Mac OS version:
9D34

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 9.3.0: Fri May 23 00:49:16 PDT 2008; root:xnu-1228.5.18~1/RELEASE_I386
System model name: MacBookPro4,1 (Mac-F42C89C8)

==================================
15 Inch 2.5 Intel Dual Core
4 Gig Ram
250 HD
512 Geforce 8600GT

I LOVE THIS THING!!!!!!!
==================================

SDW2001
Jun 21, 2008, 08:16 AM
My work MacBook Pro is freezing too. Random freezes where the cursor hangs and you can't do nothing but a hard reset. I have completely reinstalled the OS, cleared the PRAM, replaired the disk with Disk Utility and checked the hardware with the Apple Diagnostic tool and Tech Tool Pro. Many people are complaining online but no one seems to have a fix.

Thank god I don't have this problem with my home system that I bought myself. But it is truly embarrassing to have a Mac freeze in a room of Windows users.

I have the same issue with a 2.33ghz/factory 2GB MBP, circa 2006. I can't find a fix either. Same thing happens...the cursor freezes. It usually happens online. First it slows down, then everything freezes. A hard restart is the only option. Some have said they think it's bad RAM, and I can't see how that's possible. It's unlikely since there is nothing third party installed.

deputy_doofy
Jun 26, 2008, 05:23 AM
Count me in on this. I've had my MBP since 10/2006 and it first froze last night. Rebooted by holding down the power button. It froze again. Both times, I was on battery power and surfing the web (FF3). I reset the PRAM and had no further issues thus far.

I checked system profiler for S.M.A.R.T. status, checked SMARTReporter and the Leopard version of Techtool for a more detailed hardware check. ALL normal. I blame this on Leopard... perhaps something with 10.5.3 did it for me.

WTF, Apple?

WacMac
Nov 14, 2008, 06:49 PM
I also was having random total freezes of my new MacBook Pro. I took it to an Apple Genius at the Apple store. The Genius new right away it was either bad ram or poorly seated ram. He reseated the ram, PROBLEM SOLVED!:D

Eric1811
Dec 17, 2008, 08:27 PM
I can totally feel your pain, middle of an important meeting, keynote presentation looking good...blam: do the dance while you hard start your Mac.
I have a MBP 17" 2.16 DC, 1 G Ram. It has had a hard drive transplant and a Fastmac card install. I also had a battery go bad (swollen), which was replaced. Anyway, it started to freeze, like many have described, keyboard, mouse, scratched LP. I initially noted this problem when connecting to a projector, now it does it at random times for no apparent reason. I had the genius check it out, nothing found. I have no idea what is going on but it has all but rendered this an overpriced paperweight.
Has anyone considered the logic board? Perhaps a software hang up? Not sure, but still working on process of elimination on the installed programs.

proof15
Apr 25, 2010, 06:09 AM
I`ve had the same issue. Searched in all forums till i found solution.
Put installation disc of Snow Leopard in the super drive. Restart the machine and hold down "C" untill grey logo of apple appears. You will have to wait some time for the disc to be recognized and open. Move the arrow/cursor on top of the screen and you will see the taskbar. Click on Utilities, then on Disk Utility, select your Macintosh HD, select First Aid and do Verify Disk/Repair Disk and Verify Permissions/Repair Permissions. When finish click File/Quit Disk utility and restart your machine. After that simply procedure i can say i dont have any issues. Hope i helped to someone and sorry for my bad English. :apple:

WacMac
Apr 26, 2010, 11:21 AM
Never apologize for your English. At least you are trying! :)

gshupp
Dec 7, 2010, 05:40 PM
You don't know how I have suffered with the freezing cursor since I bought my Macbook Pro for which I pay one hundred a month and can't use it. I had an Apple expert help me while it was under warranty, and I took it to an Apple shop which didn't fix it. Now it is still freezing, and the only choice I have since the computer is no longer under warranty is to pay more for help in addition to the one hundred a month I now pay. A service plan of $349.00 would be the same I would pay for an inexpensive replacement. Woe is me and a curse on Apple.

gshupp
Dec 8, 2010, 07:36 AM
Ever since my Macbook Pro caught the frozen cursor syndrome all it will say is "damn you, Apple; damn you, Apple; damn you, Apple."

peelincaps
Apr 6, 2011, 03:23 AM
My macbook has been freezing for the last 4 months. After pulling most of my hair out, I decided to take a stand as the techs at apple have failed to repair the problem on two seperate occassions. I decided to disassemble my macbook and just have a look inside. The first thing I noticed is that the heat sink was loose so I removed it, cleaned the old heatsink compound off, put some new stuff on and screwed it on tight. Then I removed the memory and inspected the pins inside the banks with a magnifying glass and a flashlight. To my amazement, I found two pins in the right bank were covered with that white gunk. After I cleaned the banks out with some alcohol and an q-tip, I reinserted the memory. I'm very proud to say that after all that, I've fixed the problem. I tested my macbook by playing 720p videos for hours on end and guess what, no freezing!!! I RULE!!:) ---- TELL THE MASSES, WE FIGURED OUT HOW TO BRING THOSE SONS OF BITCHES DOWN!!!

ajsnow6234
May 10, 2011, 07:14 AM
So...my Macbook Pro has been freezing and the display shows the attached picture. It's not overheating, that I'm certain off. It's done it about 6 times this past week and when it happens I can't restart without it happening again at boot up. I've done PRAM reset and nothing helps. Appt with the Genius Bar today...

TresMusical1020
Apr 9, 2013, 07:28 PM
I have now had my MacBook Pro 2.16 for 5 days and was wondering if people are having problems with their computer freezing. Mine has frozen up 6 TIMES! Three while I was using iPhoto! I can't force quit, in fact I can't get the computer to reboot. The light for sleep mode just flashes repeatedly. I ran the system disk one time and that allowed me to reboot. I used iPhoto for another 30 minutes then it froze again! Now it won't do anything! This is my 6th Mac, my 4th "Power" Book. So far the Intel Mac doesn't look good. Reminds me of a Compaq i mistakenly purchased in 1998!

This may sound weird to everyone, but you are lucky.
Many people have had their lap top do that way more times than yours has. Including me. But I can give you a solution for if that keeps happening for a while. Call Apple and ask them why it's doing that, and how to stop it from ever doing it again. :apple::cool:

WacMac
Apr 9, 2013, 11:09 PM

I also was having random total freezes of my new MacBook Pro. I took it to an Apple Genius at the Apple store. The Genius new right away it was either bad ram or poorly seated ram. He reseated the ram, PROBLEM SOLVED! Mac should only be used with Apple ram as other brands have also been know to cause this problem.