PDA

View Full Version : folding with the console




howard
Jan 23, 2003, 10:25 PM
i'd like to run my folding on the console but i'm completely ignorant of running it on there. can you run me through a little step by step of how? do any of you also know some kinda of tutorial site i can go to to learn more about the console? thanks for your help



Rower_CPU
Jan 23, 2003, 11:07 PM
Have you looked here?

http://folding.stanford.edu/OSX/OSX.html#console

howard
Jan 23, 2003, 11:36 PM
excuse my ignorance...how do i "cd into the desktop directory"....? i'm unfamiliar with console commands...

mc68k
Jan 24, 2003, 10:20 AM
howard:

i can send you a script that will set up console folding 4 u.

if you want a step-by-step you can AIM me XPC7400 and I'll be glad to help.

howard
Jan 24, 2003, 12:15 PM
i don't use aim, actually i am not a big fan of instant messaging...you can email me though at howardface@hotmail.com

i did figure out how to cd to the desktop...and i learned to type pwd to find out whats in it..and the os x-3.24 program was in there but when i typed that in it didn't do anything!! so i don't know whats up...

jelloshotsrule
Jan 24, 2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by mc68k
howard:

i can send you a script that will set up console folding 4 u.

if you want a step-by-step you can AIM me XPC7400 and I'll be glad to help.

this nerd does it all....

pm him

Rower_CPU
Jan 24, 2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by howard
i don't use aim, actually i am not a big fan of instant messaging...you can email me though at howardface@hotmail.com

i did figure out how to cd to the desktop...and i learned to type pwd to find out whats in it..and the os x-3.24 program was in there but when i typed that in it didn't do anything!! so i don't know whats up...

The instructions are right there in the link I gave you:

2) Open up a Terminal window and cd into the Desktop directory. To ensure you can execute the application, type
chmod +x OSX-3.24

3) Now, type
./OSX-3.24
to run the program.

4) You will be asked a series of questions to set up the configuration. The first of these will be what User name you would like to use--this is so that you can track your work on the statistics web page.

5) The application will download the scientific core (may take a few minu tes) and then get to work. If you would like to hide the terminal, just choose Hide Terminal from the Terminal menu.

howard
Jan 24, 2003, 01:17 PM
duh i'm retarded...i was typing "osx-3.24" instead of "./osx-3.24" like i said i don't know much about using the terminal, but would like to learn

thanks for your help

howard
Jan 24, 2003, 01:52 PM
one more quick question...i noticed in the console demo they have on the folding site i shows number of frames and number of frames completed...mine doesn't show that...heres what it looks like:

[19:26:21] - Ask before connecting: No
[19:26:21] - User name: howard (Team 3446)
[19:26:21] - User ID = 5E274D8D23750A30
[19:26:21] - Machine ID: 1
[19:26:21]
[19:26:21] Loaded queue successfully.
[19:26:21] + Benchmarking ...
[19:26:25]
[19:26:25] + Processing work unit
[19:26:25] Core required: FahCore_65.exe
[19:26:25] Core found.
[19:26:25] Working on Unit 07 [January 24 19:26:25]
[19:26:25] + Working ...
[19:26:25] Folding@Home Client Core Version 2.47 (June 14, 2002)
[19:26:25]
[19:26:25] Proj: work/wudata_07
[19:26:25] nsteps: 1000000 dt: 2.000000 dt_dump: 100.000000 temperature: 340.000000
[19:26:25] xyzfile:
[19:26:25] " 343 P190_1fsvunf340
[19:26:25] 1 CH3 -18.270054 23.364026 6.017604 7 ..."
[19:26:25] keyfile:
[19:26:25] "NOVERSION
[19:26:25] ARCHIVE
[19:26:25]
[19:26:25] printout 1000
[19:26:25] writeout 1000
[19:26:25]
[19:26:25] integrate ..."
[19:26:25]
[19:26:25] Hashes matched on file work/wudata_07.dyn

sorry to keep bugging about this, i'm just very curious

mc68k
Jan 24, 2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by howard
one more quick question...i noticed in the console demo they have on the folding site i shows number of frames and number of frames completed...you might be able to coax more info out of it with a verbosity switch like this:./OSX-3.24 -verbosity #where # is a number from 0 to 9 i believe. (make sure to kill the folding processes first, otherwise you'll have N instances running at 100/N% idle processor)

if that doesn't work, you can always find the info in this directory:

/Users/username/Library/Folding@home/work

There should be one or more files in there named logfile_0X.txt, where X is an arbitrary number. open this file with simple text and scroll to the bottom.

To find how many frames are in a given protein, go here (http://folding.stanford.edu/psummary.html) and look up the protein number.

howard
Jan 25, 2003, 03:28 PM
hey, thanks everyone for your help. i've been enjoying folding with the terminal, i also think its a big faster on my ibook 700mhz. also just thought i'd ask, are there servers really bogged down today? i just finished a wu this morning and it wouldn't turn in...then i looked on there site at some stats and for today theres a huge peak in like every team. i hope i get credit for that wu!!!!

thanks again

janey
Jan 25, 2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by howard
hey, thanks everyone for your help. i've been enjoying folding with the terminal, i also think its a big faster on my ibook 700mhz. also just thought i'd ask, are there servers really bogged down today? i just finished a wu this morning and it wouldn't turn in...then i looked on there site at some stats and for today theres a huge peak in like every team. i hope i get credit for that wu!!!!

thanks again

I think the huge peak was due to the worm, not you ;)

Just kidding...

mc68k
Jan 25, 2003, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by übergeek
I think the huge peak was due to the worm, not you ;)the Stanford servers go down all the time. it could be attributable to the worm, but it goes down at least twice a week.

janey
Jan 25, 2003, 10:42 PM
ahh well. all servers go down eventually.